Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #1141
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Black wagons with roof boxes look mad. I'd love a Volvo V90 with a nice sleek box.

Has anyone put a roof top tent on a box trailer?
I'm looking at buying a box trailer and getting some sort of frame to mount a roof top tent onto. I would like to be able to use the actual box part of the trailer for normal trailer things, but still be able to easily set up camp and leave it set up for a few days while still using the 4x4.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #1142
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Black wagons with roof boxes look mad. I'd love a Volvo V90 with a nice sleek box.

I'm looking at buying a box trailer and getting some sort of frame to mount a roof top tent onto. I would like to be able to use the actual box part of the trailer for normal trailer things, but still be able to easily set up camp and leave it set up for a few days while still using the 4x4.
Ive seen it done on a caged frame trailer and it seems to work well with kitchen setup under the RTT. I was going to go that way personally but find car camping in the wagon easier to an extent.

I wouldn't mind a box trailer setup or spend up on a pod trailer. But that is into a lot of moola for a rig like that.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2021, 09:05 PM   #1143
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I've looked into almost every set up and some of the dedicated offroad campers cost more than my car did new.

I like the idea of a box since it will be cheap and versatile.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #1144
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Yeah I've looked into almost every set up and some of the dedicated offroad campers cost more than my car did new.

Definitely worthwhile and a lot quicker to pack up. Some of the campers I've seen are a 2 man job and take up to an hour to properly pack away.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 16-09-2021, 09:11 PM   #1145
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

We went from a soft floor to a Ezytrail forward fold as i thought it would be more user friendly, boy was i wrong.
Yes the soft floor required a bit of effort to unpack and pack up again but they are so much more user friendly in terms of storage and maneuverability, the forward fold weighed a ton, had bugger all storage space and still took quite a bit of time to set up.
At the time we had the choice of forward fold or rear fold, we went forward fold as it gave you an elevated lounge area that doubled as an extra bed, problem was it was uncomfortable, cramped and was a pain to make and pack away the extra bed every day.
If i had my time again i would have bought the rear fold as you get heaps of under bed storage and although you dont get the built in lounge area or extra bed, the raised floor area is versatile.

As for making up your own rooftop on a frame, great idea as you can build it to suit your needs.
We have the Van now but when i go by myself i want something more compact so i recently bought an Oztent RS1 swag and 6x4 trailer.
The plan is to build a frame and platform on the trailer to set the swag up on when on site with storage and pull out kitchen underneath, wack an awning on the side and im set, I'll also have somewhere to put firewood for winter camping which is something i disliked not having the ability to take with the forward fold due to lack of storage room.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2021, 09:57 PM   #1146
hayseed

Quote:
I haven't done it Myself, But We've camped near people with that type of setup. Seemed to work OK..

Quote:

We just Bought a S/H Baggage trailer & carry our; Tent, Gazebo, Tables chairs & associated Crap in It. Have a solar cell on the Roof Fridge Mounted at the Front We're gradually getting Gas bottle/Jerry can Holders invertor ect fitted up to It..

Similar (But Different) to This..

Last edited by hayseed; 16-09-2021 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added a bit.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2021, 02:13 AM   #1147
WyldOne

Anyone here have Darche Dirty Dee swag. Looking for feedback or other similar swag recommendations
WyldOne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2021, 09:01 PM   #1148
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Anyone here familiar with the Skamper Kampers, in particular the Ranger model? There's a 2015 model advertised locally for $5k which looks to be in good condition.

Did an Internet search and the additional rooms look pretty tidy. I'm looking at buying a cheap van/camper to dip the toe in the water to see if the vaning thing is for me or not, without spending a fortune on something I may not like. Ultimately I'd love to get a maverick raptor, but this seems like a good option to test the water with.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2021, 11:18 PM   #1149
slowsnake
Banned

Have you looked at a 2nd hand A Van?

Cheers Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #1150
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Have you looked at a 2nd hand A Van?

Cheers Billy
I certainly haven't ruled anything in or out at this stage, Billy. I have been keeping an eye on the market for around 6 months or so now and have only seen a couple of the A vans pop up (bearing in mind that my criteria are less than 10k and in Vic).

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #1151
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldOne View Post
Anyone here have Darche Dirty Dee swag. Looking for feedback or other similar swag recommendations
I bought my swag from Anaconda in Perth, why I chose it was because every swag and tent they had for sale was set up, so you could see what's what, forget the name of mine it was 10 years ago, cost $350+ and I sold it 2 years later for same money, but if I had my choice over again, I would buy a swag off the ground, like the old camp stretcher but swag affixed, got pics somewhere of my complete set up, will have a look for you!

Regards William
Old 21-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #1152
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I certainly haven't ruled anything in or out at this stage, Billy. I have been keeping an eye on the market for around 6 months or so now and have only seen a couple of the A vans pop up (bearing in mind that my criteria are less than 10k and in Vic).
Oh how I miss my workshop, my prospecting and my retirement dream, all I had or did was over 10 years ago, but you should be able to find a manufacturer in Victoria, 10 grand is plenty for a new one, 10 years ago they were made in China, shipped in a package, ( think Ikea ) and they assembled them here and stuck a made in Australia sticker on it, try the camping mags and good luck.....

Regards William
Old 21-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #1153
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
if I had my choice over again, I would buy a swag off the ground, like the old camp stretcher but swag affixed, got pics somewhere of my complete set up, will have a look for you!

Regards William
The Oztent RS1 swag i have can be bought as a complete setup like that, i didnt bother with the stretcher part as i cant sleep on my back so i end up sore if i sleep on a stretcher.
I just bought a thicker foam mattress and use it with the included mattress.
Old 21-09-2021, 09:42 PM   #1154
blueoval
Critical Thinker

if I was looking for a swag I would definitely go for the stretcher type versions. Being off the ground and having some space to get changed on the flat is a bonus to me. I was given an old school on the ground swag with a mattress that is about 30mm thick. Pretty uncomfortable even on grass. Luckily I have setup my wagon as a car camping rig and it works for me perfectly.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #1155
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
if I was looking for a swag I would definitely go for the stretcher type versions. Being off the ground and having some space to get changed on the flat is a bonus to me. I was given an old school on the ground swag with a mattress that is about 30mm thick. Pretty uncomfortable even on grass. Luckily I have setup my wagon as a car camping rig and it works for me perfectly.
The good thing about the stretcher is when it rains overnight you don't have to get up and move it, I used to put mine head first uphill, or on a slight incline.
But I'd work out which way the roo's went in the morning to water, and put my 4x4 between me and the roo's!.......

Regards William
Old 24-09-2021, 05:30 AM   #1156
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
we owned a A'Van Cruiseliner for about 6 years. bloody loved it, 910kgs so **** easy to tow, 5 minutes set up time, no canvas, but they only sleep 2 people. When we bought ours they didn't make an off-road version, if they did we would have bought it. In the 6 years and towing it around more than half of Australia we had no problems with it at all, we sold it for $22.5k, we bought it for $28k. We only sold it coz the missus wanted an ensuite and north~south bed

As far as swags go, I own a Shepp made Darche, I have had it for maybe 15-20 years, it is still as waterproof now as the day I bought it. I bought a camp stretcher to put it on, it is a lot easier than sleeping on the ground at my age
Old 24-09-2021, 05:34 AM   #1157
Trevor 57
is now there

We just spent 7 days at Corringile Camping area just south of Orbost, a great spot, nestled between the Snowy River and the ocean. We would have stayed longer and we were booked in longer but Parks Victoria stuffed up our booking.

Old 24-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #1158
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
We just spent 7 days at Corringile Camping area just south of Orbost, a great spot, nestled between the Snowy River and the ocean. We would have stayed longer and we were booked in longer but Parks Victoria stuffed up our booking.

Seems a bit like going to a restaurant and they ask if you have a booking, so you look around and most of the tables are empty. got to love Govt bureaucracy. The beach looks like a prime spot Trev.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2021, 07:50 AM   #1159
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Nice Trevor, beach looks great. Maybe not Fraser Is but at least you got away.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #1160
Trevor 57
is now there

the beach was beautiful, unfortunately not great for kids swimming, but there were a few spots not too far away

The Snowy River was right beside us, there was a back water that the campground backed onto

We were on sites 11 & 13 from the 11th until tomorrow, the 25th, but the Parks double booked (long story) my site, 13 and we had to move yesterday so we decided to come home

Old 24-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #1161
slowsnake
Banned

You ever get out to Lake Eucumbene Trev!
They reckon it's ok if it's flat, but stay away if it's choppy, but very good fishing out deep.

Cheers Billy
Old 25-09-2021, 09:10 AM   #1162
Trevor 57
is now there

Sorry Billy, I don't fish, the ratio of fish versus water always leans in favour of the water
Old 25-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #1163
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Sorry Billy, I don't fish, the ratio of fish versus water always leans in favour of the water
That's the perfect answer Trev!,,,,,,,

You would make a fine politician, or Union organiser,

Cheers Billy
Old 25-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #1164
prydey
Rob

Quote:
]
Hey Trev, looks like a nice spot. What were the toilets like? Flush or long drop?
Old 25-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #1165
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Hey Trev, looks like a nice spot. What were the toilets like? Flush or long drop?
Long drop, but super clean and no smell. A contractor was in their cleaning twice in the7 days we were there
Old 05-10-2021, 09:09 PM   #1166
prydey
Rob

Another long weekend and another trip down to Naracoorte caves national Park.

My view for the weekend

View across a neighbouring property from one of the bush walks

Wandered down to Mt Gambier to check out the Umpherston sink hole. Been about 5 years since last visited. It hasn't really changed but it was a good drive and day out.

Plenty of these little guys come out at dusk apparently. We saw a couple. Very friendly but mainly for food so if you hold your hand out they will try and bite it.

Just thought I'd throw a couple of pics of how I keep my awning poles in place

If the wind picks up too much I'll still throw a couple of guy ropes on but these tether it down pretty well. I use screw in pegs with a cordless. They aren't pretty but I just happened to find 3 pieces of metal in my shed with just the right size holes. No idea where they are from but they work well.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 PM   #1167
blueoval
Critical Thinker

you take strapping poles down to the ground to a new level Rob

Ive never seen any almost chemically anchor down awning poles to the ground the way you do.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 09:45 PM   #1168
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Weather over our way was c r a p p y very cold blustery winds, looks better down your way.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:49 PM   #1169
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Weather over our way was c r a p p y very cold blustery winds, looks better down your way.
It had its moments but enough good weather to still get out and do a couple of walks etc. Quite windy still which kept the showers brief as they blew through pretty quick.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #1170
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So during my travels for wotk yesterday i decided to take my lunch break at a small campsite at Langhorne creek that ive been eyeing off for a number of weeks.
Got talking to some people who are regulars and decided to give it a go so when i got home i hooked the van up and off i went.

This is the first time ive had it out since removing the storage box but what a difference.
Not sure if its the removal of the box, change of tow tug or combination of both but for the first time in the 12 months weve had it, towing it was a pleasure and the Ranger did it with ease.

Campsite is ok, flushing long drop toilet cleaned regularly, 20 sites, $5/night, bit of traffic noise but not a deal breaker, would be 75% full, lots of wineries and places to see close by.

Expecting a bit of rain today so probably take a drive around, will get some pics and post up when i get home.
2 users like this post: