Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #31
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Holden Culls 30 Dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1112 View Post
Perhaps like GM in Europe they will sell off the Holden name and brand to another car company once/if it goes down hill after the Commodore is gone, they will see it as a good way to boost their local sales, perhaps PSA would buy it too and just sell their new rebadged Vauxhall's as Holden here. Maybe a chinese car company would take on the badge, would people buy a great wall if it had a Holden Badge on it??? Not knowing that is was a chinese car.
Of course they would . Just look at Daewoo Kalos sales before and after the lame lion badge was attached to it. If Kia Australia had a brain, they'd put a bid to GM on the lame lion logo, and sell all their premium models like the Stinger under that badge. The one eyed holden brigade wouldn't know the difference and would still swear black and blue their Holdens are made in Australian.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #32
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In a few years time some one will say the word Falcon and all the under 40,s will ask, what is that.Some one older will stand up and say that the Falcon used to be made in Aust but is now regarded as an outdated fuel guzzling,heavy, old third world type car
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #33
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
In a few years time some one will say the word Falcon and all the under 40,s will ask, what is that.Some one older will stand up and say that the Falcon used to be made in Aust but is now regarded as an outdated fuel guzzling,heavy, old third world type car
Its almost like that now. Haven't heard anyone genuinely talk about Falcon for a good 5 years apart from a couple of country types.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #34
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
In my street of 30 houses I'm the only one with a Holden or Ford
my street has 4 falcons... three of them utes (including mine)
Old 20-06-2017, 12:00 AM   #35
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

I've never bought a Holden.. so how many Holden Dealers there are doesn't directly concern me !

Sadly (for me), Ford stopped making the Fairlane in 2008 and the Falcon Wagon in 2010... so even how many Ford Dealers there are hasn't directly concerned me for many years either !

It is slightly sobering though... as it just brings back into focus the ramifications of the loss of our Aussie car industry ! This also includes Toyota with the Camry/Aurion twins... and yet, more Aussies buy Tojo's than anything else... and have done for a long while now... even though most of them are imported !

I believe, with the sale of Opel to PSA... the new Commodore has become completely irrelevant as a "Holden" ! If it was still a GM product, then it might have retained some relevance... but not now ! With the loss of that (& the other Opel based product) from the "GM" range... the "Holden" branding will probably die a slow death too !??

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #36
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
I've never bought a Holden.. so how many Holden Dealers there are doesn't directly concern me !

Sadly (for me), Ford stopped making the Fairlane in 2008 and the Falcon Wagon in 2010... so even how many Ford Dealers there are hasn't directly concerned me for many years either !

It is slightly sobering though... as it just brings back into focus the ramifications of the loss of our Aussie car industry ! This also includes Toyota with the Camry/Aurion twins... and yet, more Aussies buy Tojo's than anything else... and have done for a long while now... even though most of them are imported !

I believe, with the sale of Opel to PSA... the new Commodore has become completely irrelevant as a "Holden" ! If it was still a GM product, then it might have retained some relevance... but not now ! With the loss of that (& the other Opel based product) from the "GM" range... the "Holden" branding will probably die a slow death too !??

D
As long as GM sells as one of their names in Aus, then ok.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #37
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
my street has 4 falcons... three of them utes (including mine)
I've been thinking about the "olden" days.

I was 17 when I got my first car (1967).

In those days there was a wide range of vehicles available but Holden and Ford ruled the roost. They were everywhere!

Not everyone in our street had a car but those I remember are:- Hillman Imp, FB x 2, FC, XL, HD x 2, Toyota Tiara?, EJ, Morris Minor, Humber, EK, plus a couple of others whose makes I can't recall.

The big event was 12 months later when the guy up the road bought a 186S Monaro. Very different shape + white interior!

The whole street was up there admiring it.

Sunday was car cleaning day. Just about everyone was out washing and polishing their pride and joy.

Simple times...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #38
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
..wash your mouth out with soap , even if it's true...perish the thought..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #39
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
I think that's right. However I think that Ford's stocks will also continue to diminish.

Of my 4 kids + spouses (9 cars) there is one Holden or Ford (VF SS).

In my street of 30 houses I'm the only one with a Holden or Ford (1 Holden, 2 Fords).

Twice a week I walk up to our local school to pick up my grandkids. Not a Holden or Ford to be seen in the parking area or pick up line.

Sadly, most peeps have moved on...
Not a Ford or Holden, or not a Falcon or Commodore? On the very odd occasion when I pick my kids up from school there's only a handful of Falcons and Commodores. There's plenty of Fords and Holdens, though.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #40
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Not a Ford or Holden, or not a Falcon or Commodore? On the very odd occasion when I pick my kids up from school there's only a handful of Falcons and Commodores. There's plenty of Fords and Holdens, though.
It's a smallish primary school (<500 kids) and I have to walk past the cars parked on the road and then past the pick up bay and through the carpark.

There used to be a Territory and a Colorado parked on the road and a BF parked in the carpark.

Haven't seen any of them for a while.

I'll take special note next Monday as it's possible I've overlooked one of the Holden or Ford makes but I don't think so.

90% small cars and suvs.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #41
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Its almost like that now. Haven't heard anyone genuinely talk about Falcon for a good 5 years apart from a couple of country types.
With hindsight, maybe the Falcon Forums wasn't such a great idea, when they started up a few years ago.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #42
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Any more cuts added to this list?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #43
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm old enough to recall GM Jacksons as only selling Ford vehicles and Motors only selling Holdens . Reeman and Manning sold Chrysler then Mitsubishi , Von Bibra sold Nissan and Toyota and Mazda sold a decent range of their own products . This is in a city (Launceston ) that would have been less than 80,000 people in the mid to late 1970's . Saturday Examiner paper featured all the major car dealerships with full page ads while the numerous smaller car yards ran decent car listings.

Nowadays you'll see a bit on a Friday newspaper , a motoring section in the Saturday paper with a few ads and that's about all . The Online services are now the key way to look for your next steed . Fair enough I suppose but it was nice to go to the local newsagents on a Saturday morning for the local rag to mull over what was available in the various yards .

On the Ford perspective Jackson Motor Company as it's now called sell the following Ford , Audi , Isuzu , Kia, Mitsubishi , Subaru, Suzuki, VW and VW Commercial . No wonder that when I rang spare parts about Christmas time to get some prices on a FG alloy wheel the young bloke had a hard time even understanding it was a Ford Falcon . Half expected him to say "What's a Falcon "..

Times have certainly changed in the past 3-4 decades that's for sure .
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #44
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
It’s sad, as the Falcon was a stark reminder of a simpler time and a simpler place we all long for. The old Australia craps all over the new Australia, and I don’t even want to think of the future Australia. This globalist garbage has sold Australia out and made sure we are force fed junk from third world countries. Tell me now which cars are the third world type car...
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #45
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
It’s sad, as the Falcon was a stark reminder of a simpler time and a simpler place we all long for. The old Australia craps all over the new Australia, and I don’t even want to think of the future Australia. This globalist garbage has sold Australia out and made sure we are force fed junk from third world countries. Tell me now which cars are the third world type car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100
Yet there is no such backlash against the Mustang, despite it being less practical than the Falcon?
Ford17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #46
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
It’s sad, as the Falcon was a stark reminder of a simpler time and a simpler place we all long for. The old Australia craps all over the new Australia,
Don't talk on my behalf, thanks!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #47
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Spoken in Dukes of hazard style...

Well, I don't know what them Holden boys are gonna do now, but it looks like they just run out of turds to polish.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #48
JIm260
2004 XR8

In my town there are still lots of Holdens and Fords, the next town over lost its Holden dealer, I thought it would go as its the smallest dealership I have ever seen, they also sold tractors.......

Cheers
Jim
JIm260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #49
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Go and compare metrics like income to house price, government debt per person, quality of living measured in resources or space per person, egalitarian structure of society - the old Australia wins hands down.

We all have more stuff (and personal debt) in the new Australia now. And opportunity to travel the world, and occupations exist now that are far more esoteric. So there's that.

No more Aussie designed and built cars. Only G20 nation that doesn't, so future looks more 3rd world and past looks more 1st world.
Old 23-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #50
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Go and compare metrics like income to house price, government debt per person, quality of living measured in resources or space per person, egalitarian structure of society - the old Australia wins hands down.

We all have more stuff (and personal debt) in the new Australia now. And opportunity to travel the world, and occupations exist now that are far more esoteric. So there's that.

No more Aussie designed and built cars. Only G20 nation that doesn't, so future looks more 3rd world and past looks more 1st world.
I yearn for the old Australia even if it means people start calling me a bloody wog again.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #51
robertjp

"Not the Kingswood!"
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #52
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think that's right. However I think that Ford's stocks will also continue to diminish.

Of my 4 kids + spouses (9 cars) there is one Holden or Ford (VF SS).

In my street of 30 houses I'm the only one with a Holden or Ford (1 Holden, 2 Fords).

Twice a week I walk up to our local school to pick up my grandkids. Not a Holden or Ford to be seen in the parking area or pick up line.

Sadly, most peeps have moved on...
Shiet, how many spouses do you have?!

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 24-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #53
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjp View Post
"Not the Kingswood!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVmzLCfN8LA

Those were the days ....Try being a bit non politically correct now and see who whines and whinges . I think we all knew a Ted Bullpitt ..
Old 24-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #54
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Holden Culls 30 Dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjp View Post
"Not the Kingswood!"
The Opel? You're not taking the Opel! Im just taking it to be recalled."
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #55
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must live in a very backward part of Oz.
Plenty of late model Commodores, Falcons and Territories in the supermarket carparks, with a lot of well looked after 15 -20 year old versions.
And on the weekend, the 'old' chrome bumper cars come out.
I thought I saw a Opel Commodore in my rear view mirror yesterday, but when I let it pass me it was an Astra sedan. Moment of wonder gone.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #56
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The one eyed holden brigade wouldn't know the difference and would still swear black and blue their Holdens are made in Australian.
The one eyed Holden brigade are not that stupid. They know the difference between Oz made and imported. That is why there are huge back orders and waiting lists for the new Opeldore ...... not.

The general car/appliance shopping brigade don't know, or care where their cars are made. You may also be very surprised how many sales persons / customer consultants don't know where their product is made.
Two Kia salespersons tried to convince me that a 2015 Kia Sportage was made in South Korea. Just like all BMWs and Mercs are made in Germany.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #57
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
The one eyed Holden brigade are not that stupid. They know the difference between Oz made and imported. That is why there are huge back orders and waiting lists for the new Opeldore ...... not.

The general car/appliance shopping brigade don't know, or care where their cars are made. You may also be very surprised how many sales persons / customer consultants don't know where their product is made.
Two Kia salespersons tried to convince me that a 2015 Kia Sportage was made in South Korea. Just like all BMWs and Mercs are made in Germany.
Oh yeah ...spot on . Just about Christmas time I was investigating the possibility of buying a brand new alloy for my 2008 FG XR6 and I rang the local Ford dealership . I was dismayed to finally find out a price after a lot of effort but I was equally dismayed to see how much these people didn't know about my car . It wasn't until a much more experienced and older person in Spare Parts took over on my request that i got some answers . $1035 and a wait for an unspecified period dissuaded me going much further and after about 20 minutes of frustration .
Old 24-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #58
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WARNING : Viewer discretion advised .

Ensure you have eaten well beforehand if watching this video.

Otherwise it'll result in a technicolour yawn regurgitating your meal after watching this bloke dishing out this spin .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03o1W-Sln9c

They won't need to cull dealerships , they'll be jumping ship before then on the back of this crap.

Apologies to all especially real Commodore fans.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #59
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
WARNING : Viewer discretion advised .

Ensure you have eaten well beforehand if watching this video.

Otherwise it'll result in a technicolour yawn regurgitating your meal after watching this bloke dishing out this spin .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03o1W-Sln9c

They won't need to cull dealerships , they'll be jumping ship before then on the back of this crap.

Apologies to all especially real Commodore fans.

Ha ha if Nando thinks a performance model is 235kw maybe he should go back to selling Peri Peri Chicken.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #60
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Shiet, how many spouses do you have?!
Was about to ask the same thing