Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #91
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Default Re: Difference between S/C 8 and Turbo Barra

To put it in perspective, at racewars I went 240 kph with F6 400rwkw. To go that speed a supercharged xr8 needed 466rwkw.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 24-03-2018, 11:51 PM   #92
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
To put it in perspective, at racewars I went 240 kph with F6 400rwkw. To go that speed a supercharged xr8 needed 466rwkw.
What was required for you to hit 400rwkw, and what was required for the XR8 to hit 466? I'd guess at similar mods probably.....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 24-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #93
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

https://www.fordforums.com.au/vbport...php?t=11467472

That car runs on E85. I was on 98.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 25-03-2018, 02:32 AM   #94
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
They had kilometers of road. If 6th would have helped they would have used it.

They would not have been happy with 297. The goal was over 300.

The car just couldn't do it.

PS- that car run just past 7000rpm, does the factory car rev this high???

So could run to 7k in 5th. Car just couldnt go any faster...
297kph in 5th gear is just over 6400rpm so he was probably bouncing off the limiter...

The same speed with the ZF auto in 5th would show 6000rpm and 300kph would have been reached without a problem.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 25-03-2018, 03:05 AM   #95
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

That GTF may have had a raised rev limit. Watch the Video at 1.39. Revs post 7k. Remember it's a 8k tacho.

Just because a car has a theoretical speed doesn't mean it can reach it.

I reckon 297 was all a GTF has. That is 187mph.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #96
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For pure acceleration in a given distance, one can see- given the fat and non linear "hump" torque and power band of a blown barra, that to achieve similar acceleration a Miami with a linear power and torque curve- will need to achieve significantly higher peak power -because the linear power curve needs to be dragged up.

But pure top speed- no limit on distance to achieve- it is all about power. If you have a Miami with 400 rwkw and a Barra with 380 rwkw on a top speed run the Miami would do it-assuming unlimited roadway, assuming each car has optimum gearing for their respective peak power, and assuming that the cars have identical wind resistance drag at play.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 25-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #97
Geeseman
Double Reppuken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post

I'd love the joy of a SC V8 Miami of course but our own tried and tested Barra Turbo is a sweet and bloody quick donk and as for idling like a truck engine..Where'd you get that from . None of the Barra Turbo or even N/A's I've ever experienced sound anything like that.

Do you reckon FPV would muck around with a turbo 6 and put their reputation on the line with it if they thought it wasn't up to it .

Short and definitive answer is NO.

Your post reads a bit like sour grapes to me .
Sitting in the 6 the engine idles poorly causing vibration in the cabin. No such issues with the 8.
The only pro of the 6 is torque and given the boost the 8 can beat that too and still drive and sound better.
Old 25-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #98
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I'm not sure how you think there was no R&D on the Barra 6. It went from a 4.1 crossflow 6, through iterations of EA 3.9, increase up to 4.0 for EB through to AU going from dizzy to coilpack, and then DOHC 4.0 from BA. At the same time, they chucked a turbo on it, and in that form it went from 240 to 270 to 310 to 325 kw in final FGX Sprint guise - each step along the way would have cost millions in R&D; maybe not in engine casting changes (although there was some of that), but definitely in wages of engineers etc. It's an evolution of 50 years from the engine that started in the 60s.....

$40M on making the coyote into the Miami would be a pittance in comparison.
More like evolution than revolution on the six though . You could say that for pretty much every long term engine base . The single biggest revolution to the six was the Turbo in 2002 but going from crossflow
to OHC to DOHC and multi point fuel injection would probably be somewhere in between evolution to revolution.

No matter what way you package it the six ended up as a truly remarkable , durable and strong engine that's powered the bulk of Ford cars in this country for a long time and the last Barra turbo's were /are something to be proud of .

Said it before and I'll say it again , not much point directly comparing the Barra to the Miami because they're very different beasts and why many of us diehard Ford fans were blessed with a different choice for our performance requirements .

Be happy we have them both , not decry one or the other . PLEASE.....
6 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #99
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeseman View Post
Sitting in the 6 the engine idles poorly causing vibration in the cabin. No such issues with the 8.
The only pro of the 6 is torque and given the boost the 8 can beat that too and still drive and sound better.
That 6 must of not been running right. All the Barras ( have 4 barra powered cars in the family + plus all the others i have been in) the idle is soo smooth you can't even tell if the engine is running or not when sitting in the car at idle.
6 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #100
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
That 6 must of not been running right. All the Barras ( have 4 barra powered cars in the family + plus all the others i have been in) the idle is soo smooth you can't even tell if the engine is running or not when sitting in the car at idle.
Absolutely , I can barely tell mine is idling unless the air con fan is below two on the fan speed scale other than the tacho of course . Certainly no vibration whatsoever..Baby bum smooth..
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #101
shaness8

A mildly tuned Barra makes max torque between 3500-3800 and max Kw at 5200 its all over by 6k.

On the road between 3-4k the Barra is a weapon with its massive torque not much can match it .

