Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
brad`
The Monty

Default Rear seatbelt not going back in!!

ok so i know this is a massive safty isue so i kinda wanna fix it as soon as i can, the rear passanger seat belt will not wind its self back in.

I pulled the pannel from the wall thinking hat the belt might have got twited some where but it hadent.

and well now imn stuck on what to do. it takes about 5 mins for me to manual feed it back in and made it so u cant use the seatbelt by putting it behind the chair.

anyone know how i can fix this ?

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
EvilChief
Boost Addict

only fix is replacement. the internal clockspring which is responsible for the retraction of teh seatbelt has broken and there is no fix for that.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Pretty much what Evilchief said ... and they can be a bit of a PITA to replace ... if it is your centre one ... have fun.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hang on guys.... stop always looking at worst case.
When you take it out wash it in warm soapy water.
More often than not they aren't stuffed they are
just dirty. The best way to clean is as I just stated.
At the end of the day it's worth a go b4 just
replacing and throwin away money if it isn't needed.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Just to mention too ( this happened to my drivers seat belt ), pull the belt out all the way and check it is not freyed on the edges of the belt, this can cause it to jam and retract very slow/ or not at all. If the belt is freyed at all , get a cigarette lighter and burn/melt off the freyed edges of the belt.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
brad`
The Monty

hey there isnt any freys in it as far as i can see... how do i tkae the entire emchanism off the lining of the car ?
and how much would i be looking at for a brand new one? somone said you cant get them from wreckers due to ssafty concerns or somethibng

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
AU1114ME
Starter Motor

Default AU rear seatbelts

Seems to be a common fault for the AU, I had one replaced under warranty and paid for the other one which cost $98.94 for the belt and $70.00 labour to fit from Ford. They gave me a lone car while they had mine which was an AU and both its rear belts were stuffed.
AU1114ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Take it out of the car and examine it by taking off plastic C pillar lining and undoing torx bolt that holds it in, also undo torx bolt that holds other end to the floor under the seat

Most of the times the plastic liner on the seatbelt spool breaks and jams it from retracting properly. When seatbelt is out of the car pull it completely out (as in totally unrolled from the spool) and look at the plastic liner part. Best way to describe it is like a spool of electric cable, imagine the drum of the cable and the seatbelt winding back onto it. You want to check the plastic drum part, under the plastic is a metal axle bit that does the rolling up. If you see this plastic part cracked just break it ALL off, you must get rid of all the plastic bits though and it should retract like normal.
The plastic is there to stop the belt fraying but will not affect seatbelt operation, if it looks frayed you should replace it anyway.

If the clock spring is broken it wont retract at all, yours sounds like it slowly retracts so I think you should be able to get away with the fix above.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

^^ sounds interesting, i also have this same problem. Will give it a go this weekend.
Old 13-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
AU1114ME
Starter Motor

Let us now how Jastel's fix go's for your rear belts.Also exercise caution when removing plastic trims, as they break easily around the clips.
AU1114ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
dippy1
Starter Motor

so, if it is a front seat belt problem... HOW DO YOU GET THE PILLAR COVER BACK ON???
Thanks for any help )
dippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

22 month threadmine... :( R.I.P.
Old 30-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippy1
so, if it is a front seat belt problem... HOW DO YOU GET THE PILLAR COVER BACK ON???
Thanks for any help )
same way you got it off???

line it up where the clips go, and bang it back in.

and for relevance, both my rear belts are dead i need to do this
Old 30-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have one in the rear of the SR that could use a little TLC.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine broke on me, i just replaced it, was a easier option, never had a problem since

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 11:44 PM   #16
Workshopdreams
Starter Motor

Default Re: Rear seatbelt not going back in!!

Hello,
Thanks for your input to this problem.
I have a couple of questions please regarding repairing a non retracting rear seat belt on my AU series 2 Fairmont Ghia
The plastic trim on the 'C' pillar seems fragile and it is advised to be careful to avoid breaking of the snap clips.
Question:- best method to get it off? and how are they attached?
Question:- can the clock spring be easily replaced if found broken. The belt retracted about 10 cm but stopped so I am hoping its just needs tensioning.
I will follow your advice about removing broken plastic bits etc.

Hoping you can help.
Workshopdreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2021, 10:49 PM   #17
marlin

In my experience... just a point of view. Silicone spray on seatbelts is a quick caryard fix all dealers know about, temporary. The spray does not fare well over time with heat inside the cabin. It becomes sticky then a redo is needed.
With AU's, ba & bf too, I've always had long term success with WD40 on the "hidden" part of the belt in the pillar & the spring roll itself.
I first thoroughly clean, vacuum & wipe down all inner pillar surfaces, plastics, & belt itself with eucalyptus spray from woolies.
With the cover plastics removed & the belt extended simply spray the recoil unit & the belts, liberally with WD40. Yes it will attract dust but is good for about 5 years before a reclean. Those plastics can also get pretty sharp from belt drag so give them a light sand to round edges on the inside.
You will find the recoil is much stronger & the belt will retract nicely to sit vertical in the pillar with no "hand feeding".
marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2021, 10:51 PM   #18
Workshopdreams
Starter Motor

Thankyou for your advice.

Regards,
Workshopdreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post