Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Flashing coolant light

Hey guys, 99 Series 1 Au Forte

I noticed yesterday before i drove off that my low engine coolant light came on and started flashing at me, i checked the coolant level and it was all perfectly normal, the car dosent over heat or anything like that, its not leaking and its fine,

I turned the car off then back on and it dissapeard all together never came back on all day,

Then it did it the same thing today,

Im stumped, Im going to change the coolant tommoro and give the car a flush,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
whiskers
gone fishing

same thing happens to me all the time frd I even took it to ford years ago about it and there isn't even a sensor connected to it (low level) has me stuffed as well but I just do what you done and all is good for ages sometimes a year
Old 18-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh it did happen to me ages ago when my parents owned the car, all we did was change the coolant and flushed the rad and it was all good,

Cheers for that

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 18-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I had that happen once. Low Coolant Warning came on.

There was only one problem with that.... it didn't have a coolant sensor turned out to be a wiring fault.

Check to see if your coolant tank has the components at the side of the tank in the little spout like tube.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah i dont have that, mines a pov pack, i wouldnt mine setting one up though

Old 18-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
Nah i dont have that, mines a pov pack, i wouldnt mine setting one up though
that's my point amigo, that's what mine was doing, it shouldn't be telling you anything about the coolant because the components aren't there.

It will prolly be a wiring fault take it to a sparky to get adjusted I wouldn't think it would cost that much.
Old 18-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah its all good, i just flushed the engine out today and replaced the coolant as a precuation and peace of mind cheers

Old 18-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
nah its all good, i just flushed the engine out today and replaced the coolant as a precuation and peace of mind cheers
cool. Hope that fixes it if you it keeps giving grief next time you see a auto elec. get em to have a look.
Old 19-10-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Nah i dont have that, mines a pov pack,
Mine's a S3 ghia and it doesn't the coolant sensor (in the header tank) either.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats strange Ron West, i no the 1.5 series 1 came out with them, but i throught it was standerd fittment on series 2 and 3

Old 20-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
whiskers
gone fishing

mine is the same as your frd, series 1 no sensor at all but still the warning light comes one every now and then.
scared the be-jesus out of me when it first happened lol
Old 20-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Thats strange Ron West, i no the 1.5 series 1 came out with them, but i throught it was standerd fittment on series 2 and 3
Well there was a "discussion" a year or two ago where some were adamant S1.2.3 had the sensors, others were just as adamant it was S1's only, still others were adamant it was only the higher series.

TBH I don't know but I do know that mine doesn't and there's no wiring for one either.

edit: my brothers s2 Futura didn't have one either...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

actually come to think of it, i think it was the thread i asked ages ago, DO I HAVE ABS , we disscussed it in there

Old 20-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just went through it, not overly disscuseed but was mentioned, apprently they never worked properly.

Old 27-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #15
VTV
Starter Motor

Question Re: Flashing coolant light

Hi I have this problem on my AU2 ute
It doesn't have the sensor on the filler bottle,I found a mention of a modification to the wiring to eliminate the false warning flashing.
It mentions a plug and yellow wire with a red trace between the Battery and suspension tower but I cannot find it.

Help anyone??
VTV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #16
Shambles56
Starter Motor

Default Flashing coolant light and Faulty Tacho fix on AU's

I just bought a 2001 AU2 Forte Wagon and it has the same flashing Coolant level light. After hours of searching I found out the following: Most AU2 I6 engines were not fitted with coolant level sensors but Ford didn't remove the light. Ford installed an earth loop wire to keep the useless light out. The earth this created was faulty and resulted in the Coolant light coming on and also in some cases the Tachometer reading going to full scale high. Ford then put out a fix which replaced this small loop with a hard wired earth to the battery. This is as much as I have found out. If anyone out there can provide photos of where this wire is and how to fix it we would greatly appreciate it. Thanx, Bazza.
Shambles56 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #17
CraigE

Default Re: Flashing coolant light

Did anyone actually find out what wire needed to be earthed as having this issues.
CraigE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post