Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #1651
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Had a look at one yesterday and geezuz what a bit of gear. The suspension is just massive, the photos of what FORD have done to this truck in the suspension department don’t do it justice. Very impressed and is without peer. Rims and tyres look great, the 33s are just huge for a stock unit. Front buckets are very supportive. The side steps are huge given the pumped out guards - I’m 6 foot and my calf hits the step when exiting the vehicle. The step surface is extremely grippy, like a sandpaper finish.
I remember when Mercedes ran their G class units down the CSR as a big PR exercise 2/3 yrs ago, they were so confident of their toughness that they didn’t even take spare shocks - ended up being a mistake.
Looking at the sheer size of the RR’s suspension it’s obvious it would eat a G class on the CSR.....and full respect to a G class too.

Again the engine for me is perfect, not interested in anything bigger. A 210hp diesel through a ten speed is more than enough for me powering an insane off-road platform.

Kudos to FORD - what an off-road weapon.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #1652
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Any Western suburbs Adelaide people want a peek, Maughan Thiem have one sitting out front I'm sure they'd love to send you bush bashing in (well maybe across the divider on Port Road).

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #1653
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Had a look at one yesterday and geezuz what a bit of gear. The suspension is just massive, the photos of what FORD have done to this truck in the suspension department don’t do it justice. Very impressed and is without peer. Rims and tyres look great, the 33s are just huge for a stock unit. Front buckets are very supportive. The side steps are huge given the pumped out guards - I’m 6 foot and my calf hits the step when exiting the vehicle. The step surface is extremely grippy, like a sandpaper finish.
I remember when Mercedes ran their G class units down the CSR as a big PR exercise 2/3 yrs ago, they were so confident of their toughness that they didn’t even take spare shocks - ended up being a mistake.
Looking at the sheer size of the RR’s suspension it’s obvious it would eat a G class on the CSR.....and full respect to a G class too.

Again the engine for me is perfect, not interested in anything bigger. A 210hp diesel through a ten speed is more than enough for me powering an insane off-road platform.

Enough with the positivity aye, this is where Ford fans come to bag the Raptor
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #1654
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
This is a forum.

Again you missed the point as the vid shows its put on a chassis dyno and then supposedly for 18 days straight !!!! For 18 days at full throttle as is inferred without major diff and trans coolers etc they would give up let alone the engine. Total crap if you believe that.

Yes, they do test engines on ENGINE dyno's for lengthy periods but even on an engine dyno none would survive full throttle for 18 continuous days.

I assume you have seen Fords vid torture testing the F150 V6 ecoboost where they ENGINE dyno it at full throttle for 1 HOUR and then do separate hot and cold running tests etc etc all done over a period of weeks.

The guy in this vid infers a 18 day porkie and you believe it
You just kept making yourself look dumber with every post.

Funny how I see this stuff every day at work, yet you know better.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #1655
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://giphy.com/gifs/internet-arguments-4JovUkuP2EWl2

Last edited by PG2; 09-10-2018 at 11:59 PM. Reason: so that people could really see how silly this all is.
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #1656
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

So how about after all the comments based on opinion and factory workers thoughts, we actually hear from someone who's got 1?
By now someone on here must have one, they are out there so who can give some actual real world opinions not just a test drive here or there?
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #1657
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post

When do you pick yours up? What colour did you go for?
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #1658
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You just kept making yourself look dumber with every post.

...I remember my Chemistry professor once saying "If I cannot see it, touch it or smell it, it doesn't exist".
I feel your frustration in trying to explain a testing regime you witness with your own eyes.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #1659
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=ozrunner;6200747]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post

Oh boy. Did you not read the following

"I assume you have seen Fords vid torture testing the F150 V6 ecoboost where they ENGINE dyno it at full throttle for 1 HOUR and then do separate hot and cold running tests etc etc all done over a period of weeks.

Yes, I know they do all sorts of torture testing over a period of time including hot to cold on an engine dyno and at max rpm etc and in the V6 ecoboost tests this was at 1 hour intervals.

But the muppet in the vid says

"Next the ultimate endurance test, full throttle for 18 days straight" and its shown doing this on a chassis dyno in 4wd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB3OBo7_SjI

Bossxr8 then quoted this to me in response to my previous general reply to Prydey and I then called it that dudes statement has to be BS.

Now you're coming on board saying "Or how they run them flat out for 2 and a half months. 18 days....pfft."

Huh. 2 1/2 months !!! Mate, I think you're getting a tad mixed up between continuous and your flat out .

"You may want to do a bit of reading on how Ford do their torture testing."

Do you have a link ?
That was the first one that came up on google.
There are hundreds of these kind of articles. Better ones go far more in depth.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts...coyote-engine/

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #1660
flybull
Starter Motor

Ive driven it 3 times now -

1 st drive, dealer had just received it - wasn't even fully prepared. Had a short (10min) sedate drive, my impression was it was quieter and smoother than my previous PXII XLT, and performance felt similar.

2nd drive was FAR more enthusiastic, with the sales person encouraging me to "explore" the vehicle's capability with Sport and Baja modes, using every speed bump, traffic island and roundabout as obstacles to be conquered! Which we did I had a mate in the back, and all 3 of us were giggling like idiots for whole drive.

The Raptor has plenty of urge at lower speeds, with the transmission in sport and Baja being good, very good infact, - the paddle shift wasn't needed, but it was fun. Up around highway speed (80km/h +) its evident the engine doesn't have the thrust it could have. Its not slow, but wouldn't call it quick at those speeds. The engine sounds great. After this drive I knew i wanted one.

The 3rd test drive had me with solo with the Raptor for an hour - driving around to a couple friends - for a quick lap around the block. Their reactions were extremely positive (thats important to me - ill be honest)

Upon return to the dealer - i put my money where my mouth is - and bought one. In Grey.

"I just want one" should belong to Ford now. Cant wait!!!
flybull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #1661
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
So how about after all the comments based on opinion and factory workers thoughts, we actually hear from someone who's got 1?
By now someone on here must have one, they are out there so who can give some actual real world opinions not just a test drive here or there?

Factory workers ? Lol
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #1662
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybull View Post
Upon return to the dealer - i put my money where my mouth is - and bought one. In Grey.
What's the lead time?
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #1663
flybull
Starter Motor

it was a cancelled order. In-stock.
flybull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #1664
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Congratulations and well done..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #1665
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
When do you pick yours up? What colour did you go for?
Lmao - this is the last place I’d mention if I bought one - period. Wouldn’t waste my time for the same reason we probably haven’t heard from articulatedsphinx.
The wife liked it, our rediculously long legged daughter gave it the thumbs up after sitting in the back and the lease expired on our F6 5 months ago.......

I’ll give ya a tip though mate - many will truly appreciate what FORD have done here without buying one. $80 000 is a hell of a lot of money to anyone. Underneath is an off-road masterpiece, whether I buy one or not doesn’t change my praise for the engineering that’s gone into this thing. I was literally blown away when I looked underneath it, awestruck would be the word if I had to pick one.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #1666
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
=Bossxr8;6201088]You just kept making yourself look dumber with every post.
Really. Keep reading.

Quote:
Have you seen the video Ford have posted, where they run it at full throttle for 18 days straight on a chassis dyno?
You have a go at me by quoting the above 18 day continuous test as being gospel and god forbid you still seem to believe it. I simply pointed out the dudes summary is obvious BS. For christ sake look at the vid facts.

First off, the dude says Ford's complex testing of the Ranger was undertaken HERE and it's a freaking shed on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere with two gravel roads, no electricity etc etc, yet that's where Ford carried out all those comprehensive tests on the Ranger. Yeah right.

Surely you would also be aware that before running a vehicle on a chassis dyno the first thing the operator does is position and turn on a monstrous fan in front of the grill yet they are only going to be doing WOT bursts for seconds, not 18 freaking continous days.

Now look at 3.26 in the vid.

There's not even a freaking fan in place for your 18 continous days dyno run. Explain that?

Then we have another poster say it doesn't matter as all temps stabilise in an hour or so due to basic thermodynamics. Might want to email accredited shops like PWR that make and sell various quality coolers and ask them are they screwing us and F1 teams as they're not needed. Also advise all the various other professional race teams that spending time and money on elaborate trans, diff coolers and even dry sumps to get the hot oil out is BS as thermodymanics rule. F.... me.

I previously also mentioned it couldn't survive 18 continous days at WOT without major coolers and now seeing there's not even a rad fan in place I'll now revise that and say the engine would have blown well before 18 days and probably more like 18 minutes.

Now Einstein let it run past 3.26 and you will notice Ford's comprehensive testing SHED where all this happened appears to be freaking empty !!!!! It also must have a wide open corridor between all this so called testing equipment so the Raptor could wind up for exit.

