Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default NBN so far, whats your experience?

Hows your NBN connection running since you switched over, happy or frustrated?

Let us know your thoughts, impressions, hints & tips please, hopefully this thread can be helpful for NBN noobs like me lol!!

My experience atm is its a bit hit & miss but when running good its real good, probably because of a faulty white box, not sure yet until its checked out by a Telstra tech.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

We've had NBN fixed wireless for nearly 2 years now.
Gotta say it's excellent, especially compared to the satellite we used to have.
Speeds seem to be between about 45 - 50 all the time and we haven't had a drop out yet.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hows your NBN connection running since you switched over, happy or frustrated?

Let us know your thoughts, impressions, hints & tips please, hopefully this thread can be helpful for NBN noobs like me lol!!

My experience atm is its a bit hit & miss but when running good its real good, probably because of a faulty white box, not sure yet until its checked out by a Telstra tech.

cheers, Maka
You don't mention what connection you are running.

If you are running FTTN, then the general consensus is that it is worthwhile inspecting the cabling in your house, especially if it's older and has multiple phone points. People are reporting an improvement in stability and performance by spending some money having these eliminated.

It is worthwhile baselining your network sync speeds and checking over time. This will give you an indication of link quality.

If your "perceived" performance varies at different times of the day ie good during the day, poor an night and there is a pattern to this then you probably need to look at your ISP and whether they are providing a congestion free service to your area
Old 23-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
You don't mention what connection you are running.

If you are running FTTN, then the general consensus is that it is worthwhile inspecting the cabling in your house, especially if it's older and has multiple phone points. People are reporting an improvement in stability and performance by spending some money having these eliminated.

It is worthwhile baselining your network sync speeds and checking over time. This will give you an indication of link quality.

If your "perceived" performance varies at different times of the day ie good during the day, poor an night and there is a pattern to this then you probably need to look at your ISP and whether they are providing a congestion free service to your area
Hi cs123, afaik its FTTN, only the one connection/point in the house after the Telstra tech eliminated the other surplus connections in the house. Thanks for your helpful info mate!!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 23-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in an early rollout area, FTTP maybe 8 years ago, then moved to a new home 5 years ago FTTP.

I had the house wired for 10Gbps.
My Recommendations -

1) Do not rely on Home Wireless, the wireless router will become your bottleneck, Wire up your office and TV spots with at least Cat6A cable and use some good 1Gb switches if needed
2) Spend a bit extra and use a better "modem" than the one provided by your carrier. The Optus/Telstra ones are crud
3) make sure you have a decent tri/quad wifi router. There are some that step through frequencies if there is noise - most houses have wifi in my area, so there is a lot of competition (there is a huge science in choosing a router)
4) If you have to go Wireless, get a dedicated WIFI router for 1 or 2 critical devices, and let the kids devices use a common one
5) maybe you do not need a 100Mb package, someone could do the maths, but I have seen 4xfullHD appear to take less than 8Mb
6) I have had a 3 or 4 outages of 60 mins when I needed to be in conference - I live in a new suburb - plan a way to use a SIM for backup (I threw my Phone Sim in a USB adapter and put it on the router)
7) not all NBN carriers are equal - there is hardware that they need to operate to connect to NBN at "their end". So many "NBN" Issues are really carrier Issues - You need a good carrier - Optus was about the best last I heard - and Telstra was not second. Best to do some current research on this.
8) your carrier will likely bundle a home phone with the package - This will most likely be an IP phone, not suitable for health support monitoring as it will not work when the power is off to the router. You would need UPS on the NBN device AND UPS on your Router for emergency health and security usage - or a Packaged PSTN phone

SpeedTest today, I get 8, 96, 38 - fairly typical of my home, and a great result for a 100/40 connection

Last edited by EgoFG; 23-10-2018 at 10:08 AM.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
I was in an early rollout area, FTTP maybe 8 years ago, then moved to a new home 5 years ago FTTP.

I had the house wired for 10Gbps.
My Recommendations -

1) Do not rely on Home Wireless, the wireless router will become your bottleneck, Wire up your office and TV spots with at least Cat6A cable and use some good 1Gb switches if needed
2) Spend a bit extra and use a better "modem" than the one provided by your carrier. The Optus/Telstra ones are crud
3) make sure you have a decent tri/quad wifi router. There are some that step through frequencies if there is noise - most houses have wifi in my area, so there is a lot of competition (there is a huge science in choosing a router)
4) If you have to go Wireless, get a dedicated WIFI router for 1 or 2 critical devices, and let the kids devices use a common one
5) maybe you do not need a 100Mb package, someone could do the maths, but I have seen 4xfullHD appear to take less than 8Mb
6) I have had a 3 or 4 outages of 60 mins when I needed to be in conference - I live in a new suburb - plan a way to use a SIM for backup (I threw my Phone Sim in a USB adapter and put it on the router)
7) not all NBN carriers are equal - there is hardware that they need to operate to connect to NBN at "their end". So many "NBN" Issues are really carrier Issues - You need a good carrier - Optus was about the best last I heard - and Telstra was not second. Best to do some current research on this.
8) your carrier will likely bundle a home phone with the package - This will most likely be an IP phone, not suitable for health support monitoring as it will not work when the power is off to the router. You would need UPS on the NBN device AND UPS on your Router for emergency health and security usage - or a Packaged PSTN phone

SpeedTest today, I get 8, 96, 38 - fairly typical of my home, and a great result for a 100/40 connection
Thanks heaps for your comprehensive info EgoFG, very very helpful!!

cheers, Maka

Old 23-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

it all depends on your expectations.

I went from adsl2 to nbn about 6 months ago (I believe the majority get FTTN). With ADSL I generally achieved around 7-9 Mb download speed. I didn't want to increase my monthly spend so signed up to the minimum deal, speed wise, which is 12Mb. My speed now on NBN is still averaging around 9Mb, so no worse off, which was my main concern.

I've never been one to crave the biggest or fastest or best etc, so i'm happy with our NBN. seems reliable so far. no drop outs or disconnects or anything (not that there was on ADSL2 either).

so yes, it all depends on what you require from your internet service and your budget.
Old 23-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had ADSL2 before we got NBN FTTN. NBN seems to be somewhere between 2&4 times faster. My measuring device is how quickly does a youtbe download,if the download speed is faster than the playback speed I,m happy. Don,t really know how any faster could be of any benefit.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

previously on ADSL2 at 5kms of copper from the exchange and had appallingly slow connection (2-3 Mbps). Had a nightmare of a time getting onto NBN with Tesltra, but now it is sorted I'm very happy with FTTN and a regular 45-50 Mbps and no dropouts that are noticeable. Even with two teens in the house we can still stream HD easily in the evenings. This is in fairly rural Vic.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is nbn?

Never seen em.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #11
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

you'll be Waaiting A whhhhile eh mate nothing new
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #12
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before NBN at night when I wanted to play Battlefield 4 I created a faraday cage over the modem using foil wrap to stop two teenage daughters from streaming etc. Did create some issues when the other half wanted to use it and queried why the internet was down.

With NBN I can play multiplayer when x 3 others are using it as well, before NBN it was unplayable in that situation.

All I know is that prior NBN with Faraday cage I was getting ping of about 90, when the daughters and wife were on my ping went up over 200- and I was often kicked for having too high a ping.

With NBN I am getting ping of 9 when playing alone, and when others of my household are on and using streaming etc x3, my ping goes up to about 40 etc.

Been told by technicians our NBN is almost directly on a node (whatever that means) and that we should have very fast speeds.

I love NBN- no more Faraday cages and issues with family members with me using by jerry built faraday cages....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went from ADSL2+ to NBN (FTTN) and was one of the first in my suburb and consequently went from around 5Mbps to 23Mbps but even more strangely for some reason over the last 6 months it has gotten faster and now sits on just over 30Mbps. Have also never experienced a single dropout or interruption.
Old 23-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I built a new house in a new suburb 2 years ago and have had nothing but NBN in this house. It's been faultless. Since everything around here is new that's probably why it works well.

I just did the speed test, result are

Ping 4
Download 33.5
Upload 16.7

I remember back in the mid 2000's I had horrible internet and would dream of getting speeds a quarter of what I get now.

Last edited by Ben73; 23-10-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #15
flightstrike

South of River in Perth. Estate is about 10yrs old. I was on ADSL getting about 18mbps.

Been on FTTN NBN 50mbps plan for about 6 months. I’m consistently getting 48/18mbps, 1ms ping. We’ve had some horror periods were It’s been completely unreliable (disconnecting EVERY 10-20 seconds... taking 2+mins to reconnect). ISP changed a few things on their end which seems to have stabilised it all. But I still get a drop out every 10days or so.

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2018, 05:51 AM   #16
Trevor 57
is now there

very happy with NBN, although I hear lots of people complaining about the "NBN", but most times it is the internet provider like Telstra that are ****ing up not the NBN, the amount of people having trouble with Tesltra is incredible.

Isn't speed dictated by the Internet Provider, like Telstra?

We have been on DODO since we went to NBN and after over 2 years absolutely ZERO issues
Old 24-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Our FTTN setup is having bad dropouts atm, having a little chat with Telstra today lol, fingers crossed it can be sorted quick & painlessly.

cheers, Maka

Old 24-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #18
Trevor 57
is now there

see again a Telstra issue, it has me ****ed why people go with them, seriously

When people complain about NBN I ask them who their provider is and without fail it is Telstra - they are hopeless (and one of the most expensive)

Basic DODO package $60 pm - unlimited downlads
Old 24-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #19
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

We've had FTTN for the last 12 months after being ADSL2. Performance has been consistently good (even with Telstra) but we've had the Telstra supplied gateway replaced 3 times after the wireless component failed in each of them. We aren't using those any more.

Mind you, the 'node' is on our boundary fence.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #20
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
We've had NBN fixed wireless for nearly 2 years now.
Gotta say it's excellent, especially compared to the satellite we used to have.
Speeds seem to be between about 45 - 50 all the time and we haven't had a drop out yet.
About 15km away from you. It works, not in the rain though.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #21
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Experience so far ..... I was meant to get FTTP November 2013, just as they started construction that little review of NBN happened when the change of govt happened. 5 years later and NBN have been digging up the neighborhood the past few months finally installing FTTN. So hoping early next year i can answer your question lol
Old 24-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #22
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Telstra switched us over to NBN from ADSL 3 weeks ago. Now 3 weeks without internet...

Sigh.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
see again a Telstra issue, it has me ****ed why people go with them, seriously
Agree. The only reason for going with Telstra is if you are regional or need the wider coverage, i.e. travel a lot etc.

Otherwise they are expensive and the service is terrible.
Old 24-10-2018, 07:08 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

Also, one thing I did many years ago was buy a decent modem/router. Makes a big difference to the reliability of your connection.
Old 24-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #25
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm On a FTTP (one of the last before it went to the node)

It's stable and I mostly get the speed I pay for, my bitch is when the milky bar kid sold it to the nation, it was going to be cheaper than what we were paying for ADSL 2 and what we got for that money with the same limits was not much better than dial up.

To get better speed, than what I had on ADSL 2 with the same data limits im up,for 20% more

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post

To get better speed, than what I had on ADSL 2 with the same data limits im up,for 20% more
This was my exact argument with my isp when they were pestering me to sign up early. It's a bit of a rort really.

What I did in the end was ring and ask for the date my adsl2 would be turned off. They all have this info and have to tell you. At the time it was nearly a year away so I told them I'd wait until I had to change, in the hope that as more people came on board, the prices would come down and the value of the plans would improve. They were adamant it wouldn't change. Fast forward to when I eventually signed up, prices had dropped about $10 and data allowance has doubled.

If you want the speed and are prepared to pay, then nbn is the way to go. If you are on a budget that limits you to the low end plans, and your adsl2 works, then there is little benefit in switching unless you have to.
Old 24-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #27
burnz
VFII SS UTE

FTTP with Telstra, zero issues.
I'm on there slowest speed 50/25 unlimited.
duel stack ip addys,, ip4 at Windsor node 50klm 4ms ping.
ip6 at Coffs harbour node 600klm <0.1ms ping.

NBN has its own UPS supplied by NBN, Telstra router I've linked the power supplie to the NBN UPS..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #28
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My area is on cable and we don't get NBN till next year, bit worried ours will go backward. Just gotta wait and see.
Old 24-10-2018, 09:31 PM   #29
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve just bitten the bullet and will upgrade my ADSL with TPG to NBN. I’m going from 20g/mth to 100g for an extra $10 per month. Fingers crossed it doesn’t suck.
I deliberately waited for them to call me so they could offer no set up fee

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 24-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #30
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

For us Telstra 4G is quicker than our NBN.
The 5G network and its speed, will see the NBN very slow for many.
They should have stayed committed to fiber all the way.

edit add, Perth the 1st to have 5G reported 200 times faster than NBN,
https://www.perthnow.com.au/technolo...ng-b881001124z

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 24-10-2018 at 10:57 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: