Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 02-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Omega Sportswagon V Mondeo Wagon

Holden Sportwagon Omega ... from $41,990 plus on-road and dealer costs. 3.0-litre V6; 190kW/290Nm; 6-speed auto; 9.6L/100km; 228g/km CO2; RWD.

Value Cloth trim, cruise control, powered windows front and rear, single CD with aux input, auto headlights, 16-inch alloys. Bluetooth and full-sized spare optional.

How it drives Crisp steering and composed handling, although under duress transmission can kick back with a thump.

Inside Uninspiring interior looks dated. Plenty of space in rear seats and 2000 litres of cargo space.

Engine Extra 72kW and 82Nm over the Ford cost just 0.1L/100km on paper. Small-capacity V6 can struggle to propel Sportwagon up steeper hills.

Safety Five-star crash rating, six airbags, stability control.

Verdict More power for almost the same fuel consumption and better dynamics justify the extra outlay.

Ford Mondeo LX Wagon ... from $31,790 plus on-road and dealer costs. 2.3-litre, four-cylinder; 118kW/208Nm; 6-speed auto; 9.5L/100km; 227g/km CO2; FWD.

Value Cloth trim, Bluetooth with voice control, cruise control, powered front and manual rear windows, single CD with aux input, 16-inch steel wheels, space-saver spare.

How it drives Intuitive auto matches your driving style and steering is responsive, if a little remote. More tyre noise.

Inside More modern dash layout uses tactile materials. Spacious rear seat and bigger cargo area than Sportwagon.

Engine Smooth and responsive around town but can get buzzy under hard acceleration. Requires forethought to overtake on open road.

Safety Five-star crash rating, seven airbags, stability control.

Verdict An honourable loss for the Ford, which can't quite match the Holden's solidity or power.

For the price shouldn't it have been compared to the Zetec Wagon ??????

Old 02-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

$10g's is a massive difference when you consider its a 1/4 the cost of the commy, so yes dont know if its quite fair.

Perhaps its because the commy has copped a bashing lately. I can see they are comparing base models but why not compare the falcon with the commy, or are they afraid the BF3 will beat it aswell.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
RicOz

I have never seen the Zetec being reviewed, Ford always put up the LX which is silly!

You get the Zetec for about $37k, it makes the Omega specs and styling look silly for Holdens expensive entry level $42k price tag. The only thing that the Sportswagon has is the bigger engine and power and "Aussie feel good" branding.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
The only thing that the Sportswagon has is the bigger engine and power and "Aussie feel good" branding.
Someone say Mondeo Zetec TDCi Wagon?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$42k v $32k
V6 v 4cyl

It's a no brainer. Cheaper with a smaller more fuel efficient engine and a larger cargo area, why would you pay $10k more.

As suggested, why not go for the Zetec and compare it. It's still 4 or 5 grand cheaper and is a better equiped.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RWD v FWD is a significant hurdle for allot of buyers too..

Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Haha first time the 3L was considered powerful.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't driven a Commodore with the new drivetrain. But a couple of SV6 rentals left me distinctly underwhelmed - noisy engine over 3000 revs, and very average auto. Ride and handling were impressive though. But the real killer in comparison to the Mondeo was the interior. It was the weak point 3 years ago, and now looks very dated.

Personally, I don't think the Commodore is worth another $10k. And if I had the $10k, I think I'd spend it on a Zetec TDCi instead.

And a final thought - during the holidays, I got to be a back seat passenger in my wagon. It's the most roomy back seat I've ever travelled in - much better than a Commodore or Falcon. Now if only Ford could do something about the tyre roar on coarse chip seal...

Last edited by NZ XR6; 02-02-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added final para.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Tyre roar - not a comment on Mondeo Vs others but....
Have hired a Lancer sedan (~$20K) and Audi 1.9 TDI (~$38K) recently. Both woeful when it comes to tyre roar on coarse chip - is this modern car progress? Makes our 2003 Outback (GEN3) seem quiet in comparison. I reckon my 40yr old Capri is quieter too! (albeit with user-installed Soundshield matting)
Suspect it may have something to do with tyre choices/tread patterns.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

That article was almost a waste of time reading....... $10k puts the commo in a totally different class;

For the sake of a comparison; around $3k on top of the commo price you could have this XR5 spec wagon...... (if Ford Aus had the stones to bring it in)

paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or the TITANIUM Wagon...
Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
Dusty1
Giddy up!

There is a 'facelift' due this year apparently. So we might see the Titanium and diesel wagons.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
There is a 'facelift' due this year apparently. So we might see the Titanium and diesel wagons.
Even a Zetec diesel would be enough for a visit to my nearest dealer...
Old 04-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Even a Zetec diesel would be enough for a visit to my nearest dealer...
I'm with you. My lease is up in Jan 11, and I don't know if I want the same car again, although the Titanium TDCi spec is different to mine at the moment. And I would prefer a wagon due the possibility of an extra child.

I was keen on the diesel Territory, but mid 11 is all I hear, and that's not going to suit. So I might be looking elsewhere for an alternative come January.

What petrol/diesel going for in NZ these days?
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
I'm with you. My lease is up in Jan 11, and I don't know if I want the same car again, although the Titanium TDCi spec is different to mine at the moment. And I would prefer a wagon due the possibility of an extra child.

I was keen on the diesel Territory, but mid 11 is all I hear, and that's not going to suit. So I might be looking elsewhere for an alternative come January.

What petrol/diesel going for in NZ these days?
Diesel is $1.10 and 95 is $1.80. But for a diesel car, you have to pay road user charges of about $13 per 1000km in addition to the pump price.

The wagon is great - it actually has more load space than the Territory. It should be worth seeing what the Mondeo facelift means in terms of engines, as it should include the same Ecoboost petrol that's going into the Falcon in 2011.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #16
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
The wagon is great - it actually has more load space than the Territory.
Find that very hard to believe, where did you get that info from?

Last edited by paulie0735; 05-02-2010 at 03:04 PM.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #17
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Find that very hard to believe, where did you get that info from?
Ford website - the Mondeo is 1005 litres (SAE), and the Territory 1153. So the Terri is greater in terms of volume, but I think you'd find that the floor area of the Mondeo is actually larger.