I suspect that's the same shed where Ford must have signed off on the FG's diff bushes

As a point of interest I don't know whether you watched Bathurst but this add was shown many times during its telecast BUT only from late 3.26, which also makes me wonder why.

So sorry to burst you bubble but its fairly obvious your gospel 18 days straight chassis dyno run in a shed in the middle of nowhere that probably doesn't even exist is total and utter BS so I'm not the one looking dumb as you can take that crown.

MC. Mate, that's a great link and awesome to see what they did with the Coyote but as suspected the tests mentioned would be regarded as the norm. There's a big difference between continuous versus various tests done at intervals over a period of time, which is not the issue here. My point was the dudes reference to a 18 day continous chassis dyno test if it's not a grammatical error it's total BS, yet some here still seem to believe it.
ozrunner is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #1667
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

so, what's your basis and background for those statements. Me? I'm part of the development team with a twenty year history of automotive cooling work.

and yes, PWR and co are milking people, but that's fine. it's their business. see my history of posts on this forum about whether you genuinely need any aftermarket coolers or not.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #1668
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really. Keep reading.

You have a go at me by quoting the above 18 day continuous test as being gospel and god forbid you still seem to believe it. I simply pointed out the dudes summary is obvious BS. For christ sake look at the vid facts.

First off, the dude says Ford's complex testing of the Ranger was undertaken HERE and it's a freaking shed on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere with two gravel roads, no electricity etc etc, yet that's where Ford carried out all those comprehensive tests on the Ranger. Yeah right.

Surely you would also be aware that before running a vehicle on a chassis dyno the first thing the operator does is position and turn on a monstrous fan in front of the grill yet they are only going to be doing WOT bursts for seconds, not 18 freaking continous days.

There's not even a freaking fan in place for your 18 continous days dyno run. Explain that?

Then we have another poster say it doesn't matter as all temps stabilise in an hour or so due to basic thermodynamics. Might want to email accredited shops like PWR that make and sell various quality coolers and ask them are they screwing us and F1 teams as they're not needed. Also advise all the various other professional race teams that spending time and money on elaborate trans, diff coolers and even dry sumps to get the hot oil out is BS as thermodymanics rule. F.... me.

I previously also mentioned it couldn't survive 18 continous days at WOT without major coolers and now seeing there's not even a rad fan in place I'll now revise that and say the engine would have blown well before 18 days and probably more like 18 minutes.

Now Einstein let it run past 3.26 and you will notice Ford's comprehensive testing SHED where all this happened appears to be freaking empty !!!!! It also must have a wide open corridor between all this so called testing equipment so the Raptor could wind up for exit.

I suspect that's the same shed where Ford must have signed off on the FG's diff bushes

As a point of interest I don't know whether you watched Bathurst but this add was shown many times during its telecast BUT only from late 3.26, which also makes me wonder why.

So sorry to burst you bubble but its fairly obvious your gospel 18 days straight chassis dyno run in a shed in the middle of nowhere that probably doesn't even exist is total and utter BS so I'm not the one looking dumb as you can take that crown.

MC. Mate, that's a great link and awesome to see what they did with the Coyote but as suspected the tests mentioned would be regarded as the norm. There's a big difference between continuous versus various tests done at intervals over a period of time, which is not the issue here. My point was the dudes reference to a 18 day continous chassis dyno test if it's not a grammatical error it's total BS, yet some here still seem to believe it.
I had to re-read your post before realizing you actually think the ad was showing Ford's engine testing lab. I think you now know Simon's background.
6 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2018, 12:14 AM   #1669
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Ladies and Gentlemen

I've highlight this post red as I want people to take notice of what I am posting here because quite frankly some people are not getting the hint from my previous posts from other threads.

Once again, I find myself reading some of the stuff that some of you post up and I just can't help but shake my head.

Once again, I find myself repeating myself but here goes again;

1. Stop having a go at each other. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - some opinions may be more qualified than others but they are still their opinions.

2. THIS IS A FORD FORUM!!! IT AMAZES ME THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE THAT COME ONTO THIS FORUM AND CONTINUE TO BAG FORD PRODUCT. Quite frankly I am getting sick of it and from what I have read in the pub area lately so are other AFF members on here.

The administraton of AFF have no dramas if you want to comment on how the vehicle is not for you and why but there is no need to argue with the real Ford fans who just want to get onto AFF and talk about how great their Fords are.

