Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default XF Falcon - worlds best braking/handling car?

Driving to work this morning in the dark (about 6:30am) through notorious stretch of roo country I was sitting on 100km/h in my SV8. Now doing 100km/h in roo country just before sun-up makes me a bit of an f'wit, but being on my own I can run with high beams and "hopefully" spot anything ahead.

Anyway, a far greater f'wit roars up behind me and literally is sitting up my *** .. so close that I cannot see his headlights ( which is nice 'cos they were aligned properly anyway and they were annoying as he approached! ). Now if doing 100km/h in roo country is bad enough, doing 100km/h in roo country sitting a couple of metres behind another car seems pretty stupid ... unless I am mis-informed and XF Falcons are the greatest breaking and handling cars around??!!

So when I see a roo and jump on the anchors in my SV8 (ABS and all), the XF sitting a few meters behind me will either:
1. Stop without hitting me because of it's superior braking
2. Simply drive around me and the roo because of it's superior handling and inbuilt "stability control".

So .. do I need to trade in to buy what must be obviously (based upon driver characteristics) the best car ever built?

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

LOL
ummmmm no ..... if it was my old XF, if i hit the anchors at 100kph it would have locked up and understeered off the road. lol.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

XF Falcon - 500,000 Taxi drivers can't be wrong.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

LOL. That said, my one is quite capable in the braking department, but to get the most out of the brakes, you need to progressively mash the pedal, not in one quick stomp. Also the quality of the tyres help greatly as well. I used to have "cough" Eagle GA's (Goodyear) "cough" on the front and braking action was marginal when the brakes were called to spring into urgent action. With the Pirelli's now, let's just say my braking distances have dramatically dropped.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
mash85

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
LOL. That said, my one is quite capable in the braking department, but to get the most out of the brakes, you need to progressively mash the pedal, not in one quick stomp. Also the quality of the tyres help greatly as well. I used to have "cough" Eagle GA's (Goodyear) "cough" on the front and braking action was marginal when the brakes were called to spring into urgent action. With the Pirelli's now, let's just say my braking distances have dramatically dropped.
cant be as bad as the bob janes my dad had on his xf. death trap in the wet
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

I had me a 85 xf. God was it a tank no way you could pull up easy.

Jeff
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
max
LWBforME

Anyway, a far greater f'wit roars up behind me and literally is sitting up my *** .. so close that I cannot see his headlights ( which is nice 'cos they were aligned properly anyway and they were annoying as he approached! ). Now if doing 100km/h in roo country is bad enough, doing 100km/h in roo country sitting a couple of metres behind another car seems pretty stupid ... unless I am mis-informed and XF Falcons are the greatest breaking and handling cars around??!!

Hmm... this guy was being unintelligent to the extreme factor. Must have been a redneck.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I've hit a roo in an XF Falcon ... they can doo 100km/h and hit one with ease.
End result
XF = 1
Roo = 0

The big red was dead ... the XF had a busted grille and a broken headlight protector ... not another mark on it. It definitely is a tank.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Dont most XF's have Drums on the rear.

14" Tyres + 20 Years of worn suspension components + Drums = Written off XF & SV8 + One ****ed off SV8 owner.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
peedee

Majority have 4 wheel disc except base models and commercial base models, but I do not care how great a handling stopping car it is, stoopid to run that close to anyone at 100kph in any vehicle, Ive hit a roo in a 13 tonne fire tanker and all thet happened was the roos face imprint was in the right rear sheet metal wheel cover that was at about 90kph and mongerl just hopped away
peter
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #11
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rofl. I used to drive my mums 84 XF when it was relatively new. Brakes? What brakes? The pedal feel was nice and solid but it never stopped in a hard braking situation. I played a little. It just cooked the brakes and they faded away.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some iron calipers, good pads and fluid and they should pull up extremely well. Unfortunately most have alloy calipers, cheap pads and old brake fluid.

No matter how good the brakes are, they won't make up for an idiotic tailgating driver.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #13
Phoon Hoon

Maybe we should run a poll:

XF vs SV8 vs Western Red

On this forum, I know which'd win!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #14
EL_futuraistic

Clearly tailgating a late model anything in a old model something is a bad idea..... and tailgating at 100kp/h is even more stupid.

Question is, why did he not simply pass you????

My vote is for the Western Red

**edit** to clarify, tailgating is dangerous and stupid at any speed
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #15
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I've hit a roo in an XF Falcon ... they can doo 100km/h and hit one with ease.
End result
XF = 1
Roo = 0

The big red was dead ... the XF had a busted grille and a broken headlight protector ... not another mark on it. It definitely is a tank.
Must have been a very very small roo, cause there is no way a plastic fantastic XF would survive that unscaved hitting a roo at 100klm. come on mate. :
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #16
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mates old XC really stuggled to survive a roo. The XC was really roo-ted.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #17
BlueXr8

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash85
cant be as bad as the bob janes my dad had on his xf. death trap in the wet
cant be as bad as the tyrpes i got atm excalburs. hahaha i laughed when the guy said brand new tryes in his advert.

however awsome fun is the wet for getting sideway barley touch the gas and the back end comes out, once i hit 18 only 3 months away im just gunna smoke 'em to the rim lol however the wet sideways thing could be to do with my car is an Xr8
BlueXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
red_hotxr6
Banned

Maybe what ever the heck you are driving depends on the drivers reaction time............
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #19
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone see the XF demolished and turned on it's roof by the Italian Fans on Norton St this morning?
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #20
Phoon Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Falcon
Anyone see the XF demolished and turned on it's roof by the Italian Fans on Norton St this morning?
Yep! My eight year old picked it as a Falcon before I did. That's my Boy!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #21
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XF's can go that fast? Hmph.

