Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 23-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Default Auto Self Dimming Internal rear view mirror - effectiveness?

I have an MB XR5T with that magical automatic self-dimming internal rear view mirror.

Problems is, in daylight, it doesn't seem to recognise the bright headlights and DRLs that are following me then dim itself. I have to duck my head or realign the mirror to shift the bright lights away.

How are other people with this snazzy feature coping?
Is lack of daylight time function normal ?

Everything works fine after dark.

allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
fordmondeoman

if the system works like it does on other euro cars then it doesnt dim during the day time as its thinking well if its light outside then the driver wont be dazzeled by light in the mirror. Try turning your lights on when u want it to dim and see if that dims it, i dont think it will though.
Old 24-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DRL's shouldn't be a problem during the day unless it's quite gloomy. HID headlights are another story - I hate it when a car with these follows me over a judder bar.

You could always fit a manual dipping mirror - I could swap with you if you like!
Old 24-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got one in my 2005 Verada. No difference during the day, but then I got the windows tinted (side and rear). No problem with dazzling lights any more, and it looks totally cooool.
Old 24-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

NZ XR6 said ...You could always fit a manual dipping mirror Yep, had thought of following that path. Wonder which is cheaper...mirror or rear tint...suspect latter.

Has anyone been sufficiently aggravated to try this out?
Or am I in the (very) minority who actually has the new fangled technology.

As for DRLs following,...any and all, especially HSVs it seems (truly, really)
Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Fishman

Default Re: Auto Self Dimming Internal rear view mirror - effectiveness?

I've got the auto dimming mirror. Cool at night, but I haven't come across your problem in the 2 days I've had mine. I also have tint on mine.
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd expect that the circuitry controlling the auto headlights also controls the mirror (or is there a sensor pointing rearwards in the mirror frame?), and since that sensor is behind the the mirror and points at the sky I wouldn't expect following headlights to have much effect.

In my case my left arm is still working so I can flip the tab if it is too bad, but I'm betting there is no tab on the auto-dimming version?

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The MC Rear mirror is better then the MB.. Must be because the MC doesnt have any tint at all???

The dont have a tab on the cars fitted with the auto mirror.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD
I'd expect that the circuitry controlling the auto headlights also controls the mirror (or is there a sensor pointing rearwards in the mirror frame?), and since that sensor is behind the the mirror and points at the sky I wouldn't expect following headlights to have much effect.
I'm pretty sure there's a sensor in the mirror surround - as it only darkens when there are headlights behind you, that's the whole idea
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Yes (or at least No), No tab to flip mirror.
Sensor is in the face (it seems), but somewhat under the housing for the power sunroof switches. And there is another sensor on the windscreen side, but that might be for the auto headlights.
(Knowledgeable Ford-dealer type people care to comment - need to check wiring diagram / workshop manual.)
Car has no rear tint....yet.

Pity, it is the one unliveable big problem with the car.....grrrrrr
Old 05-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Yes (or at least No), No tab to flip mirror.
Sensor is in the face (it seems), but somewhat under the housing for the power sunroof switches. And there is another sensor on the windscreen side, but that might be for the auto headlights.
(Knowledgeable Ford-dealer type people care to comment - need to check wiring diagram / workshop manual.)
Car has no rear tint....yet.

The XR5's have that factory blue tint..

As i said the Titanium ive been driving seems to have a better mirror, and it has no bluetint.

Mirror itself looks the same...

The Mrs wants a new Titanium Diesel now to replace her 9,000 km XR5 :( lol.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Sorry but my previous comment wasn't expressed accurately.

I'm suspecting that there is some software that controls the mirror dimmming function and it might be of the <If ... then..> kind ie <If exterior light sensor=dark, then mirror dimming function=on>.

So at night the sensor pointing rearwards will control the dimming function.

However its a "horses for courses" situation as if I had such functionality, and it kept changing the reflective properties of a mirror in my peripheral field of view, I would find it a distraction I could do without. (But I detest those Daytime Running LEDs, without any fog to disperse the light they are too intensely bright )

Manufacturers are tending towards too much complication in modern cars, in my view, and I could do without many of the features that are available, but if you want a particular level of interior appointments then you get them whether or not you want them.

A penalty of being a small market and FoA options the Mondeos that we get to a particular spec at each level and that's what we get to buy...

Still a great car though.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post