Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #13441
DamoAu

Default Re: FG X, The Last EVER Falcon - Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
If my FG was anything to go by, I'd say no.
Missed spots?

Biggest improvement I have seen on the sprint v the xr8 is the body colour painted and clear coated engine bay... Looks sooo much better.....

I saw a Victory gold XR8 a few months back, and the engine bay was just the base black coat... what I hated seeing was the over spray of the body colour along the sills ... looked terrible and unfinished... Couldn't beleive it was left like that....

Even my BA was colour painted engine bay - even if not clear coated - it still looked finished at least....
4 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #13442
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

My last 4 falcmonts (BA, AU2, FG2, FG X) have had unpainted engine bays. While I think it's lame, it doesn't bother me at all to be honest.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #13443
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
Not sure which NZ you live in, I know of several people with manual FGs that are not FPV
I know of a couple of people that wanted manual fg, xr8 and we're told not available only in Oz and I've asked a couple of dealers and same answers ? ....unless they're sixes?
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #13444
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoAu View Post
Missed spots?

Biggest improvement I have seen on the sprint v the xr8 is the body colour painted and clear coated engine bay... Looks sooo much better.....

I saw a Victory gold XR8 a few months back, and the engine bay was just the base black coat... what I hated seeing was the over spray of the body colour along the sills ... looked terrible and unfinished... Couldn't beleive it was left like that....

Even my BA was colour painted engine bay - even if not clear coated - it still looked finished at least....
Yep I've also noticed it on a victory gold xr8 looks really shoddy also the primer on the rotor hubs next to nicely painted brembos ....asked the dealer about it he said they all do it ? to save paint costs ....I'd rather pay a couple of hundred and have it done properly
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #13445
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Missed spots?

It was rusting in places I didn't think it was possible for corrosion to manifest. The only way these occurrences would have been prevented is if the shell was submerged in the primer so that it would work its way into all the nooks and crannies that a spray bot would have no hope of hitting with paint.

I suggested to a mid-level type at Ford to have an option box labelled "Premium Paint" at order time. Instead of the single pass through the spray booth, the body would get a second pass on all coats (and a swim in the primer tank). Obviously it was never introduced.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #13446
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
If my FG was anything to go by, I'd say no.
I thought that black (e-coat??) had to be applied in a bath?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 11:54 PM   #13447
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before buying the FGX XR8, I toyed with buying a Porsche 2 door, but my work requires me to sometimes travel with a large amount of files, clothing for a week, computers, printers, laptops, and I remember struggling packing this stuff in a Honda Euro for a 1 month Inquest in Sydney.

Today, I packed my office into the XR8, and drove from Newcastle to Coffs Harbour. Stuffed the rear with files and legal gumph for 2 cases, back seat-printer, laptops, all office gear, 2 boxes paper for printer, 3 toners, 1 drum, etc etc.

Try getting this stuff in the back seat of a mustang or a 911- ha ha. I remember the printer being a problem with the Honda Euro-very narrow back door.

Could not believe how the Falcon ate all my crap, space to spare.

Then drove to Coffs Harbour, speeds, 100kph, 80 kph, and 110kph, and I factored in speedo underreading and a uhm variance -you get my drift-as well as some uhm spirited blasts of some 4/5, and the fuel consumption was 9.6, drove around Coffs before taking the fuel consumption shot above.

Not bad for a heavily loaded dinosaur putting out some 500 hp...

Great car this Falcon......
Quote:

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #13448
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Try a Porsche Boxster has front and rear boots

/ducks
Old 23-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #13449
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
Try a Porsche Boxster has front and rear boots

/ducks
Thought carefully about a Boxster with steel top- but it was tiny when I looked over one carefully, the rear boot and front boot would hold very little of the stuff I pack. I liked the idea of a Cayman with manual and highest hp, but the lack of capacity killed that idea.

Horses for courses- Cayman is a great sports car- but does not have the versatility of the Falcon. That's what for me makes the Falcon great, mental power and engine, 4 doors for easy loading/unloading, cavernous rear boot.

Sure a little ponderous in corners-but a great compromised package that is slightly nutty.

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 23-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #13450
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Thats what they make wagons for....

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #13451
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Before buying the FGX XR8, I toyed with buying a Porsche 2 door, but my work requires me to sometimes travel with a large amount of files, clothing for a week, computers, printers, laptops, and I remember struggling packing this stuff in a Honda Euro for a 1 month Inquest in Sydney.

Today, I packed my office into the XR8, and drove from Newcastle to Coffs Harbour. Stuffed the rear with files and legal gumph for 2 cases, back seat-printer, laptops, all office gear, 2 boxes paper for printer, 3 toners, 1 drum, etc etc.

Try getting this stuff in the back seat of a mustang or a 911- ha ha. I remember the printer being a problem with the Honda Euro-very narrow back door.

Could not believe how the Falcon ate all my crap, space to spare.

Then drove to Coffs Harbour, speeds, 100kph, 80 kph, and 110kph, and I factored in speedo underreading and a uhm variance -you get my drift-as well as some uhm spirited blasts of some 4/5, and the fuel consumption was 9.6, drove around Coffs before taking the fuel consumption shot above.

Not bad for a heavily loaded dinosaur putting out some 500 hp...

Great car this Falcon......
dude FFS at least throw a rug over the back seat, your printer is digging into the rear seat like no tomorrow
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #13452
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have thought the printer would have fitted better on the front floor
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.

Last edited by XR Martin; 23-05-2016 at 12:39 PM.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #13453
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Was just joking asagaai

The Falcon is indeed a brilliant all round package

I have owned a Boxster and the front and rear boot really impressed me, but nothing comes close to the Falcon for heavy hauling

Enjoy it
Old 23-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #13454
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow 9.7. It's like these engines have a split personality. Just idling along the highway, then roaring and planting you into the seat when overtaking. I really hate it when three road trains run in convoy and I have to pedal it to get past.

Last weekend I did a 800km return trip over to Gero and the best I could hit was 10.9, 115km/h all the way.

XC Cobra #181.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 23-05-2016 at 02:37 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #13455
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Love the hair wig!!
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #13456
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Wow 9.7. It's like these engines have a split personality. Just idling along the highway, then roaring and planting you into the seat when overtaking. I really hate it when three road trains run in convoy and I have to pedal it to get past.

Last weekend I did a 800km return trip over to Gero and the best I could hit was 10.9, 115km/h all the way.

Actually- I got 9.6, 9.7 was some "city" driving in Coffs. I think the intercooler helps with fuel consumption giving a denser charge, but then again generally not because giving more consistent power with more sting, you cannot resist the temptation to give it some.

Superfly "Love the hair wig!! " I never liked horses, and these things made from horses hair, itchy, hot to wear. In Darwin, I remember having a real itchy scalp wearing one of these, and staring at the Judge for when he looked down, then quickly getting my pen underneath to have a good scratch when he was not looking.

Thankfully in civil most judges agree with me and do not wear them.

4 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #13457
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you think the engine has freed up over time giving you better economy? Mine has only got 4000km on it and it still feels tight.

I have a relative who's a retired chief justice of the supreme court. He hated his wig as well. No need to wait for him to look away, he would have joined in!

XC Cobra #181.
Old 23-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #13458
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Do you think the engine has freed up over time giving you better economy? Mine has only got 4000km on it and it still feels tight.

I have a relative who's a retired chief justice of the supreme court. He hated his wig as well. No need to wait for him to look away, he would have joined in!
Yes- you are right, these engines are tight, and I do think it has loosened up. Mine also used a little oil initially, but lately I have noticed that oil consumption is reducing as well.

Another thing is I use Nulon full synthetic, and I have formed the view that the engine runs better on the Nulon full synthetic.

3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #13459
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 5.4s were notoriously tight, also - nearly all hack journo's dismissed it as being 'sluggish' (??????????!!!!!) compared to the XR6T.

Speaking of Turbos, there's a Winter White G6ET in Sinclair Ford's showroom. What a glamour! Around $51k drive away, April 2016 build - must be one of the last?

