Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 07-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #31
Ibaker
Mondeo MD Titanium Wagon

Default Re: MD Diesel Transmission Woes

GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT....YAHOO...WOOHOO...Looks like they have finally found the problem.

I may be jumping the gun here but my Ford dealer has just called me and said that after looking at the car, reviewing the videos and checking all software and reported codes they have said the the gearbox failures are due to a faulty EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Valve. They have advised that the fault with the valve will present itself after some distance of driving first which explains to me why it happens on my trips like Melb - Syd.

My normal trip between Melb and Syd is always with the cruise control set and the odd times, if my bladder lasts, they may be non stop for the some 900klm trip or most times just one stop for the toilet so the car is not stopping and starting It may also explain why I always got around 6.2 to 6.4 liters per 100klm fuel economy and then suddenly started getting 5.5 which I thought was pretty strange, and did advise the Ford dealer of this but not sure if it was an indicator of anything.

Well, the Ford dealer is waiting for the part to arrive tomorrow and will advise. I am in Melb this weekend but not sure if it will be ready so have flights booked and paid for out of Melb on Monday and won't be back home for 2 weeks. It will be a very cautious drive in it for a little while until I can become confident in the Mondeo again.

Fingers crossed
2019 Focus Titanium with sunroof and HUD

Last edited by Ibaker; 07-03-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Ibaker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #32
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibaker View Post
GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT....YAHOO...WOOHOO...Looks like they have finally found the problem.

they have said the the gearbox failures are due to a faulty EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Valve.

Fingers crossed
Fingers crossed indeed. Good luck.

Did they explain why a faulty EGR valve fault results a the gearbox failure? On the surface the two seem completely unrelated to me.

Hopefully it's fixed. If not I'd be getting a lawyer and seeking a refund on the car. Here's some inspiration:

https://autoexpert.com.au/videoblog/...the-court-said
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #33
Ibaker
Mondeo MD Titanium Wagon

Thanks Mate...they said the Gearbox or Transmission Error occurs when the valve is affecting the engine and the transmission can't cope, or doesn't know how to cope with what is happening to the engine hence disengaging and then try and engage again, disengage, try and engage etc

Geeze, I loved my old 250 TC Cortina...simply a proven engine on wheels, then my TD Cortina, skipped the TE and etc. The only Ford I have dislike was the BA Series 2 Fairmont Ghia but that was coming from my incredibly fantastic AU Fairmont Wagon
This user likes this post:
Old 07-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #34
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibaker View Post
Transmission Error occurs when the valve is affecting the engine and the transmission can't cope, or doesn't know how to cope with what is happening to the engine hence disengaging and then try and engage again, disengage, try and engage etc
Presumably the EGR fault would be logged in which case it's absurd it's taken so long to diagnose the potential cause. Maybe it's another one of those magical disappearing ford fault codes.

Anyway, good luck with it all. I've been through my own mondeo transmission woes so know it's not pleasant. Mine has been fixed for 2 yrs now and I still get nervous every time it feels a bit abnormal.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #35
cooperplace

Hi Ibaker, am watching this with interest. I've been thinking of buying one of these but will definitely hold off, and keep my car which has a torque converter......
cooperplace is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #36
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperplace View Post
Hi Ibaker, am watching this with interest. I've been thinking of buying one of these but will definitely hold off, and keep my car which has a torque converter......
Petrol models have a torque converter, so unless you must have a wagon, or a diesel, I'd get the petrol one instead.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #37
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Petrol models have a torque converter, so unless you must have a wagon, or a diesel, I'd get the petrol one instead.
The old NA peteol did. I think the ecoboost petrol has the powershift.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #38
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
The old NA peteol did. I think the ecoboost petrol has the powershift.
True for MC. With the MD, Ecoboost models also went to torque converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #39
cooperplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
yes, I must have a wagon. Having had falcon wagons (great cars but thirsty) I'd really like the economy of the diesel.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #40
R12RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperplace View Post
yes, I must have a wagon. Having had falcon wagons (great cars but thirsty) I'd really like the economy of the diesel.
I don't think anyone should be too frightened of buying a Mondeo with the DCT transmission. Being a wet clutch DCT they are far removed from the issues that affected the Focus.

While owners have experienced issues with this transmission in the past there are many that are approaching and have exceeded 200000km. Aso, the Talkford website isn't describing widespread issues with this transmission.

I have a diesel hatch with DCT. I've had zero issues with transmission in 70000km. In fact, I would rate this as the best automatic transmission I've experienced.

My only concern with this vehicle is when it comes to selling. Ignorance and fear surrounding the transmission may make it a difficult car to sell.
R12RT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #41
Ibaker
Mondeo MD Titanium Wagon

I drove the car from Melb to Syd today...I was going to do that next week but my flight this morning was cancelled and they moved me to another flight 12hrs later and I had an important meeting at 2pm...so it was 5:30am and I thought I would risk driving the car up. I drove up non stop almost breaking my bladder but had to test whether the EGR valve was the cause.

It didn't miss a beat...it was perfect, although 1 trip a solution does not make but it is looking good. The next trips will be at Easter time so I am making the assumption that those 2 trips will also be ok.

So unless it happens again I am now considering this issue as resolved...finally.

Thanks for every single one of your comments...greatly appreciated
Old 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #42
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great outcome, pending this continuing trouble free!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2019, 05:56 PM   #43
cooperplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
Presumably the EGR fault would be logged in which case it's absurd it's taken so long to diagnose the potential cause. Maybe it's another one of those magical disappearing ford fault codes.

Anyway, good luck with it all. I've been through my own mondeo transmission woes so know it's not pleasant. Mine has been fixed for 2 yrs now and I still get nervous every time it feels a bit abnormal.
what caused your fault? was it an easy fix?
thanks
Old 19-03-2019, 06:33 AM   #44
griifo002
Starter Motor

This has been a very informative thread and what a read.

I hope all goes well Ian ...From what I can tell these EGR valves cause issues in all brands and models.

I found this thread searching for answers for my daughters MC petrol ecoboost that is doing the same ....Its only in traffic tho not on the open road that the Transmission engine display comes up and she has to pull over ,wait,restart and away it goes ....It only happened twice weeks apart...After the first time it was due for a service so we booked it in a made the Ford aware of the Transmission issue....they said upon return that the serviced the gearbox and changed the oil.
It happen again yesterday on her way to work...She drove it home late last night ,so I have not seen her yet to hear how it went on the return trip.

I am bit confused here...Not sure what transmission it has??...To me its a auto...put it in D and away you go.
griifo002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #45
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by griifo002 View Post
This has been a very informative thread and what a read.

I hope all goes well Ian ...From what I can tell these EGR valves cause issues in all brands and models.

I found this thread searching for answers for my daughters MC petrol ecoboost that is doing the same ....Its only in traffic tho not on the open road that the Transmission engine display comes up and she has to pull over ,wait,restart and away it goes ....It only happened twice weeks apart...After the first time it was due for a service so we booked it in a made the Ford aware of the Transmission issue....they said upon return that the serviced the gearbox and changed the oil.
It happen again yesterday on her way to work...She drove it home late last night ,so I have not seen her yet to hear how it went on the return trip.

I am bit confused here...Not sure what transmission it has??...To me its a auto...put it in D and away you go.
If its the DCT gearbox, it will have "Power Shift" on the selector handle. Not sure about the traditional Auto box.....
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #46
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
If its the DCT gearbox, it will have "Power Shift" on the selector handle. Not sure about the traditional Auto box.....
Dual clutch transmission = "PowerShift"
Torque converter transmission = "SelectShift"

MC Duratec (petrol) = torque converter
MC EcoBoost (petrol) & Duratorq (diesel) = DCT

MD EcoBoost (petrol) = torque converter
MD Duratorq (diesel) = DCT

Quote:
Old 19-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #47
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by griifo002 View Post
Yes, it (Powershift) changes gears automatically and the driving experience (by design) is like an auto. However the internals have a lot more in common with a manual gearbox, it swaps gears and uses a clutch (two in fact).

Another way to think of it is it's like a manual gearbox, but you have a robot operating the clutch when you request a gear change (in manual/Sport mode) or also deciding when to change gears (in D).

In practice there are some things you should be aware of or actions you should never do that you might with a torque converter (e.g. don't hold the car on an incline with the accelerator; avoid creeping in traffic), but by and large you should be able to just drive without worrying about it. 'Til it needs servicing or repair...

Quote:
Old 19-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #48
griifo002
Starter Motor

Thx for the input...I always just assumed they(tha MA diesel and the MC Eco) were what we used to call sequential box...flick it over to the right and change gears...not that we never do....I am a old boy and keeping up is a challenge I tell you that...

The daughter is still asleep (home 3am)so we are yet to find out if she had issues again....I will update of course.
Ian too...lol.
Old 19-03-2019, 01:55 PM   #49
griifo002
Starter Motor

So she made it home( 1 hour drive) with out any issues.
I rang Ford and they want to get the car showing the error msg,don't stop it as the error display will disappear....thats going tobe difficult and dangerous imho.

She can take our car ...I'll just drive around in circles of a ford dealer waiting for the glitch...what a pain.
Old 30-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #50
Nathanp1982
Starter Motor

Hi could we get an update on this thread as to weather the egr has fixed the issue having the same dramas I’m sure I won’t be the only one either !
Nathanp1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #51
EJ Parr
Starter Motor

Hi IBaker and others with this issue.
I note that the YouTube videos no longer exist
I did use these to talk to the local Ford dealer on Orange about the issue and also the EGR replacement as a fix.
The issue first happened to me on a return trip from Brisbane in January 2019 and then repeated on a return trip from Brisbane in November 2020 with no occurrences in between
The local Ford dealer had the vehicle for about two weeks trying to get the issue to re-occur but with no luck.
I told them about the I Baker EGR replacement but all I got was a reprogramming of the EGR.
Ford have resurrected the case from Jan 2019 and spoken to the local Ford dealer here in Orange but I am yet to hear anything back.
Thanks
EJ Parr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #52
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I think it is lawyer time.

Under ACL you are also able to claim costs incurred as a result of car failure, so start documenting all those flights and other costs incurred when things went wrong.
I agree. I also know it's a right royal PITA to have to do that and sympathise.

Is it this fault: https://www.gdlauto.com.au/ford-mond...mission-fault/
Old 09-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #53
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I would also send Alan Howatt https://www.youtube.com/user/alan4x6677 an email message asking if he knows the likely cause and/or fix. Alan will sometimes answer subscribers/viewers question and he may know the cause and/or the fix.

Edit: I note that I missed page 2 of this thread and it was all resolved. I will leave this here though for the next person that has an issue. Alan seems to have known about the EGR valve anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHuW...nel=AlanHowatt and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FSE...nel=AlanHowatt

Last edited by aussiblue; 09-12-2020 at 07:33 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #54
EJ Parr
Starter Motor

Thanks for the advice about recording costs.
NRMA picked up costs for car relocation from Tamworth to Orange. Ford (or the local dealer) picked up costs for alternate car hire while local dealership was trying to find cause of the dangerous transmission issue.
Old 14-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #55
mud
Pommy Ford tragic

Unhappy Re: MD Diesel Transmission Woes

Ibaker no more problems with your transmission I hope?

I did a 900km trip last Sunday down to Perisher. Averaged 5.5L /100km, no problems.

On the way home just North of Cooma I had the Transmission Limited Function message come up too. She made the over 800km trip home ok but the gear changes were all over the place at times.
Old 14-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #56
EJ Parr
Starter Motor

The local Ford dealer eventually diagnosed a faulty EGR and after about two months the valve was replaced. It had to come from overseas.
Since the replacement of the EGR valve I have not had the problem. I have done one trip to Brisbane since replacement and not problem.
Ford offered a 25% contribution to the overall cost (EGR Valve and installation) due to the age of the vehicle. Better than nothing!
Old 02-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #57
lazerath72
Starter Motor

Have I got one of the dodgy transmissions???

A few weeks back we had the "Transmission limited function" error come up.
Vehicle gear change at low speeds was erratic, limped it home a couple of time since then.
We've had our trusted mechanic look into it only for him to be unable to replicate the fault, also had the trans serviced with a trans specialist also unable to replicate the fault.

Originally we had error codes, but now it doesn't seem to be logging anything when it happens...

2015 MD TDCI Modeo Titanium.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-08-02_11-09-20.jpg (31.7 KB, 26 views)
lazerath72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #58
Ibaker
Mondeo MD Titanium Wagon

I haven't had a problem since the EGR valve was replaced...another 40,000 klms and all good...thanks to Courtney and Patterson Ford for knowing exactly what was wrong in the first place compared to other dealers.

The Ford marketing team should all be sacked as this Mondeo Wagon Titanium is the best car I have had in 45 years...it has everything and the EGR valve has been the only issue in 80,000klms
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #59
EJ Parr
Starter Motor

Hi Lazerath72
Sounds like the same issue as mine. Limited transmission Function is, perhaps , a misnomer.
Get you dealer to replace the EGR and it should be all OK again.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #60
lazerath72
Starter Motor

Thanks for your feedback guys, car is booked into local dealership and I got some attention from Ford themselves from a brief facebook post on their facebook page... So we'll see were it leads.
lazerath72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post