Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #181
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I can see an upswing in the underlying trend, also these are 10 year graphs a time scale which will smooth out a lot of the influences affecting sales. A 12 month to 2 year time scale is more appropriate.
I don't see that.

the % and overall numbers are the same...
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #182
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
I don't see that.

the % and overall numbers are the same...
Of coarse we cant see it, we're not looking at it through sportshatch goggles!

Old 27-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #183
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
They not numbers. Mr Burelas numbers!!

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576F0002F9FA3

"Mr Burela conceded that stricter new Euro 4 emissions regulations that come into force in Australia from July 1 played a major role in the demise of the Falcon wagon, which accounted for less than 2500 of the 31,000 Falcon’s Ford sold in 2009."

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...ls-wagon-18779

"Burela stated that Ford had been building around 200 wagons per month. He said removing complexity from the Broadmeadows line would help Ford increase its production capacity for ute, sedan and Territory."

Actually ford sell roughly double that. Fords own figures show they sold 4610 Falcon wagons in 2009. I have no idea why Burela stated 2500...
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #184
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Whats the wagon have that a SUV like the Territory doesn't? I'd imagine there would still be decent load space in the Territory.
Cheaper purchase cost!
Easier to carry the spare wheel after LPG conversion.
Ball joints won't fail, leaving the car hanging on the ground.
Lighter weight, less fuel consumption.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #185
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Actually ford sell roughly double that. Fords own figures show they sold 4610 Falcon wagons in 2009. I have no idea why Burela stated 2500...
Are those figures available from somewhere?
I'd heard Falcon wagon had been selling at 400/month in 2008
but dropped away severely in the second half of 2009.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #186
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Are those figures available from somewhere?
I'd heard Falcon wagon had been selling at 400/month in 2008
but dropped away severely in the second half of 2009.

The sales figures for 2009 in the Technical Resources section
Old 27-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #187
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As it turns out, an FG wagon has been made, I doubt it will be put into production, though :

http://www.cmfairlane.co.uk/explore.htm
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #188
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The sales figures for 2009 in the Technical Resources section
I cannot see anywhere in there where Russell has separated the station wagon figures from sedan.
Everything else gets mentioned but not the wagon...
Sifting through pages and pages of graphs and charts, fruitless
Old 27-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #189
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I cannot see anywhere in there where Russell has separated the station wagon figures from sedan.
Everything else gets mentioned but not the wagon...
Sifting through pages and pages of graphs and charts, fruitless
Sorry for stuffing you around jdp80, the graph was actually in a thread I found after looking in the Technical Resources and I had assumed it was a graph made by russellw, my mistake. The thread used the graph from the following article:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576C4001687FD

Shows Falcon wagon at 4610 sales.
Old 27-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #190
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry for stuffing you around jdp80, the graph was actually in a thread I found after looking in the Technical Resources and I had assumed it was a graph made by russellw, my mistake. The thread used the graph from the following article:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576C4001687FD

Shows Falcon wagon at 4610 sales.
Ah yes, thank you very much.

I'm wondering whether Ford sold 4,610 Falcons but only made 2,500 last year,
perhaps Marin was talking production and some 2008 stock was in the 2009 sales as well?

Apart from that I got nothing...:
Old 27-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #191
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah yes, thank you very much.

I'm wondering whether Ford sold 4,610 Falcons but only made 2,500 last year,
perhaps Marin was talking production and some 2008 stock was in the 2009 sales as well?

Apart from that I got nothing...:
I thought that too, but then I would think the Falcon wagon is basically built to order, I dont even think that dealers keep them on stock for test drives and I find it hard to believe that half would of been lying around. Plus earlier in the thread a person who works for a component supplier says that they supply components for almost double the figure Burela said. Maybe Burela was talking about petrol Falcon wagons, or maybe caradvice just misheard him.
Old 27-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #192
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought that too, but then I would think the Falcon wagon is basically built to order, I dont even think that dealers keep them on stock for test drives and I find it hard to believe that half would of been lying around. Plus earlier in the thread a person who works for a component supplier says that they supply components for almost double the figure Burela said. Maybe Burela was talking about petrol Falcon wagons, or maybe caradvice just misheard him.
Yes, caradvice were talking about the petrol station wagon ceasing production in June
but the E-gas wagon will stay until the problem with LI LPG is sorted later this year.
The line becomes less complicated with removal of BF petrol engine but E-gas is shared with FG sedan.

