Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2021, 10:53 PM   #271
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

I tried to watch the reveal trailer on my phone but I stopped about 5 seconds in when I realised it was some ridiculous VR thing, it was like looking through a window, at a TV that's showing a window, with a TV inside it and thats what the video is on.

Hybrid?
Unleaded engines?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 12:27 AM   #272
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Im just glad we've moved away from the 2.0l less is more market spin that saw what were once real men reduced to opting for milk and juice carton engine capacities coz thats what they got told is all they should need.
'We listened to our customers'..obviously not a few 'round here

Thank God for 3.0l+ goodness and more than 4 rods
Yeap agreed.. although i wont be in the market for one for another year or 2.. the fact that a raptor wont be carrying a little 2 litre has put it back into my possibles list.. ma mate with a current raptor just found out re the 2 litre and is spitting chips he brought his
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #273
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Im just glad we've moved away from the 2.0l less is more market spin that saw what were once real men reduced to opting for milk and juice carton engine capacities coz thats what they got told is all they should need.
'We listened to our customers'..obviously not a few 'round here

Thank God for 3.0l+ goodness and more than 4 rods
Quote:
Mr Wolff returned to Australia on New Year’s Day in January 2016 to help lead the Ford Ranger design team.
Now that we know the historical time lines of new Ranger's development we can see the spin on a 2.0L Raptor was put out after more than a few years of 2022 Ranger development work had already taken place.

I'd say the spin was more about keeping things hidden from the opposition for as long as possible than trying to force buyers into a 2.0L I4. The 3.0L V6 diesel can't fit in the current Thai-built Ranger or be cooled properly as explained by some of the engineers in the press interviews. Plus imagine being the product planner trying to convince the accountants to approve a V6 for the PXIII knowing that you were approved for 2022 Ranger...."Please Sir, can I have some more?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2021, 01:30 PM   #274
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I don't like the idea, or look of portrait screens. I think I'd prefer landscape. My Jeep has square screen and that seems ok too.

I love the screens in the new Sportage.

https://images.carexpert.com.au/resi...GT-Line_13.jpg

The photo was too big so I'll just link it.
So do I. But I wanted a wagon that does a bit of off roading and Kia/Hyundai dont have anything on offer. I do own a 2018 Santa Fe and while the setup is older, I do like the landscape aspect of the screen and how everything is accessible quickly and without fuss.

Not to hijack the thread or send it off topic too much but I have to get the latest software update for the infotainment screen on the Outback as it isnt stable to handle Apple Carplay and tends to disconnect the phone and reconnect after 15mins of use.

I really hope new Ranger owners will not have to live with this level of annoyance.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2021, 01:38 PM   #275
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
So do I. But I wanted a wagon that does a bit of off roading and Kia/Hyundai dont have anything on offer. I do own a 2018 Santa Fe and while the setup is older, I do like the landscape aspect of the screen and how everything is accessible quickly and without fuss.
We used to call that FETH Shav.

Falls Easily To Hand
Old 29-11-2021, 02:42 PM   #276
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
We used to call that FETH Shav.

Falls Easily To Hand
I can see myself going to something a little older next time because I'm not that happy with the Subaru interface to be honest. I'll learn to live with it in the mean time.

Maybe it's my age

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #277
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Ford are/were a bit different to Holden, Ranger was already their most popular vehicle here while they were still manufacturing Falcon.

They have a much bigger range of imported vehicles all made by ford, not rebadged daewoos or Isuzus. Ford are only missing a decent Family SUV

they wont be going out the door anytime soon.
so...ummm.. In october Ford sold 5462 vehicles in total... 4135 were Rangers.....

The means Ford sold 1,327 vehicles other than Ranger. Subtract future Mustang sales due to lack of availability. Is around 1,000 cars per month viable to keep the brand alive?

Don't get me wrong - i LOVE ford and have owned over 15 of them in the past 20 years...... But if the Ranger were to flop - i can't see how the brand would survive in Australia.

Looking at the new Ranger - its fantastic and i love it.... But all it takes is someone else to come up with something slightly better or slightly cheaper and customers will flock to it....

Look at the chinese brands - nothing spectacular about the vehicles other than the price point. Yet every month sales on those brands go up and up....
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #278
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
so...ummm.. In october Ford sold 5462 vehicles in total... 4135 were Rangers.....

The means Ford sold 1,327 vehicles other than Ranger. Subtract future Mustang sales due to lack of availability. Is around 1,000 cars per month viable to keep the brand alive?

Don't get me wrong - i LOVE ford and have owned over 15 of them in the past 20 years...... But if the Ranger were to flop - i can't see how the brand would survive in Australia.

Looking at the new Ranger - its fantastic and i love it.... But all it takes is someone else to come up with something slightly better or slightly cheaper and customers will flock to it....

Look at the chinese brands - nothing spectacular about the vehicles other than the price point. Yet every month sales on those brands go up and up....
Why do you assume availability is only affecting mustang? There's still very little stock of pretty much everything. Slowly starting to trickle through now but will take time to fill all the waiting list orders.
Old 29-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #279
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Why do you assume availability is only affecting mustang? There's still very little stock of pretty much everything. Slowly starting to trickle through now but will take time to fill all the waiting list orders.
Ok, so looking at December 2019 Pre Covid annual sales for Ford.

63,303 vehicles sold in 2019

40,960 of those were Ranger...

Is 1,800 cars per month other than Ranger enough?

65% of sales relying on the success of 1 car...
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #280
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I stopped reading after the eggs in one basket crap, it’s becoming the whiners refrain
almost wishing disaster on it just to be right, Like reserving a future told ya so……..

Good grief, Ford has a “ten year old Ute” that shames most, if not all the competition,
when people start taking the new Ranger for a drive, there’s no way most could go back
to a noisy clattering of a competitor’s POS. It’s that good, anyone who’s owned a V6 Terry will agree…
The refinement of the TD V6 is next level. Can barely tell it's diesel. The 3.2 is a tractor in comparison. You can hear one pull up from a distance, and not the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
So what’s the deal with the Vw tie up.

It it really a VW ranger or is the amarok really a ford?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all Fords work, bar some of the design changes. But VW sent some designers to Broadmeadows design studio to do the work, after being given the Ford styling base to work from. It will even be built in the South African Ranger plant by Ford workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Now that we know the historical time lines of new Ranger's development we can see the spin on a 2.0L Raptor was put out after more than a few years of 2022 Ranger development work had already taken place.

I'd say the spin was more about keeping things hidden from the opposition for as long as possible than trying to force buyers into a 2.0L I4. The 3.0L V6 diesel can't fit in the current Thai-built Ranger or be cooled properly as explained by some of the engineers in the press interviews. Plus imagine being the product planner trying to convince the accountants to approve a V6 for the PXIII knowing that you were approved for 2022 Ranger...."Please Sir, can I have some more?
This whole story was garbage in the first place. The 2 litre was the better, more powerful, more torquier engine than the 3.2, and it was the best diesel engine they could give it at the time, as the P375 was never designed to fit a Vee engine. If the V6 TD fit at the time, they would probably have used it.

It's telling that the P703 was extended 50 mm forward of the dash to fit the V6.

Anyone still rabbiting on claiming that people were saying the 2 litre was as good as it could be, are just uniformed, braindead trolls. It was the best diesel engine available at the time that would fit, it was never the best engine that could have been used in a fantasy world, where dropping engines into engine bays that won't fit them is as easy as imagining it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 03:22 PM   #281
prydey
Rob

Quote:

You can't think like that though because they do have ranger. It's success isn't a fluke.

They don't manufacture here so as long as they sell enough to support the dealers then they'll be here for a while.
Old 29-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #282
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Ford has dealerships in 180 countries that sell Ranger. Some of those countries sell only a few hundred cars a year. Yet Ford still has a presence there. Cambodia (or was it Myanmar?) has one dealership in the whole country, and they sell less than 200 cars a year. So what makes you think Ford would pack up and leave here just because Ranger sales drop off? FFS have a think about it before you go rabbiting this crap.

How many brands sell less than 1000 cars a month here? Probably 1/2 to 3/4 of them. Maybe they should all pack up and leave
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #283
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Obviously if you have diversity of product range you have greater security for your business, the big however in your theory for it to be of concern is if Ranger sales tank by 85% or more...are you willing to bet your gonads on that happening by mid- to late 2022?

The Mach E is being built in rhd for the UK market so i would assume once capacity and demand allows it we well eventually see it. Then an EV Transit Custom and Transit is coming, the Hybrid Escape will finally get here as will possibly other variants finally....it's not like there are no global RHD products for Ford Aust. to access...they just need access to the stock...

Last edited by Dr Smith; 29-11-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #284
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Can only sell what you can get, European stock will be a while getting to Australia,
Ranger and Everest keep plugging away, buyers love them.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #285
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Ranger and Everest keep plugging away, buyers love them.
Do they? I rarely see any Everests, which honestly surprises me given how much more useful an Everest appears to be (other than tradies, I seldom see anything in the back of a Ranger).
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 07:31 PM   #286
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Do they? I rarely see any Everests, which honestly surprises me given how much more useful an Everest appears to be (other than tradies, I seldom see anything in the back of a Ranger).
I’m like JDB, bla, bla, bla “ if Ranger tanks, Everest doesn’t sell ……”

I see most Tradies here driving a Ranger, with mods. AND I see plenty of Everests here also.

I switch off on these stupid posts, what if, what if, I don’t, I don’t …..
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2021, 08:01 PM   #287
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I’m like JDB, bla, bla, bla “ if Ranger tanks, Everest doesn’t sell ……”

I see most Tradies here driving a Ranger, with mods. AND I see plenty of Everests here also.

I switch off on these stupid posts, what if, what if, I don’t, I don’t …..
I would love to know the projections on new Ranger sales, is Ford looking at the same sales base that just
moves up to V6 and paying more or is this move expected to bring in a heap of new conquest buyers
turning their backs on other brands.

And then, a squarer Everest that’s more formidable against Prado but offering the silky smooth and quiet
V6 diesel, that’s gotta be a watershed moment, almost like Ranger debut in 2011 all over again but better…
Old 29-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #288
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...iesel-engines/

A good read
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #289
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
i have toolboxes that you can't see through, very handy feature.

my boss has a canopy on a tub, dark tinted windows, has stuff in it, its great because it can't be seen

is there really anything in a tray if that thing can't be seen. deep thoughts.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 08:21 PM   #290
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
Very interesting, thanks.
Old 29-11-2021, 08:24 PM   #291
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I suspect a lot of us make judgement what you on the road around your daily movements……
Rangers I see plenty as well as Hiluxs and more than numbers prevail Navara…..
Ranger done very well - Everest what I see on the road is on one hand.
Fugly Prado opposite plenty.
I expect it varies wherever you are.
It sure hasn’t been a Prado killer But maybe this new one losing that rounded back end and a V6 sure is promising if the Ranger is as good as quoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 08:35 PM   #292
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And then, a squarer Everest that’s more formidable against Prado but offering the silky smooth and quiet
V6 diesel
But when... next Prado (2022/3) is rumoured to get the TT V6 (albeit downtuned) from the LC300. Toyota will leak just enough to ensure the Toyota faithful remain patient.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #293
prydey
Rob

Quote:
But when... next Prado (2022/3) is rumoured to get the TT V6 (albeit downtuned) from the LC300. Toyota will leak just enough to ensure the Toyota faithful remain patient.
I don't think it's realistic to try to topple prado. Not short-term anyway. When Everest was first released Ford didn't do enough homework. Took them too long to get it rated for off road among other things. Prado is actually a pretty good product. Sure it's a bit agricultural but it's solid and Toyota work in with a lot of aftermatket companies realising the worth of doing so.

Hopefully this time around it starts off a lot stronger.
Old 29-11-2021, 08:52 PM   #294
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does the new 3.0 have a Timing Belt or Chain?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 09:22 PM   #295
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Does the new 3.0 have a Timing Belt or Chain?

Yes it does.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2021, 09:42 PM   #296
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Yes it does.
Old 29-11-2021, 10:05 PM   #297
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 29-11-2021, 10:28 PM   #298
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when the Ranger Raptor was released and a lot of people on AFF voiced their concerns with the tiny engine.

A handful of other member said stuff like "Ford know what they're doing, most people want a small efficient 4 cylinder in a Raptor 'performance' ute, Ford isn't going to put a bigger engine in it just to sell to a few enthusiasts"

Well I hope Ford realised they screwed up with this engine. They're only going to sell a handful to enthusiasts. Everyone will be opting for the 4 cylinder right?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2021, 11:13 PM   #299
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Bring back timing gears
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #300
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

you said

"Ford will follow Holden out the door in Australia!! They have nothing else...."
well they do have some very good cars other than Ranger, but Stock is what is killing their sales, drive past a dealer and take a look, then drive past a Holden dealer to see what they have - oh wait..

Besides Ranger wont flop, this thing looks good enough to take top spot
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post