Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
rocketxr

Default Range/Distance to Empty???

Hi,
I have just purchased a LS Zetec 5 Speed and have a question about the Range/Distance to Empty readout on the trip computer.
I filled up this morning and went for a drive along the freeway, the consumption was reading 6.1L/100km (which is pretty good compared to our old Territory) and I did 110km and used about 1/8 of a tank.
Theoretically this should give a range (on the highway) of approx 850km, but the RANGE readout on the trip computer is showing 330km to empty.
Has anybody else noticed this or had a similar problem?
Cheers
Lee

rocketxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
RJO89
EuroFordClub

I'm not sure whether this is true or not, but I think the range is figured out using the average fuel consumption figure on the trip computer. So not really sure why it's coming up like that. I've learnt that my range figure isn't always overly accurate though. You'll probably find that after a few more tanks, depending on which fuel you use and how heavily you drive, the range figure will go up to between 500-600 (I use V-Power and do enjoy giving it a squirt every now and then, and my range is around 610kms to empty after every fill up).

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
BlackLS
yum

Slightly off topic, the Focus fuel guage is not a straight-line decrease.

THe first 100kms show you using more than a 1/4 of the tank, but half a tank is sort of between 1/4 and 1/2 on the guage.

When I fill I normally have 630kms showing on DTE, but only get 570 before the DTE shows 0kms left.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
rocketxr

Well, it seems to have sorted itself out today.
We have now done 480km and the DTE is show 200km!!??
Thanks for your input guys.
Old 24-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
profit_trd
Starter Motor

once you reset the ECU, the range to empty changed to the last consumption fuel. Also, in my Focus, if the range goes 0, it still have 6 or 7 lt left.
profit_trd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
BrisVegas
Noobie

yeah, mine has been to 0km DTE but still had 5 litres in the tank... After 700km mind you!
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
BrisVegas
Noobie

yeah, mine has been to 0km DTE but still had 5 litres in the tank... After 700km mind you!
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
opium
XR Experiment

I try not to look at my fuel guage or distance till empty..

Last time I did I had 13.2 L/100k and 440K in a full tank.

Wouldnt change it for the world either....Mmmmm Boooost
opium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I'm surprised nobody has even come close to the real reason!

Most cars use an average over the last 100km or even 500km to determine DTE. If the ECU used the trip computer's average since last reset, the DTE would be all over the place and almost toally useless. Using a fixed average means DTE isn't always accurate immediately but should give a fairly good idea once you've done about 100km of constant driving of any particular type.

Again, it's just a guide, but handy anyway!
Old 22-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
Rhubarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisVegas
I did 12km in mine this morning with the DTE reading 0km. When I filled up it only took 49 litres, so I assume that means it had 5-6 litres left. So at my long term average of 8.1l/100km, that means the remaining 6 litres, in theory would have given me another 74 kms, which is about 86kms after the DTE reads 0kms !!!

Now I was very nervous driving just 12kms with DTE reading 0. Whats the most anyone else has gone with DTE on 0 ?

Surely someone must have actually taken it to the limit and run out of fuel, so how many kms did you get with the DTE on 0 ?
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
rocketxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb
I did 12km in mine this morning with the DTE reading 0km. When I filled up it only took 49 litres, so I assume that means it had 5-6 litres left. So at my long term average of 8.1l/100km, that means the remaining 6 litres, in theory would have given me another 74 kms, which is about 86kms after the DTE reads 0kms !!!

Now I was very nervous driving just 12kms with DTE reading 0. Whats the most anyone else has gone with DTE on 0 ?

Surely someone must have actually taken it to the limit and run out of fuel, so how many kms did you get with the DTE on 0 ?
I have noticed the same thing - I have filled up a couple of times at 0 and it only took 47 Litres.
Might have to drive around with a Jerry Can and see just how far I can go....
Although I don't think it is too good for the fuel pump (as it relies on fuel to keep cool).