Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2022, 11:31 AM   #1
FroudeyBrand

Default Car sellers, why you do this?

I am in the market for a new car (well new second hand car/ute)

Aside from the crackhead prices asking 10K for a XH Xr6 Manaul ute with 500K (yes the car is still on gumtree)

But can people not clean cars? The amount of cars I've seen from simple dirty floors all the way to photos with dirty car seats and rubbish on the floor and alike.

Why?
FroudeyBrand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Car sellers, why you do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroudeyBrand View Post
I am in the market for a new car (well new second hand car/ute)

Aside from the crackhead prices asking 10K for a XH Xr6 Manaul ute with 500K (yes the car is still on gumtree)

But can people not clean cars? The amount of cars I've seen from simple dirty floors all the way to photos with dirty car seats and rubbish on the floor and alike.

Why?
Nothing new, people either dont care or dont realise that they are ferals.
I'll often use it as a bargaining point suggesting a detail be required and once the deal is done I reveal my detailing background.

When I come to off load a car I grnerally trade as Im over dealing with Gumbook dreamballers and use the immaculate condition I present it to them in to get a better price by highlighting they'll save on having it prepared.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroudeyBrand View Post

Why?
Don't ever go looking to buy a boat then. Some of the "Marie Celeste" type yachts that I have viewed would make a man cry.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 12:08 PM   #4
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Usually if the inside looks like trash, you can safely say the car has not been looked after.

They will usually not come with books or service history, tyres will be on limit, and will have many problems that the seller will gladly let you find out yourself after you have purchased it, it will also be priced the same as a well looked after serviced vehicle with less k's and warranty from a dealership.

Saying this I know a car yard that loves buying them like this for next to nothing, then spending the time to make it look like a loved vehicle ( touch ups good detail and service), then asking top dollar for it.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 12:45 PM   #5
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Pretty easy really, you just keep scrolling past those ones and wait for a good one to come up. These kind of cars are really sought after in clean condition and when priced right and advertised properly they sell almost instantly.

I'd rather the owner leave them dirty as then I know that's the kind of owner they are, that's not the kind of car I want to buy unless it's dirt cheap.
Old 21-11-2022, 02:08 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Usually if the inside looks like trash, you can safely say the car has not been looked after.

They will usually not come with books or service history, tyres will be on limit, and will have many problems that the seller will gladly let you find out yourself after you have purchased it, it will also be priced the same as a well looked after serviced vehicle with less k's and warranty from a dealership.

Saying this I know a car yard that loves buying them like this for next to nothing, then spending the time to make it look like a loved vehicle ( touch ups good detail and service), then asking top dollar for it.
Spot on with your comment as soon as I see these vehicles I move on knowing some Grot has not looked after it and most likely driven it in the ground.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 02:59 PM   #7
Hulsty

Nothing unusual, we recently bought a caravan, **** photos and was filthy on the outside (red dusts etc), got it for ~4k less than what is worth. 2 Days of cleaning and its spic and span, bit of painting and minor repairs (fridge seals) and I'm done.

When I bought my Corolla it was absolute filth, I sold it a year latter spic and span, good photos, lots of photos and sold it easily for more than double I paid for it.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #8
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand the photos all foamed up in the carwash. Like you can't see the condition of the car because of all the foam, and the fact that they use one of those washes is not a selling point
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 03:32 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Spot on with your comment as soon as I see these vehicles I move on knowing some Grot has not looked after it and most likely driven it in the ground.
My Daughters car is feral inside and out, its also serviced regularly and only does highway k's.
Old 21-11-2022, 03:36 PM   #10
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
I don't understand the photos all foamed up in the carwash. Like you can't see the condition of the car because of all the foam, and the fact that they use one of those washes is not a selling point
Classic P plater move, check out my car covered in foam, then check out my wet car i just scratched with the washing broom
Old 21-11-2022, 05:34 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Classic P plater move, check out my car covered in foam, then check out my wet car i just scratched with the washing broom
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 05:53 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

This is a big pet hate of mine that stems from complete and pure laziness, nothing more, nothing less.

A few more that I just don't get -

-Using the prewritten Carsales description. For something like a Toyota Carolla, fine. Using it on something like say, an FPV GT, you are wasting my time. Here is a situation where you have a more specialized vehicle, with a build number and sometimes custom ordered options, and yet the seller thinks a prewritten blurb is more important that actually letting buyers know about the special parts.

-On the same topic, using a prewritten blurb to tell the viewer that a 500hp V8 sedan with words like the following is just stupid - "LOOKING FOR YOUR FIRST CAR? THEN THIS IS PERFECT FOR YOU!"

-Dealers who spend more time telling you about their business than the car is pointless. I don't care how long they have been ripping people off, the 500,000 cars they have in stock or their friendly staff.............JUST TELL ME ABOUT THE CAR FOR GODS SAKE!

-Private sellers who think its sufficient to take one or two pics of the car, at dusk, out of focus and one of those pics being of something completely useless like the rear vison mirror or blinker stalk. Clearly, the person put no effort into the listing, then that reflects on the lack of effort they put into maintain the car during their ownership.

-And as mentioned, not at least cleaning the car or removing their crap from the car is a reflection on the persons care of the car, and yet they expect someone to pay them money for their neglect.

-Don't lie! Sounds like a really simple and obvious thing doesn't it. If you have fitted an exhaust, changed the wheels, installed a tune or put stipes on the car, then the thing is NOT "stock and original". Also, stating the car is in excellent condition when the car has clear coat failure or obvious worn interior parts is NOT really true is it.

Mustang GT

Old 21-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #13
dollars

I have Contrarian view. I believe the dirty, badly presented cars with poor pictures or minor faults or lack a proper description of the options offer the best opportunity to pick up a bargain from a private sale.

Dealerships are different and most of the floor stock are professionally detailed and well presented. On the odd occasion I have purchased from out the back of the lot from a selection of vehicles that were headed to the wholesalers or auctions.

The buyer formulates the offer! Everyone should be aware “ caveat emptor” let the buyer beware. The seller is engaged in an “ invitation to treat” not withstanding the statutory warranty that may apply when buying from a dealer.

I believe the buyer is responsible and must do their own due diligence by conducting a thorough pre purchase inspection themselves if they have the ability, or engage a independent expert to conduct one on their behalf if they don’t. Inspection of the service and maintenance history records, log books, operating and or maintenance manuals,original keys and immobilisers, codes for radio or stereo systems, any encumbrances via the personal property security registrar, registration documents ( I know of buyers in Western Australia purchasing a car that they didn’t know were unregistered) a thorough test drive including operation of any cruise control, radio or other options and finally the negotiations to agree on the price
dollars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #14
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
My Daughters car is feral inside and out, its also serviced regularly and only does highway k's.
My daughter is the same with her car being a pigsty but maintained regularly, on the other end of the stick I do know of other owners who run them in the ground, so I now take the precautionary approach by giving them a miss if I was to look for another car.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2022, 08:20 PM   #15
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Which is fine for when she owns it/uses it, that's not the point though, the point is that when you are actively trying to sell the car, getting it fully detailed and ready for sale/to show to potential buyers on Carsales/facebook/gumtree/etc should be the first step before you put photo's or an ad anywhere. Unless the car is so insanely cheap, having an ad with photo's of a "feral" car will turn 99% of people away.

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 09:21 PM   #16
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the useless photos, exterior from a distance with all the doors open. Erm, I can’t see the interior, I can’t see the exterior, it’s pointless.
Or the crackheads who decide at 11pm to list their car, walks out to the front porch, takes pic under porch light, lists with this pic. You need to put some effort in.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 21-11-2022, 09:54 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Which is fine for when she owns it/uses it, that's not the point though, the point is that when you are actively trying to sell the car, getting it fully detailed and ready for sale/to show to potential buyers on Carsales/facebook/gumtree/etc should be the first step before you put photo's or an ad anywhere. Unless the car is so insanely cheap, having an ad with photo's of a "feral" car will turn 99% of people away.
Totally agreed, I was just pointing out that having a grubby car doesn't necessarily equate to being mechanically neglected or run into the ground.
As I said in my first post on the subject, people just dont care about their cars appearance these days which is crazy when you think its one of their biggest purchases after housing and often the fastest depreciating asset.

My Daughter is currently looking for a newer car and I can assure you, unless I detail the old one, it will go as is.
Muggins here will do it though and she knows it, bloody kids.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 10:02 PM   #18
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Dont forget the "crackhead" buyers...

First "Is this avaialble?"...there must be a lot of idiots who sell things and leave ads up...why they dont auto delete weekly is beyond me...
Message you at 1am and wonder why you dont respond ASAP
Will you swap for "insert useless item"?
Lowball you by half.
Arrange a time to inspect and then dont show up.
Agree to take it and you never see them again.

And thats leaving out the obvious "Im in Afghanistan, my representative will pick it up", I will pay by Apple AutoBit Crypto pay that no body has ever heard of, or I will take it just email me at.. obvious scam timewasters.

It's a battle on both sides.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 10:17 PM   #19
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I had a good one while selling my Ranger...

Facebook loser: (no questions) I'll give you $30k.
Me: Pass (it was advertised for $40k)

FL: 32k
Me: Look mate, I've had an offer of $38k so it needs to be more than that to get me interested.

FL: $35k
Me: WTF
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2022, 01:12 AM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
I had a good one while selling my Ranger...

Facebook loser: (no questions) I'll give you $30k.
Me: Pass (it was advertised for $40k)

FL: 32k
Me: Look mate, I've had an offer of $38k so it needs to be more than that to get me interested.

FL: $35k
Me: WTF
Set of jousting sticks?
Old 22-11-2022, 11:36 AM   #21
hayseed

I've sold lots of Stuff over the Years.. & I put My Phone number in the Advert & simply Delete EVERY ebay/facebook/gumtree message without even reading any of them...

If They're serious they'll ring you...!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2022, 11:44 AM   #22
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

"Is this still for sale?"

"What's the lowest figure you will take?"
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2022, 11:53 AM   #23
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I've sold lots of Stuff over the Years.. & I put My Phone number in the Advert & simply Delete EVERY ebay/facebook/gumtree message without even reading any of them...

I sold my Ranger a couple of months ago. Not one phone call was made.

The car was shipped interstate as well

Last edited by naddis01; 22-11-2022 at 12:10 PM.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #24
.:4:.
Kicking back

When i bought my brother his car, it was advertised for 4k. My brother called the guy at 7pm on a sunday night. The bloke wasnt rude but said he was sick of tyre kickers so come check it out at 6am next morning before he goes to work if we are serious. So yay, a 3 hour drive early morning. But did that. So the bloke was geniune, he bought the ute to do home renos, renos were done so no longer needed it. Both he and his wife drove new porsches so offloading an au ute makes sense.
Being a manual au3 ute, so far he had been stuffed about by a brigade of 17 year olds who couldnt rangle up the money. Clearly a manual au is a drift car...
So looked over the car, paint was shot, no rust, mint interior, heaps of receipts, drove really nice, no rattles or squeaks. So team meeting with my brother, he said he'd lowball 3500. Did that, the bloke asks how will we pay? I said do you take cash? So deal done on the spot. Before we left my brother asks if he said 3 cash would that have been a deal? The bloke goes yeah, cash is king. But the deal was done. Still not a bad car for 3500. This was just before the floods that totalled many tradies utes so crap ute prices went up when that happened.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

Yep, have it on my ads, all messaging will be ignored !

