Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
MercuryT
Banned

Default Coffee

Hi all.
Down here in Tassie noone cares about Coffee or it's "standard".

My various workplaces are tea or water.

Yet I hear Victorians in particular "love" Coffee, and part of their lifestyle and fussy etc.

Is it true or not?

Even McDonald's have a current Ad saying Australians "love their coffee" yet I know not one person who even cares the slightest bit about Coffee?
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-09-2021, 07:31 PM   #2
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 
Default Re: Coffee

Yeah coffee drinking has become a big thing, the cafe culture and all that, its a social activity, similar to having drinks at a pub I suppose, but generally a morning thing. Melbourne strongly influenced by Italian, Greek and other coffee drinking cultures. The funny thing is many often rave on about being really fussy about their coffee, but they drink latte! "Latte" is for kids, or for breakfast. Its equivalent to someone pretending to be a wine connoisseur, and drinking only fine wines, then adding lemonade to it.

Last edited by AMB; 03-09-2021 at 07:37 PM.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #3
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You won't get it until you've been in it.

Many years ago when I first started working in an office, I would drink freeze dried coffee that most workplaces provide free in the kitchen. To me, it was just coffee. The more experienced members of the team would never touch it, and would head out for coffee runs 2-3 times a day, to me, on a graduate income, it was just a waste of $10-12 every day.

Not exactly sure how it started, but I did start to join them later on, I think more for the social reasons. And the more "real" coffee you drank, the more you realise how bad freeze dried coffee was. From there, you move on to "oh this shop is better than that"....and before you know it, you become a coffee snob

Melbourne coffee is bloody good. You don't realise how good it is until you live away. What makes it good? Is it the beans? The beans come from all over the world, I don't think we grow our own, so it can't be that. Is it the way its roasted? Is it the way its made? I dunno. Its just different to other places.

The McDonalds coffee here are pretty darn good too, and I think they use trained baristas.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Yea you guys in Tassie need to catch up with mainland Australia; does all your shops still close at 6.00pm?
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #5
Pis-ton broke
Banned

can you still marry your sister in tas?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post

mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #7
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perth is big on coffee too, lots of coffee snobs.
I'm a fan, but happy to drink instant at home, but do like one from a mobile van or a coffee shop.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #8
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I was never a coffee or tea drinker until about five years ago. I always loved the smell but just didn't have the taste for it.

I started with instant and transitioned to Nespresso pods, made at work and home. Once I got a taste for the pods, I could not see the point in instant.

This what is offered at work, so no wonder I hate instant -

Of course, once I had gained my coffee adiction and started to know what I liked in Cafe's, the natural progression was to get a coffee machine. And yes, now dislike the pods.

A machine like that takes a while to master though. Each different brand of bean requires a specific grind amount and grind size to get a palatable result. And it has taken me a lot of coffee's to produce something like this -

And it also took a while to find the beans I like. These Mio ones are used in a couple of Cafe's I frequent.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2021, 10:15 PM   #9
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Hi all.
Down here in Tassie noone cares about Coffee or it's "standard".

My various workplaces are tea or water.

Yet I hear Victorians in particular "love" Coffee, and part of their lifestyle and fussy etc.

Is it true or not?

Even McDonald's have a current Ad saying Australians "love their coffee" yet I know not one person who even cares the slightest bit about Coffee?
I do, 3 cups every morning then tea all day, I just have a coffee plunger but it cool, coffee of choice Harris Black No 4, Arabica and satisfying, pretty cheap too!

Use teabags not loose tea, have about 12 cups a day, have 8 different types of tea, my favourite is Twinings Darjeeling Tea, but my go to everyday tea is Nerada Tea, picked 4 times a year, so flavour changes during the year, been drinking it since about 1981, stopped at Innisfail Nth Qld after 18 months in the NT, its grown there, used to be loose only and came in the old style milk carton, even took a tour, lol, pretty cool!

Then of course had to tour the Bundy factory, 3 times lol, oh how my life has changed in 40 years.

Cheers M14X
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2021, 10:22 PM   #10
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
You can marry yourself if the constant inbreeding has turned you into an hermaphrodite!

Cheers M14X
Old 04-09-2021, 12:37 AM   #11
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
She's still waiting on the divorce from his brother
3 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2021, 01:10 AM   #12
prydey
Rob

No matter how big a coffee snob you think you are there is always someone more extreme.

I'm in the category that smiles to myself reading some of the comments on here regarding what some people think is good coffee (maccas? Please no) and even what is good equipment (heat is the enemy of beans so a grinder has no place being packaged inside a coffee machine) but as a member of coffeesnobs.com.au (yes its a thing, and the owner is a multi award winning roaster in Melbourne) I would not be considered even slightly a coffee snob by some of the standards on there.

Having said that, all that matters at the end of the day is that you enjoy what you drink. Nothing else really matters.

Except fresh beans
Old 04-09-2021, 01:26 AM   #13
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
.....Nothing else really matters.

