Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-08-2005, 02:13 AM   #1
czechone

Default Solex Door Locks

In light of my car being broken into im considering getting hold of the Solex door locks. Are they worthwhile ?

I have an AU3 XR8. Can i find these at Repco, Autobarn etc. and are they easy to install/fit well to the AU's ? Are they universal fit or are the locks sold as different models depending on the car ?

czechone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 02:46 AM   #2
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Not likely. Don't think you can get, or even fit Solex locks on a AU. This is what I've considered doing. Get a rear drivers side exterior door handle, which is exactly the same as the drivers door handle, only without the keyhole. Replace the front with with the back handle.

Now comes the dilemma of what happens if the battery in your remote dies? I'm thinking keeping a spare battery in my wallet (it's a tiny battery) and one of those mini screwdrivers on the key chain. Or.. mount the spare battery and mini screwdriver somewhere under the car (front or rear bumper), easily accessible when needed.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was parked out the front of a theatre once and walked up to the my car and pressed the remote door unlock button, to my surprise the AU beside my car also opened! I thought a moment and then relocked my car with the remote and the other car did the same.

So the poor owner of the other car didn't come back and find their car unlocked I used the Key to open my car.

What I'm saying here is if there is a chance that two cars can have the same frequencyand codes for their remotes, there's a chance that someone else can used a frequency / code generator to get in to your car as well.

I'd be more inclined to ditch remote access and stick to the Tibbe Lock System but beef up the attachment point and security around the door locks.

Or disconnect the door locks and remote access and use an electronic security key in a remote and well disguised location.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
czechone

Yeah i didn't think the Solex looked like they fit in AU's. I think one way or another im going to disable or get rid of the driver's door lock altogether (the alternate door handle idea is a good one 012 !). Might just "vandalize" the lock myself from the inside and render it inactive and just 100% rely on my remote entry and hope it never fails on me. Could NRMA still break into my car, if need be, without a functional door lock ?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I disabled all my door and boot lock in my XF with central locking, and then added an emergency hidden botten release cable so I could open the bonnet jump the battery and open the doors if I got stuck one day.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #6
T-rent
T-Rent-AU2

Solex are a "gem" style lock that use ball bearings to create a sheer line. Easier to gain entry to such a setup using a screwdriver than the Tibbe setup, which is one of the oldest yet best locking systems in the world as it is pick proof.

I reckon the Remote only option is spot on. You usually know if your remote is on the way out anyway so carrying a spare battery around isnt nessecary. Plus I think it is a great visual mod aswell.

NRMA or locksmith will be able to do it either way. Instead of vandalising your lock, just unclip the plastic arm which holds the door wire to the lock. That way you can sell that handle on eaby or something....

P-plater
T-rent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #7
MrAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001
I was parked out the front of a theatre once and walked up to the my car and pressed the remote door unlock button, to my surprise the AU beside my car also opened! I thought a moment and then relocked my car with the remote and the other car did the same.
Had the same thing with a BAXR6 the other day. Was walking to my car pulled my keys out my pocket and must of pressed the button. The BA i was next to flashed the indicators. Waited in my car for 10 mins as i thought impossible. But no one even went near it.

A mate had solex locks in his ford laser. We went into the pub for 1/2 - 1hr came out and next to my car was an empty space (supposed to be his car) and what was on the ground? A solex lock. They managed to pop the lock out.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:36 AM   #8
tick5.0
Want some classic?

A mate of mine had solex locks on his VB commodore and they butchered the door to pop the lock out. I'm sure they wouldn't fit on the AU, and bottom line is now matter how good your door locks they can just smash a window. I'd say get an alarm with a pager perhaps?
EF II XR8, Supercharged manual *** FOR SALE ***
XC Falcon, waiting for the Clevo & C4 - Sold
AE101 Corolla, the daily - Sold
SII RX-7, original - Sold
BF II GT
Alfa Romeo 156 JTS, the new daily
Z31 300ZX Turbo
tick5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 01:56 AM   #9
EFFalcon
Last warning

John_XR6's ED Fairmont Ghia smartlock remote unlocks my EF II GLi.
whats weird, is my remote won't unlock his car.

sure, what are the chances of there being another car that has the same code in the remote (and finding it)
but what are the chances of that person being a friend.
certainly a worry, but when you think about it.
if someone wants to get into your car, they will.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 02:33 AM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

I remember reading once that the reason this happens sometimes is cos when Ford cut the keys and do the frequency assignment to cars, there is only a 10,000 unit cycle it can do. So it does 10,000 different keys then starts all over again. The way Ford got round this was to make sure all the cars got allocated to different parts of the country.

How true this was/is I dont know.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:12 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
I remember reading once that the reason this happens sometimes is cos when Ford cut the keys and do the frequency assignment to cars, there is only a 10,000 unit cycle it can do. So it does 10,000 different keys then starts all over again. The way Ford got round this was to make sure all the cars got allocated to different parts of the country.

How true this was/is I dont know.
Wouldn't be surprised.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:34 PM   #12
czechone

T-Rent i think the unclipping the plastic arm to the lock is the go .... thanks man !
Old 12-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
John_XR6's ED Fairmont Ghia smartlock remote unlocks my EF II GLi.
whats weird, is my remote won't unlock his car.

sure, what are the chances of there being another car that has the same code in the remote (and finding it)
but what are the chances of that person being a friend.
certainly a worry, but when you think about it.
if someone wants to get into your car, they will.
Why don't you just reprogramme your key pad? Problem solved.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post