Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 22-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
AAXR8

Question Need tips and help for a beginner going down the straight for the first few times!

I need to ask a serious question! I am 30 & I want to see how good my XR8 goes down the straight in Victoria some where, HONESTLY I have watched it but never done it before!! And wouldn't know the first thing about going down the straight! So please be Nice.I have read a few threads and thanks guys for the advice so if you see this question I am just after every one's tips so I have a little experience! So what are the best size rims and tyres to use for a BA XR8? And tracks where do you go? & where would be a good track for a beginner to get the hang of things. and how long do you do you spin the tyres for traction?? You know what I mean! I know how to drive but just never done an official drag! Do you need a special license? Or any training? Is the plain car Vic Roads license fine? If you read the details about my XR8 its got some good aftermarket upgrades on it!! My car & has a High Performance tune. Car goes well so, Please any tips I really would appreciate, Cheers

, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 
Default Re: Need tips and help for a beginner going down the straight for the first few times!

http://www.calderpark.com.au/
http://heathcoteraceway.com.au/

Which ever is closest. Get down and see how she goes!

You need an catch can or bottle for your radiator overflow.
Standard drivers license, a helmet and long sleeve top and long pants.
When your car goes through scrutineering to check for fluid leaks ect tell them it's your first time. They will talk you through it, very easy.

The hard part is running a time as good as you think your car is!
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
AAXR8

Thumbs up Re: Need tips and help for a beginner going down the straight for the first few times!

Thankyou! Do you need Fire Retardant Pants and shirt? What are the two straights like? Your opinion what is the better track? I used to go to Heathcote as a kid & I saw a Youtube video and Heathcote looked like the Straight was nearly a New Surface? How often do they do meetings at both? Does Calder Park do it every Friday night still? When you go there can you just do a few test runs or do you race in a class that suits?So you have to run your overflow pipe in to the catch. My main question is how do you know when your tyres are ready? And should I get a special sort? Thanks again!
Cheers
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

Old 23-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
AAXR8

Question Re: Need tips and help for a beginner going down the straight for the first few times!

Is there any body else that can help me with answers to Size rims that go well? tyres for the drag strip and most of all when I do the burn out at the start how do I know when the Tyres have enough heat for traction?
!!
247 RWKW

Old 23-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 
Default Re: Need tips and help for a beginner going down the straight for the first few times!

Suck it and see mate. Just like taking off fast at the lights in street car. You may not need to do a burnout if it hooks up. Generally if you can see plenty of smoke the tyres are hot enough.
Normal clothing is fine for a street meet but if you feel better in a racesuit go buy one!
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Use Mickey Thompson et streets 275/40/17 on BA or bf xr6 rims, just do a skid till you start seeing smoke pouring, maybe 3 to 4 seconds, change your side mirror downwards so you can see the smoke
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Do a check on helmet requirements other than that long pants and shirt I raced my stock XR8 BF in july tried traction on and off and shifting manually and automatically ended up with a best of 13.8 and that was leaving the line at just over idle with traction control off and in drive, I ran on stock 245 18s did a bit of a burnout in the water but didn't really have traction problems like I did on the road WSID was pretty sticky

https://www.facebook.com/DragRacingT...2067110055900/

http://www.cacklingpipes.com/100825_...250810_025.JPG

XA coupe naturally, aspirated Cleveland, full exhaust, 98 oct pump gas, drag radials, Manual trans, 10.664 132 mph

The faster youve gone the worse your attitude
Rural 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
AAXR8

Thumbs up Re: Need tips and help for a beginner going down the straight for the first few times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Suck it and see mate. Just like taking off fast at the lights in street car. You may not need to do a burnout if it hooks up. Generally if you can see plenty of smoke the tyres are hot enough.

Normal clothing is fine for a street meet but if you feel better in a racesuit go buy one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black F6
Use Mickey Thompson et streets 275/40/17 on BA or bf xr6 rims, just do a skid till you start seeing smoke pouring, maybe 3 to 4 seconds, change your side mirror downwards so you can see the smoke
Thanks Guys your Legends! That was the main thing I was worried about!
I have 20's on now! Just curious is it better to have bigger on the back?
Like a 18 front 20 Rear or is that stupid?I will look in to the 17" Mickeys for sure! Do you know roughly wait they are worth? Thanks again!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 23-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
AAXR8

Question Re: Need tips and help for a beginner going down the straight for the first few times!

Ohh where isn't so busy, Calder or Heathcote? Do they open the Strip all day & night for both Tracks or only during the day? And can you test during the week? And do you become a member of that track and do I pay money for each run or all day? Cheers guys for the help!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 24-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAXR8 View Post
Ohh where isn't so busy, Calder or Heathcote? Do they open the Strip all day & night for both Tracks or only during the day? And can you test during the week? And do you become a member of that track and do I pay money for each run or all day? Cheers guys for the help!
Calder is very busy, lucky to get 4 runs, check the websites for track times and days, you just pay as you race, not sure how much it is down there, WSID is $55

Calder is also a much better track
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
nelsonian101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks Guys your Legends! That was the main thing I was worried about!
I have 20's on now! Just curious is it better to have bigger on the back?
Like a 18 front 20 Rear or is that stupid?I will look in to the 17" Mickeys for sure! Do you know roughly wait they are worth? Thanks again!
You definitely don't want 20's on the back. As suggested 17's are a good starting point. 275 40 17" tyre at around 20psi.

You want a high profile so the tyre can squat down when loading the drivetrain prior to launch. This is very important.
Keep the high, soft rear springs/shocks in too. Another trick is disconnecting the right front sway bar link.

I used the Toyo TQ drag radials recently at the Nulon nationals last weekend, and they hooked up quite well.

350,000kms+

Road registered Lap record holder at Wakefield for any Ford or 2wd 4 door, of any make.....ever!!

Wakefield 1.07.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Marulan 43.4 Winton 1.35.4
nelsonian101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #12
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where are you from mate? Maybe a regional 1/8th mile track would
be a good place to start? Lots more runs for your dollar and plenty of
people that could help you out
Old 25-09-2014, 04:30 AM   #13
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black F6
Calder is very busy, lucky to get 4 runs, check the websites for track times and days, you just pay as you race, not sure how much it is down there, WSID is $55
Calder is also a much better track
I checked in to Heathcote just then and its $60 for Driver & Car + $20 per person. Where is WSID??
Calder I is $65 + $25 per person. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonian101
You definitely don't want 20's on the back. As suggested 17's are a good starting point. 275 40 17" tyre at around 20psi.

You want a high profile so the tyre can squat down when loading the drivetrain prior to launch. This is very important.
Keep the high, soft rear springs/shocks in too. Another trick is disconnecting the right front sway bar link.

Thanks, Did you mean keep the standard standard Rear suspension because the car has ben fitted with Pedders XA Adjustable Coilovers all around. So if I set the rear to super soft and the fronts to firm I should be ok? Do I still run the front psi firm or 20 also?

I used the Toyo TQ drag radials recently at the Nulon nationals last weekend, and they hooked up quite well.
Cool, How did you go?

I live 2 hours from Melb and Heathcote so traveling time is the same.
But cheers guys!
Anyone know of a good priced set of BA-BF XR 17's rims and tyres for sale?
Or can i use FG Rims also?
Cheers
!!
247 RWKW

Old 25-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
nelsonian101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cool, How did you go?

Cheers
No. 1

https://www.facebook.com/nulonnation...type=1&theater

350,000kms+

Road registered Lap record holder at Wakefield for any Ford or 2wd 4 door, of any make.....ever!!

Wakefield 1.07.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Marulan 43.4 Winton 1.35.4
nelsonian101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
Mardk
Low life

Have you had a run yet?
244.6rwkw
Mardk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #16
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardk View Post
Have you had a run yet?
Hi, Na I had a few minor paint problems that needing fixing!! Started off with a ****HOUSE Detailer who damaged the car & its taken this long to sort that out and I looked the other day and now the resprayers done damage as well!
So its getting fix first because every one has an excuse when you show them damage to a car that they swear they haven't damaged!! So hopefully soon but all the info the better!!!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 03-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #17
blbarclay
Starter Motor

Best way to learn is to get out and have a go. You'll be hooked once you do.
blbarclay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post