Old 22-11-2022, 12:34 PM   #26
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Imagine how much it would have fetched if not left to look like junk… ;-)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-...-vic/101681456

Never been too fussed about “rules” for advertising stuff, other than never giving out my phone number or email address in an advert. If both parties want to deal, a way forward will be found.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2022, 12:37 PM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Imagine how much it would have fetched if not left to look like junk… ;-)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-...-vic/101681456
Funny was looking through KH auctions this morn and saw that. Big bucks those Furphy's around here.

Old 22-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #28
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
, other than never giving out my phone number or email address in an advert.
Would take a long while wouldn't it.

Old 22-11-2022, 10:06 PM   #29
FPV0002
FPV0002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

This is a big pet hate of mine that stems from complete and pure laziness, nothing more, nothing less.

A few more that I just don't get -

-Using the prewritten Carsales description. For something like a Toyota Carolla, fine. Using it on something like say, an FPV GT, you are wasting my time. Here is a situation where you have a more specialized vehicle, with a build number and sometimes custom ordered options, and yet the seller thinks a prewritten blurb is more important that actually letting buyers know about the special parts.

-On the same topic, using a prewritten blurb to tell the viewer that a 500hp V8 sedan with words like the following is just stupid - "LOOKING FOR YOUR FIRST CAR? THEN THIS IS PERFECT FOR YOU!"

-Dealers who spend more time telling you about their business than the car is pointless. I don't care how long they have been ripping people off, the 500,000 cars they have in stock or their friendly staff.............JUST TELL ME ABOUT THE CAR FOR GODS SAKE!

-Private sellers who think its sufficient to take one or two pics of the car, at dusk, out of focus and one of those pics being of something completely useless like the rear vison mirror or blinker stalk. Clearly, the person put no effort into the listing, then that reflects on the lack of effort they put into maintain the car during their ownership.

-And as mentioned, not at least cleaning the car or removing their crap from the car is a reflection on the persons care of the car, and yet they expect someone to pay them money for their neglect.

-Don't lie! Sounds like a really simple and obvious thing doesn't it. If you have fitted an exhaust, changed the wheels, installed a tune or put stipes on the car, then the thing is NOT "stock and original". Also, stating the car is in excellent condition when the car has clear coat failure or obvious worn interior parts is NOT really true is it.

This times 1000x for me! Especially the first point! If you are selling an enthusiast vehicle worth a lot of money and use the pre written blurb is just incredibly lazy IMO. We are enthusiasts, we do our research on our cars so we know all the basic features already. If I’m looking at say a FPV worth 100k I don’t need to be told it has ‘power windows, alloy wheels and a rear spoiler’ Or will ‘makes a great first car’ seriously! Cmon, tell me about the individual car, what sort of life it’s had, mods if any, condition, some selling points that may not be obvious in the photos. And if you are selling something for a large chunk of money spend the time giving it a thorough clean and take some photos that show it at its absolute best! Be honest and even get creative.
FPV0002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2022, 10:12 PM   #30
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV0002 View Post
This times 1000x for me! Especially the first point! If you are selling an enthusiast vehicle worth a lot of money and use the pre written blurb is just incredibly lazy IMO. We are enthusiasts, we do our research on our cars so we know all the basic features already. If I’m looking at say a FPV worth 100k I don’t need to be told it has ‘power windows, alloy wheels and a rear spoiler’ Or will ‘makes a great first car’ seriously! Cmon, tell me about the individual car, what sort of life it’s had, mods if any, condition, some selling points that may not be obvious in the photos. And if you are selling something for a large chunk of money spend the time giving it a thorough clean and take some photos that show it at its absolute best! Be honest and even get creative.
It's a very strange situation. If a person has an FPV, then clearly, they are an enthusiast too. But then when they go to sell, they turn into a noob and don't know how to present the car so that it actually sells.
Mustang GT