The area where the 8 shines is its ability to rev higher in the 6-7k, both engines can make the same KW but at different rpm, anything under 5k the Barra will destroy the s/c 8.
Old 25-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #102
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

It’s all dependent on how boost is delivered

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 25-03-2018, 07:15 PM   #103
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

12.13/116mph stock F6 - Geezuz shaness8 not bad. That’s bog stock yeah?
Just read your signature. Brilliant
Apologies for the quick detour.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #104
shaness8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
12.13/116mph stock F6 - Geezuz shaness8 not bad. That’s bog stock yeah?
Just read your signature. Brilliant
Apologies for the quick detour.
Stock with K&N filter in it
Old 25-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #105
Geeseman
Double Reppuken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
I’ve owned 4 turbo 6 cars and 4 nas and all have the idle issue, however the turbos are worse.
Old 25-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #106
Geeseman
Double Reppuken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaness8 View Post

The area where the 8 shines is its ability to rev higher in the 6-7k, both engines can make the same KW but at different rpm, anything under 5k the Barra will destroy the s/c 8.
An 8 running 400+ rwkw makes killer torque from below 2000 rpm. Much more streetable than a 400rwkw 6. Sure the 6 is fun but it’s also stupid at the same time. The sprint 6 is two seconds slower around circuits as tested by motor mag and for good reason the 8 is just a much better engine.
Old 25-03-2018, 10:04 PM   #107
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Again from my customer the engineer, he said early ford testing showed the sprint 8 had better turn in and mid corner speed compared to the sprint turbo, but the sprint turbo had more exit speed

Old 25-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #108
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
Again from my customer the engineer, he said early ford testing showed the sprint 8 had better turn in and mid corner speed compared to the sprint turbo, but the sprint turbo had more exit speed
Yes- but as Geesman said, the blown 8 was faster than the blown 6 on a track as tested. The 8 got higher speeds on the longer straights, on some tighter exists the 6 punched out harder but ran out of legs on the straights.

Was an interesting test, with graphs showing the speeds the 8 and 6 reached at different parts of track, but end result was the 8 was faster round the track, and not by a gnats ball hair either....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 25-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #109
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

What I have read is the extra weight of the V8 upsets the handling in the corners when compared to the 6 .

I feel the linear power curve of the V8 would make it easier to drive at the track once the power is turned up.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 25-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #110
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Yes- but as Geesman said, the blown 8 was faster than the blown 6 on a track as tested. The 8 got higher speeds on the longer straights, on some tighter exists the 6 punched out harder but ran out of legs on the straights.

Was an interesting test, with graphs showing the speeds the 8 and 6 reached at different parts of track, but end result was the 8 was faster round the track, and not by a gnats ball hair either....
Have you thought that quicker corners times can help make a car quicker around a track?
It helps just like faster top speeds can help

2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #111
sixman

Quote:
An 8 running 400+ rwkw makes killer torque from below 2000 rpm. Much more streetable than a 400rwkw 6. Sure the 6 is fun but it’s also stupid at the same time. The sprint 6 is two seconds slower around circuits as tested by motor mag and for good reason the 8 is just a much better engine.
The same motor mag that rates the vf2 SSV a much better car than the figx xr8?
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
Old 25-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #112
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Greater corner speed has a greater influence on lap times than speeds on the straight

A few ks extra corner speed will reduce lap times greater than a extra 10-15kph on the straights.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 10:53 PM   #113
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixman View Post
Let's not bring the VF SSVR into it. Cause once you drive one you can see why they are so quick at the track.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 26-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #114
Geeseman
Double Reppuken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixman View Post
It pretty much is. It’s also faster.
Old 26-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #115
Geeseman
Double Reppuken!

Quote:
Greater corner speed has a greater influence on lap times than speeds on the straight

A few ks extra corner speed will reduce lap times greater than a extra 10-15kph on the straights.
Pretty much all the motor reviewers said the sprint 8 was far better than the 6. The auto is also a dated trans and the 8 is available in manual which posted a better time. /end of debate
Old 26-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #116
adz137

Quote:
Pretty much all the motor reviewers said the sprint 8 was far better than the 6. The auto is also a dated trans and the 8 is available in manual which posted a better time. /end of debate
Haha what are you smoking, i'll have some please. Pretty much every review i've read has given the sprint 6 a better score.

This is from motor magazine who gave the xr8 sprint 3.5 and the xr6 sprint 4.0.

The XR6 Sprint pips the XR8 not just by one token newton metre, but also by price – and it seems performance, the six-pot Falcon as fast in a straight line but the sweeter handler.

It’s an awkward truth we’ll look to confirm in a future issue of the mag before the Falcons are gone forever, but while both Sprints will go down as greats, the best performance Falcon ever could be a six.
Old 26-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #117
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'll tell you what Geeseman! How about you stick a Super Charged 5Litre V8. In your Toyota Aurion and see how fast it goes.
Old 26-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #118
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It pretty much is. It’s also faster.

Dejavu

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 26-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #119
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
I'll tell you what Geeseman! How about you stick a Super Charged 5Litre V8. In your Toyota Aurion and see how fast it goes.
Its always a emotional subject yet most are on the same team, go figure.
I have had disagreements with Geeseman in the past and more so our far west ol mate arronm gets his jollys antaganising people via the keyboard that gets him off like this thread due to his motor preference, his posting most times is negative.
Those not in the know geeseman has had fairly high modded Turbos and the last he had was a Miami as well so he is talking from his own experience as well, just as all of you !
He's not the green man either.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #120
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Geeseman is not HULK try new member Fiji more like it just an observation?

Closed Thread