Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Talking Tax the rich?

So Joe Hockey is planning to raise income tax on us in the Fed budget in 2 weeks. Great!

Meanwhile the following still occurs:

* those in the criminal economy dont pay income tax
* many/most of the very rich dont pay income tax
* those in the cash economy pay some or no income tax

Great!

But at least these 3 groups pay GST. When they visit Maccas, buy a Maserati or fly from Syd to Cairns. Even if a company or other entity they control pays for these things the GST is still being paid.

I challenge anyone here to tell me why income tax should be raised for you and me while the 3 groups above wont do a shred of heavy lifting on budget night.

Solution: raise the GST, broaden it. If it hurts some grannies, raise the pension.

This user likes this post:
Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: Tax the rich?

Amanda Vanstone was on the morning ABC news this morning, she was a co-author of the Commission of Audit report, it was funny as hell when she was asked to give up some of post-political life perks, she wasn't a fan at all - hmmmmm, hypocrisy?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
bungarra

The more you earn, the more they screw you. Doesn't pay to work hard anymore and do overtime or get more qualifications to earn better pay. You just beocme the whipping post for governments.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't need to tax the rich more, just start taxing companies properly.

One of endless examples..
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-0...evenue/5303426
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 04-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

The 2 problems in this country are:
1. The rich (companies and people) getting away with paying minimum tax possible
2. Too many people rorting the welfare system and not bothering to do their bit for society (1 million people on the disability pension, and increasing by 10,000 per month!! how many are genuinely deserving of this fund I ask?)

THE solution? Drop income tax altogether, and bump up the GST to compensate (be it to 15% or 20%), that way everyone pays based on their spending spree. AND, tighten the system, stop being a nation of givers. Some Asylum seekers who arrived in this country 10 years ago are still earning benefits and haven't worked a day in their lives! IMO, 3 months support, then you're on your own... that's how it is in the U.S.A.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
The 2 problems in this country are:
1. The rich (companies and people) getting away with paying minimum tax possible
2. Too many people rorting the welfare system and not bothering to do their bit for society (1 million people on the disability pension, and increasing by 10,000 per month!! how many are genuinely deserving of this fund I ask?)

THE solution? Drop income tax altogether, and bump up the GST to compensate (be it to 15% or 20%), that way everyone pays based on their spending spree. AND, tighten the system, stop being a nation of givers. Some Asylum seekers who arrived in this country 10 years ago are still earning benefits and haven't worked a day in their lives! IMO, 3 months support, then you're on your own... that's how it is in the U.S.A.
What happens if everyone stops spending.
8 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
Trump
bitch lasagne

The top end of town is safe from any of govcos debt and deficit reduction "initiatives".
The system is not set up to have the hard and smart working reap the rewards of their efforts. It is set up to benefit the unproductive top at the expense of those lower down on the economic foodchain.

That chart reckoning that those on $265k and up contribute 17% of tax is hogwash. They have the resources to move their money into untaxable or very low tax vehicles. Not only that, the expenses they incur in moving their money around are fully tax deductible.

If they were serious about balancing the books and restoring some sense of fairness and equality in this country, they would get rid of every single loophole and tax avoidance instrument that benefits the top of the finanicial ladder, introduce 100% reserve banking (replacing fractional reserve banking parasitism), eliminate all middle and upper class welfare, shrink government to the point where it is just big enough to provide for the essentials.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
5 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
What happens if everyone stops spending.
Why would they when they have more disposable income??
3 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra View Post
The more you earn, the more they screw you. Doesn't pay to work hard anymore and do overtime or get more qualifications to earn better pay. You just beocme the whipping post for governments.

What planet do you live on?

Is it not right and proper that those of us who do well pay our share to help out those less fortunate?

It really pees me off to see how mean spirited this country is becoming. And the more easy people are doing it the more mean spirited they get it seems.

I had a friend recently, a good hard working woman in the country, she got sick through no fault of her own, she was flown from Broken Hill to Adelaide for treatment etc. without no real out of pocket costs.

I put up a friend of mine who has come down with crippling arthritis due to some weird infection that all manner of drugs has failed to treat, he lived in a caravan with his dogs at the top of my hill largely shooting rabbit and deer to feed him and his two dogs. He had no welfare at all, I basically forced him after two years of getting no benefits to get advice on how to wind up his business so he can get access to disability etc. He now finally is on disability and getting some support.

Things like this make me proud to be in Australia.

When I get my tax bill (which is normally a fairly hefty five figures) I don't carry on like a poor downtrodden demented ranter oh woe is me my life is so hard and I have to pay so much just to support everyone else else etc. etc. dribble, cough. I see it as fair and proper. Wake up and smell the roses you one dimensional whingers.

Last edited by mcnews; 04-05-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
Starlightblue

Tax the churches and all religions

Problem fixed

Why should they get a free ride?
Old 04-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
shrink government to the point where it is just big enough to provide for the essentials.
Sounds good but how do you tell a politician to sack themselves and go out and find a real job lol.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
MattstaF6

Most of the people on benefits work cash in hand anyways. I think that at least 40% of the people on benefits are ripping the system.
Its a joke. There are people on disability pensions that can work but play it up and ruin it for the legit ones.
The government had an idea I thought was perfect a while ago. People on benefits receive a card like a debit card that people can only use on food and the important things that are needed. Not smokes and alcohol. That may get them working and paying taxes
6 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Sounds good but how do you tell a politician to sack themselves and go out and find a real job lol.
Have a million march on Canberra and blockade the place until they leave.

It goes beyond that though. Every post political career perk and benefit needs to disappear, they are completely unjustified and a massive drain on public resources.

The public service is loaded with dead wood in govco departments of total uselessness. They need to go, plain and simple.

Had Abbott and Co been serious about an audit of govco, they would have put in people from all walks of life and not loaded the commission with muppets like Vanstone and the talking heads representing the aforementioned top end of town.

Last edited by Trump; 04-05-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattstaF6 View Post
Most of the people on benefits work cash in hand anyways. I think that at least 40% of the people on benefits are ripping the system.
Its a joke. There are people on disability pensions that can work but play it up and ruin it for the legit ones.
The government had an idea I thought was perfect a while ago. People on benefits receive a card like a debit card that people can only use on food and the important things that are needed. Not smokes and alcohol. That may get them working and paying taxes
I agree with this, but the problem is govco receive a nice cut from booze and tobacco sales and its those ones you describe of that are the biggest spenders of such vices, i.e. reap the most profit from. Implement this kind of scheme and you will find it will be bought out by those industries to NOT come into fruition for said reasons.

Money talks in this system. Anything can be canned....for a price.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Have a million march on Canberra and blockade the place until they leave.
They did that in Ukraine and it kinda backfired, but completely agree the same level of service could probably be achieved by half the amount of people.

We have such a stable government though aside from killing people in the street the can pretty much get away with anything and they know this.

Last edited by Dash_XR; 04-05-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #16
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattstaF6 View Post
I was discussing this with my mum the other day. My sister has severe mental disabilities. She is 18 basically dependant on my mum to do most things for her my sister cannot talk read or write properly is basically a 3 year in an adult body. My mother is only able to work part time due having to care for my sister

She's entitled to 360 odd a fortnight disability pension and my mum is not entitled to a carers pension (at this point in time).

Yet when she turns 21 she entitled to over 720 a fortnight what the difference between being 18 and 21 when you're basically a 3 year old?

Why is it that someone with an extreme disability who is dependant on another to look after her receive less money compared to someone who for instance may have a bad back from not looking after themselves?

The disability pension is rife with rorters and over paid people the system needs a complete overhaul and people should be means tested.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #17
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
They did that in Ukraine and it kinda backfired, but completely agree the same level of service could probably be achieved by half the amount of people.
Unlike the Ukraine, we don't have the sheep shaggers across the ditch salivating to take over a la Russia

Sheep jokes aside, govco and its associates are taking full advantage of the apathy they helped create over the course of the past forty years. The Vietnam War era of political activism scared the crap out of them and as such, they needed to do something to get rid of such a mentality.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #18
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a band-aid fix (which probably will not work) for a bigger problem. The government is borrowing, spending, and creating money that does not actually exist.
This is an interesting and eye-opening video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0
Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #19
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
It's a band-aid fix (which probably will not work) for a bigger problem. The government is borrowing, spending, and creating money that does not actually exist.
This is an interesting and eye-opening video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0
Sound money and 100% reserve banking will eradicate the power private banks have over the monetary unit and provide an economic environment conducive to sustainable prosperity and mild deflation.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #20
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

bungarra,

youre only mentioning INCOME not existing or inherited or accumulated wealth. If a rich Chinese person moves to Australia (which I support) they arent paying income tax. They'll keep their millions offshore and spend here as they desire.

Income tax is UNFAIR tax. Its more unfair than the GST.

Id like the GST even higher on unimportant things, eg airfares, cars, jewellery, televisions.

Pre-2000 under the old sales tax system jewellery and TVs were taxed at 32% while the general rate was 22%.

(I was a tax officer from 1993-2000)

Last edited by turbodewd; 04-05-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: k
Old 04-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #21
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's interesting that the ones making the recommendations to get the budget back in surplus are the ones that will be least affected by the changes thanks to their ridiculous salaries and perks

We all need to work together to get the budget in the black ? - yeah right - you mean middle class Australia has to cop it yet again

We are being stooged - yes we have debt but it is only 12% of GDP which is still quite low

E.G if you earn $1000 per week, $120.00 of that is debt

We need to reel in our spending but the government is hell bent on crucifying us instead of delivering a budget that will get us in the back that does not adversely affect us

Governments are very good at waisting money and politicians are very good at looking after themselves when they are in office and afterwards and that's why these a- holes become politicians so that they can feather their own nests - nearly none of them could make it working in the real world

None of those a - holes will have to work till they are 70 before they retire either

What can we do - mass protest is the only way and I'm talking about tens of thousands of people - look at the French , they don't take crap from their government - we just simply cop it and I don't understand why

These ****** forget that they work for us . I say burn the parliament to the ground
Old 04-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #22
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
If a rich Chinese person moves to Australia (which I support) they arent paying income tax. They'll keep their millions offshore and spend here as they desire.
Yeah, obviously you don’t live around Glen Waverley.
Rich Chinese, they’re everywhere and they can **** off back home for all I care. And when your kids can’t afford to ever buy a house, thank the rich Chinese. It’s got to the point now that they even print real estate brochures in Chinese.

Oh by the way, I’m a ******g racist and proud of it.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #23
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise View Post
Yeah, obviously you don’t live around Glen Waverley.
Rich Chinese, they’re everywhere and they can **** off back home for all I care. And when your kids can’t afford to ever buy a house, thank the rich Chinese. It’s got to the point now that they even print real estate brochures in Chinese.

Oh by the way, I’m a ******g racist and proud of it.
I do live in Glen Waverley. I have a friend who is a real estate agent in the area, he told me he gets calls daily from wealthy Chinese offering to buy any property in the area, basically sight unseen. House prices are ridiculous around this area.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #24
MattstaF6

Yep the Chinese are not helping with house prices. I'm looking for a place at the moment and prices have gone up again. I think its not only the Chinese though. I think its also the fact that Australians in general are paying top $$ for houses and accept the high prices. If everyone looking for a house didn't buy for 3 months this would force prices down.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
What can we do - mass protest is the only way and I'm talking about tens of thousands of people - look at the French , they don't take crap from their government - we just simply cop it and I don't understand why
Next time there is a march in march type event you'll see, the one in Melbourne was huge but politicians and media just laughed it off because apparently there was no "purpose" behind it.

There isn't any decent prices on land anywhere in Melbourne, even out in the Macedon Ranges its starting to get stupidly expensive, tiny properties in Gisborne, Woodend, Riddles Creek etc are in the $200K+ mark for 1500m2 blocks, and its about 60km out of Melbourne, in the 90s they were a 10th of the price.

The only places with cheap land (sub $100K) with building approval for a dwelling are on the other side of Bendigo.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #26
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Why is this in the car talk section?

I'm fed up with politics, they're all the same -hopeless, and try to not think about it as nothing anyone says helps; it just gets more depressing. Which is why I'd rather talk about cars here.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its good to have a bit of a whinge and it seems the leash has been extended a bit by the mods but maybe we could move it into the non car section?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #28
commonrails

The politicians need to amend the 1953 tax act were oversea's company's pays FA tax, but they won't. Google made over 1 billion in oz last financial year and paid 60k in tax (before the political backlash). 1 of the big 4 banks (well there is at least 1 that I'm aware of) that has off shored their head office to avoid paying some Australian tax. What more do I need to say?

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-e...501-37iq1.html
Old 04-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Apple paid SFA tax here in Australia as well, they send profits overseas to some tax haven where they pay barely any tax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4o13isDdfY

Documentary explaining how it works and the big boys like Google, Amazon and Starbucks under scrutiny in the UK for their tax dodging.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #30
Jallopy

Well we just cant keep going the way we are...
30 million dollars a DAY in interest we are paying.

Where was every one when the last Govt was spending all your money?
Nah we all shut up and held out our hand now we have to at least stop the debt getting bigger. 30 million dollars a DAY in interest we are paying

Put me in charge I will fix it.

First... anyone who receives a payment / pension from the govt will be on a register that anyone can view online.

It will have Name, age, sex, address and type of pension being received.

We can then dob the dishonest in if they end up working a couple of days here or there, or if they buy and sell cars etc. to make a couple of bob on the sly.

I have no idea who is on the dole now, but if there was a way I could search for an address to see if they were receiving payments it would be brilliant.

What about privacy I hear you do gooders scream .
That is simple if you dont want your name up there with millions of others dont put your hand out every fortnight for a handout.
IT IS A CONDITION OF GETTING THE PAYMENT YOUR DETAILS GO UP.
Closed Thread