Last edited by PG2; 10-10-2018 at 12:21 AM.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2018, 12:27 AM   #1670
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I had to re-read your post before realizing you actually think the ad was showing Ford's engine testing lab. I think you now know Simon's background.
All those billions in R & D....
Old 10-10-2018, 12:31 AM   #1671
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be interesting to see what the Brits and Euros think of Ranger Raptor,
I think it may do surprisingly well over there..
Old 10-10-2018, 05:34 AM   #1672
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
finally, someone who owns one & can give some credible feedback, thanks for your views, love to hear updates after the first week, month, 3 months etc & don't forget the pics!

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #1673
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Imagine if they start asking for Ecoboost powerplants .. or better yet the Lion V6.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #1674
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Really. Keep reading.

This is just too funny. Using an obviously computer generated advertisement as evidence the tests must be fake. Oh my freaking god.

Even a 12 year old would realise that it's computer generated, and not the actual facilities Ford use to do their testing.

Thanks for making my day, I needed that laugh. Brilliant
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #1675
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Surprising.

I would have thought it was way too big for their B roads?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #1676
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Surprising.

I would have thought it was way too big for their B roads?
Doesnt biggest vehicle get right of way over there??
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #1677
humungus
Starter Motor

Quote:
Ive driven it 3 times now -

1 st drive, dealer had just received it - wasn't even fully prepared. Had a short (10min) sedate drive, my impression was it was quieter and smoother than my previous PXII XLT, and performance felt similar.

2nd drive was FAR more enthusiastic, with the sales person encouraging me to "explore" the vehicle's capability with Sport and Baja modes, using every speed bump, traffic island and roundabout as obstacles to be conquered! Which we did I had a mate in the back, and all 3 of us were giggling like idiots for whole drive.

The Raptor has plenty of urge at lower speeds, with the transmission in sport and Baja being good, very good infact, - the paddle shift wasn't needed, but it was fun. Up around highway speed (80km/h +) its evident the engine doesn't have the thrust it could have. Its not slow, but wouldn't call it quick at those speeds. The engine sounds great. After this drive I knew i wanted one.

The 3rd test drive had me with solo with the Raptor for an hour - driving around to a couple friends - for a quick lap around the block. Their reactions were extremely positive (thats important to me - ill be honest)

"I just want one" should belong to Ford now. Cant wait!!!

Just a few thoughts to add.
I have had mine for just over a week. The above review is accurate. The Raptor replaces my 2012 Wildtrak. In comparison the Raptor is much sportier on the road, it won't set the place on fire but it is enjoyable. The sound in the cabin is good too although I have yet to work out if it is piped through the speakers as some have reported. On the dirt it is a blast and worth every cent paid.
It is noticeably heavier when driving. I have read it is 200kg heavier than a Wildtrak, it's engine is 60kg lighter and it is minus the roller shutter weight. The wishbones are alloy for better unsprung weight so most of the additional weight must be in chassis strengthening which is OK by me. Someone with more knowledge may be able to shed light on where the weight is gained?

Today on wet roads it is a lot of fun, much better than my PX1 and safer. I'd like to push it to see how far it will go but too many cars around to do that. Generally leave it in sport mode on the bitumen and baja on dirt for fun and it IS fun.

If they brought out a 2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost I wouldn't immediately go for the more powerful option. I wouldn't want anymore weight than it already has in fact I would prefer if they could put it on a diet with out compromising strength. Also economy is important for range for my occasional outback trips. The problem with all engines nowadays is their complexity, so the Raptor is not alone here. No longer can you work on these things on the side of the road to get them going if they breakdown. Not the old fuel, air, spark approach of yesteryear! (you can tell my hair is grey : )
humungus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #1678
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is just too funny. Using an obviously computer generated advertisement as evidence the tests must be fake. Oh my freaking god.

Even a 12 year old would realise that it's computer generated, and not the actual facilities Ford use to do their testing.

Thanks for making my day, I needed that laugh. Brilliant
No mate, I'm the one now laughing as you have now done a complete reversal an admitted that the vid "where everything happens HERE" is no doubt CGI as I alluded to and the 18 day continuous test as is shown that you yourself hung your hat on, is also total BS and it didn't happen nor could it happen in that guise as it wouldn't even last a day. Thanks for that. Cheers.
ozrunner is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #1679
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I think it might be best if the 18 day debate ended now, before holidays are handed out.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #1680
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

This thing certainly has generated a lot of controversy in its short time.

Interestingly it has also generated a lot of new members or members who've been around a while but havent made many posts until recently.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post