Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
SR781
Starter Motor

Default LZ Focus Water Pump leaking?????????

Hi car was at the dealer today and it has 87000 k/s and was told water pump is leaking, anyone else had this happen??
SR781 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2021, 12:01 AM   #2
SR781
Starter Motor

Default Re: LZ Focus Water Pump leaking?????????

Quoted $1800 to replace water pump and do timing belt
Old 18-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would expect waterpumps to last 8-10 years. but wise to do the belt at same time as it saves labour since the covers must come off for either job
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
SR781
Starter Motor

I agree to do both but the Dealer is quoting $1800 and will not give me a break down of the quote, i have checked parts prices and they are around $430, so $1370 seems a lot for labour???? Warranty time allows for 3.2hrs to do the pump so you would allow maybe 5hrs and to do the belt by itself with seals is 3.7hrs so maybe add another 2hrs to the pump replacement at 5hrs, 7hrs to do the whole job
Old 18-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR781 View Post
I agree to do both but the Dealer is quoting $1800 and will not give me a break down of the quote, i have checked parts prices and they are around $430, so $1370 seems a lot for labour???? Warranty time allows for 3.2hrs to do the pump so you would allow maybe 5hrs and to do the belt by itself with seals is 3.7hrs so maybe add another 2hrs to the pump replacement at 5hrs, 7hrs to do the whole job
Try a few other places for quotes, dealers aren't exactly famous for the lowest repair prices.

Our local (former) Holden dealer charge $170ph
Old 18-09-2021, 12:20 PM   #6
SR781
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Try a few other places for quotes, dealers aren't exactly famous for the lowest repair prices.

Our local (former) Holden dealer charge $170ph
The Dealer was the first point for a quote, they reckon they are trying to get Ford assistance but when i contacted Ford they have no record of any request
Old 18-09-2021, 12:57 PM   #7
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

If its any help, I can get you genuine water pump/gasket for $150, timing belt kit (belt and tensioner) for $140, and $80 for 5L of coolant concentrate plus say $20 for postage if required. No better way then to upset them by supplying parts so they loose their cut..
GTLEGEND is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #8
SR781
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
If its any help, I can get you genuine water pump/gasket for $150, timing belt kit (belt and tensioner) for $140, and $80 for 5L of coolant concentrate plus say $20 for postage if required. No better way then to upset them by supplying parts so they loose their cut..
Hi thanks for the offer i have an account with REPCO but i would use the Ford parts for the Warranty side of it, if i supplied the parts and something failed the dealer would not want to know about it, they wipe their hands pretty quick these days of any responsibility
Old 21-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
SR781
Starter Motor

The Stealership revised the quote and itemised it they charge $210 an hour, about $1260 labour so they work for six hours and thats more that i earn in a week
Old 21-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #10
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
The Stealership revised the quote and itemised it they charge $210 an hour, about $1260 labour so they work for six hours and thats more that i earn in a week
I would shop around a few dealers. how old is the car from date of sale?
Old 21-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #11
SR781
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
I would shop around a few dealers. how old is the car from date of sale?
Hi the dealers i was able to get through to are around $205 an hour

The car is just over five years old, always Ford serviced

I have contacted the FORD Customer Assistance centre after lodging a request and i missed two calls back from them as they call you back and hang up and if a message is left they speak so fast you cannot work out who called you, i have called the FORD Customer area 7 times in three days
Old 23-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #12
SR781
Starter Motor

I did lodge a request with Ford to try for some type of assistance, but when they get back to you the phone only rings a couple of times and they hang up on you, trying to contact someone at FORD customer service is like trying to arrange an appointment with the Prime Minister, even the Fair Trading person agreed that FORD do not reply and they are extremely hard to contact

FORD came up with all the excuses and rejected my request
Old 23-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #13
SR781
Starter Motor

Just an update, i have inspected the water pump area and it has green coolant on it after it was serviced at the dealer, but the car from new has RED coolant in the system and has not used any coolant
Old 23-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #14
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just an update, i have inspected the water pump area and it has green coolant on it after it was serviced at the dealer, but the car from new has RED coolant in the system and has not used any coolant
Are you sure its coolant? AC gas has a green ultra violet dye in it also and in some vehicles so does the engine oil.
Old 23-10-2021, 04:48 PM   #15
SR781
Starter Motor

Definitely not A/C gas, but the original dealer one of their Mechanics got smart and loosen the low pressure valve a few years ago, plus there are no A/C Pipes in the water pump area
Old 11-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #16
MarkkyMark
Starter Motor

Go see Matt at Elite Brake and Mechanical, tell him I sent you if you want ;)

Sorry old, post doh

Daily Tesla and Focus ST for weekend fun
(and no I didnt want the RS from new)
Fully built Engine & Gearbox, LSD, 4 Point Torsion Bard, 4 Port Aux Fuel, Ethanol tuned, Coilovers, EFR turbo yada yada >300kw

Last edited by MarkkyMark; 11-12-2021 at 01:37 PM. Reason: old post
MarkkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #17
SR781
Starter Motor

Not sure if this allowed bit i purchased a genuine Ford water pump and belt now i do not need it so i am looking to sell them if anyone is interested