Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 20-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
davo63
Starter Motor

Angry XR5 Rear Brakes

I've owned a Mondeo XR5 for 2 and 1/2 years with 68500kms on the clock.
The service dealer informed me that the rear brake pads and rotors require replacement. The rear pads were replaced around the 32000km mark.

When I questioned the service dealer the reply was that it is common with the Mondeos. Can anyone confirm or deny this and whether i have a problem regarding the set up as all previous cars owned i've never replaced rear pads.

davo63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Ours had 85000+km and never had anything done to the brakes so far.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

I've been informed our rear brake pads need changing. Currently at 37000 kays. Apparently the focus is the same (or so I've been told). Is there some rear brake bias applied on these cars? Got quoted about $280 fitted from Ford. Any aftermarket options?
Old 21-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parents Ford Focus zetec just had pads and discs replaced all round at 36000km's... the discs and pads are incredibly soft. I would assume that there is quite a bit of rear brake bias.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just done 70,000km on my XR5 with no pad or disk changes, was 'plenty' of pad front & rear at 60,000km service (I'll have to check the service record, as I'm sure the dealer records it). The brake bias is set to the rear particularly for low speed, round town, applications, this assist with anti-dive (a Volvo development?). The harder the pressure the more force to the fronts.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
yelpir

My rear pads were changed at 45K too (95% city driving). After market options are available, better to go for after market pads and rotor at the same time was what i was told. The pads are very soft and wear out comparatively quicker but they do a great job in stopping the car. The change to the after market options should make them last longer. Any good mechanic would be able to help. I know I once spoke to someone at Kmart auto and he had a few good options.
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Mine were done at 45K. Quoted $220 from the dealer, local brake shop $155 including machining the discs. Rears have 'grooves' in the discs, which will need the discs being replaced one day.
Fronts will need to be done next at 60K, but it will be gone by then.

Judging by the amount of brake dust on my alloys, they must be very soft.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Rear brakes are not like they used to be, ABS has allowed the rears to do a lot more of the ‘braking’ so replacing rear pads is common now. I replaced my rear pads at 67,000, disks were still within spec, fronts still had plenty of pad life left. As I said in the other forum, get a 2nd opinion because it is certainly NOT common on the XR5 to be replacing pads and disks at 32,000 and pads again at 65,000!!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rear pads only at 37,000 km. They said the rotors were OK but will probably need replacing at the next service.

The front pads still look good at 49,000 km but the rotors are noticeably worn. I can only assume that the pad material is optimised for factors other than rotor wear! If I do need to replace all 4 rotors at the next service, than I'll be investigating aftermarket rotors and pads.
Old 25-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #10
marcusturbo

I'd love to say that the dealer is pullin' a fast one here and just getting money out of you but not so sure.

I'd say that the brake pads are very soft going by the amount of brake dust that covers my wheels in one week of driving, mainly school runs. The front wheels are pretty black and the rears do have a fair amount as well, maybe about 1/3rd of the fronts. I'm not sure about the rotors but I can't imagine then being that soft that they need replacing after approx 70k km's. Your best option would be to ask the dealership what the minimum rotor thickness is and then get them to show you how much "meat" is left on yours. Or do it yourself is you have some vernier calipers.

I do personally like a softer brake pad as it means that the brakes are nice and sharp from the moment you drive, unlike my motorbike which needs a hard pad to help stop from higher speeds more often without fade after a few stops.
Old 25-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree - Euro cars seem to have "softer" pads and rotors than Jap or Oz cars. My XR6 got to 75,000 kms without a pad change, and my wife's Accord is at 110,000 kms without any brake work.

You might be on the right track with your comment about the brakes feeling "sharp". Some parts of Europe have very cold winters, so the pads may be optimised to work well when the rotors are at -20°.

I've never had fade with the Mondeo, but after some "brisk" driving on a windy and hilly back road, there was smoke pouring off the front brakes when I stopped and the rears had started squealing very loudly. (Was a little embarrassing actually.) So I will definitely be looking for a more performance oriented pad material whan the time comes.