Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Fiesta Girl

Default What's with the WS Fiesta passenger mirror.....

OK...I give up. Can someone please explain what the line of curved dots is for on the passenger side exterior mirror. I know the drivers side is flat and the passengers has a slight convex curve so its probably got something to do with that...but what?

Fiesta Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Fi.ES.TA

Thats supposed to be your parking mirror and long range hahaha i looked at it when i first bought mine and just laughed not worth having in my opinion.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Both mirrors are slightly convex but the passenger side, where the dots are, curves even more.

It is generally required to be indicated by ADR I think.
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
curik

I think its called the blind spot mirror, so you can see a car at the blindspot area where normal mirror wouldn't.
curik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Curik hit the nail on the nead. I find it very useful to be honest? One thing I love is how much better the mirrors are in the WS than the WP/WQ.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Fiesta Girl

OK...so I gather the consensus is the curve increases at that point to show an area that would not normally be covered by a "normal" mirror. If so, why not do that on the drivers mirror? Has anyone else found the drivers mirror doesn't go "out" quite far enough? I have it on the limit of its travel but wish it would go another couple of degrees to cover that "blind spot" area.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta Girl
OK...so I gather the consensus is the curve increases at that point to show an area that would not normally be covered by a "normal" mirror. If so, why not do that on the drivers mirror?
As mentioned by others - for curb parking and bigger blind spot passenger side

Quote:
Has anyone else found the drivers mirror doesn't go "out" quite far enough? I have it on the limit of its travel but wish it would go another couple of degrees to cover that "blind spot" area.
Yes

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...40&postcount=7
Old 23-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Fiesta Girl

Just stumbled across the definitive answer to what the dots are and why the drivers mirror doesn't move "outward" enough.

The vehicle mirrors are still set up for LHD. The mirror with the dots is meant to be the drivers mirror...the dots showing the extended "blind spot" area. The drivers mirror doesn't move outward far enough because the driver is meant to be on the other side of the vehicle. If the driver was, the mirror travel would be more than adequate.

Just in case anyone wanted to know. It's the little things that bug me. ;>)
Old 23-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Fi.ES.TA

I find that hard to believe especially when the uk drive on the same side
and i would of thought the uk would of been the mass market for the new fiesta.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta Girl
Just stumbled across the definitive answer to what the dots are and why the drivers mirror doesn't move "outward" enough.

The vehicle mirrors are still set up for LHD. The mirror with the dots is meant to be the drivers mirror...the dots showing the extended "blind spot" area. The drivers mirror doesn't move outward far enough because the driver is meant to be on the other side of the vehicle. If the driver was, the mirror travel would be more than adequate.

Just in case anyone wanted to know. It's the little things that bug me. ;>)
You might want to tell the Brits .....
:

The mirrors are just mounted back too far, pure and simple.
Old 23-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It has mirrors? (I don't live in a populated area so it's not something I use/notice)
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #12
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

The question is, is the UK market bigger than the rest of Europe combined? It is from a German factory...

Just add it to the list of things like left hand wipers and the left hand mounted bonnet release.
Old 25-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #13
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think most of the German cars go to Germany and the UK, there's another factory in Spain for everyone else
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
BruceT

I found no mention of the dots in the owner's manual. In fact there are are a lot of things missing in the manual and cross references to other pages are often wrong. The owner's manual is a let down frankly.
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post