Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-03-2005, 12:07 AM   #1
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Unhappy Water leak EF Fairmont boot

Hello All,
I'm only new to the Forum so please bear with me. I have just purchased an EF Fairmont and was led to believe that boot leaks were a common problem. I gave it a pretty thorough looking over and could not see any signs of this. When I picked it up today, of course, it was chucking down rain and after parting with my cash I discovered it comes with it's own built in swimming pool. I was wondering if anyone out there has had the same problem, if so could you please advise as to the most effective and economical way to fix it.

Regards
Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Yagz
Banned

Check the seals in the boot.. Might've been hit in the **** and be slightly off alignment, hence the seal not sealing it properly..

Other than that, i'd have to see it for myself..
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 12:40 AM   #3
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I'd double check but that probably isn't road worthy.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 12:45 AM   #4
dozer
Starter Motor

Check around the spoiler if it as one. They do leak after a couple of years. Pull it off and re seal it with polyurethane.
Old 23-03-2005, 12:50 AM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

it can also leak from the rear garnish surround.
Next time it rains, take note when you open the boot, does water drizzle from the boot lid???>
Otherwise you have a rubber seal prob, or its leaking past one of the rear tail lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you bought it from a used car dealer or something, take it back to them and simply say that you want them to have a look at it and fix it for you...

Good luck with it mate, btw welcome to the forums.
Old 23-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #7
EFFalcon
Last warning

Mine leaks into the boot lid, then when u open it, it goes everywhere, the boot lid carpet keeps it undercontrol UNTIL u open the boot :P
might be different to urs though
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 06:15 PM   #8
dj_pom82
It's cold in London...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
Mine leaks into the boot lid, then when u open it, it goes everywhere, the boot lid carpet keeps it undercontrol UNTIL u open the boot :P
might be different to urs though
Exactly the same happens with mine, unless there has been some really heavy rain then it doesn't wait for me to open it before it leaks.
dj_pom82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 12:49 AM   #9
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

how can it leak on the ef's boot garnish when ef's dont have boot garnishes?
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 01:00 AM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

ok then behind the number plate surround etc :P:P
My bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 01:02 AM   #11
darkfang888
ED Fairmont 4.0L

There may be a small crack around the back of the boot seal and water runs down the rear windscreen and into the gap. Just a thought.
Old 25-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Water leak EF Fairmont boot

Dragging up an old thread here but I did resolve the issue with the leaking and it was the boot seal, it was leaking in from the top corners. I managed to fix it by putting a small nick in the rubber seal with a utility knife and feeding some 6 mm clear plastic tubing in and along around the corners and then resealed where the nick was with some clear silicone. This basically had the effect of fattening up the seal (as it had flattened out) and the end result was no more leak
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: