Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Beware of Paypal

1. Added a few items to my cart on eBay and paid for it on the 15th.

2. Checked my credit card history straight after, and found the most expensive item was charged twice. Rang paypal & was told theres nothing they can do about it because my paypal history only shows one payment for that transaction.

3. Lodged a formal dispute through paypal website, and am told via email theres no problem

4. Lodged a formal dispute with the bank, but am told it could take a couple months, and only after they see what paypal says. Im not holding my breath on this one.

Moral of the story is, if you insist on using paypal, check EVERYTHING though your bank, even if its a week after your transaction. And better yet, like me, dont use paypal anymore because if they can run a scam like this and wipe their hands clean, they cant be trusted.
falcon_bandit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Beware of Paypal

So your invoice doesn't match the amount charged?

A chargeback via your bank should be pretty straightforward. I've had funds returned for double-billing within a day. I wouldn't even have contacted Paypal, they're notorious for not giving a flap.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Also be careful of allowing people to pay you money via Paypal.

Insist for a direct deposit to your bank account instead!

After they take out their fees, you won't get all the money you expected.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #4
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
So your invoice doesn't match the amount charged?

did the regular checkout through ebay on the 15th june with multiple items and noticed it charged me twice in my bank's history with a particular item, yet only one instance on paypal's history.

3 days later, they worded the 2 transactions slightly different and changed the date of one of them to the 18th and the other stayed as charged on the 15th, but still both the exact same amount

never happened before, and just letting people know this stuff does happen and after some researching im not the only one.
Old 21-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use Paypal at least half a dozen times every month and have never had an issue after more than 8 years but I suppose it can happen. I always have a credit card that is debited via Paypal so even if I do get scammed I have two options for getting my money back, either the card supplier or Paypal.

Also I use this card as there is no annual fee, no currency conversion fee and no foreign transaction fees.

https://www.28degreescard.com.au/

A few years ago I booked some accommodation in Darwin that got rerouted through a company in Spain without me knowing, within 24 hours the company went bust. I rang my Credit card issuer and within about 2 minutes they had recredited my account the amount which was just under $2k.
Old 21-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post

A few years ago I booked some accommodation in Darwin that got rerouted through a company in Spain without me knowing, within 24 hours the company went bust. I rang my Credit card issuer and within about 2 minutes they had recredited my account the amount which was just under $2k.
Looks good! My valve got brutally pumped by all the banks and 3rd parties when converting currencies and taking $$ out of ATMs across Europe.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Also I use this card as there is no annual fee, no currency conversion fee and no foreign transaction fees.

Thats the old GE Finance, whats their interest rate?
Old 21-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I've been using paypal for almost ten years and never had an issue with them. Hundreds, maybe thousands of transactions without any problems. I guess it can happen but I don't think it's very common.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
1. Added a few items to my cart on eBay and paid for it on the 15th.

2. Checked my credit card history straight after, and found the most expensive item was charged twice. Rang paypal & was told theres nothing they can do about it because my paypal history only shows one payment for that transaction.

3. Lodged a formal dispute through paypal website, and am told via email theres no problem

4. Lodged a formal dispute with the bank, but am told it could take a couple months, and only after they see what paypal says. Im not holding my breath on this one.

Moral of the story is, if you insist on using paypal, check EVERYTHING though your bank, even if its a week after your transaction. And better yet, like me, dont use paypal anymore because if they can run a scam like this and wipe their hands clean, they cant be trusted.
So just to confirm you selected a few items on Ebay, and paid with one Paypal transaction? or were there separate paypal transactions?

You should be able to compare your bank and paypal statements, if there's a mismatch you need to take it up with your bank to get an explanation.

Paypal are not in the business of running scams, there's too much at stake millions of people use them every day as a secure internet transaction.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #10
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes paid for multiple items in ebay checkout at once. Credit card history came up with individual charges for each item, but shared same reference number. One of the items was charged twice
Old 21-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #11
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you give the bank a copy of the invoice, your paypal transaction history and the card statement? Have you received the items yet? Items not received is another reason to be able to dispute.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #12
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[Moral of the story is, if you insist on using paypal, check EVERYTHING though your bank, even if its a week after your transaction. And better yet, like me, dont use paypal anymore because if they can run a scam like this and wipe their hands clean, they cant be trusted.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain. My Paypal account was used without my consent to the tune of $180. There was some mix up apparently & I was unaware until I noticed the difference in my bank account. It took 9 weeks for the money to be refunded and I never got an acknowledgment of what happened or an apology, just that the account was going to be credited. Then there is the waiting time to 'get out' of the ebay & paypal accounts which I found out when I tried to close both accounts in disgust.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #13
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
https://www.28degreescard.com.au/card-details

couldn't find the rate or establishment fee.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post

If it's GE it probably wont be cheap
Old 22-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #15
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I've been using paypal for almost ten years and never had an issue with them. Hundreds, maybe thousands of transactions without any problems. I guess it can happen but I don't think it's very common.

Ive never been fiddled by a priest before either.
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #16
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Charge magically disappeared from my banking history today. No word from the bank or paypal. Again, check your charges people.....
Old 22-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #17
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit
Charge magically disappeared from my banking history today. No word from the bank or paypal. Again, check your charges people.....
I bet this is an issue with your bank not PayPal. I had a similar thing happen to me recently. I was in New Zealand, went to a supermarket, bought a bunch of stuff, and just before leaving the shopping centre noticed I had been charged for an item twice. Went back, got my refund, all good. A few days later going over my transaction history I notice something strange - every transaction I made that day appeared on my transaction history about 5 or 6 times, plus a few times in the negative. Really weird - and I'm not sure if it was related to the refund I got but every other day's transactions were normal. But after I calculated every transaction for the period the balance was correct, so all the entries were just a bit of a wig-out and I was never actually charged for anything I shouldn't have been. And I'm sure a similar thing has happened before but once the actual statement is generated all is well.

Quote:

This is the card I was using in NZ. I've had one of these for over 10 years, pretty much never use it in Aus and have it for travelling only. The amount of money it saves when overseas is huge. They give you a great conversion rate on top of the no conversion fee, it's a must for anyone who travels a bit. Citibank have an account as well that charges no conversion fees, just an everyday account with a visa debit. Combine the two and you'll never pay the 3% conversion again which adds up real fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
It's about 22% I think, so not cheap but comparable to the premium cards from major banks. But anyone who pay's credit card interest should cut their card up immediately. The interest rate is irrelevant imo
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2018, 01:13 AM   #18
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lodged a dispute form with the bank 8 days ago and they said they would wait to see what paypal said first. Im guessing paypal said there should only be one transaction for that amount, so the bank removed the charge. It wouldve been nice to have some correspondence though
This user likes this post:
Old 23-06-2018, 01:36 AM   #19
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I just transferred money from my Paypal account to my bank account.
I am also a "verified" customer with them meaning my banking details and credit card used with them has been verified and approved years ago.

Paypal still take 5 or more days to complete the transfer, which I think in this day and age is a long time and not really acceptable.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #20
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Hi,

MY comment is a bit off topic, it is more to do with credit cards and their currency conversion fees.

I find 28degrees Mastercard is excellent for overseas purchases or just to use when overseas due to their zero conversion fees. Any cash withdrawals do incur a cash advance fee but it ends up cheaper than CBA’s conversion & other fees.

Never had any problems with Paypal.

Regards,
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #21
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I think now it's Lattitude Finance, as for the interest rate I don't know, I always pay off the closing balance in full.
Old 25-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #22
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post

21.99% and no establishment fee.
Old 25-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #23
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
I bet this is an issue with your bank not PayPal. I had a similar thing happen to me recently. I was in New Zealand, went to a supermarket, bought a bunch of stuff, and just before leaving the shopping centre noticed I had been charged for an item twice. Went back, got my refund, all good. A few days later going over my transaction history I notice something strange - every transaction I made that day appeared on my transaction history about 5 or 6 times, plus a few times in the negative. Really weird - and I'm not sure if it was related to the refund I got but every other day's transactions were normal. But after I calculated every transaction for the period the balance was correct, so all the entries were just a bit of a wig-out and I was never actually charged for anything I shouldn't have been. And I'm sure a similar thing has happened before but once the actual statement is generated all is well.

I would agree, I got something from the UK a few weeks ago via Paypal and I had one Paypal transaction but my credit card had 3 debits and two credits on it.

This is the card I was using in NZ. I've had one of these for over 10 years, pretty much never use it in Aus and have it for travelling only. The amount of money it saves when overseas is huge. They give you a great conversion rate on top of the no conversion fee, it's a must for anyone who travels a bit. Citibank have an account as well that charges no conversion fees, just an everyday account with a visa debit. Combine the two and you'll never pay the 3% conversion again which adds up real fast.

Best card ever for buying stuff on the net from overseas and travelling.

It's about 22% I think, so not cheap but comparable to the premium cards from major banks. But anyone who pay's credit card interest should cut their card up immediately. The interest rate is irrelevant imo
Yep, so true!
Old 29-06-2018, 02:06 AM   #24
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been using PayPal for many years for hundreds if not thousand s of transaction, never had a problem.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post