Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2022, 07:35 PM   #121
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: 7.3 V8 crate motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Yep something must be off , from what I can find out it's 107.2 bore and 101mm stroke ,deck heights supposed to be 9.65 compared to the 9.48 to 9.5 of the 351 so being longer bore you would think ite block would be taller? .....the 3cm longer you would think would be the extra bore size ? .....spose if the 351 is supposed to be 1.28 inches taller than a 302 you would think this would have to be 1.5 inches taller?
There’s also no provision for distributor or drive off the camshaft, maybe that shortens the length of the block….
Look at picture below, notice timing cover and water pump length

Going by online sources, the Godzilla tapes up very close to a traditional small-block Ford at 730mm long (timing cover to rear of block), 585mm wide (across valve covers) and 635mm high.

It’s roughly an inch narrower than a 351W and close to four inches narrower than a Coyote….

https://fordauthority.com/wp-content...nifold-001.png

Last edited by jpd80; 13-12-2022 at 07:48 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2022, 08:09 PM   #122
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
There’s also no provision for distributor or drive off the camshaft, maybe that shortens the length of the block….

Going by online sources, the Godzilla tapes up very close to a traditional small-block Ford at 730mm long (timing cover to rear of block), 585mm wide (across valve covers) and 635mm high.

It’s roughly an inch narrower than a 351W and close to four inches narrower than a Coyote….

Yeah it looks pretty close length and width I think it's the height Boss wasn't sure about and going off the deck height it looks like it might be a smidgen taller than a 351 I'm not sure if that would fit in many Falcons without a bit of bonnet surgery?

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2022, 08:23 PM   #123
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I can't see how it could be an inch narrower than a 351 windsor if the Godzilla has a longer deck height? Are you comparing the width of the Cleveland with its 9.2 inch deck height?

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 14-12-2022, 02:00 AM   #124
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah it looks pretty close length and width I think it's the height Boss wasn't sure about and going off the deck height it looks like it might be a smidgen taller than a 351 I'm not sure if that would fit in many Falcons without a bit of bonnet surgery?
But then the Godzilla is a full skirted block so that would move the crank centre line up in the block (compared to the 351) so that would make it sit lower in the chassis........interesting

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 14-12-2022, 08:28 AM   #125
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I can't see how it could be an inch narrower than a 351 windsor if the Godzilla has a longer deck height? Are you comparing the width of the Cleveland with its 9.2 inch deck height?
That’s straight from the former Ford Program Director for the 7.3, Brian Wolfe who also has raced Windsors for years.
The engine was designed to be compact so it could fit in all perceived applications, it and the LS are reasonably close.
Old 14-12-2022, 09:05 AM   #126
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That’s straight from the former Ford Program Director for the 7.3, Brian Wolfe who also has raced Windsors for years.
The engine was designed to be compact so it could fit in all perceived applications, it and the LS are reasonably close.
Oh well he would know.......I was just going off the measurements?

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 14-12-2022, 11:44 AM   #127
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
The official measurements I looked at indicated it was 5cm wider than a small block from rocker cover to rocker cover.

Hardly worth worrying about, but the dimensions are hard to nail down when you don't know if the 2 measurements you are comparing use the same points of reference. Any they rarely tell you what points they measured from either.

Fact is it fits very easily in a Foxbody, with dimensions close to a SBF, which means fitting in a Falcon won't be hard. That XA that was running one with the harrop blower that ran 8's fitted it all under the hood very easily.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2022, 07:21 PM   #128
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The official measurements I looked at indicated it was 5cm wider than a small block from rocker cover to rocker cover.

Hardly worth worrying about, but the dimensions are hard to nail down when you don't know if the 2 measurements you are comparing use the same points of reference. Any they rarely tell you what points they measured from either.

Fact is it fits very easily in a Foxbody, with dimensions close to a SBF, which means fitting in a Falcon won't be hard. That XA that was running one with the harrop blower that ran 8's fitted it all under the hood very easily.
Apologies, I was mistaken about width and length, here is the actual size from horses mouth

Quote:

https://fordauthority.com/2020/02/fo...windsor-video/

Size data such as this is important data to be able to shoehorn a Godzilla under the hood of a project car or truck in the future. What they found was that the Godzilla engine is about 2.5 inches wider than the 351 Windsor. On the engine length measurement, the 7.3-liter V8 was about 1.25-inches longer. Those figures aren’t vastly different between the two.
So compared to a 429/460, that is a good reduction
Old 15-12-2022, 12:11 PM   #129
Swordie

I'd like to see a project putting Godzilla into a BA. I wonder how the would handle the transmission. I like the idea of a stock one for low down torque. I'm guessing if BA can fit a 3v then Goszilla would fit. The 3v is a wide motor.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2022, 12:26 PM   #130
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
I'd like to see a project putting Godzilla into a BA. I wonder how the would handle the transmission. I like the idea of a stock one for low down torque. I'm guessing if BA can fit a 3v then Goszilla would fit. The 3v is a wide motor.
Transmission is easy, as it uses the same bellhousing pattern as Modular and Coyote. So any 6R80 or 10R80 bolts up. And there are adaptors for TH400's and the like.

The blown XA uses a TH400.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2022, 06:26 PM   #131
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Transmission is easy, as it uses the same bellhousing pattern as Modular and Coyote. So any 6R80 or 10R80 bolts up. And there are adaptors for TH400's and the like.

The blown XA uses a TH400.
That much power, you could use 2-speed powerglide.
30 years ago now but HG Monaro 383 ‘glide vs SLR Torana off the lights,
70 mph in 1st, Torana tried his best but fell back every gear change….
Old 15-12-2022, 07:08 PM   #132
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Basically if it could fit the 302, 4.6, 5.4, Coyote… it can fit the Godzilla.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2022, 10:05 AM   #133
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQmdJWzIcA8

Revan evan - Megazilla
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: