Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
Moya

Default Suspension on an AU

Hi guys, is it worth doing suspension on an AU Falcon?

I don't want track suspension, but I'm considering giving er a new set of legs. Just couple extra mm on the swaybars, Koni Shocks and King SSL. Most likely have to get her cambered too.

But I wanna know if it's worth it? After doing all this, will she still handle like a 1800KG monster? For my spirited drives. I want a 'racey' feel, but not track. So if I have my girlfriend in the car, shes not getting evultions from the hard bumps.

The things I hate about my handling at the moment are:
1. Shakey Movement
2. Taking a corner, any bump causes the car to bounce around while turning, making corners house
3. 'airyness' at high speed
4. BODYROLL. I swear, taking a roundabout I feel like im falling out the window.

Has anyone actually done the suspension on there AU? Can I get general comments please.

Thanks

Last edited by Moya; 03-08-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Moya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I am 1/2 thru fitting your 'package' to your my AUII.. XR front sway bar, a few nylon bushes here and there, Konis on the front, and King SSL's.. I'll have it all installed by Saturday arvo to comment further.. I know the travel on the shocks is important to the ride quality, although on my EL I have the exact same set-up and of all of the variables the thing that made the car more rigid on the road was upgrading to 18*235*40 series tyres..

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when changing the shocks to suit lowered springs,,, how would you go about it on an AU XR.. i had a look at the monroe book and it lists the same shocks for the lowered falcons and standard xr's.. does that mean if u have an xr u dont need to change the shocks to suit!!
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Moya,
If your AU feels like a "1800kg monster" then yes, most certainly get the suspension done. My AUXR6 feels more like a "1200kg nipper" than a monster. Its the most direct and pointable Falcon I have ever driven (thats from the Xy through to the BA with very few exceptions). Thats on 100% factory Tickford suspension too.
The AU is well known for haveing a very balanced ride and excellent "point and shoot" drivability. If it feels like a monster, it needs work.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
when changing the shocks to suit lowered springs,,, how would you go about it on an AU XR.. i had a look at the monroe book and it lists the same shocks for the lowered falcons and standard xr's.. does that mean if u have an xr u dont need to change the shocks to suit!!
you dont need too but the standard shocks will not match up real well with the Kings Superlows as the springs have a different rate than the factory Tickford springs. The stock struts will be very harsh and eventually just give it up and die.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
98AUXR6

I love the handling on my standard XR6. I would just lower it for aesthetic reasons.
98AUXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I'll be lowering mine after i get the kit installed ... I'd love to deck the ute like my previous car ... but i need it for work ... so i can't go extreme on it.

So far my increase in wheel/tyre size to 235/45R17 made a nice difference in handling ... giving it a more surefooted (best way i can explain it) feel on the road.

Eventually I'll get rid of the body roll ... and give more rigidity in the handling as well. Plus I'd like to be a little lower to the ground.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #8
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I reckon I might need different shocks as the ride is definately rougher since the lowering (king lows).

What shocks have people fitted to their cars ?

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

If your AU is over the magic 100,000k mark the shocks are stooofed !
Majority of shocks are on the decline of working correctly from 70000k's.
Ofcourse she will perform much better with renewed suspension but the mix is all important.
You want handling but still a cushy ride when the g/f is in the car, the perfect comprimise is hard to find.
Most aftermarket coils are up to 25% firmer than standard
Then add Larger sway bars to the firmness
Poly Urethane bushes add again
Then the shocks.

I have run many combinations in my AU, never again am I going to use urethane.
Get the low coils and konis and you will already get 100% improvement in handling.
If you require more then go the sway bars.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Get the low coils and konis and you will already get 100% improvement in handling.
2nd that... Swaybar, ridiculously makes steering sharper... And only for $150-200 you can't go wrong.

Don't forget camber kit too.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #11
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
I reckon I might need different shocks as the ride is definately rougher since the lowering (king lows).

What shocks have people fitted to their cars ?
Originals
Pedders
Gabriel
Monroe
Koni

What budget are you looking to spend ? Thats the question ?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

So if you have an XR already what do you ask for at the suspension place ?

What should you upgrade ?

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #13
Moya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Moya,
If your AU feels like a "1800kg monster" then yes, most certainly get the suspension done. My AUXR6 feels more like a "1200kg nipper" than a monster. Its the most direct and pointable Falcon I have ever driven (thats from the Xy through to the BA with very few exceptions). Thats on 100% factory Tickford suspension too.
The AU is well known for haveing a very balanced ride and excellent "point and shoot" drivability. If it feels like a monster, it needs work.
Please dont take this the wrong way Caspet, but have you ever driven really light nimple and suspension tuned cars? I'm talking Honda CRX's, Integra Type R's etc. I think it's a big statement saying she rides like a 1200KG nipper, specially on stock suspension.

Being nimple is fine and well, but you still need to accept that these cars weight a good 1700KG+, so they aren't light, and definately went designed to be flung around tracks.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #14
Moya

Quote:
If your AU is over the magic 100,000k mark the shocks are stooofed !
Majority of shocks are on the decline of working correctly from 70000k's.
Ofcourse she will perform much better with renewed suspension but the mix is all important.
You want handling but still a cushy ride when the g/f is in the car, the perfect comprimise is hard to find.
Most aftermarket coils are up to 25% firmer than standard
Then add Larger sway bars to the firmness
Poly Urethane bushes add again
Then the shocks.

I have run many combinations in my AU, never again am I going to use urethane.

Yeh it is actually. 150K's actually :o

Well, I don't want the ride to be "soft' - I accept it will be hard, and don't mind it riding hard. But, when I do take corners slow, and drive around my parents or my girlfriend (rare) - I don't want it to feel extremely hard. I don't know if this will make sense though
Old 03-08-2005, 06:00 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moya
Please dont take this the wrong way Caspet, but have you ever driven really light nimple and suspension tuned cars? I'm talking Honda CRX's, Integra Type R's etc. I think it's a big statement saying she rides like a 1200KG nipper, specially on stock suspension.

Being nimple is fine and well, but you still need to accept that these cars weight a good 1700KG+, so they aren't light, and definately went designed to be flung around tracks.
Agreed ... even with all the money i can throw at suspension in the Falcon ... it will never be a nimble as my last car .. I had a Proton Satria with all Whiteline gear ... plus a bit more.

Yeah it was stiff ... but everything was perfectly controlled.
I enjoyed taking the 25km/h hairpins at close to 100km/h (top of 2nd gear) ... used to be great ... would have loved to have G-meter in the car to see how many Gs I was pulling laterally.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #16
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yeh it is actually. 150K's actually :o

Well, I don't want the ride to be "soft' - I accept it will be hard, and don't mind it riding hard. But, when I do take corners slow, and drive around my parents or my girlfriend (rare) - I don't want it to feel extremely hard. I don't know if this will make sense though
Ofcourse it makes sense,I want the same.
I do a few cruises with the 3fb guys and its all about handling when going on runs.
I'm running Pedders lowered coils all round with the Comfort Gas range of shocks they sell. Not too hard not too soft.
I went through a National Park run with the guys recently, it handled fantastic ! for me but we all have different tastes.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #17
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
So if you have an XR already what do you ask for at the suspension place ?

What should you upgrade ?
I wouldn't ask, all shops will push the products they get the best deal with or who they have formed a relationship.
All the research can be done here, as I said it comes down to budget and how long you intend keeping the car.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:58 PM   #18
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:

Its cool, was just a figure of speech. But yes, I've driven many, many cars of all different sizes. Admittedly some of the sporty little things have stunning handling (and brakes too usually) but many, many of them are absolute shockers. Things like Lancers, Mirages, Corolla's and anything from Gaywoo can be as light as they like, they handle like playdoh.. and lack any power to even attempt to make up for it. I would be more than happy to put my car up against quite a few of these so called "sports compacts" and I can assure you, they arnt getting away, even on some of the real twisty roads like the GOR. whatever tiny amount of handling edge they may have (and many of them simple do not have anything close to an edge) would be gone the moment they come out of the corner.
Things like the CRX, WRX and 3 seriesBMW's certainly have the handling and even the go, but the vast majority of cars sold as "sporty" compacts are anything but.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #19
Moya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Its cool, was just a figure of speech. But yes, I've driven many, many cars of all different sizes. Admittedly some of the sporty little things have stunning handling (and brakes too usually) but many, many of them are absolute shockers. Things like Lancers, Mirages, Corolla's and anything from Gaywoo can be as light as they like, they handle like playdoh.. and lack any power to even attempt to make up for it. I would be more than happy to put my car up against quite a few of these so called "sports compacts" and I can assure you, they arnt getting away, even on some of the real twisty roads like the GOR. whatever tiny amount of handling edge they may have (and many of them simple do not have anything close to an edge) would be gone the moment they come out of the corner.
Things like the CRX, WRX and 3 seriesBMW's certainly have the handling and even the go, but the vast majority of cars sold as "sporty" compacts are anything but.
Cheers mate. Naa I wasn't questioning your experience, rather, just trying to get a more 'real' aspect as to whether it's worth it or not. In other words, try to remove any bias (if any) from your statement
Old 03-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #20
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Cheers mate. Naa I wasn't questions your experience, rather, just trying to get a more 'real' aspect as to whether it's worth it or not. In other words, try to remove any bias from your statement
Not a problem. I was mostly comparing with other Falcons to be honest.
Other thing I have is the AU IRS which, much to a lot of peoples objection, makes a huge difference on the patchwork we call roads. Nearly everyone who has owned an IRS AU find it hard to drive a live axle one again, the difference is that much. Bump steer... doesnt exist.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:43 PM   #21
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you've got the money, get the konis.

There are two types. "Red" & "Yellow". Both types are adjustable, meaning you can adjust the firmness of the ride to a degree. You cannot adjust the height, just the amount or firmness of how quick/strong the shock expands, after it's been compressed by the bump. Now the "Red" koni shocks, need to be taken off the car to be adjusted, whereas the "Yellow" (Sport), can be adjusted in their position, and is only a matter of turning a knob.

So around town, have it about medium. Track or drags, make it hard. Country/Cruising make it soft. The Rears are easy too adjust, the front's are a bit harder, as there is a bit of stuff in the way. They're just very flexible that's all. 2 Year warranty on Koni's as well.

Otherwise, Pedder's Comfort option sounds good.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #22
Moya

Quote:
Ofcourse it makes sense,I want the same.
I do a few cruises with the 3fb guys and its all about handling when going on runs.
I'm running Pedders lowered coils all round with the Comfort Gas range of shocks they sell. Not too hard not too soft.
I went through a National Park run with the guys recently, it handled fantastic ! for me but we all have different tastes.
Well, looking at Koni's Website, and more specifically, the two Koni products available to AU Live-Axle Series 2 Falcons, I got a choice of either Koni Specials (soft, nicer handling) and Sports (hard, good handling, no roll).

Sport sounds like what I want. And i'd like to stay with Koni if only for the good comments I've read about there stuff.

Any able to comment specifically on how an AU2 Forte will handle if upgrading with the following:
1. King SSL all round.
2. Whiteline Polyeutherane (sp?) Swaybars +2mm front and rear
3. Koni Sports, front and rear.
4. Camber kit to fix lowering and possible negative camber it couple mm's.

Thanks once again.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #23
Moya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
If you've got the money, get the konis.

There are two types. "Red" & "Yellow". Both types are adjustable, meaning you can adjust the firmness of the ride to a degree. You cannot adjust the height, just the amount or firmness of how quick/strong the shock expands, after it's been compressed by the bump. Now the "Red" koni shocks, need to be taken off the car to be adjusted, whereas the "Yellow" (Sport), can be adjusted in their position, and is only a matter of turning a knob.

So around town, have it about medium. Track or drags, make it hard. Country/Cruising make it soft. The Rears are easy too adjust, the front's are a bit harder, as there is a bit of stuff in the way. They're just very flexible that's all. 2 Year warranty on Koni's as well.

Otherwise, Pedder's Comfort option sounds good.
You can't entertain me with a price for the sports (red) per corner?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:54 PM   #24
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have Koni Sport, with King L, and a Whiteline Swaybar up front, and camber kit. I'll soon be putting a Swaybar in the rear, and replacing the bushes in the rear too. Handling is unbelievable, also due to my 18" wheels and wider and grippier tyres, but i can take round-abouts and corners so much smoother and faster. Banking/Rolling is a thing of the past. I always leave cars behind through corners or round-a-abouts. Smart **** p-platers that try to tail gate me, get left behind.

The thing with SSL, or UL, is that the lower you go, the more bouncier, and harder it will be. Plus if your thinking of a bodykit later, SL would look fine.

Can't tell you per corner, as fronts are more expensive than the rears. But for a set of 4, i was quoted $780 (About $195). Not too bad, when Monroe's are around $80/ea or whatever.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:17 PM   #25
Moya

I thought the lower you go, the less bouncy it is due to the less travel the shock has?

Also, what size swaybar did you get up front, and what do you plan on getting on the rear?
Old 03-08-2005, 11:25 PM   #26
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure there is only one part number for the front Whiteline Swaybar, for AUII/III. I think it's 28mm, from memory.

I'm only gonna get my rear done, when i get some spare cash. As the steering is in the front, i've got everything done on the front so far, as that's where i wanted the results.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:02 AM   #27
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
I thought the lower you go, the less bouncy it is due to the less travel the shock has?
Ride height is really just one way to move the centre of gravity.

The shock absorber "dampens" the bounce of the spring. If there is not enough stroke in the shock absorber (because your car is on its guts), then your suspension will bottom out and your car will become skittish/loose on the road.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 09:13 AM   #28
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
2nd that... Swaybar, ridiculously makes steering sharper... And only for $150-200 you can't go wrong.

Don't forget camber kit too.
This man wins a prize! If you want to make an AU handle better, especially with mid corner control, you can't spend better than getting the Caster/ Camber kits done. Extends tyre life also, but you need to rotate tyres fairly often. Mine get rotated front to rear every 5k and swapped on the wheels every 10.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post