Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #91
MercuryT
Banned

Default Re: Formula 1 - interest you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Q. How do you make a small fortune from motor racing?

A. Start with a large fortune.

It is a marketing exercise.
Ok I might be wrong.

I'm not disagreeing either.

So you're suggesting not the best rather other factors like income etc etc. To me it's a rich sport - have a very good example.

I'll keep names quiet.

Last edited by MercuryT; 22-05-2020 at 07:03 PM.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #92
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Those into F1 (which is great) can you please advise.

Do the manufacturers make money off it with sponsors etc, or is purely just money spent to impress buyers of regard cars as a marketing exercise?
While some is marketing there is a lot of research and development that does filter through to other areas not least their road cars. F1 tech finds its way in to a lot of industries.
Old 22-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #93
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
While some is marketing there is a lot of research and development that does filter through to other areas not least their road cars. F1 tech finds its way in to a lot of industries.
Thank you.I have no doubt the technology filters down.

But again.

You think Ferrari directly make money off F1?

My view is they make great money which means need F1 even at a (inconsequential) loss.
Old 22-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #94
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Sure technology filters down to OE's etc - I wonder IF the Team/company that is the one who perfect it patent it ? is there a royalty paid for x time ? be interesting to know.

My take most teams started from X person like a Enzo, Ken Tyrell, Bruce McLaren and the likes from passion, the rest just ballons due to needing funds to compete thanks to sponsers, then the like of a Bernie sees the capital to be made and submits a global commercial plan that Teams join in due to revenue made from the cuts agreed.
Sponsers, most are involved for like the original Team owners have a passion for motor racing and love being part of it and use their tenticles to enhance business branding and growth through promotions to their field/s.
Do Teams make money ? just as real football the mighty strong ones like Real Madrid/Barca/Man United Liverpool do in one area especially - merchandising for one.
Ferrari/MB/RB obviously sell a motza globally.
The rest just comes down to how much money the Team owner has himself and willing to pour in and what they can draw in via sponsers to survive.

Some facts below
A teams' revenue generally comes from three sources. The first is sponsorship and this is fuelled by F1's huge television audience which came to 352.3 million 2018. ... Sponsorship comprises around a third of the revenue with another third split between drivers who pay to race and funding from team owners

The other thing its a Industry upon itself no, employs many people - maybe too many as covid has exposed to alot of business today, especially in sporting wages and the depth of hangers on getting paid that once upon at time wasn't seen as needed back in the earlier days. For eg, Hamilton probably employs a brader for his hair, a stylist that I would sack and the person responsible for his tweets/twats and ****erism

Here's a recent article on re starting covid life and its complications, I expect also they must be wondering how to pay all this without gate takings/daily merch sales etcetcetc, probably Fox and the likes will be asked to increase their monthly fees to us minions for I expect alot more eople will be willing to switch on to watch sport for countless around the world are starved for it lol.......

https://www.espn.com.au/f1/story/_/i...w-exactly-work
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2020, 10:59 PM   #95
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Quality post.

I'll concede on my assertion as yes you make great points.

I still think being in the best car can flatter certain drivers, but I guess to get that ride you've done something special previously in a different category (or in a low performing F1 car above expectations)
correct b0son made some good points.

Just from my perspective, you quoted they are "pinnacles"....
Maybe not the right description, more so they are racing in the "pinnacle" of motor sport.
Is it though ? to some yes, mm's from the ground and the record for highest speed set in 2019 goes to Alexander Albon, in Azerbaijan, with a top speed of 354.6 kph (or, 220.3 mph)......
You got to have balls eh.
Some may say its WRC ? I so admire these guys as well and you can go on and on but I suppose F1 has always had that "glamour" gladiator DNA from the good ol days and TBH imo those guys had the biggest balls due to no safety as was finally insitgated by Jackie Stewart. He got sick of seeing mates/fellow drivers burn/die etcetc.....
Now we come to the bought drive, young Lance Stroll is the classic case.
b0son mentioned those make it by proving in open wheeler catergrys.
Absolutley thats the guide BUT is every open wheeler coming through the ranks going to be a gun in a F1 car ? specifically in a one of the top 3 cars ?
Stroll is there because Dad ended up buying a Team, nothing more or less.
He wouldn't cut it in Max's RB or CLC Ferrari let alone the best hamiltons MB.
Some just won't make it period - Pierre Gasly experienced this the year before last.
Gets into a RB seat and just wasn't fast enough - 2013 2016 he won 2 formula series so he showed he could do it but NOT in the big game.
So not everyone will expose the best from a top car, and he got to experience his limitations under the pump I guess, there is only so few who do and can as its been proven for decades.
Schumi proved it in the (he got known and called as the Rain King) wet countless times and the previous King Senna, rounding up drivers way ahead of his experience a wet Monaco in 84, only few can do it even in middle to back packer cars - he was in a toleman that day, a team that had not even won a podium in their 70 races in the game.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by FTE217; 22-05-2020 at 11:16 PM.
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #96
MercuryT
Banned

Fantastic post ^.

Be interesting how the virus hurts their industry......