Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Magee

Default FG Turbo collides with ride on Mower

Sad to hear about this story which was just down the road from I work. The Road is pretty wide and straight, so it doesn't surprise me that someone may have been hooning on it but it also has B double trucks using it to go to the distribution warehouses in this industrial estate.

If he had a collected a truck it may have been a different story.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...cid=spartanntp
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: FG Turbo collides with ride on Mower

Watching the news report when it said neg driving a small part of me thought maybe that's the easy option for the law, but suspended licence, and a 19 year old in a turbo coon does to me stink of giving it a squirt. I'm not preaching anything, but even if the kid noticed the green mower and didn't have the stopping distance, yeah neg driving. Clearly going too fast. If the kid didn't notice then there's a major distraction. Again neg driving. Now I do not know but I'd be guessing it's a 50 or 60 zone and cars stop pretty well at those speeds so it definately is an unfortunate event.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #3
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The turbo has a "stocky" on the rear left and the rear right has a different tyre/ wheel which may not have helped the situation. The car is modified too - you can see the different intercooler piping and larger intercooler from the helicopter footage.

Was the mower driving on the road at the time?

I suppose at the end of the day the driver shouldn't have been driving in the first place - driving whilst suspended and driving a high powered vehicle (I assume without a permit).

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

A P-Plater is not allowed to drive an XR6 Turbo in Victoria.
And I very much doubt he had a permit.
I hope they throw the book at the hoon!
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #5
Kicking back

There is a method to the madness of restricting inexperienced drivers from driving high powered cars. I get that. I had no restrictions when I had my p plates but then 200kw was a high powered car. A hsv clubsport claimed 185kw at the motor so that's my angle. But somebody messed up. A lawnmower wont accelerate quick enough to pick a gap and anybody with a head on them wont pull out in something that has a conditional registration if they know the machine. My big thing attitude wise is you want to leave work in the same condition that you arrived in. Accidents due to the hands of others aren't acceptable if it's not a freak accident from the hand of God.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Just playing the devils advocate here....

Ride-on mower was being driven on the road, unregistered, uninsured, certainly not roadworthy....

Ride-on mower gets hit by a younger driver....

And somehow its the younger drivers fault?
Old 22-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Everybody has the right to expect to return home from work. Obviously the driver was going too quick or not paying attention if he failed to stop in time. That's really all it comes down to - the roads aren't a race-track and this is the exact reason caution is key.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post

Ride-on mower was being driven on the road, unregistered, uninsured, certainly not roadworthy....

How do you know unregistered, uninsured, certainly not roadworthy?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don’t think it’s mentioned if the mower had conditional registration, but it’s possible it did and had legal right to be there.

The suspended driver in a restricted vehicle was 100% illegally on the road.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
Magee

The road was closed off by police yesterday but one of the guys from work saw the smashed car still on Austrak drive about 50 m up from the roundabout. This road is used as short cut to the Hume Hwy. There is a large grassed area on one side warehouses on the other.

I don't have all the facts but my theory is the FG Turbo had turned right at the roundabout to go the Hwy and was likely out of control exiting the roundabout when he struck the mower which may have already started crossing the road.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The fact that the P Plate driver already had a suspended licence (so he should not be driving any car due to his inability to comply with traffic laws), drove a car he is not legally allowed to drive, and was charges with dangerous driving as well as negligent driving pretty much sums it up for me.

Poor guy he must have been innocent and done nothing wrong, I bet the police were just picking on him because he was a P plater.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love how everyone is jumping on the "High-Powered Vehicle" angle. This is the problem with bureaucrats and pollies forcing more and more administrative laws onto us. Who's going to enforce them?
It's like those who advocate that "big dogs" should wear muzzles. Even the worst dog is only ever a problem with an irresponsible owner, and guess what, irresponsible owners won't even buy a muzzle much less put it on.

This little punk was driving without a license anyway. THAT is the problem. Hopefully the victim's mates get hold of him and (Allegedly) give him a good kicking.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #13
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A teenager on P’s in an FG turbo - faaaaar* me. I was behind the wheel of a 1.6l 4 cyl gutless hunk of junk at 19........thank god. His life as he knew it will be over for a long time. Hope the lawnmower fella makes a full recovery.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #14
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
A teenager on P’s in an FG turbo - faaaaar* me. I was behind the wheel of a 1.6l 4 cyl gutless hunk of junk at 19........thank god. His life as he knew it will be over for a long time. Hope the lawnmower fella makes a full recovery.
I drove my FG turbo ute on Ps for 2 years. A lot more common than you think. WA has no restrictions and that's the way it should be IMO.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #15
Kicking back

Voiding any insurance is something my brother bought up a while back. 3rd party injury is gone in this case if the kid had no licence. So that's now on his head. Any property damage also fall on him. Then there are driving infringements but they are probably the least of the issues. Considering my brother is the second least responsible person in the universe, what bought on his wise words to myself was he rides a motorbike. Now for a time I was towing (only short distances, with in the same post code) a registered boat on an unregistered trailer behind a registered car. Now what gained full traction with me was hearing the scenario of what happens if a bloke on a bike rear ends the boat and ends up tangled in the trailer. It's not covered at all and it falls on me. That's the thing. Liability. Not having a licence regardless of what insurance you have doesn't make it valid. And yes I got a blue slip for the trailer. But it's a different perspective.
Old 23-06-2018, 12:50 AM   #16
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Saw the thread title and imagined a lawn mower powered by a Barra turbo motor
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #17
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be good to know the final details of the police investigation.
Too often these sorts of stories just fade away and there is no learnings from them for the general public
There is a LOT of damage to the car, yet only the rear left wheel of the mower looks damaged ????
Makes me wonder if the 19yo didn't hit a fence, pole or something else first !

I mow lawns, am not req'd to have conditional rego as its primary use is not on the road, and I can cross the road without fear of penalty, but not travel along the road (nsw).

My mower is 31hp and will travel at 16-18 kph, it gets there in an instant also, but I am very conscious about the risk when mowing near the kerb or crossing the road.

Hope the mower man makes a full recovery, and the 19yo learns a lesson he shares with his mates
Old 23-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #18
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Voiding any insurance is something my brother bought up a while back. 3rd party injury is gone in this case if the kid had no licence. So that's now on his head. Any property damage also fall on him. Then there are driving infringements but they are probably the least of the issues. Considering my brother is the second least responsible person in the universe, what bought on his wise words to myself was he rides a motorbike. Now for a time I was towing (only short distances, with in the same post code) a registered boat on an unregistered trailer behind a registered car. Now what gained full traction with me was hearing the scenario of what happens if a bloke on a bike rear ends the boat and ends up tangled in the trailer. It's not covered at all and it falls on me. That's the thing. Liability. Not having a licence regardless of what insurance you have doesn't make it valid. And yes I got a blue slip for the trailer. But it's a different perspective.
The accident happened in Victoria so this will be covered under the TAC for any personal injury, licenced or not licenced.

The TAC system is a not at fault system so he will still be covered and any others injuries that he may have caused.

The property damage, that is another story.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post