Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 30-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
AD26

Default Fuel pump for higher end mods

Hi all, I read on the forum about our dreaded fuel pump problem, which I am also experiencing but I couldn't find whether anyone had found a solution other than keeping the tank above 1/4. The reason I ask is because I occasionally experience a loss of power which has only occurred since I added the mods I currently have on(exhaust, headers, SVT UIM, TB, K&N pod kit) which makes me think it isn't powerful enough to supply fuel for power when you want it.

The other reason is, the mod bug is biting again and I don't want to add more power if it only makes the power loss more frequent/worse. Was thinking of dropping the 3L block in with the ported 2.5L head and putting current mods on the 3L since they all supposedly fit.

Another question I had, unrelated to the fuel pump.. has anyone else got trouble keeping power to the ground? I'm ok until it starts raining, then I have to baby it completely or I lose traction. I've got 18" wheels and the actual tyres aren't worn at all.

I'll say thank you now because I know you guys will have the answer

AD26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
thearrow

Default Re: Fuel pump for higher end mods

I have all the same mods as you and also suffer from the dreaded 1/4 tank syndrome. I really don't think fuel starvation will be the issue if you are losing power at the top end. More probably a tuning issue or something electric or maybe even a vacuum leak as is the usual case.

I think I will have my mechanic remove and clean my fuel pump and fuel tank and see how that goes rather than pay over $500 for a new one.

As regards wheel spin the traction control should take care of that unless you have deliberately turned it off and are doing burn outs.

If I was going to put in a 3.0 litre motor I would import a fully re-built motor from the USA and then connect up the exhaust etc.

Hope this helps.

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD26 View Post
.. has anyone else got trouble keeping power to the ground? I'm ok until it starts raining, then I have to baby it completely or I lose traction. I've got 18" wheels and the actual tyres aren't worn at all.
I think thats how the suspension is designed for this car. I have the same issue. Though car is quite heavy especially the front end being front wheel drive it struggles to hold the traction. After upgrading UIM, throttle body and air intake with no pre-cats in exhaust line my car is doing the same. This happens when I drive alone. If I have a passenger this is not the case but an extra 70kgs in passenger seat, power will be sacrificed. When ever I think of upgrading the engine with forced induction or bigger block this issue worries me of compromising handling of the car which is what I like the most about this car.

If you think a good set of wet tires will do the magic then I will say that might not help. I had a good set of silica compound wet tyres before I switched to goodrich and that was a horrible experience. Tyres try to grip in wet but suspension won't allow that and the result is big jerks and knock sounds from the wheels and front suspension. In this case normal tyres would loose traction and spin. I am not sure if this would be the same for other cars, as I drive an Eibach with stock Eibach suspension.

With fuel pump I must say am lucky that I am not the victim of surging problem even after doing all basic upgrades. Recently I happen to drive almost to the point where car would run out of fuel in another kilometer or two. I usually refill when fuel drops below 1/2 as the fuel keeps the pump cool. Fuel pump in our cars get a bit hot compared to others. But this issue is really a mystery as no one could get to the bottom of it even after replacing most of the parts related to fuel system.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
probius
Starter Motor

I am new to the Cougar so please be gentle. I was curious why no one seems to have upgraded to a Walbro 190lph high pressure fuel pump or a Walbro 255 lph fuel pump.
probius is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
REDDYZ

You really don't want to touch fuel pumps on cougars unless there is a problem already or you have upgraded injectors. If you have upgraded the injectors you need to dyno tune ecu, upgrade MAF sensor, etc. If there is a problem with existing pump I would suggest to go for one of the heavy duty ones. Remember that with high pressure pumps you can buy only the pump not the unit. So make sure the pump you buy fits in existing unit/ assembly. Compatibility is always an issue with Cougars.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 22-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
AD26

Since I've had a few lucky gambling wins I have been seriously considering the 3L ready mades from this site http://www.3lduratec.com/home.html

I was just wondering if the cougar's fuel pump issue would just show more severe symptoms afterwards.

Would a fuel pump and injector upgrade(along with the mandatory tune) help out? Maybe an LSD?
Old 22-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
REDDYZ

If you choose to upgrade to 3L I will suggest to go with SVT cams that keeps valves open longer. Then go for bigger injectors, pump and dyno tune, you will be in a rocket. As far I know 3lduratech.com will build engine after you place order. So, this is the best chance to change cams. I don't remember if you need fuel pump upgrade with 3L block. Injectors are bigger as far I know.

Cheers.

Old 18-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
AD26

Just a further note on this.. whilst looking for a pump unit that could hopefully solve the 1/4 tank cougar problem I came across the part number for the pump that Ford in America used to replace the pump on their recalled Cougars.
The Ford part number is XS2Z-9H307-CA if anyone is interested
Old 01-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
bobofkew
Starter Motor

2000 SW Auto 140,000kms has just been sold; over the period I owned the car I had the fuel pump issue several times replacing 3 pumps.

With the last pump replacement I had the pump tested when it was removed and it tested OK which caused the dealer service department to re-investigate the issue further. They did not really come up with an answer but exchanged the EFI and Fuel Pump Relays which appeared to give a more satisfactory result.

However, the correct answer is not to let the fuel tank level fall below 1/4 (and do not overfill the tank) and even then, when the fuel tank quantity gets low the is a tendency for the engine to misfire.

Since selling the vehicle I have available For Sale 1 Fuel Pump/Sender Unit which was removed form my vehicle, tested and found serviceable with the test certification available.

I am asking $325 for this pump plus postage at your cost (located Eastern Suburbs Melbourne) Last time I checked Ford wanted $2750 for the pump Sender unit; wreckers Price around $375 and last time I checked Mercury dealer ine the US U$465 plus UPS?Fedex

Contact me here with PM or check eBay and Gumtree where the pump is advertised.
bobofkew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post