Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up All things Solar (merged threads)

I for one have......3.5 kilowatt system producing an average of 21 kilowatts of energy per day

my average daily use is around the 10 kilowatts per day

I purchased and had mine installed before the september cutoff date so was able to take full advantage of the solar infeed tariff

I also pressured my power supplier into a .50c per kilowatt infeed tariff

given the disincentives from our government I would not readily go down this path again

why in this day and age of rising energy costs, would the government actually reduce the infeed tariff from the home producer, I would have thought it would be greatly appreciated given it takes pressure off the "mainstream" generators

money I guess and the lack of payment to the multinational companies

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

2.1 Kw system, it works well, however I would have got a bigger system if I could as I still pay for electircity. meaning I dont generate enough electricity - what I do generate subsidises what I use. My system is a couple of years old so a 2.1kw system was expensive back then. I should have held off and bought one last year I could have a 4kw system for the same price I paid for the 2.1kw system

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I don't think it does take pressures off the mainstream generators. Solar hardly produces anything during the peak usage hours of 4pm-8pm.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looked into it,but too expensive. $13000+ buys a lot of electricity.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a 5kw system purchased before the cut off. We receive 66c per kw and pay about an average of 20c per kw we use. On a nice day we can sell about 24 kw ontop of what we have used for the day. Overnight we buy about 10 kw. Payback time will be about 4 to 5 years, free electricity thereafter. I'm happy.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
fat289
fat289

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
We have a 5kw system purchased before the cut off. We receive 66c per kw and pay about an average of 20c per kw we use. On a nice day we can sell about 24 kw ontop of what we have used for the day. Overnight we buy about 10 kw. Payback time will be about 4 to 5 years, free electricity thereafter. I'm happy.

Its the 66c they pay you & everbody else on that scheem thats put electricity costs up for everbody else mate !!!

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat289
Its the 66c they pay you & everbody else on that scheem thats put electricity costs up for everbody else mate !!!

Yep good is'nt it......
Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat289
Some what true. If you are on a 66 cent buy back, you pay more per peak KW you use, than somone who does not have solar.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would like to expand my system to around the 5 kilowatt but to do that would mean putting it on the roof of the house which I'm reluctant to do

.50c per kilowatt gives me a "profit" (fully taxable of course) of around $2,000 per year,

given the system cost me about $13,500 then upgrades to my distribution box costings of $3,000, total of roughly $16,500.....this included the government rebate of around $4,500

then I am looking at free power in around 8 - 9 years

power prices are skyrocketing because of the mining industry and simple price gouging by overseas conglomerates,

the generators tell you it is because of home solar systems but it is bunkum the other excuse was to "cover necessary upgrades to the infrastructure" which is not happening in our region at least

I'm glad I went solar when I did even though the systems are a hell of a lot cheaper now and will continue to fall in the future

there are systems going up everywhere here!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Solar scheme was a vote-buying folly of enormous proportions.

If the govt really wanted to produce solar power they would have poured the money into legitimate, large scale solar farms.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is being thought of right now amongst the upper echelons to replace the port augusta coal power station with a solar array of monstrous proportions

at the moment wind farms are sprouting up everywhere

Old 06-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Some what true. If you are on a 66 cent buy back, you pay more per peak KW you use, than somone who does not have solar.

Also only somewhat true. I was on off peak hot water (g8) tariff and the normal tariff. Now i pay 30 cents peak and and 15 cents off peak, but the off peak is for all electricity used after 11 pm till 8am M-F and all weekend. So it's about the same. Oh and i get a 12 % discount for paying on time. Also I believe the Government pays towards the 66 cent infeed tariff.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep! ^^^^^ lower supply charge, 10% discount for early payment and 26c peak!.....pays to talk to your supplier for a better deal

Old 06-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I pay 22 cents per KW/h peak and 8 cents per KW/h off peak.

My latest electricity bill is $148 for the quarter.

No, I'm not on solar (tight **** property manager).
Old 06-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
z80
Banned

11kw system.

Making about 50+ kilowatts a day.

Did not apply for the rebates, claimed the GSt and depreciation instead as well; as the govt 50% stimulus to businesses.
(buying all the gear wholesale with an ABN was far cheaper than being ripped off with a solar business who get all the RECS and just inflate the prices of the components)

Getting minimum $500 credit per quarter on my bill as well as 100% free power.

With depreciation etc 3 year maximum payback period.

Last edited by z80; 06-02-2012 at 04:26 PM.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
11kw system.

Making about 50+ kilowatts a day.

Did not apply for the rebates, claimed the GSt and depreciation instead as well; as the govt 50% stimulus to businesses.
(buying all the gear wholesale with an ABN was far cheaper than being ripped off with a solar business who get all the RECS and just inflate the prices of the components)

Getting minimum $500 credit per quarter on my bill as well as 100% free power.

With depreciation etc 3 year maximum payback period.

Great work z80!

We have the 66c rebate. Haven't paid a bill in a year and a half! 6 months left to pay off the system. And 13 years til we get the RECS back too.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

okay now you mention the renewable energy certificates can you explain to me

(1) what the the hell they are

(2) what can be done with them

I understand they are like stock's and bond's but who buy's them and what for!

Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
okay now you mention the renewable energy certificates can you explain to me

(1) what the the hell they are

(2) what can be done with them

I understand they are like stock's and bond's but who buy's them and what for!

The govt gives you a dollar value incentive according to the number of watts rating of your panels up to a maximum of 1000 watts (last I looked)

It lets the govt know how many watts of renewables are out there to meet their targets.

So lets say you get 70 RECs for a 1kw system.
Today they are worth 30 dollars each...so the rebate is $2100.

