Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Crysti-Lei
Starter Motor

Default TDCi - if/when it comes in a Sedan

i know they don't do them now, but i was wondering is anyone knows if there will ever be a sedan version and just when that might be.

i like the Focus and love the fuel efficiancy of the TDCi, but i don't like my chances of fitting a baby seat and all the other junk associated with a baby in a hatch.

we aren't in any rush as the hubby works away and we really only *need* one car most of the time, but paying $80 to get 350km is getting pretty annoying, as much as i love my Turtle Van (Mitsubishi Delica). One of the salesmen we spoke to today said they were bringing out some new stuff for the focus in May, but wasn't sure it a TDCi sedan was part of it.

Also, while i am here, i might as well ask a bias crowd, what does the Focus have over a Corolla, Lancer and Tida?

Thanks so much in advance

Crysti

Crysti-Lei is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
RJO89
EuroFordClub

You're just as likely to fit anything to do with a baby in a hatch as you are in a sedan. In fact, I reckon you'd be able to get more stuff in.
As to the sedan TDCi, I doubt they will bring one out. The hatch is by far the most popular focus model, and I don't think ford will see any benefit in making a sedan, especially considering they have brought out a Mondeo TDCi Sedan. Which, by the way, hasn't really sold all that well.

The focus and the corolla IMO are very close. I prefer the Focus because it is by an Australian brand (never mind not being made here), and the fact that it has a great support background (from not only dealers, but from these forums. Everything that could go wrong with your car would have happened before and the solution will more than likely be on here). From what I've seen, other types of cars don't have the sort of support that fords and holdens do. The tiida is, well, the Tiida. Don't really need to say much else . the only thing going for it is it's 6-speed manual (clunky as it is). Honestly, it's one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. The new Lancer is a beautiful car, no denying it. But for size, doesn't really fit in with the 'small-medium' size. I personally think that the Lancer would be more likely to run up against the mondeo. But all of that is just personal opinion.

Summing up, I doubt that Ford will make a Focus TDCi Sedan because they have released it in the Mondeo, but for what you need it for, the hatch will fill it perfectly, if not better than the sedan would.
In terms of which car, most of them are level pegging, it's just a matter of standard features, build quality and cost.

Oh, and the new focus coming out in mid-year is only the Focus XR5 Turbo. The entire range won't be seen here until late this year/early next year

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :

Last edited by edgecrusher89; 14-04-2008 at 06:51 PM.
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysti-Lei
i know they don't do them now, but i was wondering is anyone knows if there will ever be a sedan version and just when that might be.

i like the Focus and love the fuel efficiancy of the TDCi, but i don't like my chances of fitting a baby seat and all the other junk associated with a baby in a hatch.
Have you considered a Mondeo?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Turbodiesel
Torquer

If they were going to bring it out in a sedan they would have already, I really can't see any benefits over hatch besides personal taste.

What are you worried about?

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with edge, a hatch will be no different to a sedan, if not better. You should test one out and try and fit all your gear in one on a yard. The dealer will be more then happy for you to test it out.
Old 16-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
BrisVegas
Noobie

my dealer let me take one for the afternoon so i could load my two carseats in it and the pram etc in the boot. the focus hatch is plenty big enough for our family. We even manage camping trips in it with portacot, tent, bags, esky etc... although we're thinking about putting on a roof pod for the big camping expeditions... If I upgrade from the Focus, it won't be to anything bigger, maybe just to something like the Kuga with a bit more height.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
Crysti-Lei
Starter Motor

hi guys,

thanks heaps for your imput.

my consern over the hatch is the floor space in the boot, sure it so the bigger opening, and its higher, but i can see me fitting in a pram and shopping and anything like that.

i am leaning towards the Corolla at this stage, but who know, we may not actually be able to afford an brand spanking new car anyway LOL

Thanks again.
Crysti-Lei is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysti-Lei
hi guys,

thanks heaps for your imput.

my consern over the hatch is the floor space in the boot, sure it so the bigger opening, and its higher, but i can see me fitting in a pram and shopping and anything like that.

i am leaning towards the Corolla at this stage, but who know, we may not actually be able to afford an brand spanking new car anyway LOL

Thanks again.
I Have a 2002 Focus Hatch, and were in a similar state you are in now. We had bought a 3wheeler pram, so it was quite big, and yes took up a fair portion of the boot space. Over time, we've been able to more efficiently use our space when boot filled with baby bags, pram, and shopping bags.
Before we bought the Focus, we'd looked at Astra's, corolla's,(all hatches) just about everything, but there was just something about the Focus, it seemed bigger than the others.
I can say this, it's been the best car i've owned and if i could, i'd upgrade to the new TDi in a heartbeat.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post