Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
fish
Starter Motor

Default Need help, Which cam???

Hey Guys

just need alittle help, i have a AU S1 Stright 6 and i want to put a cam in.
rang a few place and they all say that AU cams don't work. i am looking for a performance cam but not wanting to chaqnge computer or have to do major work to the engine. got quoted $650 for a crow cam with a possable 10KW increasse.

Just need to know what other people are using and where is the best place to go. And what type to increasse people may have gained.

fish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

XR6 HP cam.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

CMS Stage 2 cam for Non-VCT engine ... have seen fairly decent power figures ... and quite a phat/flat torque curve as well.

But this is available in Sydney though. Also comes down to how its tuned as well to get the best from the cam as well.

If in Melbourne ... go where literally all AU owners go ... G&D ... they will be able to help you out and give you plenty of information and options.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Unless you get head work, etc done, stick to the tried and tested XR6 HP cam. Although he's not given credit for being knowledgable on I6s, Rob Herrod told me years ago they'd tried cams, and the AU XR6 HP cam grind was as close to the best grind for the stock head. They prepped the Targa AU XR6 HP so they did have some idea.

Recent work by Chris @ Bluepower suggested that is still true. Terry's XR6 HP as done a 14.3 with the standard cam on street tyres, and mines not doing too badly either.

You're much better off spending the money on a Flash tune and getting the most out of what you've got, particularly if you've already done exhaust and intake mods. People who sell cams are naturally going to pitch improvements in order to get your cash, as that's the nature of the business.
Old 23-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
fish
Starter Motor

will the XR6 HP cam work with a non vct engine?

Did you get them form hearods?
Old 23-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #6
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

The XR6 HP is the non-VCT version, so it was already inside the engine.

If you don't have an XR6, then you could pick up a HP cam from wreckers, or perhaps from someone here who has done a cam change. If you have an XR6, then you're sweet. What other mods do you have?
Old 23-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

You can buy them from FORD spare parts new.
ELHT-6250-A for Series 1
ERT-6250-b for Series 2 & 3
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
99XR6

I'm in the same sort of boat i'm considering putting a slight cam into my XR6 series one (VCT) any suggestions on who can even supply them?
99XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
Futura01
horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
CMS Stage 2 cam for Non-VCT engine ... have seen fairly decent power figures ... and quite a phat/flat torque curve as well.

But this is available in Sydney though. Also comes down to how its tuned as well to get the best from the cam as well.

If in Melbourne ... go where literally all AU owners go ... G&D ... they will be able to help you out and give you plenty of information and options.
Mechan1k ? just curious are you running one of these cams and if so is it worthwhile grabbing one?
Futura01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
Futura01
horsepower

Yeah death cause i was reading somewhere that blue power were pulling 145rwkw out of a std cam with vernier gear and only adjusting timing on the original ????
is this true
Old 23-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #11
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Futura01, you might like to check out the Bluepower section for more info, but as a guide, both Terrys XR6HP and my XR6HP are 150+rwkw with exhaust (mine is Herrod setup, Terry's is Difillipo), usual intake mods and as you said, vernier gear with the standard HP cam, stock head, etc.
Old 23-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #12
fish
Starter Motor

Default vernier gear???

Whats a vernier gear?

Is it expensive?

At the moment i am getting about 115rwkw, my car so far has a 2.5inh eshaust system, Hi-tech extracters, jim mock pod conversion and a bigger pipe coming from the air box. i would love to hit around 130rwkw to 150rwkw.
the problem is i don't have a lot of money to spend so just looking through my options.
Old 23-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #13
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish
Whats a vernier gear?
It's a gear up the front end of the camshaft that you can adjust the timing so to speak so it doesn't cough and splutter like an old man.

Quote:
Is it expensive?
No, not really. I've got a Crow vernier gear in my ute and it was around $120 I think.

Quote:
At the moment i am getting about 115rwkw, my car so far has a 2.5inh eshaust system, Hi-tech extracters, jim mock pod conversion and a bigger pipe coming from the air box. i would love to hit around 130rwkw to 150rwkw.
the problem is i don't have a lot of money to spend so just looking through my options.
Basically, I was running 120rwkw with those same mods, before cam and chip, albeit with a restriction in the TB because of my gas setup.

Edit would do a good job getting power up where you want it.
Old 23-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #14
Futura01
horsepower

yeah i wonder if any of the boys in sydney would be able to dial in a std cam just as good as bluepower ????
hint hint suggestions anyone
Old 23-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #15
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Whats a vernier gear?

Is it expensive?

Hey Fish. Great to have you onboard with us.

Sounds like your a bit new to the modding game so I'll help ya out! :p

Check out my mod guide here (http://kaicooling.id.au/ftp/AFF/mods.doc) which can also been found in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Have Fun!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #16
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Futura01, try Autotech, who are forums sponsors from Sydney.

fish, with the mods you have, a tune is possibly the best thing you could currently do. Being in Melbourne, there are a number of tuners who you could talk to, including Bluepower, Herrod Motorsport and G&D, all of whom sponsor this forum.
Old 23-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #17
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Hey does anyone know how much the XR6 HP cams are new from ford? Also how did the HP's go against the VCT's?
Old 23-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #18
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Two questions :

What's the difference in HP cams between series 1 & 2/3 ?

DeathXR : How'd you manage 150rwkw with only the exhaust/intake/stock head ?

I had mine dyno'd with similar mods and got around 136rwkw. Thats a big difference.

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #19
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVL40L
Hey does anyone know how much the XR6 HP cams are new from ford? Also how did the HP's go against the VCT's?
Cams from Ford Parts are pricey. I think I remember seeing $180 for a standard non xr cam.

The HP's are probably a couple of tenths quicker than the VCT (give or take).

Has Fez and XB.

Old 23-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #20
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
DeathXR : How'd you manage 150rwkw with only the exhaust/intake/stock head ?

I had mine dyno'd with similar mods and got around 136rwkw. Thats a big difference.
I had about 136rwkw with those mods originally. When I took it to Bluepower, it started there at 134. With the tune, vernier gear and mods to the intake, Chris got it to 154.5rwkw. Bum in seat feel certainly confirmed that when I left!
Old 23-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #21
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
I had about 136rwkw with those mods originally. When I took it to Bluepower, it started there at 134. With the tune, vernier gear and mods to the intake, Chris got it to 154.5rwkw. Bum in seat feel certainly confirmed that when I left!
I must have misread then (missed the tune bit). That sounds alright then. With the Unichip I managed 146rwkw which sounds like its in the ball park.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 23-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #22
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Yeah, which shows anyone with the usual mods can get more out of those with a good tune.
Old 23-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #23
loxxr6
XB in parts...

On that note I can say that I was quite happy with how the car went with the standard HP cam & Unichip. Def a good combo.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 23-06-2006, 03:39 PM   #24
SWOOP
XRSVO

I played round with the AU6 motor I fitted to an ED XR6 with all usual bolt ons and then when it came time to cam I did some research and found that theres not much development for the au cam/rocker setup ,so I went backwards in fitting a ported el head and rocker setup, wade cam and netted a gain of 0.8-1sec on the track
still yet to tune it so dont have final pwr figures ,but for an idea
when it was fitted (30 thou kms egas specs running on ulp and an auto)made 112rwkw and pulled 16.3's, fitted ported head el gear and wade cam ,rough as tune 15.4's

the ratio on au rockers is different and changing to earlier opens up a fair whack of options and lowers cost ,we did head cam combo for bout 650 all up
SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #25
Futura01
horsepower

So guy's what your trying to tell me is that with current mods eg. headers,exhaust,CAI, unichip or flash with a std xr6 hp cam on vernier will do the same as a after market performance cam???????
????
Old 23-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #26
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Hang on a second!! The cams are not the end all and be all of power. Firstly lets state some facts.
If you have an auto and it puts out say 140rwkws then you would be putting out 150rwkws with the same engine in a manual car.

Secondly all cams respond to how good the cylinder head flows and compression..My study has shown that standard geads max at 450 lift.Not even the standard au cam is at its full potential!! If you are going to get a cam which needs stiffer valve springs then chances are that it needs the head ported by a professional.Otherwise you are going against the odds for gaining full advantage of the hi lift cams.

The standard xr6hp cam has a bias towards intake with the lift being much higher on the intake lobe.Thats why those things love a good exhaust system and tuning.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #27
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

That's pretty much what we've said without going into the extra detail.
Old 23-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #28
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura01
So guy's what your trying to tell me is that with current mods eg. headers,exhaust,CAI, unichip or flash with a std xr6 hp cam on vernier will do the same as a after market performance cam???????
????
No, what we've said is an aftermarket cam isn't worth investing in without more extensive mods such as head work. Stick to the XR6 hp cam and take advantage of the other mods with a good tune.
Old 23-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #29
fish
Starter Motor

I think i have to start saving, look like no way out of having to spend some big $$$. i was looking at flash tuner and uni chip just out of my price rang for now.

how much difference is here between the HP cam and the stock cam i have in my car???
Old 24-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #30
Futura01
horsepower

wondering on that same ??