I'm definently upgrading the brakes in my XF. It's got front disc, rear drum. When I put a disc LSD in the back, i'll be upgrading all brakes and suspension (including sway bars etc) hopefully.

It actually doesn't stop that bad i've found.. But when I jump in the parents BA and take it out, I can't help smiling when it pulls up.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #22
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
Clearly tailgating a late model anything in a old model something is a bad idea..... and tailgating at 100kp/h is even more stupid.

Question is, why did he not simply pass you????
No idea .. he had at least three passing areas. Just caught up to me and that was it. Maybe it ran out of puff after that? Maybe I should have slowed down and either:
1. Allowed him to pass (unlikely)
2. Quickly sped up so it would take him awhile to gain momentum to catch me again?

Typically I try to drive consistently to give people a chance to pass me if they want. If they catch me when I'm at 100km/h, I'll stay on 100km/h. I won't slow down for them to pass and I won't speed up to get away from them. It's basically their call ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #23
Ringo
I see you....

Eagle GA's on an XF....what luxury

When I bought my XF S Pack 5 Speed (Dual Fuel) it had Bob Jane 4 x Pos-a-Tractions on it. They were actually mislabelled because I had no freakin traction whatsoever. Under braking in the wet I could lock the front wheels with minimal brake pressure....they still had 50% tread left too. I wondered if they were made of plastic, not rubber.

I got a set of Bridgestone GR50's and wow - I had brakes and steering even in the wet.... I was thinking of a going on a track day with my new sports car.. it was an S pack after all - poor mans ESP right ?

Now if the falcon in the TAC add has pos-a-traction tyres and was doing 45 kph I think it still would have hit the girl at about oooooo 45kph...but sideways.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #24
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol. My old man loves pos-a-traction tyres. He even had them on my mums XF. Also had them on his ED and VN commodore.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #25
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

POS - A - TRACTIONS ARE CRAP

I had them before the Turanza ER592's (AWESOME TYRE) I can't get over just how **** the povo tractions were, and they were out before next rego, for the extra 15 odd bucks a tyre, the turanzas will be my bet from now on.

POS, hmmmm Piece of ****?

Stoney!
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #26
goXF
Now AU powered

I've had my XF for over 4 years now and still have POSATRACTION on them and have had no problem with them whatsoever. By the look of it I will get close to 50,000K on them.

Current Car: 2002 AU3 Falcon Forte sedan, 51,000Km when purchased - NOW: 81,000Km.
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #27
Ringo
I see you....

^^ Please don't tell me that your avatar is real and that you were wearing POS-A TRACTIONS on it at the time?

I got 65,000 klms out of a set of B'Stone GR50's

Would have got more except for the bushes on the f end wearing out which worn the inner edges of the tyre.

I have my pressures kinda high as well which helped....40psi

Anyway back on topic

If the XF in question was running GR50's then there was nothing to worry about - the XF would have been like it as rails !
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 11:30 AM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are you guys whinging about, the XF owner obviously understood the situation.
His car has old technology brakes so he sits directly behind a heavier vehicle with softer metal and newer technology brakes.

If a skippy or moo cattle appears and the front vehicle brakes then the XF will use it as a braking shield to absorb the initial impact.

The true genius of this is that no one would notice yet another SV8 with damage all over it, while the XF would just have a few paint marks on it's front bumper.
I take it that the XF was a completly different color to help identifiy the paint marks more easily when buffing them off.......

Seriously, XF guy is dropkick.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #29
EFIwindsor
Haltech 302w XW

maybe xf guy thinks his car brakes and handles as good as his ego
Fuel/intake -XR6T injectors, 255 LPH intank pump, 4" intake, HaltechE11v2 Exhaust-custom Tri-Y headers, Twin 2.5" HiFlo Cats, duel 2.5" exh Driveline-close ratio 4spd, 9" LSD, 300mm AU XR8 fr, XC rear, ZH Fairlane Mas/Cyl & Booster

Project car: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=21641
EFIwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #30
goXF
Now AU powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
^^ Please don't tell me that your avatar is real and that you were wearing POS-A TRACTIONS on it at the time?

!
I don't think my XF could ever get that fast or even close to it - so no the avatar is not real.

The fastest I have ever been would be around 130-140 while overtaking.
But I have never felt out of control in the xf with the posatraction's - probably because i am generally a sedate driver (in my car).

Current Car: 2002 AU3 Falcon Forte sedan, 51,000Km when purchased - NOW: 81,000Km.
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post