Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-08-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
legend223

Default Fuel problems

Hey guys im having major problems with my AU when i go to the pump to fuel up the pump cuts of when im trying to get fuel into it i make sure there is no air in it so the pump can bring the fuel in but it getting worst and i need help ASAP

legend223 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
Timeshift

I thought this was a problem with the pump...?

I get it intermittently on any random pump at any time, on my current AUIII, on my old '88 VN Calais, and my first car, my Commo VB.
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

It's usually a matter of the angle the pump is held on, im my experience.

Try adjusting what angle you're holding the pump at, if it's not on exactly the right angle, the pump stops because it thinks it's full from the fuel it's trying to pump in flowing straight onto the inside of the fuel filler.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I'd have to hold the nozzle upside down so it filled in the Territory the other day ... I think it comes down to certain petrol pumps though ... others are fine ... and some cut out at the slightest click.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Yeah, just adjust the nozzle when filling the car.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
palah
FirstFordAu2VCT

Hi Legend 233,

There is another thread on this but my wifes AU11 Faimont Ghia has the same challenge. The strange thing is on some pumps you start and expect it to keep cutting out...what it does most times :( ...but it fills fine.
Changing the nozzel angle or anything else does nothing much (in my experience), the only solution is using at a very slow fill rate... like just barely pull the trigger, which can take ages to fill

To use your time well ...

1. take a book or magazine back with you

2. Never use a garage that does not have a roof (so you don't get wet if the weather changes)

3. If you have teenage kids get them to fill up - its a novelty!!!

4. One possitive thing if you are short of cash and only put $10 in - the people at the surrounding pumps think you have filled the tank...

5. Always remember to change hands - keep a roster on your dash so you don't develop RSI .... click, click, click, click, click click and thats only 3 litres...
Blue AU2 Fairmont Ghia - stock standard and staying that way (maybe)- Experience :eclipsee_ has shown " why spend heaps of money on a car :gren:- WHY NOT BUY ONE SECOND HAND (THAT SOMEBODY ELSE HAS SPENT the $$$$$) _ FOR 'A FRACTION OF THE PRICE'!!!
palah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Hahaha palah, thats funny!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
Ray
FORD POWER!!

Hahahah... the same thing used to happen to me on my old KH laser when I filled it up at certain pumps... Click click click... bloody annoying! I think one day it took me a good 5 mins to put 10 litres in :

Soon to come - XR rear wing, cat back exhaust - maybe a body Kit or a lowering job
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
legend223

hey guys i have to buy a new fulling neck for the car as the neck is broken its going to cost me $230 from ford to fix it
Old 03-08-2005, 08:01 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

far out, thats heaps expensive.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #11
The MaDDeSTMaN

Back when I used to work in a service station, I used to have lots of customers complain about the pumps to me, or stand around and wave their arms at me and yell at me to authorise the damn pump, when the only problem was the exact angle the pump nozzle was being held at, as I would demonstrate to them if I could.

I never came across a car that I couldn't fill normally once I experimented with the angle the nozzle was held at. Funny thing is, the cars that had the most trouble were usually Falcons, where I found the angle had to be exact, or else the pumps safety cut-out would stop the pump.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:12 PM   #12
legend223

Does anyone know in sydney if someone does it cheaper to have the filler neck to be replace
Old 05-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #13
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend223
Does anyone know in sydney if someone does it cheaper to have the filler neck to be replace
You could probably get filler neck from a wreckers for not even half that price, and I doubt it would be too much of a problem to fit...
Old 05-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #14
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

with the plastic resin tanks the filler neck is all part of the tank iirc... I'd like to know what you want to replace, All i can think of is the one way flap inside the filler is broken?

EDIT: I have found that if the breather is clogged or bent they are alot harder to fill

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #15
legend223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
with the plastic resin tanks the filler neck is all part of the tank iirc... I'd like to know what you want to replace, All i can think of is the one way flap inside the filler is broken?

EDIT: I have found that if the breather is clogged or bent they are alot harder to fill
thats correct the one way flap inside the filler is broken? and down near the filter
Old 06-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #16
T-rent
T-Rent-AU2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeshift
I thought this was a problem with the pump...?

I get it intermittently on any random pump at any time, on my current AUIII, on my old '88 VN Calais, and my first car, my Commo VB.

You are joking. I had a 84 VK SL, a 91 VN Calais and now an AU2...

P-plater
T-rent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #17
xr6 ausome
Low au

Tell us how u go i have the same trouble with mt xr6 au takes like 10 min to fill a bloody joke.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #18
legend223

hey guys nice reply i want to someone and they said they will pull out the flap down near the filter and not put one there am i still going to have problems after it or not even without the one way flap