Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2022, 11:01 PM   #31
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car sellers, why you do this?

Ok, so lets look at a case study........

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...7116026/?Cr=50

This is a last of the line 2016 FGX XR6 Turbo Ute, low kms and a high asking price of $58,000.

Pictures - Not formatted properly and taken in portrait mode on a phone. As such, you can't actually see the car properly.

Description - Completely the automated blurb and not a single word written about the car from the seller.

In this case, the owner knows what he has, its a low milage and desirable model from the last year of manufacture. To me, this car is highly enticing. Yet, the description tells me nothing about the car, nothing about what makes it worth the near $60,000 price tag. Likewise, the images do not do the car justice, again, the person is expecting big money without actually have something to justify that asking price.

In other words, "I have something to sell and want top dollar, but I can't be bothered putting in any effort to earn that high asking price". Typical Australian laziness on show here.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2022, 07:52 AM   #32
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a different brand.Wife has one of the new Honda HRV Hybrids( great car btw),anyhow one pops up for sale on Car Sales ( mind you they were only released on April 12th.).Price when released $45,000, August the 1st increase to $47,000.This guy it seems wants to make a profit on a HRV! Mind you they are not as desirable as a RAV Hybrid,still a healthy waiting list of around 10 months or so.Wants nearly 56k originally, then ‘drops’ to $54,900.I message the guy saying will you take 48K, he says no they are very desirable as the waiting list is long.Drops again to $53,900 still no takers! Eventually the add gets pulled only to appear with new photos & priced @ $51,900.Clearly this vehicle is not resonating with the Aus buying public.Clearly thinks he is going to make a ‘killing’ on the price.If it was a RAV he would have had a chance.
Old 23-11-2022, 08:03 AM   #33
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

This is a last of the line 2016 FGX XR6 Turbo Ute, low kms and a high asking price of $58,000.

Pictures - Not formatted properly and taken in portrait mode on a phone. As such, you can't actually see the car properly.

Description - Completely the automated blurb and not a single word written about the car from the seller.

In this case, the owner knows what he has, its a low milage and desirable model from the last year of manufacture. To me, this car is highly enticing. Yet, the description tells me nothing about the car, nothing about what makes it worth the near $60,000 price tag. Likewise, the images do not do the car justice, again, the person is expecting big money without actually have something to justify that asking price.

In other words, "I have something to sell and want top dollar, but I can't be bothered putting in any effort to earn that high asking price". Typical Australian laziness on show here.
Another look at it.
Wife 'Honey the ute has to go'

Husband ' Ok ill 'advertise' it on carsales'
Husband - Puts up half assed advert so it doesnt sell.

But i totally agree with what you are saying, if actually wanting to sell it. Its a rubbish advert.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2022, 05:32 PM   #35
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

I think you're possibly being a bit too hard on this one in particular.

As you mentioned, he knows he has something desirable so its likely that if the buyer hanging out for this particular age/kms/car is going to enquire regardless to the quality of the ad.

If I set out to buy a particular car, let's say a Falcon ute, I'm probably going to be looking at a few things first:
> Age (answered)
> Kms (answered)
> Service history (unanswered)
> Photos showing general condition (provided)

Moving on from there, I might want to know more - so I would contact the seller to do so - ie; give me the service history, could I get some extra photos.

There's work to do as a buyer and if you're a very particular buyer, you're going to know exactly what you're looking for and if it ticks those first few prerequisites it is likely it is prompting me to contact the seller to continue my enquiry further.

If the car itself ticked off those above boxes but I was unhappy with the photos, I'd ask for more. If you would discredit the car on this basis, that seems a bit silly.

Its worth noting that carsales have always said that the majority of searchers are not searching for a make or model. I believe there is statistics that show that a large amount of people using keywords which explains the blurb available on the listing you provided. Things like 'dual cab' or 'ute', 'sunroof' is a big one.
This user likes this post:
Old 05-12-2022, 07:51 PM   #36
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
I think you're possibly being a bit too hard on this one in particular.

As you mentioned, he knows he has something desirable so its likely that if the buyer hanging out for this particular age/kms/car is going to enquire regardless to the quality of the ad.

If I set out to buy a particular car, let's say a Falcon ute, I'm probably going to be looking at a few things first:
> Age (answered)
> Kms (answered)
> Service history (unanswered)
> Photos showing general condition (provided)

Moving on from there, I might want to know more - so I would contact the seller to do so - ie; give me the service history, could I get some extra photos.

There's work to do as a buyer and if you're a very particular buyer, you're going to know exactly what you're looking for and if it ticks those first few prerequisites it is likely it is prompting me to contact the seller to continue my enquiry further.

If the car itself ticked off those above boxes but I was unhappy with the photos, I'd ask for more. If you would discredit the car on this basis, that seems a bit silly.

Its worth noting that carsales have always said that the majority of searchers are not searching for a make or model. I believe there is statistics that show that a large amount of people using keywords which explains the blurb available on the listing you provided. Things like 'dual cab' or 'ute', 'sunroof' is a big one.
Yes, I did go hard on that one, but mostly to make a point in regard to lazy sellers.

It's not hard to take decent, relevant photos, write something personalized as to connect with viewers. Put the effort in, get the result you want. I note that two weeks later, the car is still for sale.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post