Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #1
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Swanny's Fundraising for MS 2018

It's coming up to that time of year, the MS Brissie to the Bay fundraiser. I've participated for the last 3 years, the first two being a 100km course, and last year I completed the 160km course.

This year, I guess because of the costs involved, they aren't running the 160km course, so I've signed up for the 100km route.

It's not all good, at 51 years of age, my knees are protesting when they're crossed for more than a few minutes. I'm on a waiting list to have a tear in my right knee's meniscus. If they schedule it for June, I'm going to postpone it, because I'm going to be riding the 100km on my pushbike on June 17.

I have a couple of obstacles... because of knee problems, the longest distance I've ridden in the last 4 months is 27 km. I can work on that... At the end of this month I have to go work at the Commonwealth Games for 3 weeks, and won't be able to train.

So my training will be for about 5 or 6 weeks before the event.

This has become my favourite charity to support and raise funds for, as I see the projects in the community they've built to support people with MS. If i throw dollars at the RedCross, it gets sent overseas. I'm looking after my community.

If you would like to help me in my endeavour, throw me $2 or more (so you can claim it on your tax) to help out this worthy cause.

I'll do the hard yards getting my body up to speed to do the job.

Donate here

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: Swanny's Fundraising for MS 2018

It’s only a few days to go until my 100km ride, and to say I’ve spent weeks training and preparing myself would be a lie!

Unfortunately, circumstance and responsibility comes first, though I’m still set to complete the 100km course from a bout 6.15am this Sunday.

I’ve had great support from the AFF community, which I am proud to be part of, and it’s not too late to put in a dollar to help get me over the line.

Multiple Sclerosis is a terrible disease that affects people, both young and old, and while there is no known cause or cure as yet, funds raised help improve the quality of life for those unfortunate enough to be struck down with the disease.

Don’t be shy, and click the link below. Thanks in advance!

1971 Fairlane 500
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck

@GasoLane;
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

C'mon people get into this, it's for a great cause and a top dude is making it happen.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I chipped in so he would have to ride because he had some sponsorship money.

I think the cycle route passes a couple of hospitals so Swanny should be OK.

It is good to see AFF supporting him

Oh, and he drove from Brisbane to Heathcoat in his FGX XR6T and ran his ute on the strip.

He was beaten by an AU

Go Swanny, albeit slowly. You only have to cover the distance mate.

If you fall with a heart attack something like this may save your life by giving you mouth to mouth.

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Donated, have fun
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Thanks for the support, gents!

1971 Fairlane 500

@GasoLane;
4 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Thank you all, ladies and gentlemen, with your assistance I have raised $2,000 towards Multiple Sclerosis, which goes towards social support programs, physio, exercise and occupational therapy, counselling, attendant care in private homes and support worker.

For example, $2000 can provide 10x shower chair installations, making it easier for those unable to stand long enough to clean themselves. The simple things in life that we take for granted...

Thank you to all who contributed - I take my hat off to you and shall brave the chilly weather at sunrise with you all on my mind, knowing you're cheering me on.

Swanny.

1971 Fairlane 500

@GasoLane;
3 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Well, the ride is done and dusted, I rolled out with the first 50 riders at about 6.15am this morning, at the start it was an almost pleasant 12°, so I left the jacket behind. though after the ride started and headed towards the bay, the temps dropped down to 3°, and I missed my jacket.

Up till the 70km mark I was doing okay, but started flagging after that, because the last time I've ridden this distance was 12 months ago. At the 80km mark, I noticed something odd about my left knee...

Looked odd, but I thought it was just the knee joint leaking out to make a cyst... no bother!

So I pushed on, getting over the last 20km's of ups and downs, before getting my second wind to blast over the finish line!

I got to speak with a few people after the ride, one was a man a bit older than me wearing a leg brace coming from the medic's tent. He had his hand in a make-do cast, and was pushing an E-bike. I found out that he had MS, and couldn't raise his right leg, though he can put it down. Walking was difficult for him, but riding a bike was so much easier, so he rode the 25km distance. Unfortunately someone came down in front of him, and he had chance to avoid it, so went over the handlebars. A real battered and bruised trooper, and a pleasure to meet.

The second was a young woman with her hubby and two children, who was wearing her cycling clothes, and had trouble walking straight. I asked her how she went, and she told me, "I did it!! Last year I couldn't, I ran out of breath, but this year I rode 10 km!"

So, I was happy with my experience today, my body not so much, but it'll repair over the coming days.

She too, had MS, and a couple of young kids to look after, but her excitement was so warming. She told me to make sure I came again next year, because she appreciated everyone turning up for the ride.

Thanks again, to all who helped me raising funds!

1971 Fairlane 500

@GasoLane;
6 users like this post: