Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default rust!

Eight month old Mondeo Trend. Rust and blistering on stonechip on the bonnet. It's a lease car so I'm not overly bothered, but if I'd bought this I'd be fuming

simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
Twinkles

Default Re: rust!

It's a stonechip mate. Of course it's going to rust? Why didn't you put a dab of clear nail polish on it when it first happened? Then it wouldn't be rusty.
Twinkles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2017, 12:41 AM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Nearly 8yr old Mondeo here with more than 20 stone chips on the bonnet, all touched up, none with rust.
Old 16-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

The panel is dented. Must have been a big stone.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Looks like it copped a decent stone. Of course bare metal will rust.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I got sunburnt on the weekend coz I didn't apply suncream.
I blame Ford.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

oh well, I guess my expectations of what is acceptable after eight months on a car that is supposed to have a 10 year anti-perforation warranty is different to others here - never mind.
Old 16-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any car that gets a whopper of a stone chip that takes away all the paint and goes back to baremetal will rust in that spot as it's no longer protected. If it gets touched up quick enough it won't be a problem. Without the paint on the metal, it's no longer protected in that spot... pretty basic stuff.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
.:4:.
Kicking back

On the once or twice I had copped any major chips or scrapes on coloured cars back in the day, I'd straight away rube them down with wax and grease remover, fill the chip with the best match of crayon to the colour I could get, then wax over the top. It was a bit ugly and only a temp fix, but I never had rust issues and the fix was only obvious because of the dent or if you knew it was there. On fridge white work cars I use white out. Ugly again, but it stops the rust. Work only fix cars if they are undriveable, and my bosses definition of that is extreme, one guy has been driving a van for over a year where the top of the drivers door is bent 2 inches out from the car. He gets wet when it rains, apparently that's Mitsubishis version of active fatigue management....
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Any car that gets a whopper of a stone chip that takes away all the paint and goes back to baremetal will rust in that spot as it's no longer protected. If it gets touched up quick enough it won't be a problem. Without the paint on the metal, it's no longer protected in that spot... pretty basic stuff.
It's not quite that simple. Car anti-corrosion and paint systems should prevent rust forming in this case. I haven't seen a stone chip rust like that for many years. Not impressed, Ford.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 16-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #11
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
It's not quite that simple. Car anti-corrosion and paint systems should prevent rust forming in this case. I haven't seen a stone chip rust like that for many years. Not impressed, Ford.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
The paint coating is an integral/important part of the anti-corrosion system.
The paint coating has been compromised in this case and the raw metal has been exposed. All stone chips where it has gone down to the metal should be touched up ASAP.
Grab two watermelons, poke a hole in one, leave both on shelf and see which one starts to rot first.
I kinda thought this was common knowledge.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
oh well, I guess my expectations of what is acceptable after eight months on a car that is supposed to have a 10 year anti-perforation warranty is different to others here - never mind.
I'm not sure who told you that the panel perforation warranty was 10 years, it is five years:

https://www.ford.com.au/content/dam/...leWarranty.pdf

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
The paint coating is an integral/important part of the anti-corrosion system.
The paint coating has been compromised in this case and the raw metal has been exposed. All stone chips where it has gone down to the metal should be touched up ASAP.
Grab two watermelons, poke a hole in one, leave both on shelf and see which one starts to rot first.
I kinda thought this was common knowledge.
"Raw" metal? What's that?

It looks like a pretty decent stone chip. Where the paint and anti-corrosion coating have been removed, yes, you will see surface rust if it's not touched up. But there shouldn't be rust spreading from the bare metal under the paint like that. It does make you wonder how well the e-coat was applied.

There's been a few posts regarding quality issues on the MD. I might just look for a late model MC when it's time to change the MB.
Old 17-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #14
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It looks like bog on my computer.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #15
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And now because it wasn't acted on immediately by the OP it is now going to be harder to fix

Didnt they come out with touch up pen? Only costs like $20 if it didnt anyway
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #16
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
"Raw" metal? What's that?

It looks like a pretty decent stone chip. Where the paint and anti-corrosion coating have been removed, yes, you will see surface rust if it's not touched up. But there shouldn't be rust spreading from the bare metal under the paint like that. It does make you wonder how well the e-coat was applied.

There's been a few posts regarding quality issues on the MD. I might just look for a late model MC when it's time to change the MB.
Water gets under the paint, through the chip. Then spider webs from there. Happens to any car with stone chips. Except on plastic bumpers.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #17
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
Water gets under the paint, through the chip. Then spider webs from there. Happens to any car with stone chips. Except on plastic bumpers.
The e-coat (primer / base coat) wasn't applied properly. I haven't seen anything like that since we stopped assembling cars in NZ about 20 years ago.
Old 18-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #18
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 1974 Dodge ute nearly broke in half with rust, a cop asked me if I had any reason for driving the vehicle with rust in it (which I didn't). After it was stickered I sold it to a wrecker.

It had a catch can for oil and I put the oil back in the engine now and then: call it eco mode.

On my MC bonnet chips I used some matching paint which is now a solid lump. The car has had zero mechanical issues in 160000km. Just brakes, once, and buzzing vacuum solenoid which I replaced as a precaution. I like the MC but I wouldn't mind going back.

If you live near the sea, the rust might be worse, but the life . . .
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #19
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

spoke to the corrosion supervisor at yypg this week and he confirmed that rust like that is not normal. Mondeo hoods are Zn coated. His suggestion is that the Zn coating may have been buffed off in that area for some reason
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #20
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

okay, so that didn't end up too well, but I'm not sure a dab of clear nail varnish would really have helped much. The paint literally peeled off under pressure wash

Old 03-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #21
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
okay, so that didn't end up too well, but I'm not sure a dab of clear nail varnish would really have helped much. The paint literally peeled off under pressure wash

In general I always just use a hose because any lifting paint, or even paint chips can be accelerated with pressure. I saw it happen twice when I was younger. Once to a ute, and in the same session to the bobcat beside it. It looks like you're in a very annoying situation.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #22
Mondaveo

Quote:
The paint literally peeled off under pressure wash

It looks like one layer of coloured paint. Shouldn't there be a primer coat underneath it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post