Except fresh beans
Once you add milk to espresso not much matters. Might taste nice (or not), but its still just coffee flavoured milk.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:38 AM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB View Post
Once you add milk to espresso not much matters. Might taste nice (or not), but its still just coffee flavoured milk.
To be fair, coffee is a broad term covering all drinks. No milk = espresso. Add milk and you can have a whole range of drinks.. Piccolo, macchiato, latte etc. All coffee.

Espresso drinkers often fit right at the pointy end of coffee snobbery
Old 04-09-2021, 01:48 AM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I crack a tin of Coke Zero every morning and that is my cofee. Hate the stuff, must be one of few desk jockeys that doesn't like cofee around here
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2021, 02:02 AM   #16
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I do, 3 cups every morning then tea all day, I just have a coffee plunger but it cool, coffee of choice Harris Black No 4, Arabica and satisfying, pretty cheap too!

Use teabags not loose tea, have about 12 cups a day, have 8 different types of tea, my favourite is Twinings Darjeeling Tea, but my go to everyday tea is Nerada Tea, picked 4 times a year, so flavour changes during the year, been drinking it since about 1981, stopped at Innisfail Nth Qld after 18 months in the NT, its grown there, used to be loose only and came in the old style milk carton, even took a tour, lol, pretty cool!

Then of course had to tour the Bundy factory, 3 times lol, oh how my life has changed in 40 years.

Cheers M14X

hmm .. 3 maybe 4 cups of coffee a day [strong & brown not black or white. canna fit anymore coffee on spoon], tea . . . . . 'about' 3/4 cups a day ..... which works out to 6/8 normal cups a day as i don't have a "small" cup. the large cup holds a litre of water ..... takes about 2 hours to drink & not into twinings blah. main is a dilmah black tea with an occasionally a peach flavoured one. they no longer sell the peach/mango i used to drink

the can on the left fits inside the 'cup' next to it. i used to drink from the 'normal' cups but found the drink finished too quick, so upscaled to the red cup on the right & all was gooood. but then i found that i slopped to much of the tea walking to where i was walking .. so upgraded to the middle cup. the larger has been used once, at work
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2021, 02:05 AM   #17
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I crack a tin of Coke Zero every morning and that is my cofee. Hate the stuff, must be one of few desk jockeys that doesn't like cofee around here
Philistine!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2021, 04:19 AM   #18
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No matter how big a coffee snob you think you are there is always someone more extreme.

I'm in the category that smiles to myself reading some of the comments on here regarding what some people think is good coffee (maccas? Please no) and even what is good equipment (heat is the enemy of beans so a grinder has no place being packaged inside a coffee machine) but as a member of coffeesnobs.com.au (yes its a thing, and the owner is a multi award winning roaster in Melbourne) I would not be considered even slightly a coffee snob by some of the standards on there.

Having said that, all that matters at the end of the day is that you enjoy what you drink. Nothing else really matters.

Except fresh beans

Haha you say that, but pour it into an unmarked mug and you'd probably not be able to tell it apart from a lot of the shops ranked "pretty good". But then again I wouldn't exactly classify myself as a coffee snob. Not sure if maccas quality is the same across all states, although I can't imagine what general coffee would be like with SA water

It does remind me of the time I had a visitor from London. Picked her up early in the morning, and we were both desperate for a coffee (now they have some pretty ordinary coffee over there). She was ready for a Melb hit, but I couldn't be assed driving around looking for a shop opened at that hour, so I pulled into the maccas right at the exit of Melb Airport. She yells at me, came all the way over and the first stop is maccas haha. I said stfu and just try it. Priceless reaction. Obviously not the same quality as the boutiques with a fancy name type cafes, but still pretty good.

Best coffee I've had was actually at a friend's house. She is of Italian background, and she made me a coffee from her moka pot. Espresso obviously. Amazing. Not sure what she did, cos I bought a moka pot after that and could never get it the same regardless of how expensive the beans were.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 04-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #19
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Haha you say that, but pour it into an unmarked mug and you'd probably not be able to tell it apart from a lot of the shops ranked "pretty good".
That says more about the shops than it does about maccas, but i agree. I've sampled a few places and very few are anywhere close to what I make at home.

If you follow a few basic principles its not that difficult to make superior coffee at home.

you don't need mega expensive equipment, but there is an element of you get what you pay for, so decent grinders are quite pricey. The grinder is actually more important than the espresso machine.

Once you have the equipment all you need is fresh beans of a flavour that you like. If you drink espresso, beans have a much smaller window of freshness as well. 2 weeks from roast date is getting close to the limit. Once you add milk, its not so critical however most would recommend using beans within 3-4 weeks of roast date.

Do not buy beans from a supermarket. There are plenty of roasters around australia selling very high quality beans.

Once you have your equipment and supplier sorted, then it becomes about technique. This isn't that hard to learn. The 3 main things to learn are grind, dose and tamp. These 3 all go together but should only be adjusted one at a time so you know the effect that change had.

grind = the size of the grounds. Too coarse and it pours too fast. Too fine and it pours too slow. You need to find a sweet spot that achieves approx 30ml in 30sec, give or take.

dose = the amount of ground coffee in the portafilter. Some tampers will have rings around them to act as a guide for consistency. Correct dose should allow about 1mm of space between the top of the puck and the shower screen when the handle is locked in to the espresso machine. An easy way to determine this, is to put a 5c coin on top, lock the handle in, then release and have a look. The coin should not be pushed in but just leave a slight impression in the top of the coffee. Once you have established that, take note of how far in your tamper goes, and don't vary by too much. Its all trial and error.

Tamp = the pressure you push down on the grounds with your tamper. This is probably the one step with the greatest variation in opinion. A friend of mine, who invented Pullman tampers (the best) did numerous tests and found that a pressure of between 5-15kg was ideal. Between those numbers made very little difference. When learning you can tamp on scales to get a feel for it.

It all sounds long winded, but once you get those 3 steps all working in unison to produce that magic 20-30ml in roughly 30sec, then good coffee at home should follow.

If you drink coffee for the taste etc and you regularly buy it, then buying your own equipment can pay for itself in short time. If you drink for the social aspect, then you'll probably end up drinking a lot more coffee

Sorry for long winded post. I do not have expensive equipment as I can't afford it, but I do enjoy the art of making it and trying to teach others as well. My machine is a breville dual boiler (bes920) which has all the features of the best high end machines and is great for domestic duties for those on a tight budget. Its paired with the breville smart grinder, which I can only say 'does the job'. When I win the lottery, that will be getting upgraded, but given I have milk, its not that critical.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #20
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Sorry for long winded post. I do not have expensive equipment as I can't afford it, but I do enjoy the art of making it and trying to teach others as well. My machine is a breville dual boiler (bes920) which has all the features of the best high end machines and is great for domestic duties for those on a tight budget. Its paired with the breville smart grinder, which I can only say 'does the job'. When I win the lottery, that will be getting upgraded, but given I have milk, its not that critical.

Long winded, nah, ÷4÷ is long winded, takes him an essay to say "hello"
In the time it took to read your post, it took same time for me to make coffee, feed the cat, buy morning paper, wash car, put a load of washing on and, have a cup of coffee,

Cheers Billy
Old 04-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #21
prydey
Rob

Here is an AFF coffee thread started 8 years ago...
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...ghlight=coffee
Old 04-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #22
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I grew up on International Rust, so any coffee is good now.

Coffee made in a saucepan and poured from thermos on a freezing cold morning is pretty good.

Speaking of Tasie water, yeah, I heard about that too. Your beer is better than most from this country. And you also have world renowned award winning top shelf scotch.

It's a damn shame that you all lost your virginity to a cousin.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #23
HIPO
Al

Anyone into grinding their own, try Aldi for Lazzio brand beans. Far superior & cheaper than most premium supermarket stuff & roasted in Melbourne...have won a few awards too.
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #24
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Anyone into grinding their own, try Aldi for Lazzio brand beans. Far superior & cheaper than most premium supermarket stuff & roasted in Melbourne...have won a few awards too.
Those are the ones my parents use, and costco.....its not bad.

I go to a shop where the guy roasts his own. Beans come from all parts of the world. He then asks me what I want to use it for, and then will grind it to suit.

Worse coffee ever is Starbucks. I've been to the original factory in Seattle, its always packed, HUGE lines, they have 10000 different types on their menu but they all taste like water.

Rides (past and present)

3 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2021, 12:14 PM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
You won't get it until you've been in it.

Melbourne coffee is bloody good. You don't realise how good it is until you live away. What makes it good? Is it the beans? The beans come from all over the world, I don't think we grow our own, so it can't be that. Is it the way its roasted? Is it the way its made? I dunno. Its just different to other places.
Coming from Sydney, I remember the first time ordering a Soy Mocha in Melbourne and being asked, did I want it Cappuccino style of Latte style. Thought they were taking the p*ss.

In Sydney Mocha is usually served in a glass, guess you would call Latte style.

North East Victoria is regarded as the gourmet region so here places like in Beechworth askes what blend you would like served.
So many good places to have proper coffee but there are some bad ones still selling milky dishwater Vittoria coffee.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #26
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It has to be asked....anyone tried cat **** coffee? Gees, a shot gave me a buzz for the afternoon.

Rides (past and present)

Old 04-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

No, is that like Charcoal coffee that seems to be a thing now.
Or bulletproof Keto coffee made with MCT oil and coconut milk.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #28
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Im with you, can of coke is my heart starter.... never got the coffee fascination
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #29
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Im with you, can of coke is my heart starter.... never got the coffee fascination
Opposite for me, I never got the Coke or Red Bull fascination.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:56 PM   #30
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Opposite for me, I never got the Coke or Red Bull fascination.
Ive made a conscious effort to reduce the coke intake....nearly every morning was not good, these days i can go a couple of weeks without one. I mentioned once in the Bakery thread how much i love a can on the brink of freezing

Never tried a redbull or monster type drink, and cant see a day that will change
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: