Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 10:32 PM   #211
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Russia v Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
It wasn't the Nuclear reactor on fire, it was a training centre nearby.

No..they weren't shooting at firemen...
Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.
News media at its best or simply put fake news.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2022, 10:44 PM   #212
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Conflict has erupted at Europe's largest nuclear power plant. Here's what we know
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-...know/100881822
Old 05-03-2022, 09:43 AM   #213
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Ukraine conflict: How reliant is Europe on Russia for oil and gas?

https://www.bbc.com/news/58888451
Old 05-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #214
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve studied nuclear power quite a bit, & I am going to say shooting rockets @ a nuclear power plant is a very bad idea.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:52 PM   #215
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
I’ve studied nuclear power quite a bit, & I am going to say shooting rockets @ a nuclear power plant is a very bad idea.
Because it could cause a bad reaction....
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2022, 03:08 PM   #216
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.
News media at its best or simply put fake news.
It's on my facebook/MSN/twitter feed...must be true.

Or....I read about it on Ford forums must be true......

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #217
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

Nup nup nup. I got it as gospel from Q...

Old 05-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #218
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:

So, none of what you've posted on AFF is true? Right, got it

Fact of the matter is, no matter what your source of information is, unless you've experienced it yourself, you're looking at the 'facts' through someone else's lense. Whether their lense is an intentional bias or a natural one, their lense applies some level of bias. All anyone can do is do as much research as possible and inform their own view of what the truth is.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2022, 07:30 PM   #219
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a war zone and both sides have reasons to stretch the truth and it can be difficult to verify things. We are also in our first full on social media war where a lot of stuff is coming out.

However that training facility is not somewhere else, it is part of the same complex where the reactors are and it is disturbing that any form of attack would impact there.

Common sense says there'd be an exclusion around such facilities as any incident there will not care about borders
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2022, 07:48 PM   #220
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
It's a war zone and both sides have reasons to stretch the truth and it can be difficult to verify things. We are also in our first full on social media war where a lot of stuff is coming out.

However that training facility is not somewhere else, it is part of the same complex where the reactors are and it is disturbing that any form of attack would impact there.

Common sense says there'd be an exclusion around such facilities as any incident there will not care about borders
Of course both sides will use propaganda to further their causes.

Cheers.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2022, 08:03 PM   #221
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Russia has just introduced a new law. Spreading disinformation about the war in the country will now land you 15 years in jail. FB and Twitter blocked too I think.

On the nuclear plant attack, you'd think / hope they knew what they were doing. It's pretty close to the two regions they declared independent, and pretty close to their own border. They now have control of a facility that generates 20% of the country's power. Heard they are now moving to another nuclear facility.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:14 PM   #222
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what has happened so far it seems Russia's planning is bad and the execution is worse
Old 05-03-2022, 08:22 PM   #223
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Putin has moved his family to an underground city

Quote:
The luxury high-tech bunker is located in the Altai Mountains and was designed for protection in the event of a nuclear war, said political scientist Valery Solovey.

He said the moving of Putin’s family came with a ‘failure’ of his strategic plan to conquer Ukraine, said Solovey.

He also claimed that the strongman and his defence minister Sergei Shoigu have taken part in bizarre secret shamanic rituals.

‘At the weekend, President Putin’s family was evacuated to a special bunker prepared in case of nuclear war,’ said the professor in a video.

‘This bunker is located in the [mountainous] Altai Republic. In fact, it is not a bunker, but a whole underground city, equipped with the latest science and technology.’
https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/02/vladi...lyst-16199622/

Old 05-03-2022, 09:01 PM   #224
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is why Russia will win and expose global corruption:

Old 05-03-2022, 09:41 PM   #225
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No doubt Russians are crazy bastards but maybe that time would have been better spent on figuring out how to keep fuel in their tanks. And I doubt that is a wild bear for obvious reasons
Old 05-03-2022, 09:43 PM   #226
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Maria Antonova (“MashAnt” on Twitter) seems to have a good stream of fairly direct information through both personal contacts and journalists.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:49 PM   #227
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No doubt Russians are crazy bastards but maybe that time would have been better spent on figuring out how to keep fuel in their tanks
You honestly think a country littered with pipelines that supply half the world couldn't get the logistics right to keep a handful ( at best ) from running out of fuel?.

The Russian Airforce witch is absent would take out most of Europe on it's own.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:57 PM   #228
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Australian online anti-vaccine groups switch to Putin praise and Ukraine conspiracies

Australian anti-vaxxer groups are awash with conspiracy theories praising Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as an attack on the “deep state”, with some followers of the Covid-sceptic movement expressing admiration for Vladimir Putin.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...e-conspiracies
Old 05-03-2022, 10:04 PM   #229
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
You honestly think a country littered with pipelines that supply half the world couldn't get the logistics right to keep a handful ( at best ) from running out of fuel?.

The Russian Airforce witch is absent would take out most of Europe on it's own.
You're comparing supplying gas within established pipelines to a logistics chain in a war and by all counts they haven't been able to. This is also on their own border which they have built up for a long time.

