Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
ivan_rayner
Starter Motor

Question Buying a Mondeo Zetec Wagon

It's time to put the old EF wagon out of its misery and so I'm thinking of buying a new (or perhaps demo) Mondeo Zetec Wagon. I'd love to get a deisel, but I don't think I want to wait 6 months for it.

What sort of price do you think I could get? (I live in Melbourne south east.) Ford doesn't seem to sell many of these, so does that mean they'd be more or less willing to provide a discount, do you think?

Is it reasonable to expect things like floor mats or some number of free services to be thrown in? What other extras could I ask for? I'd like mats, and I was taken with the idea of a rear view mirror LCD monitor thingy, but I don't think there are any other extras that I need.

Can you recommend any dealers? Or should I perhaps go with a car broker?

Any other tips or advice for a car buying novice?

Thanks,
Ivan

ivan_rayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I'd give Brad Murphy a call at Knox Ford on Burwood Highway a call, he looked after me.
Etheridge Ford are site sponsors so they are probably also worth a call.
Here's an idea of price: http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=125E094E267B

I don't think you need the rear camera mirror thing. I'm hoping the wagon comes out in Titanium TDCi spec.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
ivan_rayner
Starter Motor

Thanks Dusty. I read your other post about emailing a bunch of dealers -- I might try that and see where that gets me.

I found a new zetec wagon on carsales for $34,888 drive away, which seems like a good negotiating starting point.

Yeah, I might give the rear camera a miss. This thing has parking sensors anyway.
Old 16-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Dusty1
Giddy up!

When I park mine there are beeps in front and back! Once you figure the difference in sounds, it works well.
That email ploy saved me having to deal with pushy sales people. Although I still had to deal with a couple. I'd look up posts by Phoonfan on here (that's his user name) and PM for a quote, he works at Ehteridge Ford. As a site sponsor he might do you a good deal off the bat, they would only have 2009 plated cars now, and it's 2010.
Let me know how you go.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 16-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
wusyc

I also recommend Knox Ford. They looked after me very well too. I was dealing with a sales lady called Kim there.
Old 16-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_rayner
It's time to put the old EF wagon out of its misery and so I'm thinking of buying a new (or perhaps demo) Mondeo Zetec Wagon. I'd love to get a deisel, but I don't think I want to wait 6 months for it.

What sort of price do you think I could get? (I live in Melbourne south east.) Ford doesn't seem to sell many of these, so does that mean they'd be more or less willing to provide a discount, do you think?

Is it reasonable to expect things like floor mats or some number of free services to be thrown in? What other extras could I ask for? I'd like mats, and I was taken with the idea of a rear view mirror LCD monitor thingy, but I don't think there are any other extras that I need.

Can you recommend any dealers? Or should I perhaps go with a car broker?

Any other tips or advice for a car buying novice?

Thanks,
Ivan
let us know how you go mate, i'll either be in the market for a 05/06 Territory or a 09/10 Mondeo Wagon hopefully around June this year, would be good to see what people are paying versus advertised pricing.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
RicOz

Hi Ivan, I have a MB Zetec Wagon. You won't be disappointed. Now that the import tax has been reduced, you should be able to get it for less this year, plus they have been advertising 09 hatch for $35,990 drive away so Im sure you can get close to that mark for a wagon.

I got the premium mats and the boot scuff mat you can fold out when you load stuff in the back.

For the external, I recommend tinting cause it looks great and if you can, Euro plates look awesome too as there is a large gap on the front grill to suit the larger plate size. It fits nicely.

It has front and back sensors and the visability is not bad out that back (better than the hatch), so I wouldn't worry about reverse camera.

Last edited by RicOz; 18-01-2010 at 09:53 AM.
RicOz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
ivan_rayner
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
For the external, I recommend tinting cause it looks great and if you can, Euro plates look awesome too as there is a large gap on the front grill to suit the larger plate size. It fits nicely.
Hadn't really thought about tinting. I always have this fear of bubbles. Perhaps modern tinting doesn't have this problem any more?

I really like the look of the euro plates and can see how they'd fit nicely, but I don't know if I can justify the $500 for them.

Ivan
Old 18-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
warren77

Ivan

Modern tinting isn't bubbly. I have had it on all my cars (living in Perth, it is required) and never had it bubble.
Just make sure you get a minimum of 10 year warranty or higher.

I can also recommend the boot mat, and the bit of rubber to protect the bumper (although I have the XR5 Hatch).
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Ivan

Modern tinting isn't bubbly. I have had it on all my cars (living in Perth, it is required) and never had it bubble.
Just make sure you get a minimum of 10 year warranty or higher.

I can also recommend the boot mat, and the bit of rubber to protect the bumper (although I have the XR5 Hatch).
The bit of rubber that protects the bumper is great. It's got velcro on it and that's how it attaches to the boot carpet. I'm taking mine with me so now I've got one, I'm never letting it go.

Just got to get someone to use it now!
Previous:
Old 18-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
warren77

Dusty - the ONLY time I didn't use it, I scratched my bumper getting my sporting bag out. It has wheels because I travel with that bag all over the world. Not happy.

I do wish it was a bit wider - another 2" would make it perfect.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
RicOz

Ivan, most tinting has a lifetime or long warranty these days so shouldn't be a problem.

Yes I agree that the Euro plates are just a money grab for the road authority, but considering the Mondeo comes standard with a lot of stuff, i thought about it as an add-on accessory on to the look of the car, much like getting better rims or a spoiler etc.

Personal preference really. Before you make an offer, make sure they have all the stuff you want included in the price in their computer (eg, Euro plates, mats, tinting etc). My original quote didnt include tint or premium colour (my fault), so I had to re-negotiate and ended up adding on to the price.
Old 18-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Dusty - the ONLY time I didn't use it, I scratched my bumper getting my sporting bag out. It has wheels because I travel with that bag all over the world. Not happy.

I do wish it was a bit wider - another 2" would make it perfect.
By the looks of it, it's probably standard across the whole Ford range, and that is the fit, although a bit wider would be good.
Previous:
Old 18-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
By the looks of it, it's probably standard across the whole Ford range, and that is the fit, although a bit wider would be good.
Yes its a standard Ford one, I haven't measured it but i recon two could fit in the wagon boot side by side.
Old 19-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
Dusty1
Giddy up!

RicOz, is the opening of the wagon that much wider than the hatch?
I reckon I have about 100 mm either side before it touches the inside of the hatch opening. I doubt I could fit two in there side by side.
Previous:
Old 19-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #16
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
RicOz, is the opening of the wagon that much wider than the hatch?
I reckon I have about 100 mm either side before it touches the inside of the hatch opening. I doubt I could fit two in there side by side.
I haven't compared them but the wagon is flat and pretty wide. I could just fit two in im sure.
Old 21-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #17
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get a Ford rubber boot liner for the wagon. It has a raised lip around the outside to stop spills and dirt from getting on the boot floor. Highly recommended if you carry a lot of stuff but not cheap. And I never have to vacuum the boot floor!

My dealer suggested covering the top of the bumper with the clear plastic film used to protect paint from stone chips. Works a treat and is always in place to protect the paint.
Old 21-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #18
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
You can get a Ford rubber boot liner for the wagon. It has a raised lip around the outside to stop spills and dirt from getting on the boot floor. Highly recommended if you carry a lot of stuff but not cheap. And I never have to vacuum the boot floor!

My dealer suggested covering the top of the bumper with the clear plastic film used to protect paint from stone chips. Works a treat and is always in place to protect the paint.

Any Pics NZ XR6?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #19
ivan_rayner
Starter Motor

Just a quick follow up. Today I received my brand spanking new Mondeo Zetec Wagon in Sea Grey.

Now, while the salesman assured me I got a good deal (what else is he gonna say really?) I know I'm not the best negotiator out there, but perhaps with the knowledge of the deal I got, others can do better with their purchases.

So, what I got:
new 2009 Mondeo Zetec MB Wagon in Sea Grey
Carpet Mats
Boot liner
Cargo net
Window Tinting
15k and 30k services free
Rego, Dealer delivery, Stamp duty, etc.

$35,000

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!
Ivan
Old 09-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_rayner
Just a quick follow up. Today I received my brand spanking new Mondeo Zetec Wagon in Sea Grey.

$35,000

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!
Ivan
That is a good price, I think you did well! Good to see another Mondeo Wagon on the road. Enjoy.