Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 18-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default WS Fuel economy update

Ok we had the 15k service and gave them some Castrol edge sport to stick in it. So far (half a day) my wifes averaged 6.4l/100 previously it's used 6.6 average on her work trip. But I took it on a little drive out on the road yesterday and I beleive the oil change was worth .3L /100. That would put it in the range it's supposed to use since on the original oil on the Geelong-Melbourne freeway it was sitting on 5.4l/100 I'm sure it would run somewhere between 4.9 and 5.1 now. The very rough surface on the roads around here however make it very difficult to get good figures locally. It's somthing I get upset out when everyones trying to save on pollution and every km every car travels is burning more than half a litre per 100 extra just because the Government wanted to save a few dollars on a dodgy road, that would add up to some serious numbers. But anyway, you can all look forward to about .3 per litre better with the oil change. I figure the non Zetecs would be a bit better on fuel with the thinner tyres

greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I pick up mine tomorrow and o e of the first things I'll be doing is putting Castrol Edge in it, so fingers crossed it saves me fuel too. I'll post up my figures when I have them.
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ZETEC had its 15000km service today. I asked the service adviser about the oil. He said "for the first 15000kms they use a heavy running in oil, then at 15000km service change it too 10w 30w oil." They put Delco 10w 30w oil in my ZETEC. Plus flashed the ECU. Service cost $266.
Old 19-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
oldsoftboss

What was the purpose of flashing the ECU?
oldsoftboss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoftboss
What was the purpose of flashing the ECU?
I have problems with fuel consumption, car is doing around 9l per 100kms.
ECU was checked for updates and flashed to see if that will help fuel consumption. If not, a recorder will be linked to ECU and record the fuel consumption over a week.
Old 20-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
curik

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I have problems with fuel consumption, car is doing around 9l per 100kms.
ECU was checked for updates and flashed to see if that will help fuel consumption. If not, a recorder will be linked to ECU and record the fuel consumption over a week.
Interesting... Please keep us updated with your fuel consumption after the reflash.
curik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by curik
Interesting... Please keep us updated with your fuel consumption after the reflash.
Will do..I am getting amount the same fuel consumption out of my Fairmont as the Fez !! Be a week or so before I can post fuel consumption. Only fill up once a week. Will be interesting as auto Fez's are supposed to do around 7l per 100ks.
Old 20-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Interesting, what thickness Castrol Edge Sport did you put in? 5W-30?
Old 21-06-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
curik

890kms on the clock and my fuel consumption (auto) is v6 like. 11l/100kms. Almost 100% city driving though..
Old 21-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went for a pretty big drive yesterday and clocked up another 800ks, I found the only way to get down to 5.0l/100 was to cruise on about (all speeds are from a GPS since the speedo is out about 5ks as per normal Fords) 85km/h, 90km/h was good for about 5.1, this was on the normal old rough country roads. I had to stay on those kind of speeds anyway as it was late at night in areas heavy with Kangaroo's. Soon as you sit on 100 the fuel usage goes right up to at least the high 5's. Overall it uses at more fuel than my friends Honda Jazz which will definatly sit on 5.5l/100 if not better on the highway at 100 on the same roads. I feel like the Australian version of this car should have the diff ratio changed to suit, 2500 rpm would have been more sensible and also while I'm complaining the SEAT WINDERS ARE SH I T anyone else noticed that? I'm still in my 30s and have good strong wrists and I struggle to adjust the passenger seat, someone in their 70s would have real problems ?. So if Ford ever reads this I think the car needs to rev at 2500 on the highway + a 2 litre engine and better seat adjusters, then it will be perfect.

Vision Zetec, I'll check the oil tomorrow I still have the bottle. It was alot thinner than the stuff the car came with that's for sure but I think it was the 5-30. The highway sticker figures are in a bit of dream land I think unless your driving on roads as smooth as glass you wont ever see under 5 at 100, but I'm able to do way better than 6.0 in town (not much traffic in my town:P ).

My parents are currently on a trip around half of Australia and they are averaging 7's on the highway in their auto AU, considering how big a car that is, it's very impressive. It's been to Alive Springs a couple times before and got 7's then too, It's probably no different to an auto Fiesta.

Oh yeah the service cost for 15k was $140 (we supplied the oil)

Last edited by greenfoam; 21-06-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 21-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

I think a huge factor here could be how new the engine is, I have heard of better economy/performance once the Fez's have been run in a fair bit
Old 21-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Post first service (oil change in engine and gearbox) we are getting consistently ....

City - 7 to 7.5
Freeway - 5 to 6 (110-115 kph)

Haven't found any problem with the seat winders.
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #13
oldsoftboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
Post first service (oil change in engine and gearbox).
Did you request the gearbox oil change or is it standard. Just wondering why you would change the oil @ only 15k
Old 21-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoftboss
Did you request the gearbox oil change or is it standard. Just wondering why you would change the oil @ only 15k
By request ....

Was to address the reverse gear issue (which it has reduced considerably)

Was the 3,000 km service, not the 15,000 km service
Old 21-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
oldsoftboss

Quote:
Was to address the reverse gear issue (which it has reduced considerably)
Ah interesting. Was it a different grade of oil?
Old 22-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #16
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Post first service (oil change in engine and gearbox) we are getting consistently ....

City - 7 to 7.5

Are you sure you have you used the seat winders ? they are stiff small and there's not much room in there to get your hand on them and I have very skinny hands! more so than almost anyone else, maybe I've been spoilt and most cars have dodgy winders, I dont know. BTW I checked the oil it was 5-30
Old 22-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked up my Zetec 3-Door on Saturday. So far have done 600km, and I'm amazed at the fuel economy. I'm getting an average of 5.3L/100km!!! It was in the high fours on the Bruce hiway on Sunday (the minute is started raining it went into the mid fives).

Average fuel usage (before I reset it): 5.3L/100km
Average speed (78km/hour)

Mind you this is a car with only 600km on it, though I have been running 98 Ultimate. Supurb.

I find the seats great, the passenger front seat isn't as nice as my auntys Swift, but the back seats are light years ahead of my old Fiesta.
Old 25-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #18
oatis
Starter Motor

Default Mine getting 11L/100KM

Quote:

City - 7 to 7.5

Sounds like I have serious problem with fuel consumption. I am getting 9-10L/100KM from past 4 refills. initially i thought it was due to hilly roads&sydney city driving but seems you are getting good 7-7.5 out of this auto WS. Mine's been through 2000+ KM already... Any ideas guys?
oatis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #19
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What fuel do you use man? I have been using 98 Ultimate, maybe that's why my figures are so good?
Old 25-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatis
S but seems you are getting good 7-7.5 out of this auto WS. Mine's been through 2000+ KM already... Any ideas guys?
Ours is the 1.6 manual, no auto.

We only run 98 in it.

No babying at all - driven rather hard in fact.
Old 21-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #21
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Redline MT90 went in (supplied)
Old 22-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #22
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rapid is that road hotmix? I've never been able to get near high 4's yet not even on the freeways in Melbourne, there it did 5.3 on the original oil. Sounds like you got a good one !, what tyres did yours come with?
Old 22-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #23
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

And is it the 1.4 or 1.6L?
Old 23-06-2009, 07:55 AM   #24
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha. I don't know, but it's been supurb since Staurday. The average has bumped up to 5.8l/100km (probably due to the cold weath in Toowoomba and my short drives).

I have the Hancooks (with the handy rubber strip to prevent scratching my rims, yahoo!) and they seems quite good, not the best in wet.

I have the 1.6L. Is going quite well. Trying to figure out how to get instantanious consumption figures (gotta press something or other) but yeah, I think my car may be a one off? Mind you guys, I'm driving like a granny (havn't been over 3500RPM so that could be it haha, still only has 600km on it!).
Old 24-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #25
doctamick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
Trying to figure out how to get instantanious consumption figures (gotta press something or other)
Is it possible to get instantaneous fuel consumption? I've just been resetting the average fuel consumption by holding the button on the end of left hand stalk.

I've done mainly freeway driving (probably 60%), and the ocassional spirited driving in-between, and averaged 6.2 L/100km and 51 km/h for the first 2500kms (without resetting any of the averages). FYI: I have a 1.6L manual Zetec 5door, with the factory option 17inch wheels and Falken tyres ( 452's I think), and been running Caltex Vortex 98 petrol.

The car is currently at the dealer for the 3,000 km service. I will let you know if there's any change in fuel consumption. But I think that 6.2 L/100km is pretty good anyway.
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #26
doctamick

Whoops... I just realised that the first "service" is just an inspection. : So I probably won't see any change in fuel consumption until the 15k service.
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #27
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctamick
Whoops... I just realised that the first "service" is just an inspection. : So I probably won't see any change in fuel consumption until the 15k service.
They will offer oil change (our dealer did).

I'd recommend it.

We supplied the oil - got ours done at the "free" 1500 km check up.
Old 23-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #28
curik

Nice figures there typhoon! Especially the engine is still in its break-in period. But don't let it rev constantly all the time, you want to make sure the pistons seat on nicely.
Old 23-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #29
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curik
Nice figures there typhoon! Especially the engine is still in its break-in period. But don't let it rev constantly all the time, you want to make sure the pistons seat on nicely.
Hey can you please elaborate on that a bit more? cheers
Old 23-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #30
curik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision Zetec
Hey can you please elaborate on that a bit more? cheers
Yeah sure, it's advisable to vary the rev and throttle input during break-in period instead of revving it at one spot (cruising steadily on the freeway) so the piston rings would maintain a good seal. I don't have any empirical evidence to back up this notion, but I have read it in a few owner manuals. Cruising at low revs produce little stress in the cylinder as if the engine is only free running. If you have to commute through lots of traffic free roads, try to take your car for a spirited run on a hilly area.