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #13460
DamoAu

What's everyones opinion regarding the 3000K Check up service.

I was thinking of paying a little extra and getting an oil and filter change done... Let's face it... not going to cost much... but would get rid of any impurities during the run in period...

Worth doing?
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #13461
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great idea

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #13462
Pilko FNQ

I had all oils done at 2200km
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #13463
DamoAu

Old 25-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #13464
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

Quote:
What's everyones opinion regarding the 3000K Check up service.

I was thinking of paying a little extra and getting an oil and filter change done... Let's face it... not going to cost much... but would get rid of any impurities during the run in period...

Worth doing?
I did mine, really depends how much driving you are gonna do, remembering that the first "proper" service is due 12 months after delivery, not 12 months after the inspection. I did mine after 3 months and about 2700 kms, it's due again in Sept, and so far it's 3300 kms, so probably gonna still be quite low kms but will have oil changed again, thinking now, don't know if new oil and filter was really necessary, but the piece of mind is nice

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto
mtbkym01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #13465
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Congratulations- very nice- so smooth and slick. Unlike some other bumpy vehicles out there. You must be so chuffed..

Old 25-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #13466
DamoAu

I am mate... Feel very lucky with this awesome car!

Old 25-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #13467
SprintFg
Banned

Does anyone here sort of wish they bought a mustang? They are a very very impressive looking machine.

Parked my fgx next to a mustang, mustang looks amazing.

The wait made me buy xr8
SprintFg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #13468
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
Does anyone here sort of wish they bought a mustang? They are a very very impressive looking machine.

The wait made me buy xr8
I feel a hulking great shadow looming on the horizon?

Assuming bona fide question, answer: No!

2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #13469
Brian_H

Cool Re: FG X, The Last EVER Falcon - Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post

Hi Sprintster!

Even though I'm waiting for my XRTS in July I do often cast an admiring glance or two over a local mustang that gets around here. It is a red one and it is a true head turner. I would rate it as such:
Front end: equal in aggression and stance to Sprint. Just as handsome but more civilized
Side view: no competition - Mustang is much better. It has a stunning and breathless side-on profile.
Rear three quarter view: Again - mustang wins easily, but with the smooth FG-X rear end in this frame it starts to gain ground a bit.
Rear view: Sprint shines here as the rear is smoothly and professionally styled. In head-turning stakes, however, the rear of the Mustang does come out on top and, of course, is nowhere near as conservative as our beloved FG-X Sprint.

Having said all that, I am of the firm opinion that I would take either of the Sprint motors over the 5.0 in the Stang. The Stang's motor sounds great but that's all the business it does for me. The yanks could learn from the top supercharging job Herrod's done with their V8.

Just my opinion, be it noted!

Patiently Awaiting: Winter White XR6 Sprint, build #141.
Brian_H is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2016, 01:34 AM   #13470
JDSOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_H View Post
Hi Sprintster!

Even though I'm waiting for my XRTS in July I do often cast an admiring glance or two over a local mustang that gets around here. It is a red one and it is a true head turner. I would rate it as such:
Front end: equal in aggression and stance to Sprint. Just as handsome but more civilized
Side view: no competition - Mustang is much better. It has a stunning and breathless side-on profile.
Rear three quarter view: Again - mustang wins easily, but with the smooth FG-X rear end in this frame it starts to gain ground a bit.
Rear view: Sprint shines here as the rear is smoothly and professionally styled. In head-turning stakes, however, the rear of the Mustang does come out on top and, of course, is nowhere near as conservative as our beloved FG-X Sprint.

Having said all that, I am of the firm opinion that I would take either of the Sprint motors over the 5.0 in the Stang. The Stang's motor sounds great but that's all the business it does for me. The yanks could learn from the top supercharging job Herrod's done with their V8.

Just my opinion, be it noted!
I must admit the Mustang looks great, but would I swap my Limited Edition Falcon performance XR6 Sprint for a model that will be available indefinitely? DEFINITELY NOT !
JDSOTI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: