Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #871
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/201...nd-drive-spied

New little vid too.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #872
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would anyone know what country the new Motor and Gearbox are being made in, for this vehicle?
Are they manufactured in Thailand, or imported from elsewhere?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #873
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The EcoBlue engines were developed by Ford engineering teams in the U.K. and Germany.

not sure where they build them.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #874
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Engines come from Dagenham UK - currently replaces PSA JV engines
Gearboxes come from Livonia trans plant USA
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2018, 04:00 AM   #875
articulatedsphinx

new pics of production:
https://paultan.org/2018/07/06/2018-...ion-kicks-off/

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...ne-video-69775

They are rolling off the assembly lines. I'm very excited can't wait to get mine!
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 AM   #876
articulatedsphinx

Assembly line video

https://youtu.be/QmCqkDLUF7g
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #877
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just brilliant - finally a game changer.

Just looking at the spare underneath - looks like you’d get a 35 under there no probs. It’s over to one side a little but it should fit and that bracket is solid as. I’d be more than happy with the 33’s but I’m sure the mods brigade will bling one up.

Exciting times for ya Sphinx - enjoy the ride. Have you got any trips planned for her maiden voyage?
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #878
articulatedsphinx

I'll be taking this one out to Cape York, a friends property in the top end the same month I get it, and then in 2019 we will be doing the CSR again. Need to get all the bugs out before then.

This wont be a show pony and I'll be putting it through its paces.

Will be ordering a 2nd spare/wheel which I'm sure wont be cheap. Hopefully the px2 auxillary battery kit will work with this one (rear seat one).

Need to get a behind the bumper winch plate, which probably wont exist for a bit since the frame is totally different. Called around and a few manufacturers are planning on tearing one down when they get their hands on one. Maybe can work something out with them. Like I said before I don't want a bull bar, trying to keep things light and clean. Speaking of light also need to figure out a lighting solution. Maybe a uneek 4x4 chase and roof rack without the tyre carrier, that being said I really don't like a lot of clutter.

I'll wait til I actually have it to make any actual decisions.

Last edited by articulatedsphinx; 10-07-2018 at 07:15 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #879
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brilliant Sphinx. The CSR will be a an absolute pleasure to do in the Raptor. Is great to hear you’re going to keep the lines clean and the vehicle light. Best way to go and the best look imo too. Last time I did the CSR I just took a spare carcass as a worse case. I had the spare of course but didn’t go the full second spare. I was running an old set of ‘triangles’ and didn’t get one puncture which I wasn’t really surprised about given the track is mostly sand/dirt and pretty clean.
Your Raptor will be a blast - keep us posted on your new beast.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #880
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Would love to see what you do with it Sphinx.

Definitely keep us up to date as you go.
Old 14-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #881
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're running a Raptor at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, right now!
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #882
articulatedsphinx

Looked it up! Great video. That jump is impressive.

https://www.motorsport.com/vintage/v...tm_content=www
Old 17-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #883
articulatedsphinx

Different shot of the same jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQIpclM0hI
Old 17-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #884
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still a Slug, Not much difference from the 3.2 6 speed current ranger. When will the ranger get some real power under the bonnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tQ-7QcPq7M
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #885
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
Still a Slug, Not much difference from the 3.2 6 speed current ranger. When will the ranger get some real power under the bonnet.

a tickford ranger has 169kw and 564Nm for $7500

would be better with a tickford mustang 5.0 with 360kw and 585Nm under the bonnet, rwd and raptor suspension
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #886
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys still carrying on.. you've made your point & its not like you would buy one anyway..
6 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #887
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post

The sound is interesting, quite refined compared to the 5 cyl, to be expected i suppose.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #888
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

it's a much, much more refined engine, especially when cold.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #889
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
You guys still carrying on.. you've made your point & its not like you would buy one anyway..
I'm going buy one once they offer a decent power plant like the amarok v6. Not expecting a v8 super car but at least N/A falcon/commodore acceleration. Going from a XR6T work ute that hammers to current ranger performance i couldn't do it. Ford needs to fill the gap in the market for a High performance ute that is missing and consumers want. So its only smart to carry on and complain or do you want to be a sheep and accept whatever Ford thinks we all want?
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2018, 10:28 PM   #890
articulatedsphinx

I dunno. I don't consider myself a sheep, but I'm buying this as a nice toy that fits my needs of wanting to go out in the bush and have a bit of fun. I'm not going to tow with it, I have another vehicle for that purpose.

It meets my needs. It's just like anything in life I suppose, if you don't like it no one is forcing you to buy it...
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 01:39 AM   #891
spvd02

It's 1 step away from being a great all rounder. It does everything most people would want, apart from its poor acceleration. This will be a turn-off for a lot of potential buyers, and it seems Ford is ignoring this.

I'm sure the Ranger will continue to do as well as it has, but it could have done much better, perhaps even turning into a sales leader if it offered a competitive advantage with performance. As it stands, the competition offers stronger performance for a similar price, albeit less capable off-road. Because of this fact, many potential buyers will be swayed towards other brands, something that could've been avoided had Ford opted for a stronger engine.

It appears Ford have shot themselves in the foot on this one, although on a global level they might do well. I, and I'm sure many others, would never consider the new Ranger because of it's engine alone. The 3.2 will be OK, but should've been improved. The 2.0L, marketed as the premium offering, doesn't offer anything that the 3.2 doesn't already offer, so effectively you pay more and get nothing. A very unconvincing line-up from Ford that, to the average buyer, won't make sense. It looks like a big waste of Ford's development budget.

For most people the new Ranger won't be seen as any more than a minor facelift, meaning that the Hilux should easily remain at the top of the sales charts, especially with their recent addition of off-road ready models.

With a confusing line-up that doesn't offer much in the way of improvement, the updated Ranger doesn't deserve to do that well, and I'm sure sales (at least in Australia) will reflect this.
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #892
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
It's 1 step away from being a great all rounder. It does everything most people would want, apart from its poor acceleration. This will be a turn-off for a lot of potential buyers, and it seems Ford is ignoring this.

I'm sure the Ranger will continue to do as well as it has, but it could have done much better, perhaps even turning into a sales leader if it offered a competitive advantage with performance. As it stands, the competition offers stronger performance for a similar price, albeit less capable off-road. Because of this fact, many potential buyers will be swayed towards other brands, something that could've been avoided had Ford opted for a stronger engine.

It appears Ford have shot themselves in the foot on this one, although on a global level they might do well. I, and I'm sure many others, would never consider the new Ranger because of it's engine alone. The 3.2 will be OK, but should've been improved. The 2.0L, marketed as the premium offering, doesn't offer anything that the 3.2 doesn't already offer, so effectively you pay more and get nothing. A very unconvincing line-up from Ford that, to the average buyer, won't make sense. It looks like a big waste of Ford's development budget.

For most people the new Ranger won't be seen as any more than a minor facelift, meaning that the Hilux should easily remain at the top of the sales charts, especially with their recent addition of off-road ready models.

With a confusing line-up that doesn't offer much in the way of improvement, the updated Ranger doesn't deserve to do that well, and I'm sure sales (at least in Australia) will reflect this.

I will wait til I give it a drive to make a comment about the engine, but I do understand where you're coming from. I looked at the new HiLux models and drove one (rugged x), and the changes are primarily skin deep. But you are absolutely right, the decision will ultimately be made by buyers and I'm also interested to see how it goes.

As for expensive underwhelming trucks/utes, I was most disappointed by the MB X class, the interior is underwhelming and so is the engine. However they do have a new V6 for which initial reviews are very promising. It seems like it will be a class topper as far as power goes. But owning a european car myself (Audi), let's just say I'm glad it has a warranty.

This is unrelated, but Ford US recently got rid of literally every car variant they sell (except Mustang), which reflects a trend towards bigger vehicles. I doubt they will do the same here but
Old 18-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #893
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford need to offer the ranger with the 2.3 ecoboost engine 230kw. It’s easy they already have developed it for us market. They need to offer this as a option for people that love the look of the raptor but hate the slow performance of the diesel. It’s already done. They have it. Just make a batch of 500 petrol raptors see how it sells. If it’s all good make it mainstream model.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #894
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If Ford put a petrol engine in the Raptor all you whingers would then complain about the fuel economy.

Just need something to complain about I guess. Some people are never pleased.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #895
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Expectations are everything. I had a PX1 Wildtrak, never once complained about acceleration during my ownership. Around town, overtaking, had everything it needed.

We're a bit spoilt in the past with the XR6T/GS ute/SS ute/Maloo. I've had three of those selections, with the Wildtrak never wished for more than what it had. But...i'm on the other side too. I sold the Wildtrak and went into a GS ute, you could smell the end was nigh. Honestly? That's where that sort of grunt belongs. I don't lust for a Ranger with a Miami or other performance engine. There's a hole in the market and it's you guys, but i don't think a performance Ranger is quite going to fill it. Maybe nothing will. Raptor or not. Stick a big engine into a dual cab, it's still a dual cab with a big engine. Might have a bit of straight line fun or offroad, but that's about where the similarities terminate.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #896
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post

Improvement?
You do realise that it has more power & Torque than the 3.2 offers.
it has much better economy & the 10 speed offers new modes not just extra gears.
Theres been no 0-100 released but I think you'll find its comfortably quicker than an existing Ranger.
there plenty more new features - too many to list, maybe have a read.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/651029/...ing-and-specs/
4 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #897
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Improvement?
You do realise that it has more power & Torque than the 3.2 offers.
it has much better economy & the 10 speed offers new modes not just extra gears.
Theres been no 0-100 released but I think you'll find its comfortably quicker than an existing Ranger.
there plenty more new features - too many to list, maybe have a read.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/651029/...ing-and-specs/
I wouldn't even bother trying to explain this to the whingers, who probably wouldn't buy one anyway. They just need something to whinge about.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #898
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The product Ford are releasing sounds great and no doubt it is, but the problem lies with the name. People were expecting more engine with the Raptor name. The fact that the media were (incorrectly) reporting that it was going to have a V6 Ecoboost in the lead up to reveal didn't help.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #899
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If Ford put a petrol engine in the Raptor all you whingers would then complain about the fuel economy.

Just need something to complain about I guess. Some people are never pleased.
Your wrong. It would not take much for ford too test the waters of a petrol raptor or ranger. The development has already been done. The money has been spent. 500 examples of a petrol version. See how it sells. If they don’t sell kill it. If they do sell then make it a mainstream option. Is that to much to ask for???? The people the whinge about fuel economy have the option of the 3.2 or the 2.0 diesel. What’s wrong with that?? It would cost ford nothing to test the waters. Diesels are for trucks. Not light weight utes.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #900
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
Your wrong. It would not take much for ford too test the waters of a petrol raptor or ranger. The development has already been done. The money has been spent. 500 examples of a petrol version. See how it sells. If they don’t sell kill it. If they do sell then make it a mainstream option. Is that to much to ask for???? The people the whinge about fuel economy have the option of the 3.2 or the 2.0 diesel. What’s wrong with that?? It would cost ford nothing to test the waters. Diesels are for trucks. Not light weight utes.
Rubbish, you’re wrong !!

There is no RHD Ranger with a petrol engine that has been developed for this model year, let alone one for Raptor in RHD or LHD.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post