Hope that explains it.

Here is the official calculator...

https://www.rec-registry.gov.au/sguCalculatorInit.shtml

Normally the installer gives you a "discount" and they claim it as a deduction off the price...Hmmmm...
Old 06-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah! I got the discount but it wasn't in that region of dollars......I got a fair bit off but not for that!

thanks for the explain! makes it a bit clearer

Old 06-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

REC = Renewable Energy Certificate (Photovoltaic)
STC = Small Scale Technology Certificate (Solar Hot Water)

Each system is deemed to remove a certain amount of tonnes of greenhouse gases over a period of ten years. It gets a little ocmplicated with PV though, because however many tonnes of C02 it rids, that figure is multiplied by 4, and that is your REC value.

Each REC has a dollar value, like shares, and that value will go up and down depending on what the independent REC traders are willing to pay.

For example, a 1.5kW system may qualify for 25 RECs, but you are able to claim 100 RECs instead of just $25 at whatever value they are.

You are able to hold onto your RECs instead of gaining the point of sale rebate, and you can sell your RECs to the highest paying trader. I've never had a customer whose paid full price instead of taking hte rebate though.

How they are created is a tricky one though, because the government doesn't pay for it.

When an organisation wishes to create a landfill, a power plant, remove forestry, or anything anti-green, they must seek approval from government regulators. They then are told how many STC's they have to buy to allow them to complete whichever work they need to.

So for example, if Rio Tinto wants to dig a new hole in Karratha, the plan is presented and the regulator instructs them to purchase 10,000 RECs at current market value.

These 10,000 RECs are then paid to the REC traders, who will pass on the value of the RECs to either the retailer, or the customer.

In my opinion it shows how green the government really is, that for every tonne of greenhouse gases removed by renewable energy, a tonne is created...
Old 06-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #21
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good explanation....thanks for that, yeah! the guvment certainly aren't dinkum about cleaning up the place when theres a quid to be made!

I reckon the power company will owe me money on this bill due this month....my first amongst many (I hope)

whats going to happen to all this credit, we will end up owning the companies

Old 06-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a 3kw system getting 44c per kilowat producing 20kw on a a good day,
only use about 10kw per day. Cost $7k

We usually get a power cheque (not bill) each 1/4 and will have paid itself in under 4 years.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #23
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have any of you blokes got solar hot water

how do you get on with it

does it save you anything...good thing,..bad thing

I'm thinking of getting one but can't see it doing any good, we all shower after work (night time) so given the solar side of the thing wouldn't work then it would be automatically boosted by gas or lectrickery wouldn't it

thereby negating any foreseeable benefits

do i simply switch the boost side off and let the hot water in the heater go cold until the morrow???

Old 06-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Got solar hot water . It is great. But you need a booster switch if you have a few rainy days in a row, as a back up. Wish I had got solar hot water years ago. Cost $2500 after rebates. 2 adults , 3 kids who all love long showers !!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
Looked into it,but too expensive. $13000+ buys a lot of electricity.
Wait till you see how much electricity is predicted to go up over the next 5 years. That $13,000 might not of looked to bad. Our $15,000 system will have paid for itself in 4 years. We wont have any power bills. You will.....................
Old 06-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #26
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Got solar hot water . It is great. But you need a booster switch if you have a few rainy days in a row, as a back up. Wish I had got solar hot water years ago. Cost $2500 after rebates. 2 adults , 3 kids who all love long showers !!
so do you leave it on all the time or just boost as necessary!

last I looked into it the price, from memory, was around the $3,500 gas boosted

the reason i'm asking is if we swap our power supply across to origin we will be able to pay for our gas bill and buy a solar hot water system from the infeed credits of the solar array

at the moment we will just have a useless credit (I think) unless i pay tax on it which I don't want to do.....may as well use the excess power generated to pay for something

Old 06-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #27
z80
Banned

Quote:
have any of you blokes got solar hot water

how do you get on with it

does it save you anything...good thing,..bad thing???

Saved us stuff all...it lasted 10 years and then shat itself, it needed to be completely replaced.
That worked out at 500 dollars a year in wear and tear.
A normal electric would have been 60 dollars a year wear and tear.

With off peak power at 9c a kw thats a lot of wear and tear versus power savings...not worth it.

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting one but can't see it doing any good, we all shower after work (night time) so given the solar side of the thing wouldn't work then it would be automatically boosted by gas or lectrickery wouldn't it

thereby negating any foreseeable benefits???
Most solar systems are boosted with dirty power if the thermostat says it didnt get hot enough during the day.

Quote:
do i simply switch the boost side off and let the hot water in the heater go cold until the morrow???
You can have it boost off full priced power during the day (or have a luke warm shower)

Or you can wait till its boosted late at night and go to bed dirty, then shower in the morning.

Either way unless you are in QLD,WA OR NT you will use full priced power in a lot of cases.

I prefer to make solar electricity and then use the electricity to make the hot water at 1/7th the price they paid me for the power....
Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #28
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm! yeah sorta backed up a bit of my thinking!

Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #29
z80
Banned

Quote:
Hmm! yeah sorta backed up a bit of my thinking!

Yep...if the Govt puts a rebate on anything up goes the price.

Since when does it cost 5k to make a black bit of metal with pipes and a water cylinder when I can get a std hot water system for under $1k?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #30
xbcool
dazed&confused

installed a 4kw system 9month ago making 24kw on a nice day and haven't had a bill since and a couple of hundred bucks in credit. bills were around 1000 bucks .

we were using a massive 38kw a day but made a lot of changes to get it down to just under 10 kw/day and havn't looked back.

steve

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post