Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-10-2022, 08:52 PM   #1
TristanAvery
Starter Motor

Default Ford Focus Zetec 06 Brake Lights No Work When Headlights On

So issue is that the all brake lights work when the headlights are off.
When the headlights are on, only the middle one (on the read window) works.

Had a look at the wires on the sockets of the builds, of both the front and rears. Couldn't see any corrosion.

Fuses are all fine. Bulbs aren't blown

Would check ground points, if I knew where abouts they were. If anyone can point me to diagrams/videos (hell even hand drawn would work)

Saw on a whirlpool forum someone had a similar issue and that their issue was the socket that holds the bulb. How would one check that?
TristanAvery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2022, 09:17 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ford Focus Zetec 06 Brake Lights No Work When Headlights On

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanAvery View Post
Would check ground points, if I knew where abouts they were. If anyone can point me to diagrams/videos (hell even hand drawn would work)
Have you tried the Tech Resources?
Old 26-10-2022, 12:38 PM   #3
TristanAvery
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Have you tried the Tech Resources?
Have had a look at the wiring diagrams. Can sorta read them and find grounds, just doesnt help with finding where I should look for said ground on the car.

Did check continuity with a multi-meter. Rear Tail light Sockets have continuity when head lights are off. As soon as the lights dial is turned to "park", the sockets lose continuity.

So that leads me to believe that the sockets have gone bad.
TristanAvery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2022, 01:06 PM   #4
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would still be inclined to a bad earth which fails when asked to provide a higher current draw if possible undo the earthing mounts clean and retighten them. There is a major earth mount on the strut tower on LHS of engine bay in the early series focus.
Easiest check is to supply independent earth wire to the tail lights and see if your problem still occurs
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2022, 09:49 AM   #5
Smiddler
Starter Motor

Hi I know you say the bulbs are okay but it might be a good idea to replace them in case they are internally shorted I had a cruise control issue that turned out to b a faulty globe although they all worked
Smiddler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post