Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-05-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
ipn
Ford Escape ZA 3.0L V6

Cool I Have a Good Idea

Increase the registration costs by around 100 bucks .

For all those taxpayer funded Holden and Fords in the necessary years of manufacture that were "australian built and made" over the years , over all those years what did us taxpayers fork out to keep those things on the road 500mil total? more? , remember all those bribe's (in a whiny sound> give us money or we'll leave) .

I say increase the rego and lets re-coup my tax money and get it back into the coffers of the government so i can sleep at night , nightmares of all those GM/ford american yobs driving around funded by the people taxpayers at our expense .

I reckon .

ps- and that is not including all those tax perks/breaks they got and the national inquiry into how much actually went back to america .

Buy Australian Ha Ha ha .

Paul .
Old 17-05-2018, 01:26 AM   #2
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: I Have a Good Idea

What the Australian government gave in subsidies to our local car industry was very modest compared to what governments in Europe, the US and Canada have given their car makers, even when you take into consideration the amount of subsidies compared to cars produced and per capita.

Have a read of this article;

FactCheck: do other countries subsidise their car industry more than we do?
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2018, 02:35 AM   #3
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
I don't understand what you are upset about. I think it was great that there were some assistance from the government to produce cars locally.

If you look at FG production numbers from 2008 to 2015 it seems to total at about 150.000 sedans (I didn't count the utes). That is a miniscule production for a car model, with its high development cost.

I can't understand how Ford made any money when you look at development cost, manufacturing cost, sales numbers and finance cost for the investment.

I don't have actual numbers, but just guessing;
FG Development cost $ 700 million ?
Average sales price for a Falcon approx. $30.000 each,
Minus materials, subcontractor components and labour Maybe $20.000 for each car?
That would leave a possible gross total from production of 150.000 units * $ 10.000, which equals $1.5 billion.
Now subtract the development cost and finance cost for that, At least $700 million,
The result looks to have been no real profit. Probably true losses.
At least it gave local engineering, local subcontractors, local jobs, and a feeling of 'Made in Australia'.

It would perhaps have been a better business model to run a local manufacturing line of an overseas model, that way there wouldn't have been the huge development cost.
However, as said in the article above, the cost of manufacturing in Australia may be 4 times higher than in Thailand or other low cost countries. Therefore if it was a less desirable product with less local patriotism, it may not have sold as much as the Falcon numbers did.
Rest in peace Falcon, and thanks to the manufacturer for putting in the effort over the years.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
leesa

IMPO it all comes back to the housing industry, it has truly ****ed this country.

Previously a labour job was still plenty enough to buy a house and have a family, but not anymore and so the cost of labour goes up. Now many other industries can't afford the labour to build the product they're selling and so that other industry goes bust and offshores.
It's not the fault of the industry who can't afford the labour, it's not the fault of the labourers who are just trying to work so they can buy a house to live in, it's the fault of the country who decided and supported the idea of making housing a profitable industry.

It's not just labour either, the cost of everything goes up. Farmers want a house to live in, accountants want a house to live in, tradespeople want a house (many?) to live in, teachers, designers, everyone... every industry, every company has to get more expensive to support that model.

People seem to think it's great that they're profiting so much from housing but look at the knock-on effects? You can't prop up one industry without the others having to go up, so expensive houses just means expensive fuel/electricity/food and everything else needed to live.

You should never be able to profit from people just putting a roof over their heads. I wish we could rewind 30 years and prevent it from happening, and instead encourage manufacturing/trades/services/farming within the country instead.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

This link has the recommended retail prices for the FGX range of Falcons etc & what savings over the previous FG range -

https://m.drive.com.au/motor-news/20...25-10m5kh.html

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

And then there is South Korea that artificially depresses its car manufacturing wage costs and thus their manufacturers' prices here by jailing Union Leaders. See:
https://sigtur.com/latest-stories/ko...n-leaders.html
https://www.europe-solidaire.org/spip.php?article38378
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...labour-leader/
https://medium.com/workers-voice-oec...s-f5930afdebb7
https://www.workers.org/2016/07/28/f...-labor-leader/
https://www.amwu.org.au/south_korea_..._union_leaders
etc etc
Old 17-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Increase rego to recoup taxes paid?

Are you sure this is a 'good idea'?
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a better idea. Increase the cost of overseas funding to Australia's banks that lend into our bloated, distorted housing market, let the mad capital misallocations adjust, and then relaunch a more balanced economy from the ashes.

The beautiful thing is this is already happening. Go go go you overseas rates!
Old 17-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So...you want your tax "repaid"...but want to pay more tax?

Depending on state, rego costs are already stupid, aroumd $900 for my XR8...are you saying i should be paying $1000 a year for rego?

What about other industries that receive tax cuts/gov funding?

Have you put much thought into this?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep thats $100 each car per year that could get spent in the real economy on things like services from family owned small businesses...

Nikked it can not be too long until your XR8 is eligible for club rego? The costs of rego go down quite a bit. Sprint gets that early next year.
Old 17-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like an oxymoron.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #12
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you put much thought into this?

I would say obviously none at all. Pay more in rego to give the Govco more revenue for money they have already invested and that we would never see again. Maybe he's a politician.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #13
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Yep thats $100 each car per year that could get spent in the real economy on things like services from family owned small businesses...

Nikked it can not be too long until your XR8 is eligible for club rego? The costs of rego go down quite a bit. Sprint gets that early next year.
14 years...2032 for club rego...on my XR8.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 17-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #14
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the reason local production had to cease was too many people were driving around 15 year old imported Ford Mazdas? Maybe instead of complaining, buy a car which benefitted from this funding instead of the suggestion that rego prices should increase.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #15
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipn View Post

For all those taxpayer funded Holden and Fords in the necessary years of manufacture that were "australian built and made" over the years , over all those years what did us taxpayers fork out to keep those things on the road 500mil total? more? , remember all those bribe's (in a whiny sound> give us money or we'll leave) .

I say increase the rego and lets re-coup my tax money and get it back into the coffers of the government so i can sleep at night , nightmares of all those GM/ford american yobs driving around funded by the people taxpayers at our expense .

I reckon .

ps- and that is not including all those tax perks/breaks they got and the national inquiry into how much actually went back to america .

Paul .
Rego and ctp already cost me an arm and a leg. I already did my bit by buying a Falcon.
Also, Rego goes to the state who weren't paying the manufacturers.

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #16
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about the Greeny Lycra brigade? how will you tax them?
Old 17-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Op has to be trolling, cause no one could be that dumb.

Does Op realise those manufacturers paid tax, and all the employees too? While those employees and manufacturers pumped money back into the economy.

Last edited by GasoLane; 17-05-2018 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Should know better.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #18
ipn
Ford Escape ZA 3.0L V6

Not many took a liking to my excellent idea to recoup some money off those taxpayer funded parasitic vehikkles i gather .

Lets instead help out the Banks with taxpayer funds over the years and then sit back and watch the banks Rip us normal people off blind , or has such a thing already happened Ha ha ha ...No ? really ? Ha ha ha

Same goes for those american manufacture'ers , So what the fools invested x amount to build something , if the fools developed a business model and it flopped i find it obnoxious that the taxpayer has to fund/substitute/pay for the said fools enterprise , it should have died a long time ago and good riddance .

They can go and crawl back under their rock from whence they came i reckon .

Good riddance i say , remove the parasites on society and let the real world develop as it should .

$100 is letting you taxpayer taxpayers off lightly , who cares what your total bill is , pay-up! , , now that your macho aussie's cars are now defunct , then left the country after taking money not to , then left taking all the money and then left you with a can of garbage in which the taxpayer has supported all along your sense of macho heroizm , i say payup .

The non american GM/FORD people should take note next time when driving around , next time you see one on the road with some joker sitting there behind the wheel with it's nose up in the air driving around in the "Aussie car" , we paid for some of that ! , they're actually worse than a dedicated Dole Bludger imo ..

Paul ...
Old 18-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

You drive an imported Escape, that was taxed to a tune of $6000 via Tarriffs and Stamp duty...think about that.

Now think about this:

Over 12 years ford received funding of 1.1 billion, 87.8 million a year...$2372 per car.

Depending on state, you'll be paying between $800-2000 in stamp duty...so lets say $1600 average.

That leaves around $772 of the funding not returned yet...

Luckily, arformentioned tarriffs and motor vehicle taxes help cover that loss...

Don't forget, Ford, its workers, suppliers and transport network also pay tax...

The government loans were well and truly paid back...without having to sting people even more to own a car.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Not many took a liking to my excellent idea to recoup some money off those taxpayer funded parasitic vehikkles i gather .

Lets instead help out the Banks with taxpayer funds over the years and then sit back and watch the banks Rip us normal people off blind , or has such a thing already happened Ha ha ha ...No ? really ? Ha ha ha

Same goes for those american manufacture'ers , So what the fools invested x amount to build something , if the fools developed a business model and it flopped i find it obnoxious that the taxpayer has to fund/substitute/pay for the said fools enterprise , it should have died a long time ago and good riddance .

They can go and crawl back under their rock from whence they came i reckon .

Good riddance i say , remove the parasites on society and let the real world develop as it should .

$100 is letting you taxpayer taxpayers off lightly , who cares what your total bill is , pay-up! , , now that your macho aussie's cars are now defunct , then left the country after taking money not to , then left taking all the money and then left you with a can of garbage in which the taxpayer has supported all along your sense of macho heroizm , i say payup .

The non american GM/FORD people should take note next time when driving around , next time you see one on the road with some joker sitting there behind the wheel with it's nose up in the air driving around in the "Aussie car" , we paid for some of that ! , they're actually worse than a dedicated Dole Bludger imo ..

Paul ...
Perhaps you should cut back on the Red Cordial?
Old 18-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #21
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

vehikkles
Old 18-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #22
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I want what he's smoking.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #23
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have internet access at asylums these days ???
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:

I reckon .

Paul .
Dont you mean increased taxes on certain imported vehicles were the manufacturer pays the $100 bucks extra instead of you & everyone else in the community paying more at rego time? Just wondering..

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #25
leesa

Just another old yapper thinking the younger generation are to blame for the country's problems and that the best solution is to bleed more money out of them.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #26
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
They have internet access at asylums these days ???
The internet is an asylum.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #27
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
IMPO it all comes back to the housing industry, it has truly ****ed this country. You should never be able to profit from people just putting a roof over their heads. I wish we could rewind 30 years and prevent it from happening, and instead encourage manufacturing/trades/services/farming within the country instead.
The Government is 100% responsible for this situation. Every year, our massively over governed workforce increases in numbers & they continue to demand higher wages & more benefits each year and as a result of that, the creation of more taxes is the only way they know how to raise money. That the various states have sold of virtually all their utilities, roads & public transport is nothing short of a disgrace. The lack of vision is astounding & that each side turns a blind eye to the others decisions to do this shows they are all equally culpable. Our tiny population cannot continue to support this continuing attitude. Where does the money come from when there are no more power stations to sell off? Until we demand more from the people who we elect to serve us, nothing will change. Looking at some of the more progressive European countries proves there is viable alternatives to many of the big issues facing us but until we demand an end to the current age of 'self entitlement', nothing will change. Two examples of this are the huge increases in salaries to the elec & gas providers and all the thievery that has recently been uncovered by the banks & investment co's like AMP etc.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #28
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tax payers funded $250 million to the Australia Sports Commission (Athletes, Coaches, administrators) last year.

I certainly got a lot more out of the auto industry in this country then I did the ASC.

I advocate we open up the global market for the sports industry as well as the car market.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #29
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
The Government is 100% responsible for this situation. Every year, our massively over governed workforce increases in numbers & they continue to demand higher wages & more benefits each year and as a result of that, the creation of more taxes is the only way they know how to raise money. That the various states have sold of virtually all their utilities, roads & public transport is nothing short of a disgrace. The lack of vision is astounding & that each side turns a blind eye to the others decisions to do this shows they are all equally culpable. Our tiny population cannot continue to support this continuing attitude. Where does the money come from when there are no more power stations to sell off? Until we demand more from the people who we elect to serve us, nothing will change. Looking at some of the more progressive European countries proves there is viable alternatives to many of the big issues facing us but until we demand an end to the current age of 'self entitlement', nothing will change. Two examples of this are the huge increases in salaries to the elec & gas providers and all the thievery that has recently been uncovered by the banks & investment co's like AMP etc.

Your 100 percent correct
boss351290 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #30
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I smell hulk

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: