Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #841
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: That Tesla thread...

I read a more interesting article.
Apparently all the big 3 US automaker stock out performed Tesla in the first quarter of this year, which wouldn't be hard considering Tesla have gone backwards.
It was also interesting to see that 1st quarter Tesla sales dropped 61% from the same quarter last year.

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #842
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Yabba dabba doo.

Last edited by marty351; 14-06-2019 at 02:46 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #843
kmav23

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
I read a more interesting article.
Apparently all the big 3 US automaker stock out performed Tesla in the first quarter of this year, which wouldn't be hard considering Tesla have gone backwards.
It was also interesting to see that 1st quarter Tesla sales dropped 61% from the same quarter last year.
Tesla deliveries 2019 Q1 increase 110% from same quarter last year!. At the end of the day it's the yearly total sales revenue or deliveries that matter not quarter by quarter.

The US automakers stock prices the last 10 years have been shockingly awful. If your stock price has been awful for 10 years, having 1 good quarter is not much.

Last edited by kmav23; 08-04-2019 at 04:35 PM.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #844
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as kmav has posted, here's Reuters' view of the latest Deus Ex Machina:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKCN1RJ03I

Tesla are unkillable. They are TBTF. We are seeing an extraordinary time in the automotive industry - it's not motivated by profitability, it is responding to government mandates on emissions. In doing so capital is being transferred from the balance sheets of companies that may be profitable but deemed 'dirtier' to companies that have products in line with the new dictats.

If this turns out to be capital misallocation, large sections of the industry will be destroyed.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #845
kmav23

What some people don't realise with Tesla autonomy your car will be making their owners money while not in use. It will generate income. This is the big game changer and is trillion dollar industry if it works. This is the next step up from uber. While you at work the car is in use making money.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #846
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tesla autonomy .didnt it put cars into the wall
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #847
kypez
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Tesla autonomy .didnt it put cars into the wall
Not exactly. It turns off if you don't hold the steering but it warms the driver with audio and visual prompts. It then hit a wall. Still driver error

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
2014 GT-F, Manual, Kinetic with Black Stripes
2016 Everest Titanium, Sunset
2017 Tesla Model S, Blue
2019 Mustang Bullitt
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #848
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well how does the car make you money autonomously while you are at work
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #849
Sprint XR8

Kmav's autonomous Tesla vacuum's the house while he's at work.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #850
kmav23

Full autonomy is the holy grail and end game for cars and transport. All the car companies, tech companies (google, apple) and ride sharing companies Uber Lyft are working on this.

Tesla is years in front at the moment.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/05/elon...uber-lyft.html

Self-driving Teslas are going to make their owners money by competing with Uber, Lyft

Elon Musk says Tesla vehicles one day make money for their owners by autonomously transporting people when their owners are not using them — like a driverless Uber or Lyft ride.

Teslas already have the hardware they would need built in.

For example, there’s a small camera above the rear view mirror of Teslas meant to eventually give users a way to watch what happens inside their car when they are not in it.

It’s “there for when we start competing with Uber/Lyft & people allow their car to earn money for them as part of the Tesla shared autonomy fleet. In case someone messes up your car, you can check the video,” Musk Tweeted Thursday.

“It’s hard to wrap my head around a future where my car might be earning me money through autonomous driving while I’m asleep in my bed or play video games but here we are,” German professional e-sports player Marcel “Dexter” Feldkamp tweeted back.

That reality is ”...just a matter of finishing the software & going through regulatory approval,” Musk tweeted.

And eventually, “Instead of someone needing to drive their car personally, they can manage a fleet of self-driving cars,” Musk says.

Currently, Tesla has autopilot function which includes following features: “match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage,” according to the Tesla website. However, the autopilot features require the driver to be actively supervising the car.

All Tesla vehicles are built with the hardware capable of “full self-driving capabilities,” says the website. The hardware, however, is not useful until it has been activated with appropriate software updates. And Tesla will not be able to activate such software until “billions of miles of experience” have proven the features to be safer than humans and regulatory approval has been received, according to the site.

When the self-driving software is fully deployed, Tesla claims users will be able to get in the car and tell it where you need to go.

“Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you,” Tesla says on its website.

Musk also mentioned the Uber-like business model during Tesla’s third-quarter earnings conference call in October: “Tesla will operate its own ride-hailing services and compete directly with Uber and Lyft, obviously,” he said, according to CNBC.

Lyft, which went public in March, is already actively involved in autonomous car technology.

In August, Lyft said it had completed more than 5,000 self-driving rides through its app. By January, that number had climbed north of 30,000. The autonomous driving system used for these first 5,000 rides was not built by Lyft, but by the auto-parts supplier Aptiv Plc with which it partnered, according to Reuters. In October, Lyft acquired the London-based augmented reality startup Blue Vision Labs to advance its self-driving ambitions, TechCrunch says.

When reached for comment, a spokesperson for Lyft pointed CNBC Make It to Lyft co-founder and President John Zimmer’s 2016 Medium post: “Elon is right that a network of vehicles is critical, but the transition to an autonomous future will not occur primarily through individually owned cars. It will be both more practical and appealing to access autonomous vehicles when they are part of Lyft’s networked fleet.”

Tesla and Uber did not immediately respond to CNBC Make It’s request for comment.

However, about a year ago, Uber’s CEO Dara Khosrowshahi confirmed the companies interest in self-driving technology. ”[W]e are absolutely committed to self-driving cars,” Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi told Savannah Guthrie, co-host of NBC’s “The Today Show,” during an interview which aired in April 2018. “This is an important technology,” Khosrowshahi said.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #851
kmav23

Quote:
Well how does the car make you money autonomously while you are at work
Cars sit idle doing nothing for most people 23 out of 24 hours a day depreciating.

Your car will drive around picking up passengers.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #852
GasoLane
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Cars sit idle doing nothing for most people 23 out of 24 hours a day depreciating.
Well I'm glad I'm not 'most people'.

Quote:
And all the cameras and lunatic CEO tweets will not convince me to let someone else in my car unless I'm with them.

Now, tell us again. What car do you own.................assuming that you're old enough to have a license!
Old 08-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #853
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

how does the car move with no touching the steering wheel
Old 08-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #854
kypez
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
how does the car move with no touching the steering wheel
He's talking about autonomous cars. Tesla are about to release a summon feature that works over short distances (car park for example).

Full autonomous cars are a long way away IMHO... But they will come.

2017 Tesla Model S, Blue
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Old 08-04-2019, 08:35 PM   #855
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
He's talking about autonomous cars. Tesla are about to release a summon feature that works over short distances (car park for example).

Full autonomous cars are a long way away IMHO... But they will come.

so everyone has to be waiting in the same carpark to be picked up.this is what happens when a mad man says something and his minions take it as gospil
Old 08-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #856
kypez
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so everyone has to be waiting in the same carpark to be picked up.this is what happens when a mad man says something and his minions take it as gospil
I don't think you're getting it...

SUMMON FEATURE: If you go to an event and can't find a park close by, you can summon your car to pick you up closer.

AUTONOMOUS TAXI SERVICE: Now, the above concept will be taken further so that you can, similar to say Uber, call for a taxi and the closest autonomous car will come to you and take you to where you need to go. The car makes money for you while you're not using it.

2017 Tesla Model S, Blue
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Old 08-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #857
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i could say a lot but would prob get a vacation,kmav is not an alias for u is it
Old 08-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #858
kypez
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i could say a lot but would prob get a vacation,kmav is not an alias for u is it
No... Just explaining the tech cause I thought you wanted to know... I guess not.

2017 Tesla Model S, Blue
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Old 08-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #859
GasoLane
Donating Member2

Quote:
Looking at Kypez's sig I doubt that they're even distantly related!
Old 08-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #860
CitroŽnbender
DIY tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey
If this turns out to be capital misallocation, large sections of the industry will be destroyed.
At the risk of sounding alarmist, wouldn't the subsequent impact on people's ability to access affordable transportation of their own command, perhaps suit governments and industry?

Aside from that, our resident one-man-cheer-squad is IMO not a "real" person. I just can't decide if it's an elaborate joke between other members and coordinated through social media (cf the "arguments" ventriloquists' dummies have with their operators), or a paid content poster in the Philippines or similar, or a fairly sophisticated AI bot that has limited human oversight. The fact of it having not been kicked to the kerb leads me more towards the "in joke" possibility.
CitroŽnbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #861
marty351

I think kmav23 is looking to fish lake Bikal in the next few months.
but I digress.......
Old 08-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #862
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

Now, tell us again. What car do you own.................assuming that you're old enough to have a license!
He Doesn't need to own a car........

Autonomous Tesla ubers Collect & drop Him wherever he needs to be....
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #863
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

Borscht central.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #864
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've managed to track down this exclusive video of kmav in his Tesla.

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #865
CitroŽnbender
DIY tragic

Borscht rocks. I wouldn't waste it on koshka.

Quote:
I've managed to track down this exclusive video of kmav in his Tesla.
Was he charged later?
CitroŽnbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #866
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

I think mummy still drives him around...
Old 08-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #867
kmav23

Waymo (owned by Google) is already hiring out autonomous cars in America under government approved testing conditions (e.g with a emergency driver).

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/19/wa...s-on-the-road/

Waymo is gearing up to put a lot more self-driving cars on the road

Waymo is opening another technical service center in the Phoenix area, an expansion that will allow the autonomous-vehicle technology startup to double its capacity in the area as it prepares to grow its commercial fleet.

The new 85,000-square-foot center will be located in Mesa and is expected to open sometime in the second half of the year. The company’s existing 60,000-square-foot facility in the Phoenix suburb of Chandler will remain.

The former Google self-driving project that spun out to become a business under Alphabet opened its first location in Chandler, Arizona in 2016. Since then the company has ramped up its testing, launched an early rider program and slowly crept toward commercial deployment. The early rider program, which launched in April 2017, had more than 400 participants the last time Waymo shared figures on the program.

In December, the company launched Waymo One, a commercial self-driving car service and accompanying app. The service isn’t widely available yet and Waymo-trained test drivers are still behind the wheel. (Waymo does have driverless vehicles on public roads in Phoenix.)

This latest announcement signals that Waymo is still committed to its initial plan to eventually cover a large portion of the sprawling metropolis of Phoenix, which is about 600 square miles. Waymo currently operates in Chandler, Tempe, Gilbert and Mesa. It also means local residents will likely encounter more Waymo self-driving vehicles on public roads — an experience that hasn’t exactly sparked joy for some. (There have been several reports recounting fits of road rage directed at these autonomous vehicles.)

Waymo’s global fleet is about 600 cars, the large majority of which are in the Phoenix area. The new technical center will act as a second dispatch center as well as a place to maintain, clean and manage the fleet, according to the company.

It also means Waymo will hire more people in the months ahead. As Waymo noted in a blog posted Tuesday, this is not the first time it has grown its operations in Phoenix. Waymo expanded its full-service center in Chandler last year to 60,000 square feet, a facility that houses its operations and support teams, including fleet technicians, fleet dispatch, fleet response and rider support.

Here is a youtube clip of Waymo Autonomous car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al54v0fgU_g
Old 09-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #868
cheap
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ typical a story which has nothing to do with Tesla - just more of your distraction.

Meanwhile back in the real world more analysts are down rating Tesla.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #869
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

johnny cab.jpgfound kmav
Old 09-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #870
hayseed

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/unca...cars-computer/
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post