Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
'63Deluxe
Irregular Member

Default Quality construction - Guess the make

Look what just happened to my radiator! It just fell apart, lucky I wasn't driving or out in the sticks. It's boody made of plastic, are all new cars like this?

The car only just clicked over 40,000km- ИИИ peice of rubbish. AAAARRRH

The tilt tray is on the way

Last edited by '63Deluxe; 04-11-2017 at 11:05 AM.
'63Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
NZ
~~~

cars have had plastic side tanks for years now.
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

hmmm... late model commy?

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
EL_futuraistic

looks like a late model commodore... vx/vy. I have broken a radiator tank in the same way removing the radiator hose as it was on FT.

Is that covered under warranty??
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
'63Deluxe
Irregular Member

Angry

VY II ute.

and I have told them it's under warranty

things fixed so far
Paint work covered in dull spots within 2 weeks
Holden hard lid needed adjustment so it would actually lock
New Diff - at 11000 km, clunky coasting along
drive axel fell out whilst driving - nice and noisy also made the ABS go beserkried to stop
and now the radiator
'63Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

Lemon!!

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
gmhdriver
Banned

Pretty much all new cars these days have radiators with plastic tanks, and have had since about the late 80's. I don't see any real benefit in it, apart from lighter weight and possible cheaper production costs.

While the car manufacturers can be blamed to a certain extent, what it all comes down to is the production quality of the third party suppliers.
Both Holden and Ford source many compontents from the same suppliers and correct me if I'm wrong, I think radiators is one of them (from Calsonic?), meaning that Falcons aren't exempt from these sorts of problems either.

Same with the noisy diff - It is common knowledge that both Falcons and Commodores have dodgy diffs (moreso in the Falcons for some reason) as they sourced from the same supplier (Dana). I suspect this is the main reason for Holden dumping Dana as their diff supplier and contracting ZF to supply units for the VE.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #8
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Ea's where the first ford with a plastic radiator,and mabey vr on commies?It is fairly common,I cracked a tank n my eb xr8 when it was 8yo,wasn't even trying,and I live in the sticks! :
Old 26-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
Ea's where the first ford with a plastic radiator,and mabey vr on commies?
VN V6's were the first with plastic radiators I believe, while the VT V8 was the first V8 model to have a plastic radiator.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

That radiator hose clamp looks like it is overtightened. Thing with plastic tanks is if you overtighten the hose clamp, you can actually crack the outlet flange which will allow vibration and normal use to accentuate the damage. Had the same thing on a DA. Radiator guy showed me the broken off part had been cracked for a while, and was cause by overtightening. Good news is though, they are not that expensive to fix.

Quote: