Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2022, 10:19 PM   #1
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Toyota Dieselgate (Not DPF)

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota...sel-emissions/
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota Dieselgate (Not DPF)

Certainly will be interesting to see what comes of this!
Old 19-10-2022, 08:46 AM   #3
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Mmmm interesting for sure.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Their diesel engines are junk and they still had to cheat emissions to make their limp wristed figures
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2022, 11:43 AM   #5
Hulsty

New ones arent that great, pre 2007 they were much more on point for the vehicle class.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2022, 11:52 AM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The bit about having got hold of confidential info from Toyota is the juicy part. If true, that info could be very damaging if it does actually show what they have actually done. Possible smoking gun.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-10-2022, 12:14 PM   #7
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

The irony in all this is that those participating in the class action (noting there's only one atm according to the article) wouldn't give two hoots about what the actual level of emissions from their vehicles are. It's not like the vast majority of Toyota owners would have purchased something else if the alleged misleading hadn't occurred.

This is nothing but a money making scheme for the law firm and those who see an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon.

The organisation that should be leading the action should be the Government who specified the emissions limits.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nephew's got the 2018 Cruiser, 60K kms, DPFs + injectors gone = $16K bill. Yowza. That used to be an entry level car price! Anecdata I know, but the in laws were glad theirs didn't have the DPF being an earlier model... Worked around Australia with a trusty slow 2H that never let me down, didn't cost much to run/maintain, though it was a bit higher than the petrol motors.
Old 19-10-2022, 05:04 PM   #9
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on topic: ouch. URJ202 ftw
Old 19-10-2022, 08:30 PM   #10
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
The irony in all this is that those participating in the class action (noting there's only one atm according to the article) wouldn't give two hoots about what the actual level of emissions from their vehicles are. It's not like the vast majority of Toyota owners would have purchased something else if the alleged misleading hadn't occurred.

This is nothing but a money making scheme for the law firm and those who see an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon.

The organisation that should be leading the action should be the Government who specified the emissions limits.
So true FGX 5.0. As I read through this article I was sub-consciously preparing a response to include in a post. Then I read your post and it was as near to word-perfect as what was in my thoughts - uncanny!

You're exactly on the money mate. I'd bet there will be Toyota owners lining up at the lawyer's office and feigning environmental outrage, before signing up and walking back out to their chipped, DPF deleted, EGR deleted and straight through exhaust system Hi-lux utes and roaring off down the street in a cacophony of 'zorst noise, oversize turbo whistle and diesel fumes.

I personally dislike the idea of these increasingly prevalent consumer law driven class action cases. They're not about seeking any sort of justice, and all about grabbing as much money as can be bled out of the defendant company or organisation.

Lawyers love them because the more 'victims' they can rope in to the class action, the more money they get to pocket. Fair enough from where they stand I guess!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2022, 10:12 PM   #11
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the allegation is proven in Court, and Toyota cannot fix the engines to pass emissions tests legally all the vehicles are unroadworthy and cannot be registered.
A mate was working for a BMW Dealership when the VW Diesel gate broke and he told me the Dealership cancelled orders involving VW Vehicles being traded in with the affected engines as they were unsure if the vehicles could be resold.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2022, 10:21 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
So true FGX 5.0. As I read through this article I was sub-consciously preparing a response to include in a post. Then I read your post and it was as near to word-perfect as what was in my thoughts - uncanny!

You're exactly on the money mate. I'd bet there will be Toyota owners lining up at the lawyer's office and feigning environmental outrage, before signing up and walking back out to their chipped, DPF deleted, EGR deleted and straight through exhaust system Hi-lux utes and roaring off down the street in a cacophony of 'zorst noise, oversize turbo whistle and diesel fumes.

I personally dislike the idea of these increasingly prevalent consumer law driven class action cases. They're not about seeking any sort of justice, and all about grabbing as much money as can be bled out of the defendant company or organisation.

Lawyers love them because the more 'victims' they can rope in to the class action, the more money they get to pocket. Fair enough from where they stand I guess!
Agree, VW dieselgate in America was brought by the EPA against VW, it’s diesels emitting up,to 40 times the legal limit of NOX. VW had no fix, so the vehicles were deemed illegal and all deregistered, owners had to be compensated by VW.

Now if Toyota alleged cheats slowly move emissions to illegal, I think that’s something that could be fixed with software patch, so maybe not the same as VW.

In any case, the federal government not going after Toyota tells you all you need to know about this being another money making “scheme” for law firms to get well paid out of this and owners left with a pittance payout.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2022, 10:56 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Meh, they sold vehicles which don't meet standards they're supposed to - compensation time.

If you don't want money hungry lawyers at the door then you should hold up your end of the bargain.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2022, 02:42 PM   #14
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
If the allegation is proven in Court, and Toyota cannot fix the engines to pass emissions tests legally all the vehicles are unroadworthy and cannot be registered.
A mate was working for a BMW Dealership when the VW Diesel gate broke and he told me the Dealership cancelled orders involving VW Vehicles being traded in with the affected engines as they were unsure if the vehicles could be resold.
Laughs in petrol.
Old 20-10-2022, 04:04 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

This could be just the slip/stumble that Ford has been waiting for, especially if enough new buyers decide to switch.

It seems that Toyota finds new ways to hurt itself with technical things they didn’t have to do, there’ was no need to slowly switch off emission gear when vehicles were determined to be on the road and outside test parameters.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2022, 05:59 PM   #16
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
This could be just the slip/stumble that Ford has been waiting for, especially if enough new buyers decide to switch.

It seems that Toyota finds new ways to hurt itself with technical things they didn’t have to do, there’ was no need to slowly switch off emission gear when vehicles were determined to be on the road and outside test parameters.
I'm wondering if it was something to do with longevity. They may have been afraid of the unbreakable, going kaput due to the emission gear.
Old 21-10-2022, 06:10 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

I doubt it. It didn't really hurt VW.

Most consumers will only join in if there is the chance they'll make a buck. After that, they won't care.

New buyers won't care because Toyota.
Old 21-10-2022, 06:55 PM   #18
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
the Toyota software gradually changed the engine setting until the vehicle produced more harmful emissions than were allowed by law
I call BS on this.

what is much more likely is that the Toyota team didn't allow sufficiently for the aging of the engine and components so that the car still met emissions requirement when it was high mileage.

typically, when the car is calibrated, the brand new car is much, much better than the legal requirement, so that as injectors wear, seals start to leak, dpfs get partially blocked etc, the car still remains legal.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2022, 06:58 PM   #19
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

there is also a little thing called Conformity Factor. Previously, only a statistical percentage of new cars had to comply. When the government does a check, they take a random sample of the cars to test. Up until recently only 70% or so had to pass (don't quote me). Part of the fallout from Dieselgate is that the latest Eu6 regs have a CF of 1. This means every single car must pass
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2022, 09:34 PM   #20
Vekgib

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Most consumers will only join in if there is the chance they'll make a buck. After that, they won't care.

This. I can't see myself cancelling my order over this.

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2022, 10:54 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sub Toyota for VW. A scandal in the media but in reality a bit of a fine and they just keep doing business.

Most people really don't actually give a ****. The only thing that was spectacular was all the VW lined up in empty lots for some dumb reason
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Correct, buyer based law suits against Toyota is just lawyers generating business for themselves.

Mind you, Diesel gate ended up costing VW over US$30 billion in fines, litigation damages and vehicle buy back programs,
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2022, 06:48 PM   #23
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bump

The gift that keeps on giving: dusting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Dk3xPHvc4

(Interesting that he was traveling West to East about the same time we were, and mentions bad fuel and having to do a couple of filters.)