Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-01-2023, 12:10 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Restorative Dentistry - Oz vs OS

This is something that was creeping into my sights the last while, until a recent back injury shuffled priorities.

I need a stack of work done on my fangs, the alternative being dentures - which honestly isn’t appealing. Missing teeth replaced with implants, bite correction, crowns… Sydney prices seem stratospheric. (Wildtrak money, maybe plus a bit!) I need good teeth to see me out with normal care - I don’t need a grin to look like Tony Robbins.

Has anyone here actually used overseas dental practices? Even with the reality of multiple visits and on-costs of travel, some places tout themselves as a more economical alternative. A lot of the negative stories I’ve seen relate to quick sets of full implants, the “all on four while you enjoy a tropical holiday” type of thing - which is not my scope.

Whatever is chosen, I need to move reasonably quickly, procrastination is likely to run me $$$ in root canal work before February is done.

Would be great to hear of direct experiences, as opposed to anecdotes. PMs are fine if privacy is important.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2023, 09:07 AM   #2
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Restorative Dentistry - Oz vs OS

Plenty go on the dental holiday.
I think the facilities are fine, and a lot of well trained dentists.
But it comes down to risk management; what happens if something goes wrong?
Just look at the cases of people stranded with medical emergencies during the Covid lockdown.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2023, 10:32 AM   #3
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
This is something that was creeping into my sights the last while, until a recent back injury shuffled priorities.

I need a stack of work done on my fangs, the alternative being dentures - which honestly isn’t appealing. Missing teeth replaced with implants, bite correction, crowns… Sydney prices seem stratospheric. (Wildtrak money, maybe plus a bit!) I need good teeth to see me out with normal care - I don’t need a grin to look like Tony Robbins.

Has anyone here actually used overseas dental practices? Even with the reality of multiple visits and on-costs of travel, some places tout themselves as a more economical alternative. A lot of the negative stories I’ve seen relate to quick sets of full implants, the “all on four while you enjoy a tropical holiday” type of thing - which is not my scope.

Whatever is chosen, I need to move reasonably quickly, procrastination is likely to run me $$$ in root canal work before February is done.

Would be great to hear of direct experiences, as opposed to anecdotes. PMs are fine if privacy is important.
Do NOT underestimate how good dentures are, I had upper dentures at age 15 and bottom dentures at age 18 - a bloody long time ago, I get a new set every 10 years or so, the last being about $2200. I look at how much my wife spends to keep her teeth and how much it has cost over the years and I am MILES ahead. About 15 years ago so had 2 implants put in, total cost with surgery and 2 teeth - $16,000 farken hell

My dental technician is awesome, you can never tell when I have new ones (no big white fangs hanging out), I never have to go back to get them adjusted - he is a legend - and a champion sports shooter, so an around great bloke
Old 19-01-2023, 11:16 AM   #4
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Lived in Costa Rica last 5 odd yrs… Literally thousands of Americans and Canadians fly in each year for medical and dental “holidays”.
One yank couple who stayed with us, the wife had a full mouth of “All-on-4” implants done.
Cost was under US10k, which she said was a 1/3rd of what she was quoted back home.
Yank neighbour who had a house in CR and lived winter months in CR had hip replacement… Also 1/3rd of US price… and no minimum of 12month waiting.
We personally also used Costa Rica dentists.. Normal filling was US$25.00.
Their facilities are spotless and world class… Most doctors and dentists are US trained and speak fluent English. They are also the most pleasant, polite, honest people you will ever deal with.
My wife is still best friends with her female GP from where we lived who’s next vacation is to visit us here….
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2023, 11:36 AM   #5
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Closer to home… I’d check out Vietnam for dental?
Every second dentist you go to in Australia seems to be Vietnamese anyhow, so they’re probably trained here..
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Vietnam and Thailand were other places I’d seen mention of, yes.

TBH I’d even be happy with a realistically priced surgery here, but - for example - the last episode was like people who buy a Mercedes and only go to the dealer for work. $350 to investigate pain and refer, then $2400 for a single root canal job, then (waiting still to hear back) restorative crown on top. Nearly $3K just to get it ready for a crown. Korean practitioners FWIW. And to think ACA chase “ripoff tradies” down the street.

TBH bodily I feel like the equivalent of Bondy’s AU at present, everything needs attention at once.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2023, 08:21 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bloody weird world we live in, I read your thread, get side tracked head to youtube and this

https://youtu.be/fxOpK4Q1EEQ pops up.

ps I am NOt associated or affiliated by this advertisement
Old 19-01-2023, 09:30 PM   #8
ford12

A mate of mine is a dentist.
Says it's close to impossible to hire someone who is trained overseas, they just aren't trained to locall ( Australian standards ). Says the training is sometimes so bad it's really unbelievable
Cheap and nasty v expensive and quality
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2023, 10:00 PM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no experience but Id rather pay the Oz extra and have safety behind me.
I had full dentures @21 years old just had my 3rd set under $3k and 24 month warranty on breakage/non fitting and adjustment. I tried that as he had a cute nurse but she wouldnt hold my hand or my head
Old 19-01-2023, 10:10 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’m yet to hear of anyone coming to Australia particularly for the world-leading dentistry our cohort claim. Not saying it’s bad, but I don’t believe it’s likely to be that much better than any of (say) Sweden, New Zealand, Singapore.
Old 20-01-2023, 03:55 PM   #11
Itsme
Experienced Member

As you say cheap dentistry overseas but what would happen if you experienced problems once back home, what could be cheap can turn expensive, your choice along with any risks.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2023, 04:02 PM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

TBH I’d even be happy with a realistically priced surgery here, but - for example - the last episode was like people who buy a Mercedes and only go to the dealer for work. $350 to investigate pain and refer, then $2400 for a single root canal job, then (waiting still to hear back) restorative crown on top. Nearly $3K just to get it ready for a crown.
Be reasonable, they have to pay for the 200 sqm of stonework somehow.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2023, 04:12 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I think these ones want Versailles out of a single punter. :-/
Old 20-01-2023, 04:18 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I think these ones want Versailles out of a single punter. :-/
You'd love the 60sq house just quoted. 8mtr (3 story) high chimney, a "Great Hall"
not bad for a country dentist.

Old 20-01-2023, 04:20 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Gothic joinery?
Old 20-01-2023, 04:22 PM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Gothic joinery?
Cruck house, not.

Old 20-01-2023, 04:28 PM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s more than 30 years since I heard that term.