Burela gets a bit rubbery with figures predicting 10-15% increase without the Wagon,
yet they will still build the petrol wagon until June and E-gas until later this year.

I wonder if Mondeo diesel wagon will be considered by fleets or just ignored....
Old 27-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #193
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Whats people's guess on how long the e-gas model will be built then???
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.

Last edited by janddbone; 27-03-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typo...
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #194
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_br_johnstone
Whats people's guess on how long the e-gas model will be built then???
A little bird mentioned end of September.
Old 27-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #195
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
The line becomes less complicated with removal of BF petrol engine but E-gas is shared with FG sedan.
Not really. The Orion E Gas engine is basically a BFIII E Gas engine with the FG engine mounts and heater pipe. There is bugger all difference. Its closer to a BF petrol engine than an FG petrol engine.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 12:39 AM   #196
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
A little bird mentioned end of September.
Until the LILPG engine arrives, John.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #197
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Until the LILPG engine arrives, John.
Goauto seem to know it's October so
Ford have obviously let the word out:

Quote:
Ford said it will satisfy its remaining orders for the Falcon wagon – predominantly from fleet buyers including Telstra – and believes the introduction of a diesel version of the current MB Mondeo wagon will fulfill the needs of fleet buyers from the third quarter of 2010.
--------------------------------------------------------
Ford Australia has committed to releasing further fleet-friendly models within the next 12 month, including the next-generation liquid LPG injection Falcon LPI in October, plus the 2011 Territory diesel and Falcon four-cylinder, which could arrive as early as the first quarter of next year.
Link to goauto
Old 28-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #198
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why does the E-gas not have to comply with Euro IV on the 01.07.10 & allowed to be built until Sep?

Last edited by Joe5619; 28-03-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #199
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Why does the E-gas not have to comply with Euro V on the 01.07.10 & allowed to be built until Sep?
Ford have been granted an extension until LiLPG is available.
Old 28-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #200
FPV70

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
As it turns out, an FG wagon has been made, I doubt it will be put into production, though :

Well thats interesting. Someone imported them into U.K, then transformed the G6E into a Hearse and a Stretch Limo and labelled it a Fairlane?
Old 28-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #201
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV70
Well thats interesting. Someone imported them into U.K, then transformed the G6E into a Hearse and a Stretch Limo and labelled it a Fairlane?

There is no such thing as an FG Wagon, there never was apart from a couple of drawings.

Those monstrocities are a Sedan that has been either stretched or hand build into a hearse.

Ford ship sedans to the Uk so that Coleman Milne can service the Funeral Industry.

VERY small numbers !!!!
Old 28-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #202
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I wonder if Mondeo diesel wagon will be considered by fleets or just ignored....
I know Siemens has changed from the Falcon Wagon to the Mondeo Wagon for their service guys. Not sure if it'll be petrol or diesel.
Old 29-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #203
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...n-nissan-18812

Quote:
Can't phone a friend? No lifelines left for Falcon wagon...
Those of us expecting outrage and uproar over the news that the Falcon wagon would cease production from May/June were sorely disappointed. After all the kerfuffle back in January when over-the-top reporting was the order of the day -- thanks to 'misconstrued' remarks by Ford's global boss, Alan Mulally -- the Falcon wagon's demise was greeted with subdued and sober reporting by the local press.

That may have been due to the broader community's lack of emotional investment in aging goods-carrying vehicles with leaf-sprung live axles and four-speed autos -- or perhaps commonsense had reared its ugly head in the aftermath of the Detroit pogrom. Perhaps Ford even managed the announcement in a way that left little room for sensationalism this time around.

We're told by a Ford insider that the media's 'ho-hum' response was mirrored within the company itself. It's no secret that Ford expected the Falcon wagon to be canned after the introduction of the Territory SUV, back in 2004 -- something our contributor Joshua Dowling touched on in his article the other day.

Loyal fleet buyers had supported the Falcon wagon in the marketplace though and while Ford could continue building the car, forced to spend little on updates, it made financial sense to do so.

But according to our source, the BF III Falcon's time was up, not just because impending Euro IV emissions legislation could not be met without spending an unfeasible amount of engineering dollars on the wagon, but for other reasons too.

Even as a fleet hack, the wagon was no longer an appropriate choice for buyers increasingly concerned with occupational health and safety issues, for example. Many, if not most of the wagons sold were 'e-Gas' variants, which meant no stability control. The wagons also lacked head-protecting side-curtain airbags as well.

But one of the features the wagon lacked that proved insurmountable to some fleet buyers was, believe it or not, Bluetooth. Fleet buyers are increasingly demanding the mobile phone technology be incorporated as a feature in the cars their reps are driving -- and it would have required significant and costly engineering changes to the GSM-era wagon.

And since Telstra has reportedly been a large-scale buyer of the Falcon wagon in the past, we think we can guess who at least one of those fleet buyers would have been.

Production of the wagon has hovered around 200 units a month in recent times, which was worthwhile in the dark days of the GFC, but Ford has been working overtime on Saturdays to pump out more profitable Territorys and FG Falcons. An extra 200 units of those two models will also change the mix of private to fleet buyers for Ford as well -- slightly at least.

Without any aspirational variants, such as an XR6, an RTV/Outback pack or something else again, the wagon was not contributing to Ford's improving brand image and it was presenting a stark contrast to the private-buyer appeal of Holden's Sportwagon.

So the Falcon wagon will be missed by few and Ford can almost certainly convince those few to take a ute with a canopy or a Territory instead. Perhaps sales staff could even point them in the direction of the Mondeo wagon -- although former Falcon wagon buyers may need a little more guidance to test-drive a Mondeo than just having the sales staff handing over the keys and telling the buyer 'off you go'.
I was under the impression that a factory Bluetooth kit was available for the B-series cars...still doesn't help the rather insurmountable curtain airbags argument though.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #204
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58

It is ironic that in the Falcon wagon's death throe's that a mortician comes up with a FG long wheel base derivative.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #205
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
There is no such thing as an FG Wagon, there never was apart from a couple of drawings.

Those monstrocities are a Sedan that has been either stretched or hand build into a hearse.

Ford ship sedans to the Uk so that Coleman Milne can service the Funeral Industry.

VERY small numbers !!!!
It is good to know that when they bury you in the UK after years of having to drive FWD's as there is few RWD's to purchase, that they transport you to the plot in a RWD G6.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #206
bystander31
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...n-nissan-18812

I was under the impression that a factory Bluetooth kit was available for the B-series cars...still doesn't help the rather insurmountable curtain airbags argument though.
I bought one from spare parts for about 250 bucks. Not sure why they are banging on about bluetooth because its not an issue with B-series cars.
bystander31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #207
FPV70

Quote:

VERY small numbers !!!!

I don't recall saying they were wagons.

I did however say they were G6e's built into hearses and Limos but not once did I (ME) say they were wagons.

But thanks for quoting me :
Old 29-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #208
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander31
I bought one from spare parts for about 250 bucks. Not sure why they are banging on about bluetooth because its not an issue with B-series cars.
and DSC was made standard with e-gas gaining it from May 2009 as well...bad reporting.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #209
c.r.collings
Starter Motor

Default wagon train

i have just done a 3 week surfing road trip through new zealand and i had a look at the mondeo wagons there, and i was not impressed, the second hand prices for a mondeo where cheap as and there was not that many, and they all looked beat up for their age, i have a ba wagon and i bought it for a reason, strong body/chassis/engine, heaps of space, rear wheel drive, and a big lazy 6 on lpg, plus the ride is limo, i think ford is making a big mistake here, why not just update like holden, australians love there big wagons for their family and holiday traveling, i do a trips to exmouth surfing and i can safely say the falcon sedans and wagons are king of the country roads, you only see the holdens when entering the towns.
the weekend newspapers confirmed the falcon wagon is finished, get with it henry update the wagons and we will buy. : : :
c.r.collings is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #210
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.r.collings
australians love there big wagons for their family and holiday traveling
Not anymore they don't, SUV's and soft 4x4 vehicles are the weapon of choice for families. Hence (one of) the reason for the Falcon wagon's demise. Even if they spent $200 million developing a new FG wagon, they would probably only sell 600-1000 per month which simply isnt enough numbers to warrant spending that sort of money.

They're better off consolidating their money into their 3 key platforms (sedan, ute, Territory) which coincidentally that is what they are doing.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post