Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
askvictor
Starter Motor

Default "Limited Transmission Function" when cold?

Hi everybody,

The last few times I've started my Mondeo (MC, diesel wagon, 200,000+ on the clock) on a cold morning (it's been between 0 and 5 overnight in Melbourne most of the past fortnight), it shows the "Limited Transmission Function" message. It can seemingly still change gears if I drive it a bit more like a manual. It seems to resolve itself after turning off the motor and starting again (I've only done this after 5-odd minutes of driving - I'm guessing this has warmed things up a bit). I have an OBD dongle, but it's not giving me any DTC codes (I'm using Car Scanner Pro on my phone to connect to it).

Any ideas? Car has been serviced according to schedule; most recently about a month ago.
askvictor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: "Limited Transmission Function" when cold?

See https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=6362184
Old 12-07-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
Mondaveo

Default Re: "Limited Transmission Function" when cold?

If you get a message on the dash there ought to be a DTC, although it may clear if the motor is turned off and started again. Try connecting your OBD scanner when the message is present. Look for error codes in the TCM.

I had "Transmission Limited Function" once; it cleared when the engine was restarted. No DTC to be found at later inspection. It never recurred (although I got other transmission weirdness over time and subsequently captured DTCs).

You mentioned the car has been serviced to schedule but are you certain the Powershift fluid change has been done on time and when was it most recently done? (You should be able to know when it's been done because the bill will be $300+ higher...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post