Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What's the point of mandatory sentencing...

if some soft headed, hand wringing bleeding heart ex defence lawyer who's now a judge will let people off.
This was a despicable act by 2 druggy's (with mental issues, gee I wonder why that is) who bashed a paramedic whilst working on someone.
Sorry, but this just gets my blood boiling, look at them laughing afterwards.
Community service orders? For this? feral scum.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-jail-by-judge
Old 15-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What's the point of mandatory sentencing...

Magistrates do not appear to live in the real world, I don't care what childhood issues the offender had, I want to see them in prison.

I hope the prosecutor appeal the sentence, I can not get my head around how these magistrates think, the sentences are supposed to reflect community expectations.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

If they were blokes - very likely in the clink they go imo, no ifs or buts, sorry..Those women are getting off pretty lightly imo, everyone these days has a story to tell but..

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t know why people are surprised. In this country somebody has to die before anything gets done about issues like this. And even then it’s a token gesture half the time.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I don’t know why people are surprised. In this country somebody has to die before anything gets done about issues like this. And even then it’s a token gesture half the time.
Yeah seem to see more and more of the same offences with the same limp wristed penalty. Would be interesting to see the sentence if one of the old judges mates got a bit of a touch up.BUT rip the taxation dept off for a few grand and straight into the cooler for a couple of years.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
if some soft headed, hand wringing bleeding heart ex defence lawyer who's now a judge will let people off.
This was a despicable act by 2 druggy's (with mental issues, gee I wonder why that is) who bashed a paramedic whilst working on someone.
Sorry, but this just gets my blood boiling, look at them laughing afterwards.
Community service orders? For this? feral scum.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-jail-by-judge
Bad as it is i have to say why post a thread about this particular incident when worse has been going on for decades.No offense but as i said.
Old 15-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Bad as it is i have to say why post a thread about this particular incident when worse has been going on for decades.No offense but as i said.
I'm sure jaydee feels the same as most on controversial issues today, he probably chose this one especially as to who the perpetrators actually were gender wise?

You are absolutely right though 98TLS, a lot worse is going on atm & for ages also but our beloved msm is very quiet some of the time..

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 15-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep then there is the ratbag who kicked a cop in the head a few months back ,already having a long record for robbery and assault he was let of again yep kick a cop in the face and now new assaults.These ungrateful scum need to be jailed and or deported .

Last edited by GasoLane; 15-05-2018 at 09:12 PM.
kazawaki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
No offence taken mate, my point was more though that this Judge in her wisdom went contrary to the mandatory sentencing laws for assaulting a public officer, a couple of defenceless ambos doing their job and let this rabble walk.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2018, 11:47 PM   #10
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Rule 303....

Ed
Old 16-05-2018, 12:04 AM   #11
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute View Post
Rule 303....Ed
Let's not get started on that one too - 2 Australian Army officers shot by British firing squad - just for doing their job.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #12
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well there you go - I always thought I knew the definition of 'mandatory' but apparently not.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #13
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
If they were blokes - very likely in the clink they go imo, no ifs or buts, sorry..Those women are getting off pretty lightly imo, everyone these days has a story to tell but..

cheers, Maka
Yep, it's commonly known as a "pussy pass"
Old 16-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I take crims to court all the time and have to sit there and listen to the crap spewed forth by defense lawyers to try and lessen the punishment imposed by judges and magistrates, utter lies that cannot be substantiated or verified but taken as gospel by the magistrate.

I'm all for sending them all to gaol for long periods to act as a personal and general deterrence. When one gaol is full, build another, it's a growth industry. Jobs for construction companies to build, jobs for screws and health professionals, jobs for educators and program providers.
Old 16-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #15
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the way it have been going for years.

Someone mistook me for the drug dealer 2 doors up and tried to run me down when I was walking home as it just got dark.
Cops could not care less, but the drug dealer is a informant so he is let loose to sell 24/7 around our streets.

I have seen Ambos get kicked in the head and there was say 50 people standing around watching it and they did nothing at all, I tried to get the little moron but he ran off ducking and weaving through the crowd, if I did catch him and just held him to be dealt with by the Law, I am sure I would of got the wrong end of the stick by the Law.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
That's the way it have been going for years.

Someone mistook me for the drug dealer 2 doors up and tried to run me down when I was walking home as it just got dark.
Cops could not care less, but the drug dealer is a informant so he is let loose to sell 24/7 around our streets.

I have seen Ambos get kicked in the head and there was say 50 people standing around watching it and they did nothing at all, I tried to get the little moron but he ran off ducking and weaving through the crowd, if I did catch him and just held him to be dealt with by the Law, I am sure I would of got the wrong end of the stick by the Law.
We had a piece of scum that whilst the ambulance was at his town camp treating one of his relatives, he stole the ambulance and went on a joy ride and trashed it. $100k down the toilet. Numerous ambulances here get busted windows from the poor misunderstood little darlings that think it's fun to throw rocks at cars. I just wish if it happens to me I panic and hit the accelerator and run 20 of them over.
Old 16-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Must appeal this.

Mandatory means mandatory, not ocassionally.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #18
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Yep, it's commonly known as a "pussy pass"
I thought so, I'm all for gender equality but this sort of stuff quietly undermines it imo.

MANdatory says it all in this situation lol

cheers, Maka

Old 16-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #19
wackyv8
wackyv8

manditory except for "special reasons" .

Judge Cotterell said she did not think Warren or Underwood were "suitable vehicles" for general deterrence and said the difficult childhoods they had constituted "special reasons".

Details about the women's past cannot be published for legal reasons, but judge Cotterell found Warren suffered from a mental illness and had impaired mental function.

She also said Underwood, who was 18 at the time of the assault, had a lowered psychosocial immaturity linked to her traumatic childhood.

The pair were drunk when they assaulted Mr Judd in Reservoir in 2016, who was attending a drug-affected patient.

Two years on, the 63-year-old continues to live with pain.

Mr Judd wiped away tears as another paramedic comforted him in court, while colleague Chenaye Bentley, who witnessed the attack, sat next to him.

The victim was repeatedly punched and left with a broken foot while he and a colleague tried to treat an unconscious man at Reservoir on March 31, 2016.

The paramedic of more than 40 years needed three operations and has been unable to return to work.

Judge Cotterell apologised to Mr Judd after re-sentencing Warren to a three-year community corrections order, while Underwood was given a two-year order.

"I'm really sorry and can see that you are badly affected," she told him.

"I just want to say I wish there was more I could do for you.

"I can tell that you are suffering and feel that a great injustice has been done."

so now you can get ****ed,seriously assault an ambo who is treating someone, and the sentence is a corrections order ,i wonder what that entails but it does not indeed sound like justice.
thank you for your 40 years of service Mr.Judd.
wackyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

There's change.org petition to overturn this outcome. See https://www.change.org/p/daniel-andr...7259818&jb=568
Old 16-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyv8 View Post
manditory except for "special reasons"
Yeah I'm not quite sure how the judge got away with that. According to this page

Offences That Cannot Receive a Community Correction Order

The Victorian Government has passed legislation limiting the courts’ use of non-custodial orders for two classes of serious offences described as ‘Category 1’ offences and ‘Category 2’ offences.

A court cannot impose a community correction order (or another non-custodial order) for the following Category 1 offences where the offence was committed on or after 20 March 2017:

causing serious injury intentionally in circumstances of gross violence
causing serious injury recklessly in circumstances of gross violence
Old 16-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a load of absolute bull****!

Apart from the obvious, this hardly encourages people into a profession which is already difficult enough knowing if you get assaulted doing your job to help people, there is possibly no justice for it.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #23
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
I take crims to court all the time and have to sit there and listen to the crap spewed forth by defense lawyers to try and lessen the punishment imposed by judges and magistrates, utter lies that cannot be substantiated or verified but taken as gospel by the magistrate.

I'm all for sending them all to gaol for long periods to act as a personal and general deterrence. When one gaol is full, build another, it's a growth industry. Jobs for construction companies to build, jobs for screws and health professionals, jobs for educators and program providers.
Assuming your a prison officer, I would expect you to have a strong opinion. Building more prisons is no answer and anybody who has been to one would agree as the word rehabilitation is 100% BS. Nearly every person sent away needs to be released one day. Where should they all live? Looking at the reasons kids go off the rails will make everybody's life easier as prevention is better than the cure every time. Young unemployed people having children creates a lot of issues, continuing unemployment, drugs, alcohol, violence & crime are just some of the problems. Kids need education & job prospects sure, but without a decent self esteem which comes from the home, it is often all too difficult. Anybody who has lived in or near housing commision areas will know how tough it can be.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #24
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

There are and always have been simplistic solutions offered on both sides of this argument. I just know that whilst in goal, they are usually not "doing it again".

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #25
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in my day we had the cane at School and if you got into trouble with the police you could cop it over the head with the phone book if you were trying to be smart with them, I seen it done to a mate and another mate said he was sat in the middle of the room and coped turtle pecks on the head as 3 of them walked around him for being 16 and driving without a lic and overtaking on double white lines over a hill.
The cops were taking things seriously back in the days and all people knew you had to tow the like or else and this worked wonders.
Cops would say I have my eye on you and would say they may just take to polishing their boot on your tail if you keep playing the idiot.

Remember the good old days of the Gut ! with Paul Hogan and that show with the copper called Bluey a little fat bugger driving them Valiant's around flat out.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #26
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
There are and always have been simplistic solutions offered on both sides of this argument. I just know that whilst in goal, they are usually not "doing it again".
On the other side of the coin they are learning to "do it better" next time.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #27
sixman

If a paramedic or nurse makes an error they are likely to get sued.
Judges are a special bread who bare no consequences for their actions....
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #28
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixman View Post
Judges are a special bread who bare no consequences for their actions....
I think you mean Judges are a special breed who bear no consequences etc
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #29
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixman View Post

Medical "professionals" injure people all the time.

They are almost immune from any repercussions.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2018, 11:04 PM   #30
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
Let's not get started on that one too - 2 Australian Army officers shot by British firing squad - just for doing their job.
Yep. It makes me spew.

Ed