So either they can't or Ukraine is more effective then they thought, none of which reflects well on Russia

They might have an airforce on paper to have superiority over Ukraine but you're joking if you think they'd take over Europe given what we have seen
Old 05-03-2022, 10:10 PM   #230
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
given what we have seen
Which is nothing.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:31 PM   #231
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Which is nothing.
Exactly. And why is that? A competent military establishes air superiority before invading with land forces
Old 05-03-2022, 10:37 PM   #232
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone help him out.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:47 PM   #233
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Australian online anti-vaccine groups switch to Putin praise and Ukraine conspiracies

Australian anti-vaxxer groups are awash with conspiracy theories praising Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as an attack on the “deep state”, with some followers of the Covid-sceptic movement expressing admiration for Vladimir Putin.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...e-conspiracies
Which also seems to be happening around here
Old 06-03-2022, 12:00 AM   #234
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

War is the art of deception, so I wouldn't underestimate anything. I'd say that the only thing that hasn't gone according to Russia's plan, is that the people of Ukraine have not overthrown their government. I think Putin was banking on that to end the war in a couple of days. So now its plan B. They seem to be taking strategic assets with relative ease. Mariupol has just fallen, and ceasefire called to allow residents to evacuate. Remember, even with all their firepower, it took the US 40 odd days before declaring victory in Iraq.

I reckon Kyiv hasn't been taken yet because that would involve urban warfare, and would result in huge casualties. So they are going to put the city under siege and wait for a surrender / peace deal.

Mate of mine who has contacts in the US army, tells me they have estimated that there are some 30-40 "deterrence" submarines off the international water of the US. This has the potential to become something much much bigger, hence why I think US and NATO are hell bent on not getting involved militarily.

Based on what I am seeing, it appears Ukraine is being used as a proxy for a bigger war.

That's my armchair analysis for the evening.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2022, 12:13 AM   #235
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

US and NATO don't want to get involved because it would expand the war beyond Ukraine borders and make it a much bigger conflict where more people die.

Ukraine wants a no fly zone but that means NATO have to enforce it and why they didn't want Ukraine into the pact in the first place.

It's the reason why this war is ****en stupid in the first place. This is just Veelad trying to get the old band back together.

Here is hoping someone in Putin's inner circle learns from history and puts a bullet into the left listener as someone should have done with that tyrant Hitler.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2022, 04:15 PM   #236
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Here is hoping someone in Putin's inner circle learns from history and puts a bullet into the left listener as someone should have done with that tyrant Hitler.
So you are advocating an illegal murder ?

Make sure it is an American that does the deed, cause they have a licence to kill.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 06-03-2022, 04:21 PM   #237
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
So, none of what you've posted on AFF is true? Right, got it

Fact of the matter is, no matter what your source of information is, unless you've experienced it yourself, you're looking at the 'facts' through someone else's lense. Whether their lense is an intentional bias or a natural one, their lense applies some level of bias. All anyone can do is do as much research as possible and inform their own view of what the truth is.
One would think some of the posters in here are (maybe me included) on the end of putins table listening in. Clearly either some bias or an agenda to push.
IMHO a lot of what posted here and in news articles cant really be taken for gospel.
Still very sad whats going on though, what ever the reasons may or may not be.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2022, 04:39 PM   #238
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Via art historian Simon Schama (Twitter). Sniper murder of a woman taking food to a dog shelter.

https://twitter.com/Ash_Stewart_/sta...21871760949250

This cannot be the conflict Vladimir Vladimirovich envisaged.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:17 PM   #239
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

I'd pull the trigger myself if I thought it would stop a war and save many lives.

Quote:
So you are advocating an illegal murder ?

Make sure it is an American that does the deed, cause they have a licence to kill.
What is legal murder?
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2022, 06:31 PM   #240
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Anti-vax conspiracy theorists in US turning to antisemitic pro-Putin propaganda, report says

Quote:
Far-right anti-vaxxers, antisemites, and QAnonconspiracy theorists apparently can't decide if Russia's invasion of Ukraine is part of the grand plan or a reprehensible act of imperialist war.

QAnon and conspiracy theorist chat channels have been filled with debate over how to view Russian President Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine. The consensus has largely fallen along two lines.

As reported by NBC's Ben Collins, the more sane understanding of the conflict by the conspiracy theorists is that Ukrainians are brave resisters of a powerful, tyrannical authority. They see the Ukrainians defending their country from missile barrages and tank attacks as similar to their refusal to wear masks or take a vaccine.

Another group sees the alleged hidden strings behind the conflict, theorising that Mr Putin is secretly in league with former President Donald Trump, and that the invasion is not an imperialist war but instead a cover for the duo of strongmen to dismantle biological research sites in the country. These sites, they believe, are where Dr Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Disease, allegedly created the coronavirus, which he then released upon the world.

In their minds, Joe Biden is backing Ukraine over Russia in order to protect those research sites.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/anti...oKVYgGebftCK5K

Closed Thread