Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 11:40 AM   #151
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Re: Russia v Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
I thought you’d left. Interesting how you didn’t bother acknowledging the two posts offering suggestions as to why the An-225 is a relevant topic to this thread.

In other news, seems the World Taekwondo organisation has stripped Putin of his black belt. This might seem trivial, but martial arts is something Putin apparently takes very seriously, so it would actually be quite a blow to his personal pride I reckon.
Steve will get his black belt reinstated, no prob..
https://nypost.com/2022/02/28/putin-...ne-family/amp/
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 02-03-2022, 11:44 AM   #152
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Steve will get his black belt reinstated, no prob..
https://nypost.com/2022/02/28/putin-...ne-family/amp/
Love it, what a classic that Seagal is
Old 02-03-2022, 12:35 PM   #153
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
It seems that the defenders of Zmiinyi Island are alive and did not sacrifice themselves.
AFF armchair analyst thinks we are going to start seeing and hearing lots of different accounts. Its all part of war. The original story may have been shared to lift the morale of the resistance, encourage them to stay and fight.

Accounts now of Russian soldiers targeting civilians and children. But then you see Ukranians on twatter posting videos of themselves driving right up to Russian tanks and hitting them with molotov cocktails, but the Russians just let them leave?

Someone asked why war crimes was not leveled against the US for the missed drone strike that killed innocent civilians. Or probably the other million killed during the 20 year war. Apparently war crime is only when you intentionally target civilians. So if your intel was wrong, and you accidentally killed innocent civilians based on the wrong intel, its not a war crime. Instead, its called collateral damage. Hmmmmm

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #154
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Hello Friends.

Greetings from Ukraine.

The country is different than it was when you saw it or heard about it before the russian attack. I have no time to find all videos and photos of destruction, chaos and bodies. I am sure you’ve seen it all on the news but you cannot imagine the scale.

And so far, we do not know what it will be like in the future. We are doing our best to preserve it. And you too. I and all people in Ukraine are so grateful to you people all over the world for all of your support!!! IT’s incredible....

It is the war where we have been able to stop the army that is about 10 times bigger !!!! Why? Because of the spirit of people who stand on their own land. Ukrainian. Because it’s the fight of the parents who want to have future for their children against those who shell orphanages and maternity hospitals.

Many asked how I am doing. Thank you all for your messages. I just have no time to reply properly. It’s busy. I have lost the count of time. Thus, I am sending this message to all of you.

I am at my hometown, Volodymyr near the western border. I, my wife and my son are relatively safe. There are air defense alarms several times a day and at night and we have to go to the cellar. When it happened for the 1st time, I put both our cat and the dog there. Together. Now I understand that it was not a good idea, lol.. We already got used to it a bit. The closest shot was a missile that hit a few km from us last morning. It is not bad compared to many other places in Ukraine today. Last morning? I o not even know because it seems that it’s been ages since all things started. I have just read in news that that it is only the 6th day. Everyone’s level of stress is constantly very high. People move and act fast.

There are refugees passing through our town on their way to Poland. We do our best to help them as we have two spare rooms in the house. We send some to my parents’ place too. At this time, we are having a family from Andriivka village near Makariv town, close to E40 highway. It’s near Kyiv. They managed to escape right at the time after one russian convoy left the village and the other entered it. By car. Two small children, parents and a blind grandmother. It all is so difficult for her. Their cats were left back home and the kids are missing them. They do not understand that they will not see them again. They say that russian soldiers often fire into the windows of the houses in the villages that they pass on their way. At this time, there’re fights for that area and our army has managed to free Makariv.

The previous family was from Cherkasy area. They are already in Poland. The man has stayed in our town. I’ve given him my Dad’s welding machine and he’s helping to make the anti-tank barriers or whatever they are called.

The refugees that get to Poland are safe: they will survive for sure. If things get worse, my wife and son will try to go to Poland too. But for trying to help the refugees as much as possible, we are being focused to support the military. If we do not do it, there will be more refugees and destruction. Ukraine may cease to exist.

Our town Volodymyr is about 100km from Belarus. If they step in, we can be on the front line too. The chance that they will step in is high now. All we can do it get ready. Things are happening very fast these days.

You cannot imagine the incredible level of mobilization of our people. Yes, a lot flee and I can understand them. But most stay. I would not be able to live well with it if I had left. The volunteer movement to support the army is acting so fast!!! I am not old but it is not easy to keep up with the youth. Everyone does what he can do, what he is best in. It is the same in every town here. All money, all efforts. Unbelievable. New soldiers join the army. There’s constant need of protective gear and nowhere to buy! Medicine. Military outfits, sleeping bags, matrasses, gas, clothes, food, diesel generators, bags, sand, and so many different kinds of things, you will not believe.

The biggest demand at this stage is vehicles, old used vans and SUVs to make the units mobile. It is crucial for defense. If delivered from Poland, the cost can be about 1500USD per one vehicle. I am wiring the costs that I can use at this stage. At some point our possibilities will get exhausted but this time it is the matter of survival.

You will probably find my message quite emotional. But that is the way we’ve been living all of this time. 6 days? Ages! The longest time in my life.

That’s it. Let us keep strong. Thank you for your all your messages again.

If any of you would like to do a bit more to help Ukraine again (I know that you’ve done so much already!!!! Thank you!!!), I will provide the details of the official bank account of our military unit to help them buy vehicles. They are to establish an account for foreign transfers tomorrow. I can send you my account details to use the money for other purposes. I can recommend other ways of support as well. If there’s anything else you would like to help with or you can help with, let me know. It's best to send me a separate message in a new email thread I will do my best to reply.

Greetings from Ukraine, my friends.

Slava Ukraini!

P.S.: It’s been reported that there’ll be problems with the internet and cellular networks tomorrow. I will do my best to reply ASAP

Sincerely,

Andriy Dorosh

Owner

Dorosh Heritage Tours

www.DoroshHeritageTours.com

mob: +38 093 865 84 42

6 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #155
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Hello Friends.

Greetings from Ukraine.

The country is different than it was when you saw it or heard about it before the russian attack. I have no time to find all videos and photos of destruction, chaos and bodies. I am sure you’ve seen it all on the news but you cannot imagine the scale.

And so far, we do not know what it will be like in the future. We are doing our best to preserve it. And you too. I and all people in Ukraine are so grateful to you people all over the world for all of your support!!! IT’s incredible....

It is the war where we have been able to stop the army that is about 10 times bigger !!!! Why? Because of the spirit of people who stand on their own land. Ukrainian. Because it’s the fight of the parents who want to have future for their children against those who shell orphanages and maternity hospitals.

Many asked how I am doing. Thank you all for your messages. I just have no time to reply properly. It’s busy. I have lost the count of time. Thus, I am sending this message to all of you.

I am at my hometown, Volodymyr near the western border. I, my wife and my son are relatively safe. There are air defense alarms several times a day and at night and we have to go to the cellar. When it happened for the 1st time, I put both our cat and the dog there. Together. Now I understand that it was not a good idea, lol.. We already got used to it a bit. The closest shot was a missile that hit a few km from us last morning. It is not bad compared to many other places in Ukraine today. Last morning? I o not even know because it seems that it’s been ages since all things started. I have just read in news that that it is only the 6th day. Everyone’s level of stress is constantly very high. People move and act fast.

There are refugees passing through our town on their way to Poland. We do our best to help them as we have two spare rooms in the house. We send some to my parents’ place too. At this time, we are having a family from Andriivka village near Makariv town, close to E40 highway. It’s near Kyiv. They managed to escape right at the time after one russian convoy left the village and the other entered it. By car. Two small children, parents and a blind grandmother. It all is so difficult for her. Their cats were left back home and the kids are missing them. They do not understand that they will not see them again. They say that russian soldiers often fire into the windows of the houses in the villages that they pass on their way. At this time, there’re fights for that area and our army has managed to free Makariv.

The previous family was from Cherkasy area. They are already in Poland. The man has stayed in our town. I’ve given him my Dad’s welding machine and he’s helping to make the anti-tank barriers or whatever they are called.

The refugees that get to Poland are safe: they will survive for sure. If things get worse, my wife and son will try to go to Poland too. But for trying to help the refugees as much as possible, we are being focused to support the military. If we do not do it, there will be more refugees and destruction. Ukraine may cease to exist.

Our town Volodymyr is about 100km from Belarus. If they step in, we can be on the front line too. The chance that they will step in is high now. All we can do it get ready. Things are happening very fast these days.

You cannot imagine the incredible level of mobilization of our people. Yes, a lot flee and I can understand them. But most stay. I would not be able to live well with it if I had left. The volunteer movement to support the army is acting so fast!!! I am not old but it is not easy to keep up with the youth. Everyone does what he can do, what he is best in. It is the same in every town here. All money, all efforts. Unbelievable. New soldiers join the army. There’s constant need of protective gear and nowhere to buy! Medicine. Military outfits, sleeping bags, matrasses, gas, clothes, food, diesel generators, bags, sand, and so many different kinds of things, you will not believe.

The biggest demand at this stage is vehicles, old used vans and SUVs to make the units mobile. It is crucial for defense. If delivered from Poland, the cost can be about 1500USD per one vehicle. I am wiring the costs that I can use at this stage. At some point our possibilities will get exhausted but this time it is the matter of survival.

You will probably find my message quite emotional. But that is the way we’ve been living all of this time. 6 days? Ages! The longest time in my life.

That’s it. Let us keep strong. Thank you for your all your messages again.

If any of you would like to do a bit more to help Ukraine again (I know that you’ve done so much already!!!! Thank you!!!), I will provide the details of the official bank account of our military unit to help them buy vehicles. They are to establish an account for foreign transfers tomorrow. I can send you my account details to use the money for other purposes. I can recommend other ways of support as well. If there’s anything else you would like to help with or you can help with, let me know. It's best to send me a separate message in a new email thread I will do my best to reply.

Greetings from Ukraine, my friends.

Slava Ukraini!

P.S.: It’s been reported that there’ll be problems with the internet and cellular networks tomorrow. I will do my best to reply ASAP

Sincerely,

Andriy Dorosh

Owner

Dorosh Heritage Tours

www.DoroshHeritageTours.com

mob: +38 093 865 84 42

Stay safe! All the best to you & your family.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #156
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

saw on the news ruskies convoy outside Kyiv stalled due to lack of food and fuel.

hmmm how many drums of fuel could we muster up and add 'ingredients' to really F up their vehicles...perhaps its already been done
Old 02-03-2022, 02:33 PM   #157
PhilT2

What impresses me is the way the Russian vehicles are all bunched up on the road to Kiev. They are either very confident there will be no attack or very stupid. One drone strike on an ammunition or fuel truck will take out all the the surrounding vehicles. I think that's what military people call a "target rich environment"
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2022, 02:40 PM   #158
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
What impresses me is the way the Russian vehicles are all bunched up on the road to Kiev. They are either very confident there will be no attack or very stupid. One drone strike on an ammunition or fuel truck will take out all the the surrounding vehicles. I think that's what military people call a "target rich environment"
The former.

Ukraine's airforce is almost non-existant now and NATO can't put a dog in the fight without starting WW3.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #159
PhilT2

There was a story going round that EU countries were donating Migs to Ukraine but that deal either has fallen through or was never real in the first place.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:00 PM   #160
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a headline in a newspaper half hour ago that Scomo has sent lethal and non-lethal support
Old 02-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #161
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
The former.

Ukraine's airforce is almost non-existant now and NATO can't put a dog in the fight without starting WW3.
A squadron of A10’s, or Apache A64E’s would decimate that road full of cannon fodder the Russians have lined up outside Kyiv.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #162
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
A squadron of A10’s, or Apache A64E’s would decimate that road full of cannon fodder the Russians have lined up outside Kyiv.
Yep, it's a crying shame that juicy target is going to get away.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #163
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe so,but that is irrelevant,because it would never happen,& the Russians would be aware of that.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:31 PM   #164
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder how much of that convoy is a show of strength to intimidate - like how many troop carriers are simply driver only with no troops in the back?
Old 02-03-2022, 03:38 PM   #165
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Saw a headline in a newspaper half hour ago that Scomo has sent lethal and non-lethal support
What would that be - most of our military hardware is hardly state of the art anyway so perhaps he's going to box up a few of our venomous snakes and spiders and send them over.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 02-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #166
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
What would that be - most of our military hardware is hardly state of the art anyway so perhaps he's going to box up a few of our venomous snakes and spiders and send them over.
Apparently Russian soldiers are short of food, so we could air-drop them tubs of Vegemite with spoons.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2022, 04:12 PM   #167
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
They'll (Ruskies) run out of fuel first anyway.
Maybe the folks throwing petrol bombs can aim for the fuel tanks in the convoy...
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 02-03-2022, 04:16 PM   #168
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
They'll (Ruskies) run out of fuel first anyway.
Maybe the folks throwing petrol bombs can aim for the fuel tanks in the convoy...
https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/statu...78445994213393
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #169
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
NATO can't put a dog in the fight without starting WW3.
Not sure "WW3" is, or should be, a consideration.

Puttin has played right into the German's hands.
They have been itching for 75 years to have another crack at Ivan, but have been constrained. By the US, NATO, their own laws, world opinion, and guilt.
All that has gone out the window, and with the world's blessing they have now committed to spending 80 Billion (USD) a year to ramp up their military.
Puttin has started a ****ing contest that Russia simply can't win.

Even now, Puttin wants WW3 LESS than anyone.
He has counted (so far correctly) on the USA and NATO not directly intervening.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #170
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
$35m for NGOs to look after refugees and the rest to NATO to spend on ammo in the EU and hand over to Ukraine.

And first option on some French sticks that we don't need.

Last edited by FairmontGS; 02-03-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:42 PM   #171
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we have banned Putin from visiting Oz. That's really going to hurt!
Old 02-03-2022, 05:45 PM   #172
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Putin could attack Ukraine because it's not a NATO member. This morning I heard a former NATO commander (British bloke; didn't sound happy) saying that NATO cannot, for example, declare a no-fly zone over Ukraine because that would mean NATO shooting at Russian planes and anti-aircraft weapons. Do that, and the West is at war with Russia. Not a great idea unless Europe wants nuclear weapons hitting its cities.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:49 PM   #173
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The USA has committed plenty of war crimes but it's too big and too powerful to be hauled before any international court. So its war crimes are not 'war crimes'. It's that simple. (I don't think the USA recognises any international courts/tribunals that would have the scope to charge it with war crimes.) [Not war crimes, but I am pretty sure that, somehow, the German government prevented the company that made the drug thalidomide from being held accountable. If you are big enough and strong enough on the international stage, you can get away with all sorts of s**t.]

Last edited by xkxlxm; 02-03-2022 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:26 PM   #174
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I liked Cav's post cos it gave an account from someone on the ground. But I'm confused why fighters would need to ask mums and dads for donations, when several countries have pledged tens of millions of dollars in "lethal" aid. That would buy a lot military vehicles. Where is all this money going?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #175
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was curious about the convoy myself but as explained by some military bloke a fair amount of that is supply.

Ukraine doesn't want to soak up or risks resources on that but put themselves in a position to take out the elements of the convoy that are lethal and defend. Put that way it makes sense

What they need to make sure is their own supply routes doesn't get cut off in the west because all the donated aid matters little if they can't get it to front lines.

Look how bad Russia is struggling for instance and they have much more resources.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:02 PM   #176
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, it's a crying shame that juicy target is going to get away.
yep
i believe that russia has almost around 80% of its troops deployed in ukraine
so if it was me id be hitting large convoys like that whiles orchestrating some one to invade russia from the north east
then see how the slurry hits the fan as the rushed what they could muster together to get back to protect the homeland

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 02-03-2022, 07:10 PM   #177
PhilT2

Commenters seem sure that the Russian plan is to encircle Kiev. They don't have to go into the city and do the house to house fighting that will cost lives; they simply have to wait, destroy the electricity and water supply, demolishing the city with long range artillery while they watch the population starve. I just can't see a win for Ukraine here, they are outmanned and outgunned. The aid may be too little and too late. If you want to see what the Russians can do to a city check out some of the pics from the Chechnyan war.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:24 PM   #178
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
If you want to see what the Russians can do to a city check out some of the pics from the Chechnyan war.

and that was what i was going to bring up!. russia won't give two crapps about the people of Ukraine & will do what they did in Chechnyan to get their way.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:15 PM   #179
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
The 105 million $$$ will certainly be gladly accepted by Ukraine for any aid they need.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2022, 09:37 PM   #180
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
The USA has committed plenty of war crimes but it's too big and too powerful to be hauled before any international court. So its war crimes are not 'war crimes'. It's that simple. (I don't think the USA recognises any international courts/tribunals that would have the scope to charge it with war crimes.) [Not war crimes, but I am pretty sure that, somehow, the German government prevented the company that made the drug thalidomide from being held accountable. If you are big enough and strong enough on the international stage, you can get away with all sorts of s**t.]
You’re on ignore, enjoy Vlad !

You’re a Putin troll.

Last edited by Fordman1; 02-03-2022 at 09:44 PM.
Closed Thread